BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Which Steering wheel for 2022 Macan S ?
GT 26 70.27%
Sandard 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

01-19-2022, 12:03 AM   #23
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
I personally would have issues with screws visible on my steering wheel
I like it, very industrial design aesthetic.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #24
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

If $$ is not an issue, I would go Macan all day long over the Audi and BMW.

X3m has a great engine, but rides rough and has little steering feel compared to the Macan.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Fined243.00
      01-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #25
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
If $$ is not an issue, I would go Macan all day long over the Audi and BMW.

X3m has a great engine, but rides rough and has little steering feel compared to the Macan.
Agreed. I will say though [my only gripe with the car], the Macan's steering feels downright slow at lower speeds. It's one of those cars you have to drive fast to really get the most out of it.

I've driven the X3M once so I don't recall how it compares in that regard. But I do distinctly recall the X3M's steering having less road feel and just feeling very "electric." But for EPS it was decent enough. The Macan's steering feels basically very close to how hydraulic steering did.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #26
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Agreed. I will say though [my only gripe with the car], the Macan's steering feels downright slow at lower speeds. It's one of those cars you have to drive fast to really get the most out of it.

I've driven the X3M once so I don't recall how it compares in that regard. But I do distinctly recall the X3M's steering having less road feel and just feeling very "electric." But for EPS it was decent enough. The Macan's steering feels basically very close to how hydraulic steering did.
It probably didn't have the Power Steering Plus option. Makes a huge difference at low speeds.
      01-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It probably didn't have the Power Steering Plus option. Makes a huge difference at low speeds.
Doesn't power steering plus make the steering very light at lower speeds? Do they engineer the ratio to be quicker too?

I prefer heavier steering regardless. Love how weighted the Macan is even when pulling out of the garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:48 PM   #28
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Doesn't power steering plus make the steering very light at lower speeds? Do they engineer the ratio to be quicker too?

I prefer heavier steering regardless. Love how weighted the Macan is even when pulling out of the garage.
Yes, it's much lighter and progressive at low speeds and tightens up as you build speed. It's not too light in my opinion and makes the Macan feel a bit more nimble. But if you like a very weighted feeling wheel at all speeds, the regular power steering will work better for you (a lot of the Macan guys code out the power steering plus (if it came as an option that they didn't choose), for exactly the reason you mentioned. For me, I don't like overly boosted feeling steering (I liked that feeling when the steering racks were hydraulic but not on an EPS rack).
Germanauto9665.50
      01-22-2022, 06:18 PM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it's much lighter and progressive at low speeds and tightens up as you build speed. It's not too light in my opinion and makes the Macan feel a bit more nimble. But if you like a very weighted feeling wheel at all speeds, the regular power steering will work better for you (a lot of the Macan guys code out the power steering plus (if it came as an option that they didn't choose), for exactly the reason you mentioned. For me, I don't like overly boosted feeling steering (I liked that feeling when the steering racks were hydraulic but not on an EPS rack).
My dad has a 2019 Macan S so my impressions are just based off that. I drive it all the time, definitely does not have power steering plus. Lighter steering does add a more nimble feeling I agree. There's pros and cons to both for sure.

BMW's hydraulic racks were certainly slower than some modern EPS systems, but they felt so fulfilling to drive even at low speeds.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5043.00
      01-22-2022, 08:24 PM   #30
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
PSP pretty much only activates under 19 MPH. As soon as you get past that speed, it quickly goes back to what the usual steering ratio happens to be. You generally won't notice this change.

I have cars with it, cars without it. Generally I don't mind having it or not. It is a bit of a personal preference.
      01-22-2022, 09:14 PM   #31
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I picked standard as I’m not a fan of overly thick wheels. BMW have gone too thick with their wheels IMO. Visually they’re almost indistinguishable.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:04 AM   #32
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
PSP pretty much only activates under 19 MPH. As soon as you get past that speed, it quickly goes back to what the usual steering ratio happens to be. You generally won't notice this change.

I have cars with it, cars without it. Generally I don't mind having it or not. It is a bit of a personal preference.
Nice garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:21 AM   #33
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
I picked standard as I’m not a fan of overly thick wheels. BMW have gone too thick with their wheels IMO. Visually they’re almost indistinguishable.
It's girthy
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 04:24 AM   #34
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

Nice garage.
Thanks~