home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums UK

04-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

G80 RWD Wet traction in the UK?

Hey all. been reading this forum for awhile pondering over the new G80 M3. So, today I have taken it for a test drive to see if the RWD would win me over, and it did. I have an M140i right now and swore not to get another RWD. After reading and watching the reviews I thought it was worth test driving it. I instantly fell in love with the look of it in real life! Went for a spirited drive for a short while and enjoyed it. It was the feel of RWD why I bought the M140i (rather than Golf R, RS3, etc.), but we got stuck on a slight incline on grass once, and it kind of put me off (along with traction in the wet).

Here is the thing. BMW have offered me a very good deal. I was expecting to have to pay off my PCP (1.5 years left), so I thought I could handle paying off a year to get the M3, but 1.5 years a bit overkill! But, today they said they will basically wipe out the finance if I take the M3. So a question for the UK peeps of the forum. If you anyone has there's already. How is the traction in the wet? I was kind of hoping today would be wet (so much so, I booked another drive for Wednesday). The traction in the dry is very good.

I will be getting this car. Just seeing if I can get it now with RWD instead of AWD a lot earlier than expected. I have kind of shot myself in the foot so looking by telling the OH I'll be getting AWD next, but after driving this M3 I am not so sure again (I do much prefer the drive of RWD). Any pre made excuses I can use?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
9153mark
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 f31 Xdrive Touring

Just say it's so much improved it's a must buy, it's the truth. I've come out of Xdrive (330) and gone rwd.
Just my preference.
Have dailied Astons for many years too (NE UK) so kind of know how to get a rwd anywhere in anything weather wise.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:26 AM   #3
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Thanks 9153Mark.
I have booked another test drive with the SO tomorrow!

Will see what she thinks :-)

Ive only done 13k in the m140i in 2 years (mainly due to covid) but would lvoe to take the m3 on the scotland 500 / wales 350 etc.

Dam its like being a kid at christmas again haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
taitam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 X-Drive 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkeygolbin View Post
Thanks 9153Mark.
I have booked another test drive with the SO tomorrow!

Will see what she thinks :-)

Ive only done 13k in the m140i in 2 years (mainly due to covid) but would lvoe to take the m3 on the scotland 500 / wales 350 etc.

Dam its like being a kid at christmas again haha.
I had a test drive on Monday in the M4 and took my good lady with me. She found the car much more comfortable than my F82. It had the carbon fibre seats and although we both found them to be a pain to get into and out of, they were comfortable once we were in the car. Maybe it was me, but I felt you sat a lot lower in the car than my M4. Didn't help getting out of the car!

The ride and grip were excellent, although with my "passenger" I had to behave so I couldn't try too much. Overall, I really liked the car. I probably would pass on the carbon seats and I thought there were way too many buttons - it did feel like a plane cockpit! Getting back in my F82 it did feel a little dated. Overall, great car, definitely a more mature version that will not suit everyone, but still too expensive.

I feel I will now wait until the X-drive version comes out. Not because I want one, but hoping it will increase the discounting that just seems to be ramping up at the moment.

G 82 M4 X-Drive Aventurine Red III
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 02:45 AM   #5
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I borrowed a G82 for the morning yesterday. Absolutely torrential conditions and I had concerns after the old car. Needn’t have worried, the grip levels are incredible and although things can get twitchy if you drive like a prat, with sensible behaviour it felt very secure. I’d still go xDrive tho I think....

Agree with above on the carbon seats. Form over function. They look great but they’re too hard and a pain to get in and out of.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
9153mark
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 f31 Xdrive Touring

Had my g80 a wee bit and drove through torrential rain today, no issues at all. Popped everything in to efficient / comfort and just like driving any car in floodlike conditions.

Also, happy to report the standard seats are excellent. Amazing all round adjustability. I fit in the CF seats fine but knew the inevitable wear n tear would bother me, using as a daily they'd be a challenge to get in / out of 4 or 5 times a day, STD are perfect unless tracking regularly (which I'm not).
Appreciate 2
stvward133.00
Sbm007612.50
      12-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #7
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Ive had my new M3 little over a month now and have so far managed to avoid rain. Working 100% from home gives me that option!

