10-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #177
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
The M8 front end is waaaaay better than M4 front end (even if the new grills make the old ones dated in my opinion).
The point is that this kind of custom modification are not worthy of a car like this, it's not an old Civic c'mon.
People like the car, but don’t like the front, a reputable company came up with a potential fix that many like, what is the problem?
Appreciate 2
low1352213.00
      10-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #178
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
The M8 front end is waaaaay better than M4 front end (even if the new grills make the old ones dated in my opinion).
The point is that this kind of custom modification are not worthy of a car like this, it's not an old Civic c'mon.
People like the car, but don't like the front, a reputable company came up with a potential fix that many like, what is the problem?
I don't think people like the car. It's not just the grill. It's a land yacht. Heavy, AWD, ZF8 mess
Appreciate 1
six75LT916.50
      10-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #179
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
EDIT
And why the hell would anyone in his right mind buy a 100k car he doesn't like? Did the doctor order it?
People buy MUCH more expensive cars and modify them. There's very few things I buy and don't change to meet my liking.

Did you buy a house and leave it exactly as is?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #180
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
Is anyone else as curious as I as to how the aftermarket can fix the issues? It seems impossible to do because in order to get the usual grill look we have all grown to love there needs to be some sort of body panel underneath the grills. Which is simply not there to begin with because of how the grills are built into the car. Sorry if the wording is confusing, I'm not sure how to explain it. I'll attach pictures lol

[COLOR="Red"]If you remove the bumpers from the G8x, there will be nothing but gaping giant holes[/COLOR]. There needs to be some body panel connecting in the bottom half to make that seamless/original look from the F8x series of a normal kidney grill.
No it is not the case.

That big grill is "fake" and is only part of the front bumper facia cosmetic design. If you look inside the grill, you'll see that the bumper structure is still very present and obstructs ~30% of the grill area. The bumper structure is essential fro crash worthiness certification. Audi, Lexus and others do the exact same thing with their "big grills" that span the bumper section.

So it is theoretically possible to make an aftermarket bumper cover that uses a body coloured panel to cover the structural bumper element. This would visually split the front and bottom grill elements without affecting airflow.
I was about to make the same comment but thought I should browse through the comments first in case it already had been adressed 😉👍
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321121.00
      10-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #181
chucho1026
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 & e92 ///M3

I"m sorry but I would rather stick with what BMW has created....
I am already used to it..
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #182
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
No it is not the case.

That big grill is "fake" and is only part of the front bumper facia cosmetic design. If you look inside the grill, you'll see that the bumper structure is still very present and obstructs ~30% of the grill area. The bumper structure is essential fro crash worthiness certification.

So it is theoretically possible to make an aftermarket bumper cover that uses a body coloured panel to cover the structural bumper element. This would visually split the front and bottom grill elements without affecting airflow.
Really? I didn't notice that. Can you send a best picture possible to see that? I'm very curious. I believe aftermarket is the only thing that can save this cars.
There is a solid bar behind the license plate area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #183
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

That yellow M4 designed by Prior Design is beautiful. But it's kind of hard to buy a brand new car and then change the whole front end to make it look better. Also what material would the front bumper be by Prior Design. If it's fiberglass then I will pass on that. The other thing will be the fit and finish compare to OEM.
      10-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #184
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mcarfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
I hope they make this one. I want to see all the G8x owners stick to their original lung grills and not upgrade.

It'll be the new "I swear I'm not buying one"
Agreed that's the best looking by far

Honestly looks fucking great

CURRENT: '18 340i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #185
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
https://www.thedrive.com/news/37132/...y-in-the-works

I compared the design to the M8 and it looks identical. I would rather keep the OEM front bumper just to differentiate from all the other M cars. I don't mind the front too much really.
Lol you would keep that ugly POS because you want to be different from other M cars

You would fit right in with the BMW design team

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #186
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Why is everyone so scared of change? Go buy an M8 if you like that boring front end.
Good taste apparently means "scared of change"

Must be a liberal

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #187
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan35i View Post
Quote:
Why is everyone so scared of change? Go buy an M8 if you like that boring front end.

Must be a liberal
I'm not taking that fishing lure as my manager says
Appreciate 3
low1352213.00
JTO245276.00
      10-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #188
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
People buy MUCH more expensive cars and modify them. There's very few things I buy and don't change to meet my liking.

