First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
To those of you who got banned, as a moderator on another highly trafficked forum, I'd say it's probably not what you said but how you said it. You're entitled to your opinion. On a forum, repeatedly spamming the forum with negative comments and personally going after people who don't share that opinion as "sheep" or "weak" for not admitting something is what gets you banned.
I don’t know if the moderators here would agree with your statement but it would be sad if they do. “How you said it”? Really? How is that even done in text? Can you hear a person’s tone in a forum? Even if there is name calling why is that reason to get banned? Especially if someone can block someone if they want to. This is a forum. Which means it’s a bunch of faceless people who know they can get away with saying things they wouldn’t normally say if the person was standing in front of them. A “forum” by definition is an area for free speech. Moderators who use their position to ban people based on how something is said or repeatedly saying something negative is just abusing their power. Unless it’s advocating violence or some other criminal action or content then people should be able to say what they want.
Appreciate 3
      07-21-2023, 12:39 PM   #68
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
I don’t know if the moderators here would agree with your statement but it would be sad if they do. “How you said it”? Really? How is that even done in text? Can you hear a person’s tone in a forum? Even if there is name calling why is that reason to get banned? Especially if someone can block someone if they want to. This is a forum. Which means it’s a bunch of faceless people who know they can get away with saying things they wouldn’t normally say if the person was standing in front of them. A “forum” by definition is an area for free speech. Moderators who use their position to ban people based on how something is said or repeatedly saying something negative is just abusing their power. Unless it’s advocating violence or some other criminal action or content then people should be able to say what they want.
Saying something negative is fine. I hear it a fair amount with my car. I have friends who flat out think my car is ugly; that's cool. Like I can say the f80 did nothing for me and was not my favorite M. But if I constantly go to every F80 thread and say something like "the F80 is the biggest piece of dog shit ever and anyone who says otherwise is just lying to themselves" it gets tiresome and annoying; adding nothing to the conversation. A lot of the G80 bashing was like that and not just people politely voicing their opinions... it also was right when the G80 came out and current g80 owners/potential owners interested in the car were tired of seeing the same people spam every thread.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #69
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
I wish someone would make an alternate bumper with classic kidneys for this car. There was a lot of talk from companies out there how they were going to design a bumper to get ride of the pig snout when the car was still in camo. Looks like no one ever came through.
See my earlier post above... the main reason no vendor made one like that is because it's not really feasible due to the stuff under the skin. It would require extensive modifications, including a new hood to make it look somewhat cohesive. I bet if anyone vendor came close, they realized the market is very small since it would most likely cost >$10k to sell.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #70
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Saying something negative is fine. I hear it a fair amount with my car. I have friends who flat out think my car is ugly; that's cool. Like I can say the f80 did nothing for me and was not my favorite M. But if I constantly go to every F80 thread and say something like "the F80 is the biggest piece of dog shit ever and anyone who says otherwise is just lying to themselves" it gets tiresome and annoying; adding nothing to the conversation. A lot of the G80 bashing was like that and not just people politely voicing their opinions... it also was right when the G80 came out and current g80 owners/potential owners interested in the car were tired of seeing the same people spam every thread.
Tiresome and annoying is free speech. We can only politely voice opinions or get banned? That isn’t freedom, it’s authoritarianism. I’ve heard way worse about the F8x and to my face, and it’s never bothered me. It’s a car. Of all the things to get upset about this is way down the list. Which is why I come to these forums to begin with. To have fun, be entertained, maybe make a friend or get a deal on a mod. Someone being offensive, tiresome or annoying makes it more interesting. If the G8x owners don’t like the criticism that comes with buying what is obviously a controversial car then they should buy an Accord or grow a pair. Honestly, if the moderators are here to make safe spaces for certain cars then the forum should be shut down.
Appreciate 6
      07-21-2023, 02:11 PM   #71
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
You almost got that right.

Actually, y'all were incessantly rage-spamming every G80/82 thread. Just like y'all do the G87 ones now.

