BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-23-2024, 05:56 PM   #67
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalnass View Post
Sorry, I didnt know that was something to be worried about, because we are not professional drivers who’s career depends on lap times
Exactly. You get those nerds occasionally who think they're going to somehow extract those extra 1/10th's of a second on the street? Lmao. These are the same guys who would argue they can totally feel the extra 25hp the LCI is getting...

I have a 6mt tuned to 600whp. Being a puss about warranty on these cars is childish. Life is short, and more importantly, this is a incredibly reliable platform. It's sunny and above 70 90% of the time where I live. I'd go x-drive if I lived in the northeast and had to drive throughout the seasons.

Next car though will be a '25 LCI comp in most likely RWD spec. Manual has been super fun but after 2.5 years, I'm kind of over the work at this point and want to see what the comp can offer. And I will be tuning it.

I have driven my friends comp and the ZF8 is boring. I'll get over it though. Wish they put the DCT from the F8x in it... that would be a hell of a car.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 06:03 PM   #68
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
And this is why the GT3 should have a ZF Automatic and be AWD (correction GT3)
+1. Driving is about the experience.. not comparing your car's Road & Track stat sheet to everyone else's.

Drove my friends 718 GT4 in manual last weekend. It felt crazy slow (relatively) but was singlehandedly the most fun I've had driving a car. That said, I'd spec a 992 GT3 in manual no hesitation. Looking forward to my next G80 in ZF8 though, should make daily-ing a lot comfortable.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      01-23-2024, 06:05 PM   #69
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Well, the beauty of life is that everyone can do what pleases them. What you like is what you like and what I like is what I like, BUT no matter how you slice it, off the line and in any condition AWD wins hands down. So, if you need fast from a dead stop without any drama or throttle modulation or cut power from traction control or max power tune level for your respective gearing and traction limits, then the match of AWD will always win. And you are right, that is the beauty of xdrive on the sense that you can flip a switch and be in RWD if you want, so it really is nice. Another point to remember now is that things are different engineering wise than back in the day, so the advantage of AWD from a dead stop doesn’t always mean the drawbacks during “from a roll” situation anymore. Sure, you are a bit heavier, but components are lighter and a lot of time the RWD sports car doesn’t always win against its own AWD counterpart, even from a roll.

As for your master tech argument… there’s plenty of examples of AWD cars rolling 200k miles without any trans dramas. Keep it serviced just as well as your engine and it won’t let you down. ZF stuff is somewhat stout stuff and dare I say are supposed to be more robust than Audi’s DSGs and if those can turn the miles if taken care of, so should the ZF. Change your fluids at proper intervals and not the BS high ones BMW and other manufactures want you to and with higher quality fluids and they’ll run a long time… even aggressive driven their entire life. At least that’s been my experience.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 06:31 PM   #70
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post
+1. Driving is about the experience.. not comparing your car's Road & Track stat sheet to everyone else's.

Drove my friends 718 GT4 in manual last weekend. It felt crazy slow (relatively) but was singlehandedly the most fun I've had driving a car. That said, I'd spec a 992 GT3 in manual no hesitation. Looking forward to my next G80 in ZF8 though, should make daily-ing a lot comfortable.
+1

Reality is there are no bad choices with a brand new
$87,000+ BMW 6MT M3. ( I like the old screen, I want the new screen, I want LCI, I want leather on the windshield, I want alcantara lining the engine bay, tough decisions 🤦🏾‍♂️.)

It’s about what you want and we can all build the car we want.

I have no real work commute; 4 miles when I decide to go in office. I have an automatic Nissan Altima as a Daily as an option and an R 1250 GS 40th Anniversary. Many years on race bikes and did the track day stuff already and hit some MPH I’ll never see in any M3’s.

