BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #1
jhardwood
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

X3 Cold Start Exhaust Rattle

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Again, a newbie here and to BMW, so put me in my place if I am being ignorant....It seems that whenever we cold start the X3 (xdrive 30i) that there is a loud rattle in the exhaust/tailpipes. It is worse on the left side than the right, and almost sounds like a cross between loose gear or failed baffles. Once it warms up beyond the cold start, it settles down and sounds more normal. Is this normal with the X3 or not? I am 100+ miles from dealer and headed back next week to check on a few things with this new vehicle, and wondering if I need to add that to the list, or just get more educated on what is normal for this vehicle.

Thx,
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Please keep us posted.

We purchased a 2021 X3 xdrive 30i on 29 Dec between snowstorms and haven't driven it since (been waxing every inch of it)....let us know the latest.
      01-01-2022, 08:36 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardwood View Post
Again, a newbie here and to BMW, so put me in my place if I am being ignorant....It seems that whenever we cold start the X3 (xdrive 30i) that there is a loud rattle in the exhaust/tailpipes. It is worse on the left side than the right, and almost sounds like a cross between loose gear or failed baffles. Once it warms up beyond the cold start, it settles down and sounds more normal. Is this normal with the X3 or not? I am 100+ miles from dealer and headed back next week to check on a few things with this new vehicle, and wondering if I need to add that to the list, or just get more educated on what is normal for this vehicle.

Thx,
Jeff
Cold exhaust rattles are not normal. Have your dealer check it out.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3848.50
      01-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #4
jhardwood
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Racebruce I will let you know for sure. FYI, the first thing we did was buy a second set of wheels and some Blizzaks. The next thing we did is make an appointment to get it ceramic coated (not going to burn my hours waxing).

DanG thanks for the response! We have an appointment to get it in and checked out.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:02 PM   #5
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardwood View Post

Thx,
Jeff
Seems to be pretty normal. My wife's X3 (2016) also has rattle in the exhaust on cold start. Had dealer check it a few times, they found nothing wrong.
I've had numerous loaner X3's over the last 6 years, both F25 (same generation as what my wife has) and the G01 (same as your 2022) and they all had exhaust rattle on cold start.
Appreciate 0