BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-10-2022, 04:24 AM   #1
emptied
Rep
Drives: In-production 2022 M3 Base

6MT auto hold

Does anyone know of a way to disable auto hold on 6MT? I would much rather manually control whether my car rolls back or not.

The owner's manual says there's a button for automatics, but there's no information for their manual brethren. I looked through iDrive car settings but didn't see anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:04 AM   #2
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptied View Post
Does anyone know of a way to disable auto hold on 6MT? I would much rather manually control whether my car rolls back or not.

The owner's manual says there's a button for automatics, but there's no information for their manual brethren. I looked through iDrive car settings but didn't see anything.
The 'hold' feature on BMW manual transmissions to prevent them from rolling back has been around since the E90/E92. That doesn't prevent the car from rolling forward or, after 2 seconds, rolling backward if the brake isn't activated.

That's different from Auto Hold, which prevents BMWs with automatics from rolling forward without the brake pedal depressed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:13 AM   #3
emptied
Rep

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't even realize that the automatic's Auto Hold feature had a totally different intent.

So for the feature I meant to refer to (which I'll just call hill assist), I take it there is no configurability?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Funny you mentioned this as this is the first manual I have owned with auto hold. Honestly at first I hated it and was harder for me to get initiated up a big hill without over reving, etc. now I have it figured out and think it's a pretty cool feature, but not sure how or if you can deactivate.

I'll never forget my first manual and getting on steep hills only to stop at a light with the car behind me on my ass. Also make me nervous as hell until I get used to it.
      01-10-2022, 08:25 AM   #5
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Funny, I noticed mine does NOT engage the auto hold and rolls back a little on uphills.
But then, I've only driven my car a couple of hundreds of miles so far so I may have not met a steeper hill that triggers this feature.
It definitely does not engage as often as my previous F87 for sure.
Doesn't bother me much but it's something I've noticed on my G82.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #6
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

If you come to a complete stop and release the brake it holds for 2 seconds. If you don’t come to a full stop using the brakes, if you touch the brake again after releasing, or if you move forward at all, it will cancel the hold. There is no setting to turn it off but it’s pretty non- intrusive.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
ram9cc
Private
Rep
Drives: -

... adapt...

I'm guessing you don't live in sf where having to do a hill stop in a manual with a parking brake is a pain and having the benefit of a double tap on the brakes and not needing to burn the clutch to get started is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #8
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

I don't believe you can turn it off. Of the many modern manuals I've had that have this feature, I find the G80's hill hold assist to be the least intrusive (as someone stated above), the most predictable, and frankly the least offensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #9
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptied View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't even realize that the automatic's Auto Hold feature had a totally different intent.

So for the feature I meant to refer to (which I'll just call hill assist), I take it there is no configurability?
As far as i know, no. But it helps especially parking on hills in the city.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:34 PM   #10
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram9cc View Post
... adapt...

I'm guessing you don't live in sf where having to do a hill stop in a manual with a parking brake is a pain and having the benefit of a double tap on the brakes and not needing to burn the clutch to get started is a plus.
THIS....

The hill assist is awesome when parking in the city...but then you gotta worry about those who just bump your car to get into a space
Appreciate 1
ram9cc96.50
      01-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #11
iMi84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Is there a brake hold on the manuals like in at? Ie, if I'm at a stop light on a very very slight grade and take my foot of the brake I won't roll at all?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:19 PM   #12
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMi84 View Post
Is there a brake hold on the manuals like in at? Ie, if I'm at a stop light on a very very slight grade and take my foot of the brake I won't roll at all?
I think it only kicks in when the clutch pedal is pressed down, shifter in gear, and you come off the brake to start to move forward. I have backed down part of my driveway a few times in neutral, and when you come off the brake pedal, it just rolls backwards.