My M3 is 100% fun road trip nice weather car. Although i do drive in light snow
DWS 06+

Again; @ $87,000+ no one is making a “sacrifice” you’re buying exactly what you want.
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2024, 06:51 PM   #71
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Well, the beauty of life is that everyone can do what pleases them. What you like is what you like and what I like is what I like, BUT no matter how you slice it, off the line and in any condition AWD wins hands down. So, if you need fast from a dead stop without any drama or throttle modulation or cut power from traction control or max power tune level for your respective gearing and traction limits, then the match of AWD will always win. And you are right, that is the beauty of xdrive on the sense that you can flip a switch and be in RWD if you want, so it really is nice. Another point to remember now is that things are different engineering wise than back in the day, so the advantage of AWD from a dead stop doesn’t always mean the drawbacks during “from a roll” situation anymore. Sure, you are a bit heavier, but components are lighter and a lot of time the RWD sports car doesn’t always win against its own AWD counterpart, even from a roll.

As for your master tech argument… there’s plenty of examples of AWD cars rolling 200k miles without any trans dramas. Keep it serviced just as well as your engine and it won’t let you down. ZF stuff is somewhat stout stuff and dare I say are supposed to be more robust than Audi’s DSGs and if those can turn the miles if taken care of, so should the ZF. Change your fluids at proper intervals and not the BS high ones BMW and other manufactures want you to and with higher quality fluids and they’ll run a long time… even aggressive driven their entire life. At least that’s been my experience.
You are right about one thing hands down you will win but RWD owners don't care as much about winning hands down, we like the RWD experience and still can beat most cars on the road with our current setup. There are alot of M3 Cars at copart now that have thought there car was invincible.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 4
Tobster3630.50
2011ninja3396.00
bri10425937.00
eugenebmw1479.00
      01-24-2024, 12:44 PM   #72
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

I currently own a G80 M3 with a 6MT, have about 21k miles on it, daily drive it, currently have winter wheels on it so I can speed uphill in the northeast snow, have a CAE Racing shifter, Rogue Engineering rear carrier bushing mount, CDV delete, and an upgraded clutch from PTB Racing to withstand the additional torque from a custom tune. I like to think I have the ultimate 6MT setup for feedback/feel with minimal loss to daily driving comfort.

I have driven multiple G80's with the ZF8, one of which had a Spool Performance single turbo with a PTE 6870, and have had a good amount of time behind the wheel of an F90 M5 LCI which is equipped with the ZF8. My anecdotal feelings are based on the aforementioned experience wherein I have 21k miles on my own car and some good time behind the wheel of ZF8 cars, so keep that in mind.

The G8X was clearly built with the ZF8 primarily in mind. The G80 stays in boost between shifts, and gears just disappear because it's so fast coupled with the short gears. The ZF8 holds vast amounts of power before slipping and it almost never skips a beat until you get to 1XXX HP territory. It is superior, objectively, in nearly every single way imaginable from a performance standpoint.. And yet, I'd rather shove my cock in an electrical socket while using a cheese grater to grate both my nipples off, simultaneously, than buy a G80 with the ZF8.

If going really, really fast is your thing and you need it 24/7, then you should get the ZF8/Comp xDrive and never look back. If you've got an injury that makes engaging the clutch a difficult task, then get the ZF8/Comp xDrive. If you can't stand it when that douche next to you at the red light is inching forward, ready to accelerate hard, and you might go slower than him - get the ZF8. It's crazy fast and seamless with the gear shifts, and it makes daily driving a breeze. You could turn your brain off for the most part and go wherever you need to go in the ZF8. There are so many reasons to actually get the ZF8, but there are so many reasons not to as well. There are a plethora of us that don't care about 0-60 times, don't care about being the fastest, and simply want a fun and more engaging drive. Twist it however you want, but pulling paddles/a lever is not even in the same realm in terms of engagement as manually disengaging the clutch and shifting gears, or executing a perfect heel 'n toe/toe 'n toe rev match with the rev match assistance turned off. In my setup, the chassis mounted shifter alongside the quicker biting point of the upgraded clutch and lighter flywheel (revs drop way quicker between shifts) means my experience is never dull when driving my G80. I have Cocomelon/Super Simple Songs playing while I drive my 2 and a half year old around everywhere, and I'm still smiling and enjoying my time because of the 6MT.

