01-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #133
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
90 600$ cad around here + 15% tax..
Value does not mean cheap...i.e. how does that relate to the price of an Audi, Benz, Porsche or Lexus matching it’s performance? Than add one with MT
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      01-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #134
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Value does not mean cheap...i.e. how does that relate to the price of an Audi, Benz, Porsche or Lexus matching it’s performance? Than add one with MT
Honestly for my specific needs (needs to endur 10+ track days/yr) there is not much... Guilia Quadrofoglio could but lacks in many areas.

Right now the OG M2 fits the bill well, I can use a quick-fit harness so it alleviates the problem of the M2C/M3/M4 poor seat holding. Carrera T M/T if you can find one would be a good value I think. Forget Audi, Benz or Lexus if you ever do more than 1-2 track days a year.

I think after all the whining and crying there is a reason ppl continue to come back to BMW, to this day they always produced one hell of a package. I understand the ppl who jumped ship because they had decisions to make, I am in no hurry until next fall, I just hope the core elements I am looking for are still there. And yes since the inception of the G series the marketing hasnt stopped get worse and worse. I can go behond the looks if the thing drives well but I hope they stop screwing around soon.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 2
JTO245274.50
solstice5456.50
      01-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #135
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Still a misleading comparison, which continues to cast a shadow for the sceptics.

BMW should have been more transparent with all of the technical info from the onset of the G8X release. Too little, too late. They now seem to be in catch up mode, which is usually not a good place to be.

See what they gave us for the F8X:
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 1): The new M Servotronic.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 2): The Brake Systems.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 3): The new engine.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 4): Sound and Exhuast System.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 5): smartly light, rigid, precise.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 6): The new chassis.
BMW M3 and BMW M4 Inside (part 7): The Active M differential.
While this is useful information your characterization that BMW is behind seems inaccurate... they seem to be right on scheduled based on the F8X info. If you look at the time stamps of most of these they were released starting in late march 2014 through the summer of of 2014. For a car that was introduced in fall 2013 for spring 2014 on sale.... the G8X is only a monthish ahead of the F8X timeline so general expectation should be this information will only start to trickle out now.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
M3AWD3181.50
      01-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #136
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Don't understand why they didn't simply compare like to like, surely they could have gotten their hands on a similarly specced F82 for an accurate comparison.
It just reeks of dishonesty whether that was the desire or not.
      01-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #137
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Don't understand why they didn't compare like to like, surely they could have gotten their hands on a similarly specced F82 for an accurate comparison.
It just reeks of dishonesty whether that was the desire or not.
I don't even understand the goal of this video.

- Who is it aimed at ?
- Why only shallow information without specific details
- A comparision without of comparision ?
- The person is clearly not a professional presenter
- Feels like a leaked corporate video for dealers but it isnt.

It doesnt make much sense

Last edited by PLF69; 01-12-2021 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #138
solstice
Major General
Rep

Episode 01 sounds promising. It should mean more of these to come.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      01-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #139
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Honestly for my specific needs (needs to endur 10+ track days/yr) there is not much... Guilia Quadrofoglio could but lacks in many areas.

Right now the OG M2 fits the bill well, I can use a quick-fit harness so it alleviates the problem of the M2C/M3/M4 poor seat holding. Carrera T M/T if you can find one would be a good value I think. Forget Audi, Benz or Lexus if you ever do more than 1-2 track days a year.

I think after all the whining and crying there is a reason ppl continue to come back to BMW, to this day they always produced one hell of a package. I understand the ppl who jumped ship because they had decisions to make, I am in no hurry until next fall, I just hope the core elements I am looking for are still there. And yes since the inception of the G series the marketing hasnt stopped get worse and worse. I can go behond the looks if the thing drives well but I hope they stop screwing around soon.
Agree totally with what you said; however, if I may add my 2 cents. I don't see how someone who can afford a new Porsche 992 Turbo or GT3 would care about an M3/M4. Those cars are in a sacred realm, yet I see posts proclaiming their disappointment in the new M's and how it has led them to these cars. To me that's ridiculous, but then we are on a forum where one never know if someone is trolling or not.

