BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
rogurat
Rogue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Comp

Break-in Period Maintenance

Q: I'll be driving the car from AB, Canada to Missouri, US a day or so after I pick it up. I live there currently.

Is driving the additional amount of miles after surpassing the (1300 miles?*) break in period an issue when bypassing the first scheduled appointment? Just wanting to make sure I take care of the car best I can. Also wondering what happens at those appointments? I assume flush & just complete check of health?

The journey is 1800miles / 2800 kms. But you could assume anywhere in a ~300 mile buffer upwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Missing or excessively exceeding the break-in service used to void the warranty. I imagine it still does. I'd recommend picking a dealer somewhere along the route and getting it done during your trip. Or just delaying the trip until you can put enough miles on to get it done.

I'm also going to be driving my car home from my purchase dealer a few hundred miles. Make sure to vary your speed (don't sit for too long at the same speed on the highway), no kick downs, and there's a much lower rev limit for break in period. 5K or so in my F82 manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
Dzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp. xDrive

Had the same kind of problem. I should go abroad just right after the delivery date. My salesman told me that BMW was picky about this maintenance and would allow 2500 km but not more.
I will pick up my car after the journey.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
rogurat
Rogue
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Missing or excessively exceeding the break-in service used to void the warranty. I imagine it still does. I'd recommend picking a dealer somewhere along the route and getting it done during your trip. Or just delaying the trip until you can put enough miles on to get it done.

I'm also going to be driving my car home from my purchase dealer a few hundred miles. Make sure to vary your speed (don't sit for too long at the same speed on the highway), no kick downs, and there's a much lower rev limit for break in period. 5K or so in my F82 manual.
I can't exactly delay the trip as the amount of work I am taking off for the trip in the first place is borderline too many. However I am not opposed at doing a trip to the dealership along the route. Do you know how long these appointments take? Is it a 1 day thing, or are these 'drop off & come back later' type things.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
Saturatedfat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Mine took about two hours to complete.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
You'll definitely want to get the break-in service done along the way. I've heard about others who did it late which caused warranty issues later on. If you let the dealership know that you are stopping by during a road trip I'm sure they can help accommodate you and get you in and out as quickly as possible with enough advanced notice.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #7
4MULA_1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogurat View Post
Q: I'll be driving the car from AB, Canada to Missouri, US a day or so after I pick it up. I live there currently.

Is driving the additional amount of miles after surpassing the (1300 miles?*) break in period an issue when bypassing the first scheduled appointment? Just wanting to make sure I take care of the car best I can. Also wondering what happens at those appointments? I assume flush & just complete check of health?

The journey is 1800miles / 2800 kms. But you could assume anywhere in a ~300 mile buffer upwards.
I'd definitely find a place to do the service along the way. My brother was recently looking at an F80, and the previous owner had missed the break-in service and got it done at around 2,400 miles. The dealer told him that the vehicle would not be eligible for an extended warranty once the original/new car warranty was up.

Even if you're not planning on keeping the car, it might hurt your resell value in the future. I understand it wouldn't matter if it's a lease because it wouldn't be your problem later on, however I'd still try to do right by the next owner even if they might never know about this little detail.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
rogurat
Rogue
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MULA_1 View Post
I'd definitely find a place to do the service along the way. My brother was recently looking at an F80, and the previous owner had missed the break-in service and got it done at around 2,400 miles. The dealer told him that the vehicle would not be eligible for an extended warranty once the original/new car warranty was up.

Even if you're not planning on keeping the car, it might hurt your resell value in the future. I understand it wouldn't matter if it's a lease because it wouldn't be your problem later on, however I'd still try to do right by the next owner even if they might never know about this little detail.
This car will be taken care of to the best ability possible, so I will absolutely be figuring out the best dealership to stop at. Maybe Sioux Falls SD
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #9
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is the border open between US and Canada?

Might not be the quickest route, but Motorwerks BMW in the Minneapolis metro is a good option for doing the service. They're large dealership so should have plenty of availability.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
rogurat
Rogue
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Is the border open between US and Canada?

Might not be the quickest route, but Motorwerks BMW in the Minneapolis metro is a good option for doing the service. They're large dealership so should have plenty of availability.
It is for me and my Visa, that Minneapolis idea may not be bad, it's not really a large change of direction / speed. It still ends up being a decent mileage (1180) from Calgary (and I'd have an additional 200-300) to get to Cal from Edm.

I'll have to talk to my dealership regarding the warranty, I'll probably be hovering just over by a few or a hundred some miles if I plan it best I can.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #11
siberius
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i

is car any stronger after break in or only launch control available.
Appreciate 0