12-30-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
Car YouTubers ... how the hell did some get so prolific

Hey pals –

I've had this thought rattling around my dome for a while now and i'd love to know what you all think.

There are a number of automotive YouTubers, some are great, some are not, and there are a lot i'm not about to talk about, because i'm going to mention the ones I think are terrible and am completely perplexed by their success.

Doug Demuro – consistency aside, how the fuck did this two loose t-shirt wearing goofball make the same goddamn video about every car under the sun manage to amass the number of subscribers and views as he has? I cannot wrap my mind around it. The biggest quirks and features are his YT metrics.

Hoovie – My only exposure to this guy is from Tavarish's (love him) CarTrek shows and I have to skip through his segments, it pains me.

Ed Bolian & VinWiki – Seems like somebody who grew up flying on a PJ because his parents had money, decided to create a quasi aristrocratic vocal tone while making a social network nobody uses and then a YouTube channel.

On the fence – Rob Ferretti – some stuff (such as the show "Sorted") is really great, but a lot of his solo videos are pretty terrible. I do feel bad his collection got flooded though, sucks.

OK, so this isn't a big rant-fest only, there are a number I really love:
• Jason Cammisa
• Emilia Hartford
• Jon ThicWhips
• Tavarish

So, am i taking crazy pills? Do any of you love these three

Instagram: @TouringM3
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8...LVuZzYvwGewezg
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Can't understand Demuro either. His act is getting old. His voice seems to get higher every video he makes. If you pull up his old stuff years ago, he actually has a lower tone voice.
Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
MaX PL531.50
      12-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Leno and Tyrrell's Classic I learn a lot of new stuff. Harry's garage on his restorations I learn.
Rob Ferretti I find pretty educational whether it's business, or insurance and some car stuff you wouldn't normally find unless your dealing with crash repair or high mileage.

I've tended to drift away from all the other car channels.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
Zircular
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

I discovered Tedward a few months ago and I really dig his channel. Simple, authentic, and the variety of cars that he has access to is insane. If gimmicks irritate you I think he’s well worth a look.
Appreciate 1
erawamai161.50
      12-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
I too cannot understand how Doug DeMuro got this far but from listening to other people who are fans of his, I've learnt that he caters to a wider audience beyond car enthusiasts. He doesn't focus too much on raw specs or performance but rather focuses on "quirks" and features that people can relate to.

The one guy I can't stand is Scotty Kilmer. In a nutshell, he preaches not to buy a BMW/Audi/MB because of poor reliability but instead save your money and buy a 1991 Corolla that will last forever. By that logic, a bus pass is more economical.
Appreciate 8
Almuliman414.50
..Rush..973.50
TouringM3617.00
Humdizzle6024.00
Sedoy675.50
JPM-3219.00
JIMN9NE83.00
540iSUP703.00
      12-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post

Doug Demuro – consistency aside, how the fuck did this two loose t-shirt wearing goofball make the same goddamn video about every car under the sun manage to amass the number of subscribers and views as he has? I cannot wrap my mind around it. The biggest quirks and features are his YT metrics.
The only one I've watched and like out of all of those names is Doug Demuro. Demuro turned a writing career at auto trader, Jalopnik and The Truth About Cars into his YouTube fame. He was already creating content he just started video and documenting his cars he bought and doing reviews. So he already had an audience and people just want content so it makes sense that he grew into what he is. He's probably one of the first doing car review videos on YouTube.

The only people I watch religiously on YouTube:

Farkle0079 - He's got the same wagon as me and he's amazing at explaining the suspension stuff

M539 Restorations - If you like classic BMWs and working on them, this guy has the content for you. Love his projects.

Misha Charoudin - Nurburgring Content

SoundmanCA - Car Audio, sophomoric humor

Non Car Channels -

Red Poppy Ranch - Guy building his homestead for the past 3 years. Built his home and shop by himself. Off Grid. If you want to get motivated to do stuff around the house watch this guy.