Now you have your echo chamber, we have ours. Thanks for stopping by with that shinny new account and all.
This is exactly it.
Appreciate 2
mirob3034.50
      07-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #72
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Tiresome and annoying is free speech. We can only politely voice opinions or get banned? That isn’t freedom, it’s authoritarianism. I’ve heard way worse about the F8x and to my face, and it’s never bothered me. It’s a car. Of all the things to get upset about this is way down the list. Which is why I come to these forums to begin with. To have fun, be entertained, maybe make a friend or get a deal on a mod. Someone being offensive, tiresome or annoying makes it more interesting. If the G8x owners don’t like the criticism that comes with buying what is obviously a controversial car then they should buy an Accord or grow a pair. Honestly, if the moderators are here to make safe spaces for certain cars then the forum should be shut down.
Free speech only applies as it pertains to the government (…and one could argue even that no longer exists in today’s world), not a privately owned and operated forum. Venturing into a thread with the sole objective to incite does nothing for the community and it does nothing to elevate the forum. It also directly affects/impacts the user experience for other members who simply want to discuss the merits of a vehicle without the ancillary/excessive negativity.
Appreciate 5
mirob3034.50
JTO245276.00
JDUNITNOW3513.00
khanyam4801.50
      07-21-2023, 02:36 PM   #73
RosalieeeV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive, 2dr Bronco

Has anyone modified the OEM CSL grill to interact with the ACC?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 02:37 PM   #74
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Free speech only applies as it pertains to the government (…and one could argue that no longer exists in today’s world), not a privately owned and operated forum. Venturing into a thread with the sole objective to incite does nothing for the community and it does nothing to elevate the forum. It also directly affects the user experience of other members.
That isn’t true, especially legally. Private companies and institutions may have more restrictions but even that has limits. You don’t give up your freedoms just because you enter a forum. And what do you mean “incite”? To anger? That’s worthy of being banned? By that measure we’ve all done that, inadvertently or not. Should we be banned if someone reports us as having angered them? None of us would last long if that were the case. And who determines what incites and what doesn’t? A small group of moderators based on their opinion in the moment? Are you saying we can only post if it does something for the community and elevates the forum? Perhaps it should be considered that the reason freedom is being eroded today is because of thinking like this.
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2023, 02:44 PM   #75
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That isn’t true, especially legally. Private companies and institutions may have more restrictions but even that has limits. You don’t give up your freedoms just because you enter a forum. And what do you mean “incite”? To anger? That’s worthy of being banned? By that measure we’ve all done that, inadvertently or not. Should we be banned if someone reports us as having angered them? None of us would last long if that were the case. And who determines what incites and what doesn’t? A small group of moderators based on their opinion in the moment? Are you saying we can only post if it does something for the community and elevates the forum? Perhaps it should be considered that the reason freedom is being eroded today is because of thinking like this.
Yes, it's at the discretion of the moderators. If you don't like it, you have the freedom to not participate in the Bimmerpost forums; I'm sure it's in the terms you agree to when you sign up. And you seem to paint with a broad brush your assumptions about how we all act on the forums. Like I said, differing opinions are welcomed, to me anyway. But if one is going to post in a dickish way, contributing nothing to the thread topic, I have no issues with Moderators stepping in.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
TargaM22489.00
      07-21-2023, 02:49 PM   #76
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
It is true legally. You are a member here on a privately owned forum with explicit rules about what is or isn’t allowed. You do not have a right to be here.

I am not going to sit here and articulate what happened back at the G8X’s inception. If you can’t understand the difference between a casual comment that might ruffle a feather and an incessant, tiresome influx of comments solely intended to disrupt the natural flow of conversation, I’m not going to waste my energy trying to convey it to you.

Lastly, yes, moderators and admin staff make the decision(s). After all, they are tasked with policing the forum and making the environment enjoyable for everybody. If this forum is run anything like the forums I moderate, there’s a section where moderators and admin staff get together and discuss issues. During those discussions an approach is agreed upon and implemented. This isn’t rocket science.

P.S. Regarding your comment about “small groups of people rendering decisions based on their opinions at the moment,” that sounds a lot like how our court systems run in this country (…e.g., lower courts, the USSC, etc.). An opinion today could, and often is, ruled invalid at a later time.
Appreciate 3
JTO245276.00
khanyam4801.50
      07-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #77
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomsapple View Post
It’s really surprising no one makes a M340i style grille. That would be the only thing that put me in one but haven’t seen it done.
I also dont undrerstand this. I guess it is easier said than done.

