home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

07-17-2023, 09:13 AM   #1
chrisfri13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X-Drive

M3 Comp X-Drive Time Attack/Daily Build

I just brought home my M3 last week and due to my current TA car having some issues I needed to prep and break in my M3 for a race this coming weekend. I have been scrambling to have the car prepped and have used this forum countless times already and wanted to catalog what I have done, for anyone else to learn from as well.

A little about myself. I have been a Time Attack competitor in SCCA Time Trials, Gridlife, and Global Time Attack for over 8 years now and have been AutoXing for about the last 12. Previous race cars have been an Evo X, C7 Z51, 370Z Nismo, C7 Grand Sport, ZL1 1LE. I went to go for the M3 because I am looking for one car to do it all. (Back Seats for the baby on the way is a huge plus too) From all my research the M3 is really the best thing out there.

Now onto the Build:

Car:
Dravit Grey 2023 M3 Comp X-Drive Red/Carbon Interior
All options except carbon seats/trim

Plans:
Built for S1 SCCA Time Trails Class which will fit StreetGT Gridlife and Street Global Time Attack Class.

Modification Plans:
Wheels
Tires
SS Brake Lines
Brake Fluid
Brake Pads
Camber Plates
CS Running Lights
Window Tint
PPF

Last edited by chrisfri13; 07-17-2023 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
chrisfri13
United_States
Rep

Here is what I have purchased so far:

Wheels - 19x10" ET12 Motorsport Gold APEX VS-5RS Forged BMW Wheel (Square Set-Up)
Tires - 275/30/19 RE71RS Wheels (285s were out of stock)
Brake Pads - Hawk DTC-60 Pads (developing pads for sale)
SS Lines - ECS Tuning Stainless Brake Lines
Running Lights - Motorsport+ CSL Yellow DRL Module Set
Tow Hooks - ZL1 Addons Red Front & Rear Tow Hooks
Tint/PPF - Completed by Exoworks in Troy Ohio
Brake Fluid - Castrol SRF
Camber Plates - BMW G20/G80 (2019-up) Camber Plates & OEM
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #3
chrisfri13
United_States
Rep

Additional Items Purchased:

Motive Power Bleeder
BMW Jack Stand Adapters
BMW Jack Puck Adapters
Bimmerlink App
OBD2 CX Bluetooth Adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 09:29 AM   #4
chrisfri13
United_States
Rep

First Mods:

Yesterday I spent 5 hours installing the SS Brake Lines, installed the running lights, flushed the brake fluid and test fitted the Hawk Brakes.

For the lights:
Simple install, had to remove the 100 bolts to get the wheel wells out but they were easy to do. I drilled a small hole to access the hard to reach bolt for the housings inside the wheel well and painted over the exposed metal. It was a tedious job but well worth the money and effort.

Hawk Brakes:
I am a sponsored driver by Hawk (maybe some of you have seen the ZL1 1LE wrapped camaro?) and they have just started working on pads for the G80, they currently do not make pads for them, but they sent me out ones that look like a close fit. I have marked them up and sent them back for them to make some prototype pads for me to test the fitment. I will share a link and hopefully a discount code when they are done.

SS Lines/Brake Bleed:
Wayyy easier than I thought. I put the car into parking brake service mode (bimmerlink) then unhooked the battery. I the swapped the rear lines then used the motive bleeder to bled/flushed the rears. I went to the front and swapped the lines and bled/flushed them again. One tip I have is while bleeding I would close the bleeder and pump the brakes then open the bleeder to help get any extra bubbles out. Once done I put the car on the ground. Hooked up the battery and took it out of the parking brake service mode. Everything works perfectly fine!!!!!

Next step is to get wheels and tires mounted!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 11:14 AM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Nice! Curious as to if you were planning on using this car in TA, why didn't you go for the buckets?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
chrisfri13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Nice! Curious as to if you were planning on using this car in TA, why didn't you go for the buckets?
Main reason is that I don't fit in them. I'm 6'4" 270lbs haha plus I don't think they would be comfortable on long distances and getting in and out doesn't look like fun. This thing still has to be a daily!
Appreciate 0