BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

09-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #23
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

UPDATE: So the dealer has had my car for a week now. They say that 100% the problem is not with the braking system. The regional BMW tech asked them to reset the transmission "adaptions" and that did nothing. Now they had them unhook the transfer case thinking it might be a problem with the AWD system (which I told them when I brought the car in that the problem occurs both in AWD and 4WD Sport modes). Anyway, they disconnected the transfer case and the problem still exists. Now they are waiting for the regional tech to tell them what to do next and since it is a holiday weekend, I am probably looking at least another week with no M3. All they have been able to determine for sure so far is that a) its not a brake system problem and b) the problem is more noticeable when it is hot out (which I already told them when I brought the car in). At least they gave me a new X5 loaner that uses 2x as much gas for the same amount of driving as my M3 does
      09-04-2022, 02:04 PM   #24
JoNaH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

I'm having the same issue now, haven't went to the dealer yet. Really interested in what they find out about your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 06:58 PM   #25
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoNaH View Post
I'm having the same issue now, haven't went to the dealer yet. Really interested in what they find out about your car.
Ill post another update. At this point my SA is not making me feel confident that this is going to be resolved this week. His last comment was “I’d contact BMW if I were you to see if you can get some credit for that amount of time we will ultimately need to figure this out.”
Appreciate 1
JoNaH279.00
      09-04-2022, 09:11 PM   #26
JoNaH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Quote:
Ill post another update. At this point my SA is not making me feel confident that this is going to be resolved this week. His last comment was “I’d contact BMW if I were you to see if you can get some credit for that amount of time we will ultimately need to figure this out.”
Wow! That's not very promising. It doesn't happen each item I stop but goes and comes as the car gets warmer. And it's much more noticeable in m2 mode. I'll keep checking here, hope u get it resolved sooner rather than later. Wondering if bmw will step in and help you.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 06:55 AM   #27
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
UPDATE: So the dealer has had my car for a week now. They say that 100% the problem is not with the braking system. The regional BMW tech asked them to reset the transmission "adaptions" and that did nothing. Now they had them unhook the transfer case thinking it might be a problem with the AWD system (which I told them when I brought the car in that the problem occurs both in AWD and 4WD Sport modes). Anyway, they disconnected the transfer case and the problem still exists. Now they are waiting for the regional tech to tell them what to do next and since it is a holiday weekend, I am probably looking at least another week with no M3. All they have been able to determine for sure so far is that a) its not a brake system problem and b) the problem is more noticeable when it is hot out (which I already told them when I brought the car in). At least they gave me a new X5 loaner that uses 2x as much gas for the same amount of driving as my M3 does
Sorry to hear about your troubles OP. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Is this an exaggeration? (Statement in bold). My M4 can suck down some gas in the right mode. I am surprised an SUV with a 22 gallon tank compares to our G8X vehicles in range per tank. I would not be happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #28
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ord View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles OP. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Is this an exaggeration? (Statement in bold). My M4 can suck down some gas in the right mode. I am surprised an SUV with a 22 gallon tank compares to our G8X vehicles in range per tank. I would not be happy.
I didn’t measure by exact science but I do have a fairly regular weekly commute schedule. I typically fill my M3 once a week. One week in the X5 also required a full fill up starting from a full tank, driving exclusively in Eco Pro mode.
Appreciate 1
M4ord805.00
      09-06-2022, 10:23 AM   #29
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
I didn’t measure by exact science but I do have a fairly regular weekly commute schedule. I typically fill my M3 once a week. One week in the X5 also required a full fill up starting from a full tank, driving exclusively in Eco Pro mode.
Thanks for the reply. Hope I didn't come off as dismissive, I was just surprised by that statement based on my own assumptions. Good luck with the original brake issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 12:42 AM   #30
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ord View Post
Thanks for the reply. Hope I didn't come off as dismissive, I was just surprised by that statement based on my own assumptions. Good luck with the original brake issues.
Not at all. I took no offense.
Appreciate 1
M4ord805.00
      09-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #31
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

