BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #353
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

What color is this that Rory is driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #354
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
Couldn't agree more!

The car is very aggressive, has that menacing front look with little alpha romeo design vibe to it, and the back is so good and wide with the bulked feel to it, and it is giving me that emotional vibe that I had the first time I saw the e46 M3.
The car has so much road presence!

Only thing I don't like from the aesthetic point of view is the ride height and few minor design details.
Looks pretty good in black. Only color I think it looks decent in.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #355
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Goddamn it, if this car is growing on me, fast! Even that damn front grille. I can't believe it's happening so fast since I was firmly in the "no-way-with-that-laughably-large front grille" as soon as I saw it in pix, especially after seeing the 340i. But the aggressive hood and wider body of the M's are actually pulling off the grille.

And I firmly believe we will soon see some aftermarket options to tone down the grille.

And those seats are just delish.

Hec, I guess it's time for me to start a build. LOL
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #356
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
What color is this that Rory is driving?
Brooklyn
      03-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #357
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesThrottle View Post
James from Throttle House here. The cars were all on Pilot Alpins. Temps during this race were around -2 celsius so it actually massively helped with traction.

The full review from a few days ago was filmed in the positive temperatures on PS4Ss in the afternoon of the same day. We did everything we did to make sure the drag race was fair, and that the handling critiques on track could be accurate. Wasn't cheap, but we don't wanna do wrong by you guys.
Thanks JamesThrottle ... please excuse ... as usual forummers who have ordered the G8X or are planning to order one are butt-hurt with anything negative (even if true and accurate) on the G8X ... using the AWD as the pain-killer relief for their butts
      03-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #358
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
Couldn't agree more!

The car is very aggressive, has that menacing front look with little alpha romeo design vibe to it, and the back is so good and wide with the bulked feel to it, and it is giving me that emotional vibe that I had the first time I saw the e46 M3.
The car has so much road presence!

Only thing I don't like from the aesthetic point of view is the ride height and few minor design details.
These views do indeed look quite good because they hide the grille and rear three quarters.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #359
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
I think they were shooting for something unique that got people talking and aligned with the styling of their i4 car (no such thing as bad press as they say) and they accomplished that goal. I'd assume the f80 owners that are not into the G80 look will more than likely be holding onto their f80s a little longer until they purchase some other M car whether it be a 2 or a 5...I just don't see those people switching to the likes of the 4 cylinder c63 or the infamously understeering audi rs5 but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong lol theyre probably gonna see more sales from the folks that are looking for a more aggressive looking sedan and retain almost all of their own buyers that aren't interested in the G8X anyway. As someone relatively new to the bmw game since I finally have money saved for once �� my general feeling is being tired of the audis and the teslas and the mercedes where every model looks more or less the same...not to mention 911s have looked very similar for decades. It was a bold divisive decision but I think it differentiates the car well. It doesn't have that traditional elegance but it looks mean and athletic and it's really the only car in bmws lineup like that.
It was not about Audi or Mercedes and abviously not about that electric train -terrible fit and finish- Tesla..
I “M” a BMW guy at heart believe me.
Just last month I bought two new BMWs.
But for the first time I passed the M and bought an Individual M340i as I rather loose some technical attributes than buy I car I can’t look at...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #360
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Just for reference, two of the reviewers that picked the Giulia QV over the G80 M3 had also picked the Giulia QV over the F80 M3

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
Jcali861479.00
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      03-11-2021, 10:41 PM   #361
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Thanks JamesThrottle ... please excuse ... as usual forummers who have ordered the G8X or are planning to order one are butt-hurt with anything negative (even if true and accurate) on the G8X ... using the AWD as the pain-killer relief for their butts
Cool story bro.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:58 PM   #362
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Just for reference, two of the reviewers that picked the Giulia QV over the G80 M3 had also picked the Giulia QV over the F80 M3

Lol they gonna be real quiet on this one.
      03-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #363
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesThrottle View Post
James from Throttle House here. The cars were all on Pilot Alpins. Temps during this race were around -2 celsius so it actually massively helped with traction.

The full review from a few days ago was filmed in the positive temperatures on PS4Ss in the afternoon of the same day. We did everything we did to make sure the drag race was fair, and that the handling critiques on track could be accurate. Wasn't cheap, but we don't wanna do wrong by you guys.
my fav cdn youtubers!

I might've heard a bit of wheelspin when Thomas launched the M4, did that actually happen or was that the C63 spinning the tires lol?

I rmb from you guys' recent videos you got a dragy, were you able to get any times from the car during this shoot and dont mind sharing with rest of us ?
      03-12-2021, 02:17 AM   #364
ringo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Except if you watch both reviews, you can see that this time the M3 has lost for all the wrong reasons imo. Meaning whereas the F80 was deemed a bit too serious, a bit too firm and less able to entertain you without demanding your full attention (fine for many M-owners and in fact a part of its appeal), the G80 takes the opposite approach of being dialed back, less aggressive, less intimidating, ultimately less special and (I reckon) more easily forgettable. Despite not being perfect, the F80 was at least full of M-character and there weren't really any other cars to choose from if that's what you were after. The G80 has traded part of that to appeal to a broader, non-M audience, different things.

Besides, if it still can't beat the Giulia you might just as well stick with the better looking car than having to walk up to that thing every morning right?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:15 AM   #365
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

What do people mean with "not beating the Giulia" ?

This is a subjective choice from the reviewer.
The Giulia is a great car no doubt, but the G8x is better in every aspect (not talking about aestethics).