Some CSL grilles with hexagon shapes look pretty interesting. One thing I never understood - arent people afraid of rock chips? I actually installed a mesh behind grilles on my car because of all the rockchip damage to radiators at the track risk. Here it is wide open.

Last edited by Tallest; 07-21-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 03:35 PM   #78
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Yes, it's at the discretion of the moderators. If you don't like it, you have the freedom to not participate in the Bimmerpost forums; I'm sure it's in the terms you agree to when you sign up. And you seem to paint with a broad brush your assumptions about how we all act on the forums. Like I said, differing opinions are welcomed, to me anyway. But if one is going to post in a dickish way, contributing nothing to the thread topic, I have no issues with Moderators stepping in.
Quote:
It is true legally. You are a member here on a privately owned forum with explicit rules about what is or isn’t allowed. You do not have a right to be here.

I am not going to sit here and articulate what happened back at the G8X’s inception. If you can’t understand the difference between a casual comment that might ruffle a feather and an incessant, tiresome influx of comments solely intended to disrupt the natural flow of conversation, I’m not going to waste my energy trying to convey it to you.

Lastly, yes, moderators and admin staff make the decision(s). After all, they are tasked with policing the forum and making the environment enjoyable for everybody. If this forum is run anything like the forums I moderate, there’s a section where moderators and admin staff get together and discuss issues. During those discussions an approach is agreed upon and implemented. This isn’t rocket science.

P.S. Regarding your comment about “small groups of people rendering decisions based on their opinions at the moment,” that sounds a lot like how our court systems run in this country (…e.g., lower courts, the USSC, etc.). An opinion today could, and often is, ruled invalid at a later time.
In making the strongly worded posts you both made, you’re only making my argument for me. I’ve read the terms and conditions. If I were a moderator I could ban you both (and myself) for what has been said above:

Strong, vulgar, obscene or otherwise harmful language,
Racially, ethnically or otherwise, objectionable language,
Harassing, intimidating, stalking or threatening other community members,
Libelous, defamatory or otherwise tortious language

What’s strong or harmful language? Calling a car ugly? Or a piece of crap? Or calling the owner an idiot for buying such a car? In all the posts I’ve read in this forum none have risen to the level contained in these terms and conditions. Childish, crude and filled with profanity? Sure, but that shouldn’t be reason to ban anyone, even if they do it over and over again. Especially if it’s about how a car looks.

The moderators aren’t Judges and their work definitely doesn’t rise to that level. As I said above, private entities can put rules in place for behavior but that still doesn’t mean we all check our freedoms at the door of a forum. What happened with the G8x debates did not violate the terms and conditions. All it was, was a bunch of people who couldn’t handle other people calling their car ugly. Say all you want but comments solely intended to disrupt the natural flow of conversation are not banned in the terms and conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 03:36 PM   #79
wowwitsgau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000 x2, 2022 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Got any pics?
I got you, here’s mine

I’m using BMW part number 17119882366, which is the OEM part for the lower radiator guard that comes standard on the base M3
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Needsdecaf6599.00
2SG5277.00
yeetyeet391.50
      07-21-2023, 03:54 PM   #80
silversuv
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
You almost got that right.

Actually, y'all were incessantly rage-spamming every G80/82 thread. Just like y'all do the G87 ones now.

Now you have your echo chamber, we have ours. Thanks for stopping by with that shinny new account and all.

It sounds like I touched a nerve...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 04:17 PM   #81
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_void View Post
Check out @1sickg80 on Instagram. He has a unique grille (as far as I know) that's pretty close to what you're describing.
Looks like he had a carbon GT3 style grille and ended up painting the center section body color, and filling in the bottom with mesh to match the stock mesh.

Interesting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 05:00 PM   #82
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
In making the strongly worded posts you both made, you’re only making my argument for me. I’ve read the terms and conditions. If I were a moderator I could ban you both (and myself) for what has been said above:

Strong, vulgar, obscene or otherwise harmful language,
Racially, ethnically or otherwise, objectionable language,
Harassing, intimidating, stalking or threatening other community members,
Libelous, defamatory or otherwise tortious language

What’s strong or harmful language? Calling a car ugly? Or a piece of crap? Or calling the owner an idiot for buying such a car? In all the posts I’ve read in this forum none have risen to the level contained in these terms and conditions. Childish, crude and filled with profanity? Sure, but that shouldn’t be reason to ban anyone, even if they do it over and over again. Especially if it’s about how a car looks.

