BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #45
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I guess my issue is the turn that BMW have taken. I bought my e91 because it's a great driver's car (and practical). It's well engineered and has clean looks.

Nowadays to get that from a new car I need to buy a Hyundai! WTF is going on?

That would all be understandable if BMW were just targeting the mass market who just want a plush car to look good/successful in (which I'm sure they are, because ££$€), but then they come out with this unconventional, divisive design!? It makes no sense. It's not just ugly (in the eyes of many), but out of keeping with BMW's heritage. Again, that's fine if that's what they want to do, but they have the audacity to dismiss all critics and tell everyone that their opinion is wrong... It's hard to swallow.
Well...

I had a E91 325xi next to my F82 as my dog car. The front on the pre facelift is far a way from being pretty, same counts for my E92 335i. The interior peeling was not acceptable. The interior of my current E46 Wagon is higher quality as my E91.

I do not like Apple products for some reason, however I would never sign up in a Apple forum and trash the design. So many other great products on the market to pull the trigger.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #46
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

"I do not like Apple products for some reason, however I would never sign up in a Apple forum and trash the design. So many other great products on the market to pull the trigger."

What is your point?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #47
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
"I do not like Apple products for some reason, however I would never sign up in a Apple forum and trash the design. So many other great products on the market to pull the trigger."

What is your point?
Stop trashing BMW in a BMW forum and move on.

If you don't like it get a P Car as mentioned in every second post.

The G8x is too expensive, too heavy, too ugly... Just get another brand and let people enjoy their cars. Plenty of other people like the G8x.

So much hate these days... crazy!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #48
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

But no matter what he says, in the end ugly is ugly...

And that giant flat protruding bucktooth grille is UGLY, out of place, and ruins the rest of the lines/design of the car.

You know it’s bad when they’re doubling down on it and having to keep explaining it. Great design esthetics need no explanation.
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      03-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #49
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Stop trashing BMW in a BMW forum and move on.
If you don't like it get a P Car as mentioned in every second post.
The G8x is too expensive, too heavy, too ugly... Just get another brand and let people enjoy their cars. Plenty of other people like the G8x.
So much hate these days... crazy!
About the infamous Roman emperor Nero:
"In 67 AD Nero participated in the Olympics. He had bribed organizers to postpone the games for a year so he could participate, and artistic competitions were added to the athletic events. Nero won every contest in which he was a competitor. During the games Nero sang and played his lyre on stage, acted in tragedies and raced chariots. He won a 10-horse chariot race, despite being thrown from the chariot and leaving the race. He was crowned on the basis that he would have won if he had completed the race. After he died a year later, his name was removed from the list of winners."
Looks like Nero couldn't quite handle criticism and seems to have been oblivious of reality.

If you'd like Bimmerpost to adopt a Nero attitude, let us know.
      03-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #50
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

It's not like joining an Apple forum to trash Apple, more like being an Apple fan for decades and then they decide to make a laptop with a 4-inch bezel around the screen and you get annoyed that the engineers tell you that you just need better eyes and you'd be able to see it just fine.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
OG///M1002.00
jmack548.50
epic131.50
      03-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #51
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
It's not like joining an Apple forum to trash Apple, more like being an Apple fan for decades and then they decide to make a laptop with a 4-inch bezel around the screen and you get annoyed that the engineers tell you that you just need better eyes and you'd be able to see it just fine.
Exactly!
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      03-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #52
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Well, Nokia isn't really around anymore because they didn't want the change.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #53
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
Nokia is the biggest (non-Chinese) 5G deployer in the world. They are very much still around.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
Vivek.1363.50
      03-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #54
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

They're still there though, doing their thing. They've stuck to what they know and are good at, rather than following suit or making radical changes to their products.

I'm glad you like the new BMW design, but please don't go telling everyone else here that our opinion is wrong.

I prefer the look of my pre-lci e91, over the LCI. Unpopular opinion, but there we are. I'm not going to tell anyone who prefers the LCI that they're wrong and it's a terrible design.
Appreciate 3
Vivek.1363.50
stein_325i25051.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #55
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Nokia is the biggest (non-Chinese) 5G deployer in the world. They are very much still around.
Nokia was benchmark in cell phones for years but they missed to implement the touch screen. Every brand have and will change over the years to adjust customer needs.

If there is a demand on ugly FWD cars, BMW will build them. As any other company they have the same goal to make more money every year.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #56
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

The fact that BMW had to pay for an interview defending their design to be advertised speaks volumes in my opinion.

Regardless of sales, the entire marketing of this generation has been abysmal, and the designers attitude and opinions reflects that. Just let the cars sell, and take the criticism (whether good or bad) and improve upon it, the stubbornness is not a good look on BMW. The best strategy is to always listen and to adhere to customers, not to tell them that their opinion is wrong or that they shouldn't feel a certain way. Customers will choose how they feel (positive or negative), regardless of what Dukec and Hooydonk think and tell them they should be doing.

