BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-13-2024, 09:33 AM   #1
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Bad leather texture on my G80 CS

I’ve had my CS for just under a year now and when I took it out the garage to give it a wipe over I noticed this horrible texture on the rear seats leather.

The texture is extremely hard it looks like it’s dried out?!

The car is parked in my garage at all times.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:14 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Yeah, that isn’t good. Take that in. Have you put anything in it that would dry it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:16 AM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy94 View Post
I’ve had my CS for just under a year now and when I took it out the garage to give it a wipe over I noticed this horrible texture on the rear seats leather.

The texture is extremely hard it looks like it’s dried out?!

The car is parked in my garage at all times.
Get it warranties before the warranty runs out.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:17 AM   #4
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

Should be covered under warranty. I had an issue with my wife’s 328 a few years ago with the rear seat leather and they ordered another seat and replaced it. It was still fairly new at the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 12:32 PM   #5
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yeah, that isn’t good. Take that in. Have you put anything in it that would dry it out?
Nothing…

I used a ceramic coating for the leather by gyeon which was applied literally a week after a picked it up in July last year.

If it was that, I’d suspect it’d be everywhere! But it’s isolated to that area. Also it seems like the alternating side of that same part is getting really hard and feels dry :S

I’ve literally just noticed this now, car has 1700 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:44 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Nothing…

I used a ceramic coating for the leather by gyeon which was applied literally a week after a picked it up in July last year.

If it was that, I’d suspect it’d be everywhere! But it’s isolated to that area. Also it seems like the alternating side of that same part is getting really hard and feels dry :S

I’ve literally just noticed this now, car has 1700 miles on it.
Yeah, 100% take that in for warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 02:45 PM   #7
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Inspect your weather seal on the door in that area. If it’s letting water in, it’ll look like that over time as it gets wet and then dries out and the entire process repeats each time you wash it or it rains.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:00 PM   #8
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Inspect your weather seal on the door in that area. If it’s letting water in, it’ll look like that over time as it gets wet and then dries out and the entire process repeats each time you wash it or it rains.
Someone ran a diagnostic on my car yesterday and said a fault popped up saying “driver side rear window initialisation”.

This is the same side where the leather is ruined. Could this fault be the issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:30 PM   #9
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Someone ran a diagnostic on my car yesterday and said a fault popped up saying “driver side rear window initialisation”.

This is the same side where the leather is ruined. Could this fault be the issue?
There could be a leak somewhere in that area and it might be causing an intermittent electrical fault with a sensor or motor/controls for that rear window while also messing with that seat. That’s too localized for it to be “coincidental”. Dealership needs to look closer at seals and seams on that door, hopefully whomever scanned your car didn’t clear that code and left it to the dealership can see it.

Have you recently (in the past 1-2 months) had tint or PPF install or had anyone do a full wash or detail on your car outside of yourself? Sometimes idiots washing cars will spray things down with the doors or windows open to get to all the crevices and they don’t quickly dry things out. If that happened, it could be water got sprayed and messed with a sensor for the window electronics as well as mess with your seat leather. Initially I thought it might be just from rain by someone constantly using that seat/door. Does anyone sit in that position constantly? Maybe passengers left your window down and it rained in…
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:37 PM   #10
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Upon further observation… that is a hell of a lot of orange peel in that door jam. If that’s PPF in the jam, then that’s probably what happened… lots of solution overspray and seeped in and up into the foam of the seat and soaked into the leather from behind it and hardened up and dried like this. The heavy solution use was probably also what cause the window regulator electrical error to pop up as well. Confirm you do or don’t have PPF in that area and when it was installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:42 PM   #11
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Upon further observation… that is a hell of a lot of orange peel in that door jam. If that’s PPF in the jam, then that’s probably what happened… lots of solution overspray and seeped in and up into the foam of the seat and soaked into the leather from behind it and hardened up and dried like this. The heavy solution use was probably also what cause the window regulator electrical error to pop up as well. Confirm you do or don’t have PPF in that area and when it was installed.
Can you draw a circle to the part of the car your talking about?

Car has full PPF done just under a year ago. I would’ve definitely noticed the damage to the leather within that time frame.

If you are indeed talking about the door shuts there is no PPF on the door shuts. Just on the actual door and wrapped around the edges. The shuts are naked.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:51 PM   #12
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Yeah, I’m talking about the black painted part of the door jam in the photo you posted… inline with the part of the seat that’s affected. Maybe it’s the light, but just seemed like that black isn’t flat and shiny and had PPF on top… maybe BMW paint is orangepeely in that area like that. 🤷*♂️

If the jams on the body side aren’t PPFd then go with what I said in the other prior post.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:53 PM   #13
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I’m talking about the black painted part of the door jam in the photo you posted… inline with the part of the seat that’s affected. Maybe it’s the light, but just seemed like that black isn’t flat and shiny and had PPF on top… maybe BMW paint is orangepeely in that area like that. 🤷*♂️

If the jams on the body side aren’t PPFd then go with what I said in the other prior post.
Yeah the guy who ran the codes cleared the code

What are the chances it re appears?

I just hope BMW don’t cause a fuss…
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 04:43 PM   #14
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

If the issue is intermittent, it’ll reappear. If it was just a quick glitch, it won’t. I guess maybe try using that window repetitively until you go in and see if the up/down usage causes the code to reappear. It’s certainly strange you’d have a code for a window module on that same corner where it looks like you’ve got water damage to the seat, ya know?
Appreciate 0