01-13-2021, 04:56 AM   #177
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
I've read all 9 pages of this discussion and I feel like the simplest way BMW can settle the conversation is to put their money where their mouth is and let people go drive the G8x M3/M4.

If they have truly been iterated and improved the car materially, irrespective of weight, then the reviews and test drivers will say so.

Videos like this are nice technical window dressing but I'd respect Klaus more for coming out and sharing something like "you'll be very happy when you get behind the wheel, we really sweated over this one, long nights, lots of heated arguments - it's really a labour of love".
Agreed and hope we will see more in the coming days/weeks.

He kind of says though that the car is a drivers car in this Q&A
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:58 AM   #178
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
It's akin to a top college recruit showing up for the NFL Combine. If you know your 40 time is going to be a selling point and you're hitting PBs in other key measures for your position, you're going to showcase your gifts to max out your market value.

The Biermann led team knew they had all the numbers in their favor. They couldn't wait to go to market because the E9X got outclassed on all meaningful measurables in the F8X. Stronger. Fitter. Faster.

Hair Plug Flasch ain't stupid. BMW M knows what bird they have in hand with the G gen. They need to play the PR game by selectively doling out technical specs here and there post-snoutgate. Totally predictable behavior for an automotive athlete that's...

Bigger. Fatter. Faster.
I enjoyed that and well said.

Bigger. Fatter. Faster.

Please, until these cars get on the road and gets weighed, this is all speculation and y'all know it.
What we do know 100% is it's going to be heavier (M3/4 CSH = Coupe Sport Heavy), bigger sized, more focus on appearances than substance, and a hell of a lot more beaver.

Even if it weighed 3400lbs, it's still not winning any beauty contests.
Go out of this forum and take a look, you'll see what most people really think about this car.
We do not know 100% that it will be more appearance than substance... Not many has driven the car yet, but Sport Auto said it was substantially better on track than the F82 M4 Comp they drove it back to back with....

Also this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:05 AM   #179
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
It's akin to a top college recruit showing up for the NFL Combine. If you know your 40 time is going to be a selling point and you're hitting PBs in other key measures for your position, you're going to showcase your gifts to max out your market value.

The Biermann led team knew they had all the numbers in their favor. They couldn't wait to go to market because the E9X got outclassed on all meaningful measurables in the F8X. Stronger. Fitter. Faster.

Hair Plug Flasch ain't stupid. BMW M knows what bird they have in hand with the G gen. They need to play the PR game by selectively doling out technical specs here and there post-snoutgate. Totally predictable behavior for an automotive athlete that's...

Bigger. Fatter. Faster.
I enjoyed that and well said.

Bigger. Fatter. Faster.

Please, until these cars get on the road and gets weighed, this is all speculation and y'all know it.
What we do know 100% is it's going to be heavier (M3/4 CSH = Coupe Sport Heavy), bigger sized, more focus on appearances than substance, and a hell of a lot more beaver.

Even if it weighed 3400lbs, it's still not winning any beauty contests.
Go out of this forum and take a look, you'll see what most people really think about this car.
My 16yo daughter (who is not into cars) saw a 4 series on the lot when we were looking at our new M2 CS and her first comment was "that one looks like the slow kid in the family".
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      01-13-2021, 05:40 AM   #180
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Agreed and hope we will see more in the coming days/weeks.

He kind of says though that the car is a drivers car in this Q&A
Does anyone expect him to say something negative about the G8X?
      01-13-2021, 05:43 AM   #181
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
We do not know 100% that it will be more appearance than substance... Not many has driven the car yet, but Sport Auto said it was substantially better on track than the F82 M4 Comp they drove it back to back with....
Yes, many are waiting for reviewers' detailed reports after driving the production G8X at length in their home countries.
      01-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #182
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
BMW seems to be posting a full Q+A on Instagram, some screenshots:

They are definitely teasing a whole series of technical videos/detail as well

Maybe the mods or a forum member has access to a full release or high res versions of the entire thing?
He mentions emission standards... That's a hard sell for me, the S58 is emitting so much more CO2 vs S55 that it makes this car falls into V8 brackets of emission and import taxes

Wanna see where this would be now, pretty sure the C02 hasn't improved :

Noticed in their weight video, a full tank doesn't even cover 400 km range ... that's not much ... maybe the onboard computer is calculating this because the previous usage was heavy and consumption was especially high but for a car that is not even break in it's weird...