UPDATE 2: Apparently they have determined they need to replace both my engine mounts. Parts won’t be here until Friday. Based on how quickly this service department usually works, I’m mentally preparing to have no M3 until at least next Monday.
Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3731.00
      09-07-2022, 11:05 PM   #32
JoNaH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE 2: Apparently they have determined they need to replace both my engine mounts. Parts won't be here until Friday. Based on how quickly this service department usually works, I'm mentally preparing to have no M3 until at least next Monday.
Wow, glad to hear that it's nothing too crazy. Mine is only doing it every blue moon now. Wondering if it's worth going in for. Might stop and speak to the service manager and see what he thinks after I mention your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:13 AM   #33
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow, glad to hear that it's nothing too crazy. Mine is only doing it every blue moon now. Wondering if it's worth going in for. Might stop and speak to the service manager and see what he thinks after I mention your car.
Not too crazy? I mean I guess it’s better than having to replace a transfer case or something but it still sounds major to me. I hate the idea of some stateside tech that has barely worked on our cars doing this.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 01:29 AM   #34
JoNaH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not too crazy? I mean I guess it’s better than having to replace a transfer case or something but it still sounds major to me. I hate the idea of some stateside tech that has barely worked on our cars doing this.
From my past experience with cars engine mounts were always a pretty quick job. But I do understand your concern as i personally would prefer no one doing any job like that on it especially with the car being so new. I'm hoping my cats symptoms stay as mild as they are so I can avoid what you just went through.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 09:34 PM   #35
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
This thread is giving me flashbacks to an issue I had with my previous E92 335is. There are many similarities to what you're describing. I even had a PuMA case opened on that car. It had similar symptoms with vibrations and shuddering when the car was fully warmed up. Sometimes it would be very prominent, but other times not so much. They checked for bad pulleys, replaced engine belts, replaced engine mounts, etc. to no avail. In the end it turned out to be an oil return line from a front heat exchanger which had come lose from its clamp and was resting directly on the chassis. The pumping action of the oil through the line transferred vibrations into the chassis. This also made sense why it only happened once the car was fully warmed up. It took them over a month to figure this out, but it was an easy fix once they knew what it was. If replacing your engine mounts doesn't address your issue maybe you should ask them to look into the oil cooling system. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
KANdaddy2505.00
JoNaH279.00
      09-09-2022, 10:10 PM   #36
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
This thread is giving me flashbacks to an issue I had with my previous E92 335is. There are many similarities to what you're describing. I even had a PuMA case opened on that car. It had similar symptoms with vibrations and shuddering when the car was fully warmed up. Sometimes it would be very prominent, but other times not so much. They checked for bad pulleys, replaced engine belts, replaced engine mounts, etc. to no avail. In the end it turned out to be an oil return line from a front heat exchanger which had come lose from its clamp and was resting directly on the chassis. The pumping action of the oil through the line transferred vibrations into the chassis. This also made sense why it only happened once the car was fully warmed up. It took them over a month to figure this out, but it was an easy fix once they knew what it was. If replacing your engine mounts doesn't address your issue maybe you should ask them to look into the oil cooling system. Good luck.
Hey. Thank for the info! I will relay this message verbatim to my SA tomorrow. The mounts were supposed to show up today and I received a message they are delayed until at least Tuesday. Seems they have plenty of time to look into your suggestion and maybe will discover that is the problem. At this point, they have had the car for 2 weeks and have done next to nothing but drive it around. When I talk to them it is clear they are just shooting in the dark.

Did your situation happen only when braking?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 12:33 AM   #37
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Hey. Thank for the info! I will relay this message verbatim to my SA tomorrow. The mounts were supposed to show up today and I received a message they are delayed until at least Tuesday. Seems they have plenty of time to look into your suggestion and maybe will discover that is the problem. At this point, they have had the car for 2 weeks and have done next to nothing but drive it around. When I talk to them it is clear they are just shooting in the dark.