Pat McAfee - Sports talk. Never really liked sports talk shows until this guy and his crew came along. Maybe the sophomoric humor.
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!3994.50
      12-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
I Fucken despise that Scotty Kilmer! Someone send him back to the 80s/90s
Appreciate 4
Almuliman414.50
JIMN9NE83.00
chris7197271.50
540iSUP703.00
      12-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #8
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Agree on Demuro – I can't stand his voice (better than it was, granted), and his "Doug Score" is cringeworthy, at least IMO, maybe it has value to some. Having said that, I do occasionally watch his reviews of more esoteric hardware.

M539 Restorations is fantastic. Legit Street Cars is often good too, but other than M539, the only channels I don't miss content from are Savage Geese, Throttle House, and Harry's Garage.

Oh, and Everyday Driver (and their reviews 2nd channel) is often good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
The only one I've watched and like out of all of those names is Doug Demuro. Demuro turned a writing career at auto trader, Jalopnik and The Truth About Cars into his YouTube fame. He was already creating content he just started video and documenting his cars he bought and doing reviews. So he already had an audience and people just want content so it makes sense that he grew into what he is. He's probably one of the first doing car review videos on YouTube.

The only people I watch religiously on YouTube:

Farkle0079 - He's got the same wagon as me and he's amazing at explaining the suspension stuff

M539 Restorations - If you like classic BMWs and working on them, this guy has the content for you. Love his projects.

Misha Charoudin - Nurburgring Content

[...]
Appreciate 2
rmanm4870.50
      12-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #9
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
I Fucken despise that Scotty Kilmer! Someone send him back to the 80s/90s
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Not familiar w the rest of those guys but Doug is indeed quirky but I just watch to get some general overview knowledge of interesting cars. Ironically, he sometimes misses pointing out some (obvious) quirks of certain cars. That's all you need from that guy. You're definitely not watching him for his driving prowess or specifics about the car, much like asking Hulk Hogan what kind of makeup you should buy haha.

I think Harry's Garage is one of the few I respect, along w SavageGeese. The rest are kinda indistinguishable in their fluff.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI688.50
540iSUP703.00
      12-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #11
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Not familiar w the rest of those guys but Doug is indeed quirky but I just watch to get some general overview knowledge of interesting cars. Ironically, he sometimes misses pointing out some (obvious) quirks of certain cars. That's all you need from that guy. You're definitely not watching him for his driving prowess or specifics about the car, much like asking Hulk Hogan what kind of makeup you should buy haha.

I think Harry's Garage is one of the few I respect, along w SavageGeese. The rest are kinda indistinguishable in their fluff.
Agree, love Harry’s Garage and Savage Geese. Plus throttle house, some good old Canadian guys who made it big.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI688.50
540iSUP703.00
      12-30-2021, 02:14 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Agree, love Harry’s Garage and Savage Geese. Plus throttle house, some good old Canadian guys who made it big.
Ya, Throttle House is good (esp since Canadian) but if I remember them correctly their 'supercar test pass/fail' is SO LAME-O. Ugh!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      12-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #13
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

couple reasons, but the guys who do well on youtube aren't the ones putting out the best content. its the ones who consistently put out new videos and new content to feed the adhd generation.

lots of adults have lame desk jobs and need something to pass the time. same with kids after coming home from school, riding the bus, people driving home from work.

the successful guys like doug, shmee, jww... all put out new content or fly to some country nearly every day. some of these guys come from money and figured out they can make more money by constantly flipping cars or showing off their friends collections (jww and manny khoshbin for instance). since they know high end people they get exclusive tours of garages or first looks at certain cars. being first in the business is huge.

youtube viewers don't want guys who buy 1 car and then just keep it for a year. they want something new every week. this is true for any genre of youtube weather its cats, gaming, etc. people want a regular feed of content and new stuff.

youtube can also be pretty lucrative for tax write offs. "oh yeah the cars i bought are part of my business so i'm writing them off".
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
540iSUP703.00
      12-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #14
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Shmee and Supercarblondie are hands down some of the most annoying and could easily shut down their feeds and do the auto world a service. The list though could be very long on this topic.
Appreciate 8
Almuliman414.50
MaX PL531.50
P111541.50
jmg18493.00
ai38868.50
jacbo78.50
      12-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
Shmee and Supercarblondie are hands down some of the most annoying and could easily shut down their feeds and do the auto world a service. The list though could be very long on this topic.
Oh, I hate to be a downer too but I agree somewhat. That Shmee and his extra-long gyrating "Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers" at the end, what is up w that? Can it get more annoying?! He pretty much comes from money but he makes up some nonsense about him working in some shops, starting unknown businesses and flipping cars for profit (what?! LOL) were the reasons for his wealth. O....k.....

