BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-16-2023, 09:06 AM   #375
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by D52M550 View Post
Being a janitor in the fossil fuel industry doesn’t make you an expert in any way.
Ill be sure to reference your comment specifically next time I’m on CNBC giving my quarterly oil macro demand outlook
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #376
D52M550
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
Ill be sure to reference your comment specifically next time I’m on CNBC giving my quarterly oil macro demand outlook
CDNC, huh? That says it all. We all know the spin on global warming and EV’s that network -and many others- preach everyday to convince us all that their ill conceived agenda is the ‘right thing to do’. I will say you made me laugh with your last comment though! Please DM me prior to your next appearance on any of the left wing networks so I can watch...I’m serious about that. Anyway, thanks for the early morning chuckle. Have a great weekend!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #377
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Being a janitor in the fossil fuel industry doesn’t make you an expert in any way.
So even the janitor knows you’re wrong. Good one.
VR1641.00
brava09768.50
      09-16-2023, 09:26 AM   #378
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CDNC, huh? That says it all. We all know the spin on global warming and EV’s that network -and many others- preach everyday to convince us all that their ill conceived agenda is the ‘right thing to do’. I will say you made me laugh with your last comment though! Please DM me prior to your next appearance on any of the left wing networks so I can watch...I’m serious about that. Anyway, thanks for the early morning chuckle. Have a great weekend!
This is the first time I have ever been called left wing for working for big oil and giving network interviews on our upstream capex strategy lmfao. This forum truly is incredible.
Appreciate 6
MNoob1539.50
Needsdecaf6807.50
KevinGS3372.50
LuckyBrand1419.00
      09-16-2023, 10:58 AM   #379
2 overtake
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
23 G42  [0.00]
2020 F87 comp  [0.00]
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1419.00
      09-16-2023, 01:01 PM   #380
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
This is the first time I have ever been called left wing for working for big oil and giving network interviews on our upstream capex strategy lmfao. This forum truly is incredible.
I was thinking it is usually the Janitors that knew precisely what the F$!K is going on. They have the keys to everything and are the first to know when something is out of order.

Although not a normal listener on CNBC I look forward to you actually saying, "I have been referred to as the Janitor of the Fossil Fuel Industry...."
Appreciate 3
Needsdecaf6807.50
VR1641.00
      09-16-2023, 01:39 PM   #381
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
My full range on my M4 after a refill is 140 miles, because I drive it hard. Happy I can refill in 3 minutes at will and drive it hard again.

Beat this EV
I realize that I am a member of a subset of a subset, but there are those of us who bought our M3's and M4's to drive them on race tracks at every opportunity. We are there all day typically putting in 30min to 1hr sessions, and 130-200+ miles. This is absolutely not possible with any current or envisioned hybrid or EV.

I see these guys from time to time, and though they start off like a bat out of Hell, by the end of the session they have already run out of watts and gone back to the paddock. None of them ever finishes a session or stays for the day. This is not steady state cruising on a highway at 75 or so, but foot to the floor very rapid battery drain.

Even the EBB Formula E series race cars have to recharge every 30-45min. and they are equipped with batteries and other tech that will never be used on EV street cars. It's just too expensive.

Track driving is all about having fun. If we weren't having fun we wouldn't be there, and batteries as it stands provide no fun factor. This from a die hard old dinosaur who will be polluting and loving it until I am forced into a wheel chair. ICE ICE Baby!
      09-16-2023, 01:45 PM   #382
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Not listening to someone who knows more than you do about the subject because you don't like it or it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make you smart or rebellious or anti-system. Also, trying to box people into "leftist" categories based on the TV network they appear on also doesn't make you someone that knows what is "really going on". Just makes you ignorant.

Not everything is spun or a conspiracy. If you filter the rhetoric on both sides, you can see the actual facts of what is going on. For instance, CNBC is actually rated centrist on allsidesnow.com https://www.allsides.com/news-source/cnbc Leans left a little, but still centrist. Seems you were just triggered by the letters NBC apparently

Oh, and before you go there, as said above, spouse in O&G, decidedly not leftist.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 09-16-2023 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
VR1641.00
      09-16-2023, 01:54 PM   #383
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ord View Post
I was thinking it is usually the Janitors that knew precisely what the F$!K is going on. They have the keys to everything and are the first to know when something is out of order.

Although not a normal listener on CNBC I look forward to you actually saying, "I have been referred to as the Janitor of the Fossil Fuel Industry...."
Yup.

On Rennlist, all the inside sources are always referred to as "cleaning ladies".
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2023, 02:52 PM   #384
MissMyE46
Rep
Drives: 2023BMW M3 Competition X-drive

As long as I don’t wrap my 23 G80 M3 Comp around a tree, it’s going to be a great investment some day. Every time I see a Tesla on the road I throw up in my mouth a bit.
Appreciate 3
      09-16-2023, 03:34 PM   #385
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ord View Post

I’ll definitely try to insert that next time LOL. I’ve been on most of the major networks (Fox business, WSJ, Bloomberg, CNBC, Reuters, etc.) talking about upstream O&G macro trends
Appreciate 2
M4ord809.50
      09-16-2023, 03:39 PM   #386
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMyE46 View Post
As long as I don’t wrap my 23 G80 M3 Comp around a tree, it’s going to be a great investment some day. Every time I see a Tesla on the road I throw up in my mouth a bit.
Yo breath must reek 🤣
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2023, 08:03 PM   #387
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

The amount of EV sh1t talking here is

Ignore the environmental aspects of an EV for a moment.

Does a quad-motor, torque vectoring 1300hp+ vehicle not sound interesting or exciting? The Model S has better ring times than the m3 CS. And that is a Tesla.. imagine what BMW M can do!