If I had enough money to purchase a new GT3, or 992 Turbo, I would have no interest in an M3/M4 other than a casual curiosity to see what the specs are. There would be no outrage from my end. After all, M3/M4 is not even in the same realm as those cars.
      01-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #140
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
While this is useful information your characterization that BMW is behind seems inaccurate... they seem to be right on scheduled based on the F8X info. If you look at the time stamps of most of these they were released starting in late march 2014 through the summer of of 2014. For a car that was introduced in fall 2013 for spring 2014 on sale.... the G8X is only a monthish ahead of the F8X timeline so general expectation should be this information will only start to trickle out now.
Good point. I did not look at the timeline on these specifically. That being said, I still had sufficient information to make a decision when I pulled the trigger on an F82 order in late 2013.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-12-2021 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #141
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good point. I did not look at the timeline on these.
And to be honest, if you had felt forced into a 992CS due to the speculated weight increase I can understand that the delay in getting the scale weight out could make you miffed but since you left this segment and opted for the TT which is in another stratosphere, 100lbs less than expected will not turn the G82 into a TT so do you really care?

Time to focus on that miracle of a car you’re getting and relax a bit about BMW and the G8X, maybe
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      01-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #142
shamun160
Private
Rep
Drives: GT4, 328i Wagon, XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:

Agree totally with what you said; however, if I may add my 2 cents. I don't see how someone who can afford a new Porsche 992 Turbo or GT3 would care about an M3/M4. Those cars are in a sacred realm, yet I see posts proclaiming their disappointment in the new M's and how it has led them to these cars. To me that's ridiculous, but then we are on a forum where one never know if someone is trolling or not.

If I had enough money to purchase a new GT3, or 992 Turbo, I would have no interest in an M3/M4 other than a casual curiosity to see what the specs are. After all, M3/M4 is not even in the same realm as those cars.
I'll bite.

Contemplating selling my GT car and going back to the M3.

I have gotten 2-3 track days per year in the GT4 and about 1500 street miles since I swapped the M3 for it.

I might enjoy the GT4 experience 5x what I got from the M3 but I got to drive the M3 10x.

Little kids and practicality as a year rounder make the M3 compelling.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      01-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #143
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't see how someone who can afford a new Porsche 992 Turbo or GT3 would care about an M3/M4. cars are in a sacred realm,
Well thats your opinion and the sacred realm part, sorry but thats in your head. A car is a car, like a house is a house, some are better and have more market value than others.

Quote:
If I had enough money to purchase a new GT3, or 992 Turbo, I would have no interest in an M3/M4
I understand but the reality is that we don't all think the same, what is a good value to me may be different for you, I could buy 1000$/btle liquor but I like the taste/cost of Bowmore scotch to be a great value. Ppl can argue all day that one car is better than another but I have you sit in a Miata in a open track and try to not have fun.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
EXE462100.00
      01-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #144
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Well thats your opinion and the sacred realm part, sorry but thats in your head. A car is a car, like a house is a house, some are better and have more market value than others.
It brings me great joy to attend so many PCA track days as an instructor every year and show them that they are their 'sacred cars' cannot keep up with old, antiquated technology of an M3. Mind you, this is not achieved by entering the lower rungroups to beat children up, but against the fastest red group 991 GT3 and 991 GT3 RS.

Porsche guys really believe in the infinite superiority of their technical machines' ability, then forget the DRIVER is a very important piece of the puzzle.