Last edited by stein_325i; 03-11-2021 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
MmmmmM22578.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #57
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
See here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Quote:
If you’ve been anywhere near social media in the past year, you’ll know that BMW’s design has weathered a fair old storm. In the words of Adrian van Hooydonk, senior vice-president of group design at the Bavarian firm, “it can be brutal”.
But if you think that’s a hint that van Hooydonk and head of BMW design Domagoj Dukec are about to change their ways, think again. The kidney grille is here to stay.
The reasoning is simple: van Hooydonk and Dukec want BMW to stand out, so they’re happy to make it the distinguishing feature. They rationalise it by pointing out that it’s part of BMW’s past, so it will remain part of the future.
[...]
Van Hooydonk acknowledges that none of this has been easy for the aficionados. “If you have fans, it’s fantastic. You have people who don’t just buy your products, they love what you do. For them, it’s an emotional thing. Of course, if they love what you do, the minute you’re going to change it, they might have an issue with that. It comes with the territory,” he says. “Our job isn’t so easy. We have to debate how much change would be enough because we’re living in a world where there are constant new players coming in. If we don’t move, we become a sitting duck for all our competitors. [The balance is] to move enough so that the company thrives but not move so much that you lose contact with your fan base altogether."
Suggestion: let them give Porsche a ring to ask why the 996 headlights design (aka 'fried egg' design) was not used again on subsequent 911 iterations (997, 991 and 992).

03-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #58
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
See here:
Did I ever mentioned I like the 996?

Do you remember how much hate the first Boxster got?

I still remember all the hardcore 911 fanboys crying...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #59
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
They're still there though, doing their thing. They've stuck to what they know and are good at, rather than following suit or making radical changes to their products.

I'm glad you like the new BMW design, but please don't go telling everyone else here that our opinion is wrong.

I prefer the look of my pre-lci e91, over the LCI. Unpopular opinion, but there we are. I'm not going to tell anyone who prefers the LCI that they're wrong and it's a terrible design.

Wait...is it not what you guy's do? Beating a dead horse over and over again about the front?

The press reviews are awesome but haters still gonna hate...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #60
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

What is your point?
he has no point and it's hilarious seeing them repeatedly bring up this comparison, without realizing that it's not even remotely the same thing.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1363.50
jmack548.50
      03-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #61
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
The fact that BMW had to pay for an interview defending their design to be advertised speaks volumes in my opinion.

Regardless of sales, the entire marketing of this generation has been abysmal, and the designers attitude and opinions reflects that. Just let the cars sell, and take the criticism (whether good or bad) and improve upon it, the stubbornness is not a good look on BMW. The best strategy is to always listen and to adhere to customers, not to tell them that their opinion is wrong or that they shouldn't feel a certain way. Customers will choose how they feel (positive or negative), regardless of what Dukec and Hooydonk think and tell them they should be doing.
100% agree.

I want to re-emphasize that the most disturbing thing here is not the hideousness and disfigurement of the front grill or the design as a whole, it's the new leadership culture at BMW. They accept and encourage denigration, criticism, and moking of various groups of people. This is really disturbing. Dukec and his crew are literally the textbook definition of narcissism and given his background, comments, and behavior, I have no doubt that he harbors bigoted views. That is the reason why I will absolutely, positively boycott any of his designs and vehicles.
Appreciate 3
Vivek.1363.50
jmack548.50
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #62
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Guys... Seriously...

It's like complaining about Windows 7 vs. Windows 10, we all got use to it, some people switched to Apple.

All this negativity and hate because of some frontend...lol

Love it or hate it, fine with me... I have more important things in my life going on and couldn't care less how big the grill on my new car is.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #63
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Guys... Seriously...

It's like complaining about Windows 7 vs. Windows 10, we all got use to it, some people switched to Apple.

All this negativity and hate because of some frontend...lol

Love it or hate it, fine with me... I have more important things in my life going on and couldn't care less how big the grill on my new car is.
You're still missing the point. The negativity and hate came from BMW and Dukec. We are standing up and responding. You're getting mad at this community for not being sheep yet you're proud of not being a sheep yourself and refusing to conform to Apple. Ironic.

In either case, you're buying a car that's ugly on the outside made by a designer whose ugly on the inside. To each his own I guess.
Appreciate 2
OG///M1002.00
jmack548.50
      03-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #64
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
You're still missing the point. The negativity and hate came from BMW and Dukec. We are standing up and responding. You're getting mad at this community for not being sheep yet you're proud of not being a sheep yourself and refusing to conform to Apple. Ironic.

In either case, you're buying a car that's ugly on the outside made by a designer whose ugly on the inside. To each his own I guess.
That's your opinion and I don't care!

I'm not getting mad at anyone about a car, it's just a car for me.

I'm not buying my car to impress anyone, would be super boring if we all had the same car in the driveway.

Nothing to do being a sheep but I won't tell everyone how much I dislike Apple. I just don't buy their products but wouldn't trash the company or their employees at all.

Last edited by LOW4LYF; 03-11-2021 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:29 PM   #65
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
That's your opinion and I don't care!

I'm not getting mad at anyone about a car, it's just a car for me.

I'm not buying my car to impress anyone, would be super boring if we all had the same car in the driveway.

Nothing to do being a sheep but I won't tell everyone how much I dislike Apple. I just don't buy their products but wouldn't trash the company or their employees at all.
You are telling us to be sheep because you're saying that we shouldn't be posting anything bad about BMW or Dukec. I'm not a big fan of Apple either so there's one thing that we do share in common, but we definitely disagree about the design of this car. As far as Dukec is concerned, at this point, I think it is a matter of fact that he is a narcissistic, self centered, self absorbed, insulting, denigrating POS who hates certain groups of people. How can anyone support him by buying a car he designed? It is sickening to me.

On a lighter note, I thought you'd like this. Just posted in LOL section:

https://www.6post.com/forums/showpos...ostcount=13290
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #66
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Ha! Maybe Dukec wants to be like Steve Jobs when people complained about the iphone 4 antenna's design being blocked by your hand and he said, "JUST AVOID HOLDING IT THAT WAY"

https://techcrunch.com/2010/06/24/ip...antenna-issue/
Appreciate 0