Not sure if you're on a downhill facing forward, clutch in, shifter in reverse, whether it holds you as you come off the brake pedal to back up. I've had cars that held in both directions, and some that don't. Need to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #13
ram9cc
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMi84 View Post
Double pump the brake and then its a 2 second hold. - enough time to let out just the clutch and this oh so sophisticated car will match the appropriate amount of fuel and pull the car forward while letting go of the brake hold .. it's gorgeous.. blows my mind..

This car really is generous to a manual transmission driver - none of my other cars, all manuals save one, have been so easy to crawl around in traffic. The hill hold i got used to in my first WRX STI. Its really pleasant when one lives on a hill, parks on a hill and drives around San Francisco.

Thats just me - i'm not interested in working against such an intelligent design 🙏😂☺️
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:57 AM   #14
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

You have multiple options if for some reason you want to roll backwards on public roads without your reverse lights on in a world where 99% of other drivers do not understand what a manual transmission is or does, or what its purpose may be:
  1. Shift to neutral. The hill assist is set to work when you are in gear, clutch depressed.
  2. Depress the brake fully, take your foot off it, and lightly press it again (this should disengage it).
  3. Take your foot off the brake for 2 seconds.

All of these scenarios will result in you rolling backwards down a hill towards whatever end that may serve.

Hill assist, while a little weird, takes away the need to use the e-brake on a particularly steep hill (especially when a dumbass is sitting right on your bumper behind you). I never found it to be invasive on any of my BMWs.

The final note i'll leave you with is that playing with brake pressure did actually impact the engagement on my F80. . . I can't comment on the G80 programming yet, but if you lightly depress the brake, hill assist generally won't kick on. You have to get to like 20%/25% depression.

Try playing with the brake depress amount as noted above on a hill (with no other moron drivers around) and see what happens. Also confirm that the neutral/in gear requirement is still in effect in the G80.

Hope this helps a bit!

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 2
ram9cc96.50
vtol_427.00
      01-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #15
djpapeleta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Funny you mentioned this as this is the first manual I have owned with auto hold. Honestly at first I hated it and was harder for me to get initiated up a big hill without over reving, etc. now I have it figured out and think it's a pretty cool feature, but not sure how or if you can deactivate.

I'll never forget my first manual and getting on steep hills only to stop at a light with the car behind me on my ass. Also make me nervous as hell until I get used to it.
Lol funny you mention this. My first manual would make me nervous as hell on a hill. I remember every time I would do a burnout leaving the hill revving hard to not roll back or get stuck.
Appreciate 1
Flying051307.00
      01-12-2022, 08:50 PM   #16
emptied
Rep

Thanks for the detailed breakdown on how it engages. I’ll just get used to it. Shouldn’t be a big deal.

I was mainly unnerved when it was kicking in on a very very slight grade in a parking spot. It was the first time I experienced hill assist and I thought I was colliding with the parking block or something worse. Also takes some getting used to creeping forward very slightly on a shallow slope.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:06 PM   #17
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
You have multiple options if for some reason you want to roll backwards on public roads without your reverse lights on in a world where 99% of other drivers do not understand what a manual transmission is or does...
Literally LOL' ed at this, well said.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 07:28 AM   #18
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
The 'hold' feature on BMW manual transmissions to prevent them from rolling back has been around since the E90/E92. That doesn't prevent the car from rolling forward or, after 2 seconds, rolling backward if the brake isn't activated.

That's different from Auto Hold, which prevents BMWs with automatics from rolling forward without the brake pedal depressed.
So manuals doesn’t have Auto Hold like the automatics? I’ve had that feature in a couple automatic Audis and it’s kind of nice.
      10-27-2023, 07:39 AM   #19
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
So manuals doesn’t have Auto Hold like the automatics? I’ve had that feature in a couple automatic Audis and it’s kind of nice.
It's not as necessary. If you're on flat ground, you won't roll anyway. Unlike in an automatic, when you will always roll unless you happen to be on a steep enough upslope to counteract the torque converter.

Appreciate 0