Supercarblondie isn't annoying but she obviously painfully didn't (still doesn't?) know too much about cars. Good for her using her pretty face to make something of herself though.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #16
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Autogefuehl is very good - very thorough reviews and ze proper German accent certainly adds to the experience. Carwow - mixed bag, some good reviews but mostly entertainment a la drag races. Can’t stand Redline Reviews - that Sofyan guy has no idea what he is talking about. Alex on Autos is much better. Straight Pipes - very unnerving to watch, same jokes and rituals over and over again, including that bizarre simultaneous unhinging of the sun visors (what’s that all about?).
Appreciate 4
________4157.00
Almuliman414.50
erawamai161.50
      12-30-2021, 02:53 PM   #17
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Wish I could answer your question, I've had the same. But I only listen to Jason Cammisa and Joe Rogan.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #18
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Honestly I don't care for any of the "big" car youtubers - as it relates to BMWs, very, very few know anything more than whatever tear-sheet they use tells them about the car. "Reviews" are nearly always filled with inaccuracies and parroting stupid/generic talking points. Not to mention that social media is now one of the de-facto marketing channels for big business (very much so for auto-manufacturers). The one channel I think is a bit better than the rest is SavageGeese although they sometimes fall victim to the aforementioned pitfalls.

I'm more interested in watching guys who are getting down and dirty with their cars and sharing their technical learnings. Some channels I've liked:

Tommy L Garage is an awesome DIY resource for a lot of common mods
FaRKle! has some really awesome suspension/brakes/kinematics related content for the platform
BluesCluesM3 (don't know his @) - turned his F80 into a track tool, awesome series of videos to reference how that is achieved on the platform plus lots of great track videos
FaRKle!3994.50
540iSUP703.00
      12-30-2021, 04:01 PM   #19
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
Agree, although Shmee is quite pleasant when he's not doing his own content, for example on Misha Charoudin's channel.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 04:26 PM   #20
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Interestingly I just discovered Jason Camisa just a few months ago. I know he was MotorTrend at one time. Some of his comedy bits can get a little unwieldy but his car selection on the Hagerty series has been spot on.

I will be the lone apologist for Doug Demuro, his act is a bit hard to swallow but he does a pretty good job scoring his cars consistently and has a good nose for poor design elements.

Other than that, I'm usually on the WEC, IMSA GTworld or ADAC channels.
      12-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #21
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Agree, love Harry's Garage and Savage Geese. Plus throttle house, some good old Canadian guys who made it big.
Ya, Throttle House is good (esp since Canadian) but if I remember them correctly their 'supercar test pass/fail' is SO LAME-O. Ugh!
You're thinking of the other Canadians, TheStraightPipes with Yuri and Jacob, they are super annoying. Throttle House is great, humor and actual driving impressions (and track drives) while StraightPipes is just tangents on Sirus XM and visors and using words like "great" and "soooo good" to describe how a car drives.
Foggins1331.50
jmack548.50
      12-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #22
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Autogefuehl is very good - very thorough reviews and ze proper German accent certainly adds to the experience. Carwow - mixed bag, some good reviews but mostly entertainment a la drag races. Can’t stand Redline Reviews - that Sofyan guy has no idea what he is talking about. Alex on Autos is much better. Straight Pipes - very unnerving to watch, same jokes and rituals over and over again, including that bizarre simultaneous unhinging of the sun visors (what’s that all about?).
Ya, Autogefuehl hasn't popped up in my feed for ages but Thomas is the man! I'd say he's a better-informed, more professional and thorough Doug Demuro

Ah, Straight Pipes...I always mix them up w Throttle House. It's the former who has that stupid 'supercar test', not the latter. Sorry, Throttle House haha.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
AlexFL7833.00