Smash de Giulia for more than 2 laps around a Track and everything is overheating, I don't think the BMW will have this issue.
Tech is older, interior, sorry there is no discussion, BMW is galaxies far in front of Alfa.

Again:
I love Alfa and I have also emotional background to it, but objectively the BMW is better.
Someone who chooses Alfa is someone who decides with emotions, because it gives a lot of it. This was also the case before the G80 with the F80....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:46 AM   #366
nublu2u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS

Autocar are getting confused, they've just put a story up saying the G80 is the best M3 since the E46.

What is clear to me is that this version of the M3/ M4 is receiving far better reviews than the F80 or E92, with maybe only common concern being the ZF 8AT not quite being in character for the car.

For me the looks are still a problem (and the size), but BMW have delivered a great car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:06 AM   #367
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post

The Giulia is a great car no doubt, but the G8x is better in every aspect (not talking about aestethics).

Smash de Giulia for more than 2 laps around a Track and everything is overheating, I don't think the BMW will have this issue.
Tech is older, interior, sorry there is no discussion, BMW is galaxies far in front of Alfa.

Again:
I love Alfa and I have also emotional background to it, but objectively the BMW is better.
Someone who chooses Alfa is someone who decides with emotions, because it gives a lot of it. This was also the case before the G80 with the F80....
+1

I admit that the Giulia Q was the only other contender when I decided to buy my M2C in 2019, it was a GREAT car with magnificent handling but... something was still missing in the rational part, as a car and not as an object of passion. Interior design, quality, on-board technology, dynamic driving configurations, reliability, depreciation. It is by far the best sports sedan I've ever driven and I'm sure it's still superior to the G80 in term of pure dynamics (that steering...), but as a car it was way behind the F80, and now with the G80 it's even more dated. When you have to open your wallet you have to consider everything, and the uncertainty of Alfa's future does not help.
There's no doubt I made a better choice with the F87, I've never regretted my choice, but I still admire the Giulia Q when I see one on the street.
I would never, ever spend my money on the Giulia, but if I had to choose between the two as a gift maybe it would be my choice (and I'd keep my savings for a GT4 for the weekends ).

Alfa: heart
Bmw: brain
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1511.50
      03-12-2021, 04:44 AM   #368
ringo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition DCT

Quote:

Again:
I agree and I would deliberately choose the F80 over the Giulia without denying any of the Alfa's virtues, it was just brought up by someone in the sense of: "doesn't matter if the QV is picked over the G80 because the F80 wasn't picked over the QV either so?", and what I said was that you can't use a 3rd reference to compare the F80 and G80 as the comparisons of those cars vs the Alfa were quite different.

That been said, I fail to see how the G80 will feel better on track with all its gained mass when chasing lap times. I also think part of the attributed grip and compliancy reviewers have been bringing up is due to the PS4S which is a phenomenal performance tire. I've had cars feeling surprisingly more compliant but at the same time much grippier when switching from 18" average performance tires to 19" PS4S which I just couldn't explain. A comparison vs a F80/82 Comp on PS4S as well would paint a clearer pictures on the cars' actual differences. I've also read that PS4S transformed the F80/82 for the better for daily driving and fast road use so I think there's definitely some help from the tire department.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:47 AM   #369
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
+1

I admit that the Giulia Q was the only other contender when I decided to buy my M2C in 2019, it was a GREAT car with magnificent handling but... something was still missing in the rational part, as a car and not as an object of passion. Interior design, quality, on-board technology, dynamic driving configurations, reliability, depreciation. It is by far the best sports sedan I've ever driven and I'm sure it's still superior to the G80 in term of pure dynamics (that steering...), but as a car it was way behind the F80, and now with the G80 it's even more dated. When you have to open your wallet you have to consider everything, and the uncertainty of Alfa's future does not help.
There's no doubt I made a better choice with the F87, I've never regretted my choice, but I still admire the Giulia Q when I see one on the street.
I would never, ever spend my money on the Giulia, but if I had to choose between the two as a gift maybe it would be my choice (and I'd keep my savings for a GT4 for the weekends ).

Alfa: heart
Bmw: brain

You bring it to the point !

And like you say, I think the steering of the Alfa is one of the best ever, absoloutely amazing work done there.
But all the other points, well, you named it.

But I also do love seeing them (I see and hear them daily, some people in our factory drive this )
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2623.00
      03-12-2021, 05:27 AM   #370
veenut28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2, 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
  [0.00]
What color is the M3 in Henry Catchpole's review on carfection? Really like it...Dravit grey?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 05:43 AM   #371
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
You bring it to the point !

And like you say, I think the steering of the Alfa is one of the best ever, absoloutely amazing work done there.
But all the other points, well, you named it.

But I also do love seeing them (I see and hear them daily, some people in our factory drive this )
You work in a damn cool company!
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1511.50
      03-12-2021, 05:45 AM   #372
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
You work in a damn cool company!
I do only had to applicate about 30 times to finally get the job here
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2623.00
      03-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #373
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:

Again:
So reviewer's opinion is subjective ( This is a subjective choice from the reviewer) ... while your opinion is objective (I love Alfa and I have also emotional background to it, but objectively the BMW is better)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 08:20 AM   #374
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
So reviewer's opinion is subjective ( This is a subjective choice from the reviewer) ... while your opinion is objective (I love Alfa and I have also emotional background to it, but objectively the BMW is better)
regarding the tech the BMW is better

*edit*
but I know what you mean

of course mine is also not 100% objectively, but the reviewer says it is an emotional decision why he would take the alfa.

So the BMW is technically not "beaten" by the Alfa. You know what I mean?

Last edited by Scorp!on; 03-12-2021 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0