home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

01-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Frozen Paint or Stealth PPF?

I'm still waiting for my allocation spot to come up so I've been playing around on the config and narrowed my choices down.

It's between Isle of Man Green / KO or Frozen Black / KO.

If I were to go black, is it a better idea to just go sapphire metallic and get a full stealth PPF or just go the frozen black route?

Keep reading and hearing from others that scratches/damage on satin/frozen paint is pretty much a nightmare to fix. Which gets me a little nervous to go with a frozen paint.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
TheGriffindor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM3 View Post
I'm still waiting for my allocation spot to come up so I've been playing around on the config and narrowed my choices down.

If I were to go black, is it a better idea to just go sapphire metallic and get a full stealth PPF or just go the frozen black route?

Keep reading and hearing from others that scratches/damage on satin/frozen paint is pretty much a nightmare to fix. Which gets me a little nervous to go with a frozen paint.

You have to go into the frozen paint with the expectation that you are going to stealth Xpel the car to keep its appearance and protect it. I’ve heard once you do that and proper upkeep it isn’t a big deal at all. I think the frozen colors look better than the metallic paint but you just have to understand the upfront costs and maintenance required.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #3
Corms85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

+1 to the frozen paint. I did the frozen white and absolutely love it and then did PPF for the front of the car and ceramic coated the entire thing and it is one of the easiest cars to take care of.

Doing PPF on these front bumpers can be a pain installers and you mights see some minor areas of gloss black on the curves in the lower lip area, cameras, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #4
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM3 View Post

Fixing of frozen paint is definitely a PIA…they need to paint a big part of the car even on small scratches..so that is indeed something to consider...
And here in CH even some insurances ask higher rates, as they know that they have to pay more for usual repairs than they usually do…

On the color choice question…I guess you can imagine what I would choose
But if going for black, then ppf to frozen is a nice option IMO, as it gives you an easy option to get rid of the frozen color later on sometime if you feel to…
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:04 PM   #5
P@olo d'almo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corms85 View Post
+1 to the frozen paint. I did the frozen white and absolutely love it and then did PPF for the front of the car and ceramic coated the entire thing and it is one of the easiest cars to take care of.

Doing PPF on these front bumpers can be a pain installers and you mights see some minor areas of gloss black on the curves in the lower lip area, cameras, etc.
With your car ceramic coated do you still have to use the matte/frozen wash soaps?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #6
TheGriffindor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@olo d'almo View Post
With your car ceramic coated do you still have to use the matte/frozen wash soaps?
Yes. Just to be safe. Don’t wanna risk it. Dr Beasleys is where it’s at
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:28 PM   #7
Topcarbon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4

Frozen portimoa with full ppf(installed this week)
Would not consider frozen without ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #8
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Dang, so we're lookin' at $5,000~ individual paint + another $5k-$7k for full PPF.

May just have to go isle of man green, frozen might get costly.

Seems like the stealth PPF is the cheaper option and still gets a similar look.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:43 PM   #9
Corms85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Correct I also still use matte specific detailing solutions and also use the Dr Beasley's.

Call me OCD but I just wouldn't want the door jams and a few other area left in another color.

All in frozen white ($3700), front PPF ($1600) and full ceramic coat cost ($950) cost me $6250 and it's a breeze to clean and I feel confident driving even with all the rocks that fly up on the Arizona freeways. Being white it's pretty easy to take care of and I have just been spraying it off with a pressure washer/soap and then finishing it off with the Dr. Beasley's detailer.

I was going back and forth between frozen paint and just a regular one and wrapping and ultimately decided to go frozen because I feel like I would have had instant regret and that's also what insurance is for in the event something did happen and I had to get anything repainted. I also like when people ask me I reply saying it's an individual color direct from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #10
DriveWithDray
Jedi Knight
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C & 600LT

There’s no wrong choice here
However
If it’s a white, grey or black car, I’ll usually spec it with a normal glossy paint then add satin PPF if I want that look - as I did with my black g80

The frozen paints are amazing but 90% of people will add PPF to it, which basically gives you the same result as a glossy car with satin PPF without double spending
Appreciate 1
Zircon21.00