Nothing to do with traction issues ive no issues there but its to do with keeping it clean! Lol

But on the traction note im v impressed so far. Its my first M car and its a bloody marvel! Mines the RWD version but its pretty ruddy good on the grip front. I could do with having a play when it next rains hard!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 03:41 AM   #8
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
I have a M3 xDrive and yesterday was brave enough last night to switch DSC fully off and enable RWD only mode with the M Traction Control setting set to 10 (engine Sport Plus and S3 transmission)

First impressions: the traction control is excellent and at setting 10 it kicks in very early to avoid me embarrassing myself.

I tried planting my foot down around 20 mph 2nd gear and sure enough rear tyres started spinning and the traction kicked in. It was soaking wet at the time. I don't mean to sound biased but the power genuinely was not usable in those conditions.

I then switched to 4WD Sport (MDM mode, I normally drive in this setting) and I could easily floor it and the car had no problems laying that power down on the road (again engine Sport Plus and S3 transmission).

I guess it is an obvious conclusion, RWD = never as good in wet as 4WD.

I have no doubt the RWD is mega in less wet/semi-dry conditions
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)

Last edited by Sbm007; 12-15-2021 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Siren_G17.50
      12-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #9
DimM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

I think the fact that the x-drive can switch to rwd if you want to , makes the x-drive a non brainer imo .
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #10
David Jackson
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

As a RWD G80 owner for 3 months, had absolutely no issues in the wet, the grip is fantastic. But then its my 'pride and joy' and I'm never going to push it to the limit. I think the decision to buy AWD or RWD drive is down to personal choice, if I were going to put it on a track and were to be continually be driving it very very enthusiastically then AWD. AWD has to be better in the wet for sure. But having said that, just driving the car like most M3 drivers, well within its limits RWD and Particularly the G80 is more than adequate, the grip is superb. The extra cost to one side the other consideration is the additional weight of the extra drive chain. AWD will always be faster 0-60 in the wet or dry but I believe the RWD on a rolling start is faster. At the end of the day its just a question of choice.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ661.50
      01-08-2022, 06:05 AM   #11
Yun350
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 525d mpsort

I've had mine for just over 2 months and live in sunny Glasgow, but the traction has been hit and miss in the rain, in efficiency/comfort it is absolutely fine not many problems if I can recall driving in that mode with heavy rain, sport is ok but sometimes you will experience a slight traction issue but I would blame that down to the P Zeros they are not great in the wet, I had PS4's on my F80 and they are night and day compared to the P Zeros but I will try run these down and replace them with PS4's as I feel they will be a massive improvement over the P Zeros
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ661.50
      01-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #12
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

As Ive said above ive had no traction issues at all whilst on the move.

Only the odd moment when pulling out from uphill junction whilst in Sportplus after it had pee'd it down but that ls to be expected and kinda fun!

I dont buy the weight argument of xdrive. Its minimal as has been proven in many YT vids incl Joe Achiles latest RWD V AWD vid. Seems RWD does start to pull the AWD back in but only at unrealistic speeds 115mph+

For total peace of mind go with Xdrive.

RWD is giving me everything I need and way more. I love the thing and I cant stop looking at it either! Lol

In truth though. Unless its a budget thing or your as impatient as me I dont know why anyone (else) would buy a new RWD only and especially after all the positive YT Xdrive reviews outhere.

I purchased my RWD because I got a great deal and a fabulous spec motor in the exact colours i wanted with every bit of performance I'll ever need and most crucially it was available immediately!

Last edited by Sunnystone; 01-15-2022 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #13
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

When you say they're writing off your 1.5 years PCP what do you mean exactly? They're just taking back the car and going to sell it for more than you owe I would Imagine? I can't imagine they're doing you a massive favour in reality given the car shortages and second hand prices.

What are the actual economics of the deal?

Economics aside, I have the RWD and it's great. AWD is a nice option. There are no traction issues with the RWD unless your looking for trouble.

I like the RWD dynamics, always have! I always thought the 4WD Audi's and Subaru's etc were a bit boring back in the day but this new X-Drive does seem like it's next gen. Has to inspire a lot of confidence in bad weather
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00