home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

12-09-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
Itson451
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i, BMW M3

KW V4 Official review

Note: I know some people on the forum have this setup but have briefly mentioned in passing but have not gone into detail about their coilovers, so this is an independent review

Price: too expensive 6.5k but that's what you have to pay for in todays market for 3 way adjustable dampers

Ride quality: this category will be broken up into two sub categories

V4 vs Stock: there is a dramatic difference btw electronically adjustable dampers vs independly adjustable one. Stock comfort sport and sport + are good settings for people who value daily drivability and occasional track day. However when cornering hard weight transfer becomes obvious. For me the stock setup is too "soft", so a coilover is necessary to achieve a more focused ride

V4 vs HAS kits: in both cases a desirable stance can be achieved but the nature of the springs is too close to stock to tell a difference. However in both setups stock and HAS kits , when driving fast the car still feels floaty.

V4: there are two setups you can achieve out of the both comfort i suppose with a relatively high bump low and bump high and rebound. This setup maybe close to stock. However iam not interested in comfort so I chose sport+ with a row rebound and bump low and high. My impressions are the I love it, the car feels focused and much more hunkered down than stock. The car feels shrink wrapped around its body. I feel there is much more grip on the front axel even in 4wd sport. There may even be more steering feedback. But the biggest changed are high speed cornering. The suspension is telling me where the front wheels are relative to the curve. Secondly high speed on the highway now all the stuff dampened out by the stock shocks become apparent to me so every single change in surface texture I can feel when driving fast and the floatyness is completely gone. However in my setup rebound is low so every bump you go over you feel throughout the chasis BUT DOES NOT disrupt the composure of the car.

Who is this for? Track rats and people who really want to dial in their ride Thanks for making it this far in the review, message me if you want to know more
Appreciate 9
      12-09-2022, 03:26 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Appreciate the review.

Was going to ask if you had any track days on the suspension but saw you answered towards the bottom of your review. V4 might be a bit overkill for a daily, but a good and properly set up suspension really makes this platform fun to drive.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
Itson451
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i, BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Appreciate the review.

Was going to ask if you had any track days on the suspension but saw you answered towards the bottom of your review. V4 might be a bit overkill for a daily, but a good and properly set up suspension really makes this platform fun to drive.
Tom, I have not done a track day with this setup yet, I plan on doing one in the near future. It can be a good daily just adjust the coilovers to softer settings. I live in miami so our roads are perfect so a stiff setup on our roads is fine
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8271.00
      12-10-2022, 08:22 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 10:17 AM   #5
Maxy G80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Base (Manual RWD)

Very helpful review, had any experiences with the Clubsport series? Im researching about difference between V4 and V4 Clubsport, wonder what major performance boost a clubspt would make on highways.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 09:39 PM   #6
Gryph8n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M440i xdrive, X5, Acura MDX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itson451 View Post
Note: I know some people on the forum have this setup but have briefly mentioned in passing but have not gone into detail about their coilovers, so this is an independent review

Price: too expensive 6.5k but that's what you have to pay for in todays market for 3 way adjustable dampers

Ride quality: this category will be broken up into two sub categories

V4 vs Stock: there is a dramatic difference btw electronically adjustable dampers vs independly adjustable one. Stock comfort sport and sport + are good settings for people who value daily drivability and occasional track day. However when cornering hard weight transfer becomes obvious. For me the stock setup is too "soft", so a coilover is necessary to achieve a more focused ride

V4 vs HAS kits: in both cases a desirable stance can be achieved but the nature of the springs is too close to stock to tell a difference. However in both setups stock and HAS kits , when driving fast the car still feels floaty.

V4: there are two setups you can achieve out of the both comfort i suppose with a relatively high bump low and bump high and rebound. This setup maybe close to stock. However iam not interested in comfort so I chose sport+ with a row rebound and bump low and high. My impressions are the I love it, the car feels focused and much more hunkered down than stock. The car feels shrink wrapped around its body. I feel there is much more grip on the front axel even in 4wd sport. There may even be more steering feedback. But the biggest changed are high speed cornering. The suspension is telling me where the [...]
What are the actual settings that you are using? What are your alignment and abet specs? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:21 AM   #7
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy G80 View Post
Very helpful review, had any experiences with the Clubsport series? Im researching about difference between V4 and V4 Clubsport, wonder what major performance boost a clubspt would make on highways.
Here you go (but it is for the old M3 / M4 F8x):

https://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/in...in-the-bmw-m4/
Appreciate 0