The current M3/4.. the computers are already doing ton of work to make it do what it does. Its piping in sound through the speakers to make it sound better, the engine ECU is adding extra gas to make overrun sounds that are not necessary, and there is a ton of chassis communication between the engine, transmission, differentials, suspension and brakes to make the car better than the driver. It is already a bit fake, its theatre, it is far from analog.. might as well be all-in with the latest tech.
Appreciate 3
      09-16-2023, 08:52 PM   #388
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post

Does a quad-motor, torque vectoring 1300hp+ vehicle not sound interesting or exciting? The Model S has better ring times than the m3 CS. And that is a Tesla.. imagine what BMW M can do!

The current M3/4.. the computers are already doing ton of work to make it do what it does. Its piping in sound through the speakers to make it sound better, the engine ECU is adding extra gas to make overrun sounds that are not necessary, and there is a ton of chassis communication between the engine, transmission, differentials, suspension and brakes to make the car better than the driver. It is already a bit fake, its theatre, it is far from analog.. might as well be all-in with the latest tech.
I think most EV hate is less about the cars and more about how they’re being foisted upon us by governments with their thumb on the scale of the free market.

It gets especially acrimonious when you consider how cars in the American psyche are synonymous with individual freedom so in that context it’s not hard to see how the forced mass adoption of EVs strikes a deep chord with people.

The car was always about getting away from the boot of authority and with the EV it’s almost like a weapon of that authority.

Thinking out loud here.
Appreciate 7
harperium1319.00
M4ord809.50
DavidXJ664.50
D52M55079.50
LuckyBrand1419.00
      09-16-2023, 10:33 PM   #389
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
The M car will deliver that driving experience with their EV I am sure. M car is not just about straight-line, but also handling as I have mentioned. With 1000kw output those straight-line numbers should be easily achieved. With the battery pack likely below the CG and drive motors low to the ground the overall CG will likely be lower, improving handling. We will have to wait and see.
Sure thing an electric M3 will be good to drive, problem though an M3 is meant to be driven hard and then recharge time is the deal breaker
My full range on my M4 is 140 miles, because I drive it hard, I refill in 5 minutes anytime and anywhere and drive it hard again. The EVs are not yet there, sorry.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2023, 11:12 PM   #390
Alpine Wait
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
I think most EV hate is less about the cars and more about how they’re being foisted upon us by governments with their thumb on the scale of the free market.
Just like how governments have had their thumbs on the scales of subsidizing gasoline production/prices for decades right.

Millions have bought EVs without any subsidies. Because they like them. Including the folks here that really like their i4 M50s. They could have bought an M3!
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #391
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post

Model S ring time for a 1,000 hp is ridiculously lousy, go check ring times for modern 1,000 hp cars and see how much faster they are versus the tesla.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2023, 11:33 PM   #392
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Something hit me last night. Seeing this post is like the first time spy photos came out for the g80.. I think we all said. “NO FUCKING WAY THEYRE GOING TO USE THAT GRILL”

I’ve now accepted the next m3 will be an ev.

Denial, acceptance… what’s the next stage of grief?
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2023, 12:33 AM   #393
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
I don't understand that sentiment very much. Usually, if you make trash, you should clean it up yourself. If every ICE owner had to pay for the CO_2 their car spits into the atmosphere, car costs would be prohibitively expensive and for the 1% only (as will running ICE cars on synthetic fuels I guess). So by externalizing the costs to everybody, ICE owners have been subsidized by a lot over the last decades, not even talking about the hefty O&G subsidies.

Now that the world is burning, governments try to do their absolute minimum to steer the course some degrees away from the abyss, and y'all are screaming. Just like a oil tanker, it takes a long time for steering to have an effect, and turning things around will take decades.

The current level of climate change might be tolerable for most of you where you live, but even if all pollution would stop immediately, things will get worse for a few decades due to all the CO_2 we already blew into the atmosphere and that is no longer buffered by the oceans.

Also, it's not a free market, look how the US automakers had to be bailed out just a few years ago.
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1419.00
      09-17-2023, 05:55 AM   #394
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
It's not the forum that does it; global warming evaporates brain juice
      09-17-2023, 06:01 AM   #395
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I realize that I am a member of a subset of a subset, but there are those of us who bought our M3's and M4's to drive them on race tracks at every opportunity. We are there all day typically putting in 30min to 1hr sessions, and 130-200+ miles. This is absolutely not possible with any current or envisioned hybrid or EV.

I see these guys from time to time, and though they start off like a bat out of Hell, by the end of the session they have already run out of watts and gone back to the paddock. None of them ever finishes a session or stays for the day. This is not steady state cruising on a highway at 75 or so, but foot to the floor very rapid battery drain.

Even the EBB Formula E series race cars have to recharge every 30-45min. and they are equipped with batteries and other tech that will never be used on EV street cars. It's just too expensive.

Track driving is all about having fun. If we weren't having fun we wouldn't be there, and batteries as it stands provide no fun factor. This from a die hard old dinosaur who will be polluting and loving it until I am forced into a wheel chair. ICE ICE Baby!
I'm not a person who tracks much, but I do like driving a car like I stole it when the occasion arises. It is fun in the right place at the right time.

I have driven EVs and cannot say I get the same rush of blood to the outer extremities with them as I do with ICEs

I concur with you wholeheartedly

ICE ICE BABY
      09-17-2023, 06:10 AM   #396
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Wait View Post
Just like how governments have had their thumbs on the scales of subsidizing gasoline production/prices for decades right.

Millions have bought EVs without any subsidies. Because they like them. Including the folks here that really like their i4 M50s. They could have bought an M3!
Did I hear you correctly: millions have bought EVs WITHOUT subsidies!?

Gob-smacked