G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - California

02-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

test ride ?

hi Guys,

I'm debating between a M3p and new G80 but never got a chance to ride in a g80.. anyone be open to meeting up and giving a test ride to a fellow member?

I'm in orange county.

Thanks,

Steve
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

I have both. M3p is the best bang for the money but it's pretty boring after you get used to the acceleration. My g80 is faster than the m3p and always brings a smile to my face. I just love driving the g80. My m3p is for my long commute only.
      02-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #3
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

I have a model Y performance, and I've ordered a g80 without ever riding/driving one. Haha. I wasn't able to find one to ride in or drive, either.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 10:26 PM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Whats m3p?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
BTC Maxi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Whats m3p?
Model 3 performance I'm assuming
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      02-16-2022, 03:16 AM   #6
mikezmoney
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 comp xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
hi Guys,

I'm debating between a M3p and new G80 but never got a chance to ride in a g80.. anyone be open to meeting up and giving a test ride to a fellow member?

I'm in orange county.

Thanks,

Steve
I should be able to pick mine up in another week or so. I'd be happy to do a test ride with you. Will let you know once I pick her up.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys for the responses and offers to have a ride.

I actually got to drive both a g80 6 speed and g82 competition and determined the following:

-the interior is very luxurious and plush, the cars have tremendous quality
-the steering is lighter and improved although I had some issues with the g80 (intervention)
-I can feel the increase in weight (incl. transfer) and size (its a much bigger car)
-power is now opposite of f80 (nothing in the low end and everything in the top end)
-the automatic is the way to go due to the power profile change
-the exhaust sounds better (and the fake sound inside)

Overall I feel the f80 is a more raw and smaller feeling car. You feel like you're sitting in a cockpit and the car is more tossable. The G80 feels like you're sitting on top of the car and in a big GT sedan that's way more comfortable but doesn't evoke a pure sports car feeling.

Compared to the M3P, at low speeds (<60mph) the m3P with its weight at the bottom of the car feels more planted and corners alot better with better grip. Above that speed it does start to plateau but it still picks up ok.

Overall a bit dissappointed with the next gen G8x. Honestly I think I would wait for the next gen M2 at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Thanks guys for the responses and offers to have a ride.

I actually got to drive both a g80 6 speed and g82 competition and determined the following:

-the interior is very luxurious and plush, the cars have tremendous quality
-the steering is lighter and improved although I had some issues with the g80 (intervention)
-I can feel the increase in weight (incl. transfer) and size (its a much bigger car)
-power is now opposite of f80 (nothing in the low end and everything in the top end)
-the automatic is the way to go due to the power profile change
-the exhaust sounds better (and the fake sound inside)

Overall I feel the f80 is a more raw and smaller feeling car. You feel like you're sitting in a cockpit and the car is more tossable. The G80 feels like you're sitting on top of the car and in a big GT sedan that's way more comfortable but doesn't evoke a pure sports car feeling.

Compared to the M3P, at low speeds (<60mph) the m3P with its weight at the bottom of the car feels more planted and corners alot better with better grip. Above that speed it does start to plateau but it still picks up ok.

Overall a bit dissappointed with the next gen G8x. Honestly I think I would wait for the next gen M2 at this point.
I can't compare to a M3P since I haven't driven one properly, but I can compare to a my F80 M3 CS and the G8X is the better handling car over the F80. It's better balanced, has more grip, has more power, and puts power down more effectively. The G8X, despite being bigger and heavier, actually has more lateral grip than the F80, even with 200tw track tires. I too, noticed the size of the G80 while sitting in the cockpit, but that disappears at speed and during cornering. Admittedly, sitting in the car going 45 in stop-and-go is going to happen more often than going 134mph down a straight into a 80mph banked turn, so it depends on what you are doing with the car.

While I have only had one track day in the G80 compared to years of tracking in my F80, the improvement is explicit and significant. It's hands down the better "sports car" if you do what sports cars are supposed to do. I posted about it here: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1902559

Good luck with your next purchase!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      03-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #9
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I can't compare to a M3P since I haven't driven one properly, but I can compare to a my F80 M3 CS and the G8X is the better handling car over the F80. It's better balanced, has more grip, has more power, and puts power down more effectively. The G8X, despite being bigger and heavier, actually has more lateral grip than the F80, even with 200tw track tires. I too, noticed the size of the G80 while sitting in the cockpit, but that disappears at speed and during cornering. Admittedly, sitting in the car going 45 in stop-and-go is going to happen more often than going 134mph down a straight into a 80mph banked turn, so it depends on what you are doing with the car.

While I have only had one track day in the G80 compared to years of tracking in my F80, the improvement is explicit and significant. It's hands down the better "sports car" if you do what sports cars are supposed to do. I posted about it here: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1902559

Good luck with your next purchase!
Hey Thanks for the feedback .. much appreciated.

You're right maybe more seat time in the car would change my mind.
Doesn't help that it's almost impossible to buy one at a reasonable price at this time.

Cheers,
Steve
Appreciate 0