Did your situation happen only when braking?
I felt it more when braking, but that was because the vibrations would transfer more easily into my foot since I was pressing the brake pedal. I also had vibrations in the steering wheel like you mentioned. But I wouldn't say it was specifically related to the brakes. I saw you mentioned that you felt some vibrations on the freeway too. My guess is that you may think it's from the brakes because when slowing down a lot of the cars NVH (wind noise, tires noise, etc.) tapers off so any vibrations coming from the engine would then be more noticeable.

It was a weird issue on my previous car. Sometimes it would vibrate, other times it felt like pulsating or shuddering and at other times it wouldn't do it at all. The technician believed the hose was probably moving around from the pumping action of the cooling system and from the normal temperature cycles of the car. So sometimes the hose was right up against the chassis causing a good amount of vibrations, shuddering and other times the hose may have moved and I only felt about 50% of the vibrations. Other times yet I noticed nothing at all. But I would say it had some sort of vibrations in the cabin roughly 75% of the time.
Appreciate 1
KANdaddy2505.00
      09-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #38
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It was a weird issue on my previous car. Sometimes it would vibrate, other times it felt like pulsating or shuddering and at other times it wouldn't do it at all. The technician believed the hose was probably moving around from the pumping action of the cooling system and from the normal temperature cycles of the car. So sometimes the hose was right up against the chassis causing a good amount of vibrations, shuddering and other times the hose may have moved and I only felt about 50% of the vibrations. Other times yet I noticed nothing at all. But I would say it had some sort of vibrations in the cabin roughly 75% of the time.
Wow, this is really spot on what I am experiencing. Finger crossed they will A) take my suggestion seriously enough to look into this potential cause and B) discover that is in fact the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #39
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Wow, this is really spot on what I am experiencing. Finger crossed they will A) take my suggestion seriously enough to look into this potential cause and B) discover that is in fact the problem.
Here's an example of an X1 with the same exact issue I had.

Appreciate 3
M4Tejas798.50
KANdaddy2505.00
M2Life1.50
      09-11-2022, 12:45 AM   #40
Tag
this is the way
Rep

KANdaddy look what I found. I can't download the attachment referenced in the doc which should better describe the problem and how to resolve it, but it looks like this is the issue you're describing. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tag; 09-11-2022 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #41
JoNaH
Captain
Rep

Really interested to see if the engine mounts solve this. I'm having a similar issue and want to see what resolves yours so when I go in I can show them this instead of them messing around for 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 09:42 PM   #42
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
KANdaddy look what I found. I can't download the attachment referenced in the doc which should better describe the problem and how to resolve it, but it looks like this is the issue you're describing. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot, bro! I will forward this to my SA. Hopefully he/they will consider looking into it. I really appreciate your investigative help on this. If BMW techs took half the time looking into things as you have, maybe I wouldn't be staring at week 3 of no M3.

Quote:
Really interested to see if the engine mounts solve this. I'm having a similar issue and want to see what resolves yours so when I go in I can show them this instead of them messing around for 2 weeks.
I will definitely be updating everyone here. Hopefully when the time comes, your techs will be open to looking into whatever is found with my car as a starting point.

Last edited by KANdaddy; 09-11-2022 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
MassComp2123.50
JoNaH279.00
      09-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #43
sds
Rep
Drives: BRZ

Does the G80 have active engine mounts?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 11:10 AM   #44
JoNaH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks a lot, bro! I will forward this to my SA. Hopefully he/they will consider looking into it. I really appreciate your investigative help on this. If BMW techs took half the time looking into things as you have, maybe I wouldn't be staring at week 3 of no M3.

Quote:
I will definitely be updating everyone here. Hopefully when the time comes, your techs will be open to looking into whatever is found with my car as a starting point.
I hope they are more open minded than the people you are dealing with. 3 weeks without ur m3 is ridiculous! Hope u get ur car back asap, thanks for keeping us updated.
Appreciate 0