Last edited by thaalrasha; 01-13-2021 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      01-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #183
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaalrasha View Post
He mentions emission standards... That's a hard sell for me, the S58 is emitting so much more CO2 vs S55 that it makes this car falls into V8 brackets of emission and import taxes

Noticed in their weight video, a full tank doesn't even cover 400 km range ... that's not much ... maybe the onboard computer is calculating this because the previous usage was heavy and consumption was especially high but for a car that is not even break in it's weird...
As has the driving (test) cycle emissions is measured by...

F8x was tested according to the NEDC (New European Drive Cycle) test cycle that wasn't very hard. The G8x is tested according to the WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure) which is more real world relevant and also closer to the US (EPA) test cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldw...Test_Procedure

NEDC vs WLTP explained:
https://www.daimler.com/sustainabili...tp-part-2.html

Here an industry average of 22% increase in CO2 is expected when testing NEDC cars under the WLTP test cycles. But individual differences have ranged from far lower values to much higher values than that.

199g/km x 1,22 = 242g/km (but in reality this figure could be much higher than 242g/km, or indeed lower. But as the claim CO2 has been reduced it isn't lower than the G8x WLTP numbers).

The G8x Comp has a WLTP CO2 of 230-234g/km while the base (MT) has 235-240g/km.

-
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #184
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Does anyone seriously planning to buy a car on the same year it launches?

I always buy the last year of the model.
Feels a lot safer and all the kinks are out.

This might be extreme, but first year is extreme as well. Me think.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #185
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
You are speculating on the weight as you do not know for a fact the actual specs of the G82 and F82 in the OP's video.

I mentioned before, BMWblog reported that the AWD G8X will be about 4000 lbs. We including you will have to wait before the actual weight is known.

"Though, they won’t be light. As BMW has already shown, even the lightest possible G82 BMW M4 is heavier than the heaviest possible F82 BMW M4. So when equipped with an automatic and all-wheel drive, the new BMW M3 and M4 tip the scales dangerously close to 1,800 kg (4,000-ish lbs)."

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/12/u...ing-bmw-m3-m4/

and read here https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/11/g82-bmw-m4-heavier/
Quote:
Your figures make the assumption that the F82 and G82 are of the same specs (other than what you have specified as different).
Obviously my figures include assumptions, but they make sense, at least to me. Please let me know where you think I'm wrong:

1) I know what my F80 CS weighs and the equipment it has, basically nothing. No CCB, no comfort access, no center console, nav, heads up display
2) DIN weights comparing the G8X and all its variants have been available for some time. So we don't need to speculate about the G82 to G80 delta, the 6MT to 8AT delta, the weight of the CF seats, etc
3) The G82 in the video is said to have 'minimal options', but still has nav as that cannot be removed just like the F8X generation.
What options could the G82 not have that my F80 CS has? HUD? Do you think that's a significant source of weight? For sure it has a center console which must weigh something and my F80 CS does not have.

The only WAG I see is your statement that 'the heaviest F82 is lighter than the lightest G82'. We don't know that at all. The F82 they use in the video is lighter than my F80CS so I don't think it's 'the heaviest F82'.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #186
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
As has the driving (test) cycle emissions is measured by...

F8x was tested according to the NEDC (New European Drive Cycle) test cycle that wasn't very hard. The G8x is tested according to the WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure) which is more real world relevant and also closer to the US (EPA) test cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldw...Test_Procedure

NEDC vs WLTP explained:
https://www.daimler.com/sustainabili...tp-part-2.html

Here an industry average of 22% increase in CO2 is expected when testing NEDC cars under the WLTP test cycles. But individual differences have ranged from far lower values to much higher values than that.

199g/km x 1,22 = 242g/km (but in reality this figure could be much higher than 242g/km, or indeed lower. But as the claim CO2 has been reduced it isn't lower than the G8x WLTP numbers).

The G8x Comp has a WLTP CO2 of 230-234g/km while the base (MT) has 235-240g/km.