The day Porsche is able to provide a 'automatic track driving package', all the GT3 and GT3 RS guys will take it so they can finally get away from simple cars like M3s that somehow manage to be faster than they are. This will be a very popular package!
Indeed today the Porsche guys are not that far away from this. They run with the nannies connected because God forbid they have to actually handle a rear engined car. This of course does not stop them from waxing lyrical about how much better their car is than an M3, yet M3 drivers run with nannies off and they run with them on which is more 'proof' than any idiot at a Cars and Coffee. Which incidentally is where you'll find most of the 'tracktoy' license plate GT3 RSs that wouldn't distinguish a racetrack from a watermelon

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-12-2021 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
EXE462100.00
      01-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #145
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Robert Mitchell has said it pretty well - comment was on the money. If people cant deal with it - so what. Dog pisses on a wall, not because its being a hooligan, but just what it does. People will have negative opinion on bad info or bad design, and thats just what it is. dont be mad at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I follow Robert on Youtube and he was very outspoken about the grilles and suggesting that he and his company Ring Taxi along with others that were able to see the grille before release told BMW not to do this with the iconic M3 (the large grille).

He has been very critical of BMW, but as stated he owns 11 of them, he is a fan, it all goes back to the grilles and the odd marketing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet_F82 View Post
Interesting take:

Suggesting that BMW employees are going going to be limiting their careers and future employment prospects because they worked on the G8x and were maybe in a video on YouTube or Instagram?

Blaming "BMW Marketing" for giving people a "scapegoat" for the look of the car or the heaviness? Oh no, certainly don't denounce the people that are making horrible comments online or worse.

It's like he's providing a diagram of how to harass BMW and their employees on social media and what their consequences should be.

I almost want to sign into YouTube and call him out for being a colossal tw a t. I hope he watches this video in a year so he can cringe at what he's saying like some of us are now.

The M video gives you the weight of a lightweight configuration for the G8x. If you want to go lighter, you can always modify it. But sure, let's pretend that's impossible for the less than 1% of G8x Ms that will see a track and instead join a bandwagon for views.

If you don't like the car, move on with your life. I used to enjoy watching the Apex Nuerburg videos but with content like this and the steadily declining quality into YouTube-drama level, I should probably move on with my life as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Suggesting that BMW employees are going going to be limiting their careers and future employment prospects because they worked on the G8x and were maybe in a video on YouTube or Instagram?

Blaming "BMW Marketing" for giving people a "scapegoat" for the look of the car or the heaviness? Oh no, certainly don't denounce the people that are making horrible comments online or worse.

It's like he's providing a diagram of how to harass BMW and their employees on social media and what their consequences should be.

I almost want to sign into YouTube and call him out for being a colossal tw a t. I hope he watches this video in a year so he can cringe at what he's saying like some of us are now.

The M video gives you the weight of a lightweight configuration for the G8x. If you want to go lighter, you can always modify it. But sure, let's pretend that's impossible for the less than 1% of G8x Ms that will see a track and instead join a bandwagon for views.

If you don't like the car, move on with your life. I used to enjoy watching the Apex Nuerburg videos but with content like this and the steadily declining quality into YouTube-drama level, I should probably move on with my life as well.
I follow Robert on Youtube and he was very outspoken about the grilles and suggesting that he and his company Ring Taxi along with others that were able to see the grille before release told BMW not to do this with the iconic M3 (the large grille).

He has been very critical of BMW, but as stated he owns 11 of them, he is a fan, it all goes back to the grilles and the odd marketing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Robert Mitchell has said it pretty well - comment was on the money. If people cant deal with it - so what. Dog pisses on a wall, not because its being a hooligan, but just what it does. People will have negative opinion on bad info or bad design, and thats just what it is. dont be mad at that.

Quote:

His comments was only on the money as regards the person in the video if he has mind reading/psychic abilities to read the facial expressions of Klaus the way he does. In reality he is just so sure he is right (and that it is only his view that is correct) that he uses conjecture in interpreting facial expressions and also assume the rest of the world agrees with him that the G8x is a failure in every aspect.

He has been so critical of bmw lately and especially the G8x. When bmw release a video proving him wrong his response is attacking them while using an innocent bmw employee as his smoke screen to discredit the video.

His comments on Klaus was just cringeworthy and bullying.