Wait.
We're not talking about changing rims or paint a wall, we're talking about changing the aspect of the car and turning it into something that is not.
Would you date a girl you don't like?
Also, it's crazy to modify something that could impact air flow, cooling, safety or aerodynamics on a sport car. Again, it's not an old Civic.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #189
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

I'd love to see an option that would allow you to remove the factory kidneys, then snap in a piece that perhaps had smaller grill on the top and bottom separated by some body colored plastic. It would be a much easier mod then trying to remove the whole front bumper and risking breaking stuff under there
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #190
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wait.
We're not talking about changing rims or paint a wall, we're talking about changing the aspect of the car and turning it into something that is not.
Would you date a girl you don't like?
Also, it's crazy to modify something that could impact air flow, cooling, safety or aerodynamics on a sport car. Again, it's not an old Civic.
You're grossly over exaggerating this bumper swap. It's a simple and reversible thing. Most would keep the stock bumper and be able to change it out quicker than swapping a set of wheels. And in the end, if you want to keep the shitty looking one, no one's stopping you. This is just a great option for people that hate the new design and want to go with something more pleasing to them. They'll still own the same car as you and in no way will it be "an old civic"

"Car guys" these days
Appreciate 2
mkoesel7514.50
      10-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #191
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
You're grossly over exaggerating this bumper swap. It's a simple and reversible thing. Most would keep the stock bumper and be able to change it out quicker than swapping a set of wheels. And in the end, if you want to keep the shitty looking one, no one's stopping you. This is just a great option for people that hate the new design and want to go with something more pleasing to them. They'll still own the same car as you and in no way will it be "an old civic"

"Car guys" these days

Would love to see a video of you taking off your existing front bumper and putting it back on vs. you unmounting and mounting your four wheels back on - with a timer. You know...because science.

Not even taking into account the driving assistance tech that is in the G80 front bumper vs. your E88.
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2623.00
      10-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #192
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post

Would love to see a video of you taking off your existing front bumper and putting it back on vs. you unmounting and mounting your four wheels back on - with a timer. You know...because science.

Not even taking into account the driving assistance tech that is in the G80 front bumper vs. your E88.
I plan on going aftermarket bumper on the weekends, stock bumper during Monday thru Friday.
Appreciate 3
mirob3042.50
seis-speed2430.50
VIERsr2623.00
      10-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #193
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

Must be a liberal
Why are Americans obsessed with labeling people? If good taste means boring and the same, then yes; you're scared of change.

Are you even buying a new M3 or M4?
      10-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #194
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Quote:

"Car guys" these days

Wooooah disconnecting some sensors. Wild and intensive work

I guess I forget where I'm posting sometimes
Appreciate 3
      10-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #195
paulso
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
I think it's important to remember that some of the most beautiful or iconic car designs likely (not absolutely) required no "warm up" or appreciation over time.

As you're driving down the road in your shiny new 100k dollar ///m remember that people are likely going to have the same initial reaction to your car that you had when you first saw the reveal.

Whether you care or not is a different conversation, though I'd be willing to bet almost everyone cares to at least a small extent.
This is pretty dumb, most of us buy things we like/ want, and don't care about what others have to say about our cars, watches, shoes, clothes or anything else. I work hard for my money, why in the world would I care about a stranger's opinion? You must be a child still if that is your priority.

So much bitching about the front end - could it have been more attractive? Of course, but what about some of the cars that get lowered to hell and look like complete shit? My point is we all have different tastes, and we all have the option of buying it or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #196
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Must be a liberal
Why are Americans obsessed with labeling people? If good taste means boring and the same, then yes; you're scared of change.

Buddy, your butthurt is showing through the screen. To me it seems you're 'scared' of differing opinions.

Objectively, the improvement is drastic between the original G80 front end and this potential render. You're simply labeling something good-looking as "boring" and "same", likely because you're a new-age progressive who wants to stand out in any way possible, even if it means sacrificing coherent design language.

The M8 isn't even boring. It's also over $130k USD

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #197
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
I think it's important to remember that some of the most beautiful or iconic car designs likely (not absolutely) required no "warm up" or appreciation over time.

As you're driving down the road in your shiny new 100k dollar ///m remember that people are likely going to have the same initial reaction to your car that you had when you first saw the reveal.

Whether you care or not is a different conversation, though I'd be willing to bet almost everyone cares to at least a small extent.
This is pretty dumb, most of us buy things we like/ want, and don't care about what others have to say about our cars, watches, shoes, clothes or anything else. I work hard for my money, why in the world would I care about a stranger's opinion? You must be a child still if that is your priority.

So much bitching about the front end - could it have been more attractive? Of course, but what about some of the cars that get lowered to hell and look like complete shit? My point is we all have different tastes, and we all have the option of buying it or not.
We also all have the option of changing the front end.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #198
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Must be a liberal

Buddy, your butthurt is showing through the screen. To me it seems you're 'scared' of differing opinions.

Objectively, the improvement is drastic between the original G80 front end and this potential render. You're simply labeling something good-looking as "boring" and "same", likely because you're a new-age progressive who wants to stand out in any way possible, even if it means sacrificing coherent design language.

The M8 isn't even boring. It's also over $130k USD
You don't understand the word objectively. I think the original is great and dislike the render. You feel the opposite, both of those statements are subjective.
Appreciate 2
VIERsr2623.00
JTO245276.00