I previously had an automatic F30 335i, DCT F80 M3 (FBO on E85), as well as a 991 GT3 equipped with a PDK transmission. Ditching the F30 & F80 was the easiest thing to do as they bored me, and the GT3 was a bit harder to let go for sentimental reasons, but still was let go without much regret. But this G80 M3 with a 6MT? You couldn't pry it off my cold dead hands, it's so much fun and is so capable that I would only replace it with another 6MT G80. I've been hunting for a 6MT 992 GT3 allocation for a while, but after all the mods I've put and my experience on the G80 platform - I'm not really aching for a GT3 anymore and will happily wait until the market slows down a bit to get one.

Lastly - sound. Longer gears of the 6MT means you get to hear the engine actually rev hard for a longer period of time. I recently saved this video that Sumith posted and there isn't a single goddamn ZF8/Comp xDrive car out there that sounds this good. The S58 may not sound so great, but when equipped with the right exhaust and a 6MT - it sounds pretty damned decent. Observe Sumith's run here: he's got a full turbo back exhaust at this point in time (I believe?) and it sounds glorious. Again, there isn't a single ZF8 car that sounds this good and raw going through the gears. I know it's slower, but again.. I don't care.

tl;dr - ZF8 is faster and better performance wise. If your itch for a 3 pedal car is there and isn't being scratched by another 6MT car and the G80 will be the only car in your stable, then get the 6MT version.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 14
Tobster3630.50
Ashwin34125.00
Prossx293.00
John4C864.00
marashka223.00
TopJimmy5460.00
mathys202.50
moonluv8102494.00
      01-24-2024, 12:53 PM   #73
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
And yet, I'd rather shove my cock in an electrical socket while using a cheese grater to grate both my nipples off, simultaneously, than buy a G80 with the ZF8.
I love a manual, but this… 😂😂😂
Appreciate 1
AhsanU3829.50
      01-24-2024, 12:55 PM   #74
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I currently own a G80 M3 with a 6MT, have about 21k miles on it, daily drive it, currently have winter wheels on it so I can speed uphill in the northeast snow, have a CAE Racing shifter, Rogue Engineering rear carrier bushing mount, CDV delete, and an upgraded clutch from PTB Racing to withstand the additional torque from a custom tune. I like to think I have the ultimate 6MT setup for feedback/feel with minimal loss to daily driving comfort.
I have the exact same set up minus the CAE (running the rouge SSK instead). Loving the PTB so far, just got past the break-in period on it finally.

Would you be able to share some pictures of the CAE? Really have been wanting to pull the trigger on that kit... and have been (foolishly?) wondering if it could be modded somehow to reduce the shifter height to a more OEM level.
Appreciate 1
AhsanU3829.50
      01-24-2024, 01:08 PM   #75
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post
I have the exact same set up minus the CAE (running the rouge SSK instead). Loving the PTB so far, just got past the break-in period on it finally.

Would you be able to share some pictures of the CAE? Really have been wanting to pull the trigger on that kit... and have been (foolishly?) wondering if it could be modded somehow to reduce the shifter height to a more OEM level.
I don't have many pics unfortunately But below are two pics.

The CAE Racing shifter probably can't be shortened but when the gates between the gears are as short as they are, you really want a taller lever to leverage more as the force necessary to get into each gate increases. I can't imagine shifting the CAE with a short lever personally.. my throws would be inaccurate for sure. But if taller shifter really isn't something you can live with, then you may want to stick with the RE SSK or maybe try Ron's. Having had the RE SSK, the CAE is in another league in terms of raw feel.

IMG_0854 by Ahsan Uddin, on Flickr

IMG_0869 by Ahsan Uddin, on Flickr
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 02:26 PM   #76
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meechy6ix0 View Post
Don’t laugh at his small enough cock that it can fit in an electrical socket. It’s not nice, leave the guy alone. 😆
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:33 PM   #77
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Its crossed my mind, but I don't necessarily think that even a few days is enough to really know a car. For myself, I peg it at about a year of ownership so that I can drive it through all 4 seasons. Looking back to the misty past of the last half of the 80's until now, that time-frame holds consistent across all the cars I've owned (not counting the junkers that died within a few months of being purchased with my last $400 during high school and college).
Makes sense for a totally new car. But would it still take that long if the car was mostly identical to what you've been driving for ~3 years, just with a different transmission?