The moderators aren’t Judges and their work definitely doesn’t rise to that level. As I said above, private entities can put rules in place for behavior but that still doesn’t mean we all check our freedoms at the door of a forum. What happened with the G8x debates did not violate the terms and conditions. All it was, was a bunch of people who couldn’t handle other people calling their car ugly. Say all you want but comments solely intended to disrupt the natural flow of conversation are not banned in the terms and conditions.
Nothing stated above violates anything mentioned in the bold-faced text.

I’ll say it again since you don’t seem to understand the context and concept of free speech: being on this forum is not a right……it is a privilege. It is privately owned and operated; it is not a government entity. At any time and for any reason (…or for no reason at all) your access to this forum can be revoked, and the owners are well within their right(s) to do so. Most speech is governed to some degree. Sometimes it’s a minimal intrusion on free speech and sometimes it’s a significant intrusion. Stop mentioning the idea of “freedom” here while trying to apply the same protections as we have in the tactile space known as the real world. You very much check your freedoms at the door when you join an online forum.
Appreciate 2
khanyam4801.50
JTO245276.00
      07-21-2023, 05:16 PM   #83
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Great thread idea & clearly a big help to those contemplating such a change, shame it got somewhat derailed by ‘ignored users’.
Well done IND & FWIW I think the CSL options are the standout design choice.
Sedan_Clan25113.50
JTO245276.00
Xtabi1701.50
      07-21-2023, 05:23 PM   #84
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Great thread idea & clearly a big help to those contemplating such a change, shame it got somewhat derailed.
FWIW I think the CSL options are the standout design choice.
I agree. The CSL options would be at the top of my list if I were a G8X owner.
Appreciate 2
FloridaM5461.00
2SG5277.00
      07-21-2023, 06:02 PM   #85
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Great thread from ind for sure. I voted with my dollars for the vorsteiner abs grill...installed it last weekend. I dig the Csl and others too. Cool to have options.

Amazing how such a good thread can be turned into an absolute Dumpster fire by a couple of members. Starting to see a pattern there...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 08:19 PM   #86
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Nothing stated above violates anything mentioned in the bold-faced text.

I’ll say it again since you don’t seem to understand the context and concept of free speech: being on this forum is not a right……it is a privilege. It is privately owned and operated; it is not a government entity. At any time and for any reason (…or for no reason at all) your access to this forum can be revoked, and the owners are well within their right(s) to do so. Most speech is governed to some degree. Sometimes it’s a minimal intrusion on free speech and sometimes it’s a significant intrusion. Stop mentioning the idea of “freedom” here while trying to apply the same protections as we have in the tactile space known as the real world. You very much check your freedoms at the door when you join an online forum.
You don’t seem to understand the principles of freedom inherent even in a private company. Sure, a forum can censor or revoke access at any moment but they do so in opposition to the thing they say they are. That being a forum of opinions, ideas, and knowledge. Otherwise known as free speech. That’s why they make a terms and conditions to begin with. An attempt to set ground rules for the freedoms exercised. You can’t have a forum without some idea of freedom being interwoven into the very concept. Otherwise it isn’t a forum. What do you think you’re doing in replying to me? You’re excercising a freedom. The terms and conditions only exist in as much as they augment the freedom within a forum. When moderators arbitrarily censor members outside the terms and conditions then they negatively impact the very thing they are tasked with maintaining. People excercising their freedoms is what enables a forum to begin with. In other words, the moderators did more damage banning people from the G8x forum than any jerk posting an annoying opinion.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 08:50 PM   #87
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Given it’s autotecknic I assume fitment is what, 80% at best?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 10:16 PM   #88
smithf80
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowwitsgau View Post
I got you, here’s mine

I’m using BMW part number 17119882366, which is the OEM part for the lower radiator guard that comes standard on the base M3

So if I have a 6MT car, I already have this? Or I have it on the top and just would buy a second one to protect the bottom?