BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #67
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurns View Post
I have never owned an AWD vehicle so I am not qualified at all to present any opinions for or against. However, I have heard many favorable opinions about it. Coincidently, just the other day I took my girlfriends car to the garage for tire rotation and balance. Another customer, who drove an AWD car, had a flat tire due to road debris. The tech told her that since the vehicle was AWD the 3 remaining tires needed to be replaced. The tread life on the other tires were above the min’s ( estimated 5 to 7/32’s). I asked the tech why the replacement requirement. He stated that given the tread difference between the old tires and new one the AWD system would not perform correctly and over time would adversely affect the functioning of the system which will also lead to very costly repairs. Again, not knowing much about the AWD system I found this info very interesting. Is this true or false? I do recognize if this situation existed on a RWD car there will be some handling differences but it would not necessarily adversely affect the [long term] driveability of the car (non-track situations).
Yes, this is true. Not sure of the exact diff before you would have issues, but they need to be the same!!!!
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      01-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #68
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #69
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I"m having this debate along with the manual vs. auto, which I guess goes hand in hand since there is no AWD manual.

For me:

Pros of manual & RWD:
- More driver engagement
- More opportunity to kick the back out
- Cheaper

Cons of manual & RWD:
- My wife won't be able to drive it (although this could be a pro.........)
- Harder to put the power on the ground
- Unpredictability of Chicago winters means I could be caught with my pants down on a random April snowstorm after a stretch of 50 degree days where I decided to put summer tires back on. AWD would help mitigate some of that.
I understand where you're coming from regarding the manual and the spouse not being able to drive it. I think about this often, on one hand it can be a good thing since these days few can drive a manual. However, God forbid you're in an emergency situation and someone else needs to take over driving duties lol.

Me being in South Florida, there really is no need for AWD and I have no experience with them. The bit about having to change all tires depending on thread depth if one has a damage is concerning. Although, to help mitigate those costs one could just buy the BMW Wheel & Tire add-on.
      01-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #70
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I understand where you're coming from regarding the manual and the spouse not being able to drive it. I think about this often, on one hand it can be a good thing since these days few can drive a manual. However, God forbid you're in an emergency situation and someone else needs to take over driving duties lol.

Me being in South Florida, there really is no need for AWD and I have no experience with them. The bit about having to change all tires depending on thread depth if one has a damage is concerning. Although, to help mitigate those costs one could just buy the BMW Wheel & Tire add-on.
Yup that's exactly it. There are times where I need to take the SUV out, leaving my wife at home with the 3 series. And if there's any sort of emergency (i.e. take our crazy daughter to urgent care cause she decided to jump head first into a corner), she wouldn't be able to take a manual car out.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      01-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #71
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I don't understand the living in Florida comment to needing AWD? The car will have horrible traction just like all the F series do now. My car is full bolt and and traction is ass. Again, everyone will get what best suits them. If you are wanting a super fun street car, where you can floor it from a traffic light or a second gear roll race, then AWD is for you my man. If you ever plan to mod it or tune it in the future, that would also be something to think about. I have a biased opinion anymore. Going forward, I want AWD for all my vehicles. Unless the new Corvette Z06 or Zr1 blows my mind.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      01-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #72
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
I don't understand the living in Florida comment to needing AWD? The car will have horrible traction just like all the F series do now. My car is full bolt and and traction is ass. Again, everyone will get what best suits them. If you are wanting a super fun street car, where you can floor it from a traffic light or a second gear roll race, then AWD is for you my man. If you ever plan to mod it or tune it in the future, that would also be something to think about. I have a biased opinion anymore. Going forward, I want AWD for all my vehicles. Unless the new Corvette Z06 or Zr1 blows my mind.
I think it depends on what you consider "fun". If traction off the line and putting the power down to get from one traffic light to the next is "fun", then you have a point.

But there's other things which I think RWD does better than AWD. Admittedly, I haven't driven the RWD M340i so I'm mostly talking of my experience with other RWD cars. But from my understanding RWD allows you to be a little more playful, kick the back out in corners, turn-in is a little sharper, etc. To me that's a bit more fun. My reason for going AWD is because of the added security it offers in the winters here. If I was in a warmer climate I'd probably find myself going with RWD as well.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      01-24-2021, 06:12 PM   #73
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:

I hear you but like I said before I have never experienced AWD perhaps that's the issue. I need to experience it lol. My RWD M340i does lose traction depending on how hard I take off but that's part of the fun lol. I enjoy hanging the tail out sometimes.