-
Ha thanks for pointing that out, i completely missed that, now everything makes more sense to me now... However the country i'm in don't give a shit and tax increase will be on the bigger number regardless of the standard they used for rating them in the first place ... Which is partially why i had to cancel my G80 order ... i mean 23% "import" (registration they say) taxes (add VAT on top of this) and 2400 € per year just for the Co2 taxes... car is around 140k€ not even fully equipped here.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #187
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Obviously my figures include assumptions, but they make sense, at least to me. Please let me know where you think I'm wrong:

1) I know what my F80 CS weighs and the equipment it has, basically nothing. No CCB, no comfort access, no center console, nav, heads up display
2) DIN weights comparing the G8X and all its variants have been available for some time. So we don't need to speculate about the G82 to G80 delta, the 6MT to 8AT delta, the weight of the CF seats, etc
3) The G82 in the video is said to have 'minimal options', but still has nav as that cannot be removed just like the F8X generation.
What options could the G82 not have that my F80 CS has? HUD? Do you think that's a significant source of weight? For sure it has a center console which must weigh something and my F80 CS does not have.

The only WAG I see is your statement that 'the heaviest F82 is lighter than the lightest G82'. We don't know that at all. The F82 they use in the video is lighter than my F80CS so I don't think it's 'the heaviest F82'.
Some ideas: does your CS have the executive package? If so, the rear sunshades are not lightweight items. Also, the M3cs comes standard with the 16 speaker HK sound system. And dont forget the F80 chassis is 20kg heavier than the F82.

My M4cs came in at ~3,550lb with a full tank (95%+), MPE, iron brakes, PSC2 tires (they are heavier than the PSS) and M-mobility kit removed. Your M3cs weighs in the high end of what I estimated here, so I assume it is pretty loaded.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-13-2021 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #188
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaalrasha View Post

I think it more a question of particulate emissions than CO2 emissions. The newly mandated GPF in the EU do add weight.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #189
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Updated episode

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
yousefnjr6112.00
      01-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #190
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Does anyone expect him to say something negative about the G8X?
This is basically the world we live in these days. If they don’t say anything - “what are they hiding?!” If they do say something - “well, he’s biased!”

Can’t wait until we can all go outside again
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1510.00
solstice5456.50
      01-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #191
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Some ideas: does your CS have the executive package? If so, the rear sunshades are not lightweight items. Also, the M3cs comes standard with the 16 speaker HK sound system. And dont forget the F80 chassis is 20kg heavier than the F82.

My M4cs came in at ~3,550lb with a full tank (95%+), MPE, iron brakes, PSC2 tires (they are heavier than the PSS) and M-mobility kit removed. Your M3cs weighs in the high end of what I estimated here, so I assume it is pretty loaded.
I do have the exec package.
The rear sunshade is likely adding weight, but not much, it is incredibly flimsy. And yes I have HK, but so does the G8X so there's little to no weight delta there.
HUD is something the G8X doesn't have stock, so that is adding weight.

When I weighed the CS it was with a completely full tank and completely stock otherwise, so PSS tires and whatever mobility/safety stuff the car comes with.
Exactly the same way I weighed my E92 and E46 back in the day. And exactly the same as I'll weigh a G8X if I get one.

When looking at DIN weights for the F80CS and F82 CS, I see:
F80CS: 3659
My F80CS: 3657. So I'm within 2lb of the homologated weight.

F82 CS: 3648
Your F82CS: ~3550. You are ~100lb lighter than the homologated weight from BMW.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      01-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #192
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do have the exec package.
The rear sunshade is likely adding weight, but not much, it is incredibly flimsy. And yes I have HK, but so does the G8X so there's little to no weight delta there.
HUD is something the G8X doesn't have stock, so that is adding weight.

When I weighed the CS it was with a completely full tank and completely stock otherwise, so PSS tires and whatever mobility/safety stuff the car comes with.
Exactly the same way I weighed my E92 and E46 back in the day. And exactly the same as I'll weigh a G8X if I get one.

When looking at DIN weights for the F80CS and F82 CS, I see:
F80CS: 3659
My F80CS: 3657. So I'm within 2lb of the homologated weight.