When someone called him out in the comments he replied in typical bully fashion saying the guy was on a tangent and didn't comprehend...
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      01-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #146
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I also weigh all my cars, full tank, completely oem:
2013 E92 ZCP 6MT, cloth seats, no nav: 3603
2018 F80 CS DCT, leather seats, nav: 3657
My 2008 E92 and 2015 F82 were similarly specced, both with DCT, hi-end audio and nav.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #147
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
His comments was only on the money as regards the person in the video if he has mind reading/psychic abilities to read the facial expressions of Klaus the way he does. In reality he is just so sure he is right (and that it is only his view that is correct) that he uses conjecture in interpreting facial expressions and also assume the rest of the world agrees with him that the G8x is a failure in every aspect.

This guy is just full of himself and his inflated ego.

He has been so critical of bmw lately and especially the G8x. When bmw release a video proving him wrong his response is attacking them while using an innocent bmw employee as his smoke screen to discredit the video.

His comments on Klaus was just cringeworthy and bullying.

When someone called him out in the comments he replied in typical bully fashion saying the guy was on a tangent and didn't comprehend...
Disgraceful!
Indeed, bullying is a disgusting tactic.

In this video what I see is a geeky BMW worker explain actual weights of both cars as people are losing their mind thinking of a 400lb weight gain. The guy doesn't speak much English and is not a marketing guy.

Oh but wait we are all tired of marketing videos! We want real BMW videos! Well here we got one, all the way down to the corner balance scales, and all you have is more complaining and crying.

I unfortunately read a post of someone here a few days ago whose first sentence said 'bmws were no longer good cars to drive' and then their second sentence said 'it's so ugly that no matter how good it is to drive I still don't want one'.
It's odd to complain about driving dynamics when that person's own post clearly spells out that it could be God's gift to driving and they still wouldn't buy it because of aesthetics.

It's just strange. I'm not surprised the mods have taken a ban-happy approach in the G8X forum
Appreciate 2
PLF693766.00
M3AWD3181.50
      01-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #148
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
And to be honest, if you had felt forced into a 992CS due to the speculated weight increase I can understand that the delay in getting the scale weight out could make you miffed but since you left this segment and opted for the TT which is in another stratosphere, 100lbs less than expected will not turn the G82 into a TT so do you really care?

Time to focus on that miracle of a car you’re getting and relax a bit about BMW and the G8X, maybe
My comment about lack of information in general and is not only about the weight. This video alone would not have swayed me, I actually think it is misleading. I still believe apples-to-apples the G8X will 200~300lb heavier than the F8X.

I really wanted to love the G8X. My M3/4 have served me so well for so many years. When researching and shopping around, I eventually ended up with my current purchase, it was not the end goal at all.

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
KoenG1428.50
      01-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #149
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My comment about lack of information in general and is not only about the weight. This video alone would not have swayed me, I actually think it is misleading. I still believe apples-to-apples the G8X will 200~300lb heavier than the F8X.

I really wanted to love the G8X. My M3/4 have served me so well for so many years. When researching and shopping around, I eventually ended up with my current purchase, it was not the end goal at all.
Maybe initially but once you stepped up from the 992 CS to the TT this make little sense.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      01-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #150
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Let's hear how that V10 engine sounds
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11479.50
CanAutM321116.50
      01-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #151
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 320d M (G20) M4 Comp RWD (G82)

I dont know if was mentioned yet...

According to Klaus from BMW M the ZF8 AT adds 25kg (55lbs) of weight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      01-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #152
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Enthusiast View Post

BMW seems to be posting a full Q+A on Instagram, some screenshots:

They are definitely teasing a whole series of technical videos/detail as well

Maybe the mods or a forum member has access to a full release or high res versions of the entire thing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #153
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

Yes, this has been clear for some time now.

Basically the manual to auto penalty is smaller than the F8X generation
EDIT: same delta than the F8X gen

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-12-2021 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #154
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:

BMW seems to be posting a full Q+A on Instagram, some screenshots:

They are definitely teasing a whole series of technical videos/detail as well

Maybe the mods or a forum member has access to a full release or high res versions of the entire thing?
Also thought these answers where interesting:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
CanAutM321116.50