BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: If you have the wireless charging option, do you:
Use it on a regular basis and find it helpful 77 41.40%
Use it rarely or never and think it's the worst 109 58.60%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

03-09-2022, 03:11 PM   #23
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I've seen plenty of comments that have trashed the wireless charger (slow to charge, overheat, etc.), but recently have come across a couple that were more complimentary. So, I figured I'd conduct a highly-accurate, large-sample, peer reviewed poll here and find out whether people like it or not.

I'm wondering if perhaps it works better with certain phone models? (I've got a Galaxy S21, FWIW.)

Thanks!
i don't think "it's the worst," just don't use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 03:27 PM   #24
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Any chance the wireless charging now available is from a different vendor or a different design and works better?

Anyone take delivery once this feature came back?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #25
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Any chance the wireless charging now available is from a different vendor or a different design and works better?

Yeah, the results -- although conclusive enough for anyone on the fence -- suggest that some fraction of chargers do work well enough. Whether that's because of a recent switch to a different supplier, or a redesign, or perhaps different suppliers all along, will probably be hard to tease out.
      03-09-2022, 03:38 PM   #26
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, the results -- although conclusive enough for anyone on the fence -- suggest that some fraction of chargers do work well enough. Whether that's because of a recent switch to a different supplier, or a redesign, or perhaps different suppliers all along, will probably be hard to tease out.
I'd love to know. Primarily because I want to know if it's worth me buying the (hopefully new and improved) charger to my car. I use the digital key 100% of the time. I don't want wireless charging if my phone will overheat, but if it works well, it would be a nice addition.

Time might shine some light on this. If most people are happy with it going forward, it suggests a design change.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2022, 06:10 PM   #27
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I'd love to know. Primarily because I want to know if it's worth me buying the (hopefully new and improved) charger to my car. I use the digital key 100% of the time. I don't want wireless charging if my phone will overheat, but if it works well, it would be a nice addition.

Time might shine some light on this. If most people are happy with it going forward, it suggests a design change.
It never worked properly in my M8, and even if it were available when I ordered my M4, I would not have ordered it. It also may not be available right now, I didn’t see it on my most recent visit to BMWUSA.com.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:38 PM   #28
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
It never worked properly in my M8, and even if it were available when I ordered my M4, I would not have ordered it. It also may not be available right now, I didn’t see it on my most recent visit to BMWUSA.com.
CA said it's available on his end.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 06:12 AM   #29
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I don't understand why some of you guys are so obsess with wireless changing which BMW (and Apple) caps its capacity at only 750 mA (think an iPhone 4 small brick charging speed), when the vehicle already has a standard USB-C power outlet that pumps out fast-charging juice at more than four times that rate (3,000 mA)

Ignore the wireless charging option and just get yourself a USB-C cable and just plug it in, then gauge the difference in charging speed.. You'll thank me later…

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 09:15 AM   #30
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I don't understand why some of you guys are so obsess with wireless changing which BMW (and Apple) caps its capacity at only 750 mA (think an iPhone 4 small brick charging speed), when the vehicle already has a standard USB-C power outlet that pumps out fast-charging juice at more than four times that rate (3,000 mA)
Yep, I know that USB charging is faster. Wireless is simply more convenient and neater; I have a wireless charger next to my bed, since when I'm tired it's easier to just drop it on that little platform then to find the USB cable that always drops to the floor and plugging it in. And whether it takes 4 hours to charge wirelessly or an hour with a cable, I don't care since I'm asleep.

In a car, I agree that faster charging is generally more important, but neat cable management becomes more of a challenge and I don't want to stick a magnet brace in front of one of the HVAC vents.
      03-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #31
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, I know that USB charging is faster. Wireless is simply more convenient and neater; I have a wireless charger next to my bed, since when I'm tired it's easier to just drop it on that little platform then to find the USB cable that always drops to the floor and plugging it in. And whether it takes 4 hours to charge wirelessly or an hour with a cable, I don't care since I'm asleep.

In a car, I agree that faster charging is generally more important, but neat cable management becomes more of a challenge and I don't want to stick a magnet brace in front of one of the HVAC vents.
I totally get that, I think wireless charging is a pretty cool and convenient tech also but when I'm on the go and I can possibly charge half my phone's battery capacity in 30 mins with the USB-C outlet, I'm willing to forgo the convenience for efficiency.

Just saying, losing wireless charging is not the end of the world to me personally and BMW was very generous for including a fast-charging 3A USB-C outlet. I was expecting them to cheap out and stick to the standard USB-A (1.5A) port for one more model generation, so may as well take advantage of the perk since it's already there, IMHO.