PS. No power mods for me, I'm fine with stock.
      01-24-2021, 07:32 PM   #74
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I hear you but like I said before I have never experienced AWD perhaps that's the issue. I need to experience it lol. My RWD M340i does lose traction depending on how hard I take off but that's part of the fun lol. I enjoy hanging the tail out sometimes.

PS. No power mods for me, I'm fine with stock.
Def drive one or something AWD. Wish I could take you out in my GTR. May change your mind. It's frustrating to me when the car has no traction! It's fun at times but for me I want that power to the ground. Down the road maybe there will be boost by gear which will help the RWD peeps. Not sure when though
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      02-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #75
Baylorguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On Order: 2022 X3M, ZCP, Exec

I think there are different options because BMW recognizes people have different needs. I can see how if someone wanted to have the most tossable version, and did track days, RWD would likely be the best best. I gave the F80 a go and even in central Texas (it doesn't get THAT cold here... except for last week) I fought for traction at every light giving it partial throttle. To me, that was really annoying, because I want to maximize straight line speed and putting the power to the ground efficiently is critical. It is one of the main reasons I traded my F80 for an RS3. The AWD and tunability of the RS3 was worlds better for my needs, and yes, I fully know that the RS3 would get embarrassed on a circuit course. But it works well for me when I go to the quarter mile track.

I plan on either an X97 or G80... and in either case, it will 100% be all wheel drive. With the trajectory of how BMW has gotten torque hungry and the crazy power the engines produce now, I need AWD to have those awesome quick low speed pulls.
      02-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #76
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I think BMW was smart to offer the manual. They are likely watching the success of Porsche with the GT3, 911R, etc. Their top performance line offered in a manual to appeal to enthusiasts and keep the buzz alive. While you lose performance you gain in involvement.

I have had 2 R8's. 1 AWD and 1 RWD.

While the RWD is more fun and involving, I will never push it to 100% for fear the rear will break loose. With the security of AWD I would push a little harder.

So that's what you lose... a little more security and performance with AWD. Depends on what is more important to you.

I will choose RWD 100% of the time for a sports car. In a family car or casual DD I'll take AWD.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 02-19-2021 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2021, 12:20 AM   #77
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

RWD.

I have no need for AWD so the added complexity, less feel, extra weight mean I only really have downsides with it.

The characteristics of RWD are fun for me. I like a car that is able to kick out the back end and don't need the ego boost of beating people at stoplight races.

Plus there's that issue with tyres on AWD cars where you need to have matching tread on all 4 wheels so you need to replace all 4 tyres together. I'm not sure if the M X drive cars have this issue - I would hope not because what if you put them in RWD made to do some drifting and wear down the rears?

If I dealt with a lot of off-road and snow driving then I'd probably go for an AWD car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #78
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

While I understand the AWD traction at the light on the start, the tire issue is the deal killer for me. In my F80, the back would slip at the light all the time if I got too aggressive (which for me is a good reminder to behave). But at nearly $400 a tire, in a care that eats tires like nobody's business, having to replace 4 when 1 is flat is a lot to drop on a flat. I always get the tire insurance since I probably average 4 nails over a 3 year period so it more than covers the cost. But it would only cover the cost of 1 tire so that would still mean a big spend. Given that in 3 years with no flats you will have to replace the set at least once if you every day drive (and drive even slightly aggressively), the added issue of doing it more than once just adds to the operation cost of the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #79
itsTwigs
Vroomthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3/21 Toyota Tacoma OR

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
Waiting for AWD so I can daily it no matter where I get sent (military). Will be like a nicer cheaper GTR
      02-24-2021, 06:48 AM   #80
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Enthusiast View Post
Hi all,

I have recently ordered my first M4 a M4C RWD for expected March delivery. Very excited about that...!!

Still I am wondering about your preferences regarding RWD vs AWD? My head is still thinking should I have waited for the AWD?

1) Are the expected differences RWD vs AWD that much in daily driving in warm weather or what is your experience with the previous F82 RWD?