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:39 PM   #78
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Don’t laugh at his small enough cock that it can fit in an electrical socket. It’s not nice, leave the guy alone. 😆
Do not mock me and my 2.5 inches of pure fury
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:42 PM   #79
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Makes sense for a totally new car. But would it still take that long if the car was mostly identical to what you've been driving for ~3 years, just with a different transmission?
Good question. Dunno?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:58 PM   #80
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do not mock me and my 2.5 inches of pure fury
It’s OK. I knew you were overcompensating for something when you posted a pic of that fancy shifter. That definitely won’t fit in an electrical socket. 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:00 PM   #81
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
As engaging as the manual is, you will never be able to change gear as quickly as the auto can.
Yep, and I don't care. This is my fun car, and "fun" in my case is engagement and how I feel when I'm driving it. I'm fully aware I bought the slowest possible version of the G8X and I'm ok with that. I gave up more power, XDrive, and a convertible roof--all of which I wanted--to get the one thing that was most important to me.

After 12 years of driving a tuned 335d that I loved everything about except the transmission (there never was an MT available), it felt so right getting back into a 6MT. I'm not street racing anyone, I just want to enjoy the drive.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:39 PM   #82
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't have many pics unfortunately But below are two pics.

The CAE Racing shifter probably can't be shortened but when the gates between the gears are as short as they are, you really want a taller lever to leverage more as the force necessary to get into each gate increases. I can't imagine shifting the CAE with a short lever personally.. my throws would be inaccurate for sure. But if taller shifter really isn't something you can live with, then you may want to stick with the RE SSK or maybe try Ron's. Having had the RE SSK, the CAE is in another league in terms of raw feel.
Still haven’t gotten around to installing this thing smh
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:30 PM   #83
PabstBleuRibbon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
any chance you have a video of that shifter in action?
Appreciate 1
AhsanU3829.50
      01-24-2024, 07:33 PM   #84
deosaa9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to purchase E90 M3 6MT

I was having second thoughts about the MT g80 but this thread has restored my hope. I was thinking I would need to save a bit more to get a 997 GT3 or GT4. Thank you all. +1 for a video!
Appreciate 1
AhsanU3829.50
      01-24-2024, 07:41 PM   #85
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by meechy6ix0 View Post
I thought my feelings were pretty strong, but now feel comparatively ambiguous. I mean, how do you REALLY feel?!!
AhsanU3829.50
      01-24-2024, 10:07 PM   #86
sdengineer
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M3 CX, 25 X5 40i X

Quote:
Originally Posted by deosaa9 View Post
I was having second thoughts about the MT g80 but this thread has restored my hope. I was thinking I would need to save a bit more to get a 997 GT3 or GT4. Thank you all. +1 for a video!
In case you have not, you should definitely test drive a base MT and a comp xDrive. You may have to do that with G82's since there are more on the lots. For me, the extra 100Nm of torque and grip in the turns was also very compelling. Those test-drives will be far more informative than the flood of confirmation bias happening here.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 04:54 PM   #87
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Interesting that most of the people on here advocating manual transmission are from North America, where it is a bit of a novelty.

Is it because of the unusual/ novelty factor?

Having spent my entire life in the UK driving MT BMWs, I have an M4 Comp on order, and MT is not even an option here any more, not that I’d have ordered it anyway, as AT is the way to go for me.

Funny that a country where most cars are AT have a small group advocating MT, and those of us in the UK used to MT are resigned to the fact the Auto is now the future.
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
      01-25-2024, 05:01 PM   #88
Tobster3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
Interesting that most of the people on here advocating manual transmission are from North America, where it is a bit of a novelty.

Is it because of the unusual/ novelty factor? .
Not for me. Originally from Scotland, so grew up driving manuals. My first cars I had, Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI and a number of golf GTIs (oh the days), built my love for the manual.

Having spent the last 10 years in Houston, the Auto cars don’t give me the driving enjoyment that I personally get from a manual, hence the reason I’m going back to one.
Appreciate 1
gohawks23426.00