Also, Apple phones "thermal throttle," where when it gets to too hot, the charging speed slows down with wireless charging to protect the electronics. Such is not the case with a wired connection.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2022, 09:34 PM   #32
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:

Ignore the wireless charging option and just get yourself a USB-C cable and just plug it in, then gauge the difference in charging speed.. You'll thank me later…

Having left a car that needed my phone plugging in via usb each time i got into the car its pleasing that the G80 has wireless Android auto, its obv so much more convenient and as a plus has wireless charging too, its just pretty poor, which on such a great car is a let down. Admittedly ive no need for it as 99% of journeys my phone always has enough charge

Not needing a cable is a big benefit, less fuss but useful that charging via usb still exists.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:35 AM   #33
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystone View Post
Quote:

Having left a car that needed my phone plugging in via usb each time i got into the car its pleasing that the G80 has wireless Android auto, its obv so much more convenient and as a plus has wireless charging too, its just pretty poor, which on such a great car is a let down. Admittedly ive no need for it as 99% of journeys my phone always has enough charge

Not needing a cable is a big benefit, less fuss but useful that charging via usb still exists.
To each is own and but to utilize the inductive charging pad over the wired USB-C connection is counterproductive to the task at hand. So I treat it like a novelty; something to show off to friends or neighbors or something..

Wireless charging is inefficient by its very nature. Air doesn't conduct electricity anywhere near as well as a wire does. A lot of the energy of the charging pad doesn't translate out to usable power and it's expressed as excessive heat, which just forces the phone's software to throttle the charging speed, in an attempt to avoid prematurely wearing out the battery's shelf-life.

The ease and convenience of wireless charging is not loss on me but knowing what I know, I could never bring myself to actually using it over a wired, high-speed charging outlet that's already provided. That's like have a Ferrari in the garage but taking the Nissan out instead - so to speak.. However, I'm not judging anyone that chooses too, just sharing my point of view on the subject.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 05:49 AM   #34
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To each is own and but to utilize the inductive charging pad over the wired USB-C connection is counterproductive to the task at hand. So I treat it like a novelty; something to show off to friends or neighbors or something..

Wireless charging is inefficient by its very nature. Air doesn't conduct electricity anywhere near as well as a wire does. A lot of the energy of the charging pad doesn't translate out to usable power and it's expressed as excessive heat, which just forces the phone's software to throttle the charging speed, in an attempt to avoid prematurely wearing out the battery's shelf-life.

The ease and convenience of wireless charging is not loss on me but knowing what I know, I could never bring myself to actually using it over a wired, high-speed charging outlet that's already provided. That's like have a Ferrari in the garage but taking the Nissan out instead - so to speak.. However, I'm not judging anyone that chooses too, just sharing my point of view on the subject.
Another benefit to a wired connection is higher quality music streaming. Always worth the wired connection imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 06:23 AM   #35
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:

There are "super-fast" wireless chargers in existence which work exceptionally well. They don't warm up the phone and they charge very quickly.

I don't think wireless charging in and of itself is the issue. The issue is the specific wireless pads BMW used are wildly inconsistent in quality. I don't know much about iPhones, but for my Samsung I have a few superfast wireless chargers at home and they've been excellent.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:17 AM   #36
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:

There are "super-fast" wireless chargers in existence which work exceptionally well. They don't warm up the phone and they charge very quickly.

I don't think wireless charging in and of itself is the issue. The issue is the specific wireless pads BMW used are wildly inconsistent in quality. I don't know much about iPhones, but for my Samsung I have a few superfast wireless chargers at home and they've been excellent.
Both Samsung and Apple maxes out their wireless charging input at 7.5W, which is not much, unless you're using their proprietary wireless charging technology, which then bumps it up to 15W max. So even if BMW was to offer a pad with more juice, the phones won't be able to accept it anyways. It is what it is..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:25 AM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywaddyF56 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Another benefit to a wired connection is higher quality music streaming. Always worth the wired connection imo.
Yea a wired connection, as inconvenient as it is allows for the least lossless transfer but streaming audio over WiFi nowadays, like with CarPlay, is almost indistinguishable for a direct connection. It's dealer's choice but either way is fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #38
M52M3
Omega One
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Comp XDrive

I think the wireless charger would be a very good option.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 12:32 PM   #39
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M52M3 View Post
It would if it worked.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #40
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M52M3 View Post
Have it in the Z4 & it does not work for what I want it for. Keep the phone powered on longer rides. Did not order it in the M4C.

Running things like WAZE & music cause the phones to overheat & shut down in the tray. Using a wire they work fine.

Open threads on this also in the Z4 forum

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 10:37 PM   #41
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Does every G80 base M3 have wireless charging in the armrest? Including the 2023 with iDrive 8?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 06:43 AM   #42
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Does every G80 base M3 have wireless charging in the armrest? Including the 2023 with iDrive 8?
No, it became a stand-alone option at some point during the parts-shortage fun. Its very likely that there are plenty of G8x's out there without it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 06:46 AM   #43
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
No, it became a stand-alone option at some point during the parts-shortage fun. Its very likely that there are plenty of G8x's out there without it.
Sorry, I was thinking those that have it, has it always been located in the armrest container for 2021+ manual cars. I only want to option it in my build if it’s where the cup holders are.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 07:34 AM   #44
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Not that this has anything to do with the poll, but... The wireless charger in my Outback gets my iPhone quite warm to getting kinda hot but not as much as the M4 and *might* charge the phone slightly faster...maybe. The wireless charger in the Solterra makes my iPhone warm and does charge the phone, still not fast but better than the others.

It must have to do with the design of the Qi charger and BMW's will bake your phone.

Last edited by edofloat; 02-05-2023 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0