F82 CS: 3648
Your F82CS: ~3550. You are ~100lb lighter than the homologated weight from BMW.
A few data points to ponder:

According to the M4cs press release (see attached), the EU weight without driver is 1,580kg. Auto Motor & Sport, Autobild and SportAuto weighed their test M4cs at 1,600kg, 1,602kg and 1,609kg respectively. All below but close to my own M4cs (mine does not have CCB).

Interestingly, AM&S show the DIN weight at 1,655kg, but their test car weighed 55kg less at 1,600kg (see screenshot below). It seems like the revised DIN regulation now has vehicles homologated quite heavier than they are on the street.

As a tidbit, you'd be surprised, the weight of those 5 sunblinds add up to over 5kg, I was surprised myself when I looked it up in ETK. That being said, it is not only the sunblinds that make the difference, but a few kg here and there do eventually add up.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf The_new_BMW_M4_CS_Specifications (1).pdf (162.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-13-2021 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #193
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
A few data points to ponder:

According to the M4cs press release (see attached), the EU weight without driver is 1,580kg. Auto Motor & Sport, Autobild and SportAuto weighed their test M4cs at 1,600kg, 1,602kg and 1,609kg respectively. All below but close to my own M4cs (mine does not have CCB).

Interestingly, AM&S show the DIN weight at 1,655kg, but their test car weighed 55kg less at 1,600kg (see screenshot below). It seems like the revised DIN regulation now has vehicles homologated quite heavier than they are on the street.

As a tidbit, you'd be surprised, the weight of those 5 sunblinds add up to over 5kg, I was surprised myself when I looked it up in ETK. That being said, it is not only the sunblinds that make the difference, but a few kg here and there do eventually add up.
5kg here and there will struggle to show a noticeable delta vs the standard weights.

I have seen a lot of weights throughout the years of people's cars with aftermarket wheels, or without pieces of standard equipment, or without a completely full tank that are radically different than what I get in a similar car.

To this day people tell me it's impossible my E46 M3 weighed 3500lb, or that my E92 M3 weighs 3600lb. Maybe it's impossible or maybe I weigh my cars with zero modifications.

For euro weights I use a euro datasheet, like this:
https://www.km77.com/coches/bmw/seri...m3/m3-cs/datos
https://www.km77.com/coches/bmw/seri...cs/m4-cs/datos
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #194
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Cooling System. M3 and M4 - explained, Episode 02. .. is this the "why the grill is so big" episode?

01-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #195
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:

Also this:
So they did, physics of a car’s driving dynamics is not limited to weight in a vacuum. I’m sure there will be some complaining about the size and/or weight as there always is since M cars aren’t small feather weights. But I do suspect the vast majority will call it a significant overall upgrade.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
Boss3301711.50
      01-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #196
apirumann
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 99 E46 323i

And no mention of the glorious weight distribution figures (53/47) that BMW has boasted and been appraised for, while comparing the weight of an apple to that of a pear... Looks aside, bad weight distribution on a big boat... We do not have to agree but favoritism must have boundaries as all things do
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #197
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
Cooling System. M3 and M4 - explained, Episode 02. .. is this the "why the grill is so big" episode?

Cool

Better take care and not run up a curb or over substantial debris. A lot of cooling units located low in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #198
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
5kg here and there will struggle to show a noticeable delta vs the standard weights.
Like I said, one 5kg cannot account for the full difference, but multiple 5kg items easily can. The different F82 M4 test vehicles that AM&S/SA weighed varied between 1,592kg for a stripper CCB/6MT to 1,649kg for a loaded DCT competition. That's 57kg in options...

Quote:
I have seen a lot of weights throughout the years of people's cars with aftermarket wheels, or without pieces of standard equipment, or without a completely full tank that are radically different than what I get in a similar car.
I am not sure what you are insinuating here, but I was specific on how my car was weighed: stock with full fuel, save for MPE and Mobility kit.

But I agree, just fuel can make a ~45kg difference

Quote:
Which jives with the AM&S number I posted. Yet, their test car came 55kg below that. The M2cs is in a similar situation, where AM&S weighed their test car 37kg below DIN weight (see below). DIN weight is a good reference point, but it is far from an absolute.

...and vollgetankt means fully fuelled
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-13-2021 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00