2) Is the added traction and expected better performance more in the 0-100km/h area or also in the 80-120km/h, 100-200km/h area, which I would think is the more frequent use case in daily driving?

3) I know we have no real performance data as of today but whats your estimation comparing the two drivetrains and how do previous F82 drivers look at the drivetrain question?

I will do a short term lease so the choice of RWD/AWD is not that important to maybe buying the car. Still wanted to know what your drivetrain choice looks like with the facts we currently have...

Thanks for your feedback & happy holidays...!!
Involvement plus Car and Driver asked me to ‘save the manuals’.

M3 6MT on order (in production) currently. Can’t wait!
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #81
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
IMO, I would prefer AWD over RWD. AWD provides loads more traction which gives me more confidence to drive more aggressively on the track.

I wish my F82 came in AWD because there's so much torque and wheel spin I worry I'll get pulled over for chirping tires or excessive acceleration or some frivolous law.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #82
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Yup that's exactly it. There are times where I need to take the SUV out, leaving my wife at home with the 3 series. And if there's any sort of emergency (i.e. take our crazy daughter to urgent care cause she decided to jump head first into a corner), she wouldn't be able to take a manual car out.
I’ve never understood the desire for a manual unless it’s going to be a Sunday driver/track car exclusively. The clutch on a manual is considered a wear and tear item and is one more thing that could go wrong without the benefit of warranty. But here’s an idea ... she could always learn.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #83
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
But here’s an idea ... she could always learn.
Wow wish I had thought of that idea

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 02:49 AM   #84
OneCleanBMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

RWD, without a doubt. I live in a place that has one of the worst winters, every year. I wouldn't go back to AWD/4WD - except where I don't have a choice (Lamborghini, Porsche etc), and when I have kids.

I bought an X5M last year and got rid of it after 3 months because I realized I don't need AWD after 10 years of living here and having no issues with RWD the whole time. You'd be surprised what I've put my past M cars through. They shone 100-fold over their lower tier Xi counterparts.

Also, anybody who's concerned about wheel spinning in 3rd/4th gear... it's 500hp and you're 99.9% driving it traffic light to traffic light + highway. Get a grip. ;-)

FWIW, you probably don't want to listen to me because I also daily drive a 700+hp RWD supercar in -40F.

Congrats to everyone getting the model that works best for them!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #85
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

RWD for me. Weather in California is mild and it never snows. I also don't care about straight line acceleration advantages.

But now you guys have me worried about tire grip and ending up in a ditch with RWD and all this power.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #86
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

One thing about the AWD system on this car is that you can have the best of both worlds as you can always disconnect the front wheels if you want to hoon around. If I lived in a hot climate I would stick with RWD only but in Canada even when it's not snowing some of the low morning/evening temps make it really difficult to put power down to the rear wheels on cold pavement. I've driven Mustangs, MR2 Turbo, M2's, etc year round but there are winter days you have to leave the car in the garage because even with winter tires you are going to have issues in heavy snow accumulation and there are always going to be those winter storms where it's white knuckle driving to and from work in a high powered RWD car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #87
_E90S65_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Coming from E90 / F80 platforms, if I go the G80 route, I'm leaning towards RWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #88
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
One thing about the AWD system on this car is that you can have the best of both worlds as you can always disconnect the front wheels if you want to hoon around. If I lived in a hot climate I would stick with RWD only but in Canada even when it's not snowing some of the low morning/evening temps make it really difficult to put power down to the rear wheels on cold pavement. I've driven Mustangs, MR2 Turbo, M2's, etc year round but there are winter days you have to leave the car in the garage because even with winter tires you are going to have issues in heavy snow accumulation and there are always going to be those winter storms where it's white knuckle driving to and from work in a high powered RWD car.
You're right but here's my issues

1) you can't drive it in RWD mode with MDM or TC on. If you want a true rwd experience without tc fully off you can't have that. Rwd still has a certain feel to it in MDM that AWD doesn't have. I like minor wheel chirp and slippage that doesn't turn into massive slides

2) the more important reason - weight. I'm really curious whether the rwd or awd M3/M4 will be better around a track. Awd makes cars slightly more nose heavy
Appreciate 0