BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #45
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/G80 M3 Comp on Ord

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Ok... so your idea of a significant representation of individuals is based off anecdotal evidence from browsing Youtube, IG, and Tik Tok.... Great.

People would be "dogging the restyling" regardless of what was to come out, happens every generation. Oh and by the way, it's not only the traditional demographic that's been dogging the style.... you should know.... you seem to do all your research on Youtube.

It's the marketing that's really taken a turn for the worse, and there's no harm in discussing how ridiculous it's been. There's various ways a brand can go about trying to increase its market share. BMW seems to have taken the "even bad press is good press" route, which to me, is unfitting of a luxury brand and cheapens the experience.

Ultimately people will buy or won't buy... but this is a forum for discussion.

Fair enough but I’m not talking about anecdotal evidence. The fact of the matter is that those of you who are complaining just don’t understand how social media works and the impact it has on the younger generation. So what some might not be able to afford a G80 but they may be able to afford an E92 and now a F80. What I’m saying is your thought process is severely limited. Let’s move away from social media for a bit. A lot of complaints also came from the partnership with KITH (again lack of understanding). So because some of you feel BMW isn’t addressing your concerns and your concerns only then marketing is a failure. Your last sentence says it all. It cheapens the experience, but who’s experience? Get over yourselves. Seriously. Those who do social media, and are into high end urban clothing can easily afford this stuff. Case in point I sold 6 pairs of Jordan’s and those 6 pairs of sneakers covered the cost of my CF Seats. Just because you’re not into what BMW is doing doesn’t make it wrong.

Last edited by Bimmr7; 01-16-2021 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:53 AM   #46
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
I feel u guys, if i didnt need the seats for my kids this would really be a dilemma between M3 and used 911... i think exclusivity would be a factor, as in my region there will always be a lot of Porsche and few M3/4's ...
Wow - I need to live where you are lol!
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #47
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I suggest waiting to see it in person and waiting for the drivers reviews to come in. I can't blame you from canceling your preorder, seems like a car you have to experience before buying unless you are truly convicted
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #48
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmr7 View Post
Quote:
Ok... so your idea of a significant representation of individuals is based off anecdotal evidence from browsing Youtube, IG, and Tik Tok.... Great.

People would be "dogging the restyling" regardless of what was to come out, happens every generation. Oh and by the way, it's not only the traditional demographic that's been dogging the style.... you should know.... you seem to do all your research on Youtube.

It's the marketing that's really taken a turn for the worse, and there's no harm in discussing how ridiculous it's been. There's various ways a brand can go about trying to increase its market share. BMW seems to have taken the "even bad press is good press" route, which to me, is unfitting of a luxury brand and cheapens the experience.

Ultimately people will buy or won't buy... but this is a forum for discussion.

Fair enough but I'm not talking about anecdotal evidence. The fact of the matter is that those of you who are complaining just don't understand how social media works and the impact it has on the younger generation. So what some might not be able to afford a G80 but they may be able to afford an E92 and now a F80. What I'm saying is your though process is severely limited. Let's move away from social media for a bit. A lot of complaints also came from the partnership with KITH (again lack of understanding). So because some of you feel BMW isn't addressing your concerns and your concerns only then marketing is a failure. You last sentence says it all. It cheapens the experience, but who's experience? Get over yourselves. Seriously. Those who do social media, and into high end urban clothing can easily afford this stuff. Case in point I sold 6 pairs of Jordan's and those 6 pairs of sneakers covered the cost of my CF Seats. Just because you're not into what BMW is doing doesn't make it wrong.
You're right but I'm guessing, as longstanding loyal bmw fans, that we're collectively a little butt hurt being ignored...

Kinda sucks actually.

Although BMW have definitely addressed it more with the video series about m3 technology.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #49
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2nvs2001 View Post
You're right but I'm guessing, as longstanding loyal bmw fans, that we're collectively a little butt hurt being ignored...

Kinda sucks actually.

Although BMW have definitely addressed it more with the video series about m3 technology.
I can respect your honesty and I appreciate your comment. I don’t think we’re being ignored I just look at it as BMW testing out the waters before engaging more with its core audiences. As you can see more detailed information is coming out with technical information and such. This is the home stretch before the car is released and I’m sure the serious approach to pushing this car out to the masses will begin.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #50
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Fair enough but I’m not talking about anecdotal evidence. The fact of the matter is that those of you who are complaining just don’t understand how social media works and the impact it has on the younger generation. So what some might not be able to afford a G80 but they may be able to afford an E92 and now a F80. What I’m saying is your though process is severely limited. Let’s move away from social media for a bit. A lot of complaints also came from the partnership with KITH (again lack of understanding). So because some of you feel BMW isn’t addressing your concerns and your concerns only then marketing is a failure. You last sentence says it all. It cheapens the experience, but who’s experience? Get over yourselves. Seriously. Those who do social media, and into high end urban clothing can easily afford this stuff. Case in point I sold 6 pairs of Jordan’s and those 6 pairs of sneakers covered the cost of my CF Seats. Just because you’re not into what BMW is doing doesn’t make it wrong.
Cheapens the experience of owning an $80k+ car, regardless of who you are. I don't have an issue with them wanting to market to younger audiences.. the issue is their marketing is absolutely ridiculous, and the car which they ARE marketing to younger audiences is out of reach for most financially (it's out of reach for most regardless of age range, but ESPECIALLY for younger audiences).

But again, that's not the issue. I'm simply saying, younger audience or not, the marketing campaign is incredibly bizarre. Remember when BMW had to apologize for using the "ok boomer" tagline? Again, BMW seems to be taking the "bad press is good press" approach as if they're trying hard to get noticed and get everyone talking. The reason I say this cheapens the experience is because BMW's are not cheap, they're expensive relative to the average car. It has nothing to do with BMW customers needing to get over themselves.

I can't believe I'm actually engaging you in this.... but you need to look at data before you start making anecdotal claims. You're LITERALLY describing things using anecdotal evidence.

You can do your own analysis if you'd like, but here's the data for mean and median household income by age range, year over year in the US:
https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...lds/h10ar.xlsx

A few points:
1) Despite your claims of all these social media influencers and their impact on the younger audience, the 15-24 age range actually saw a DECREASE in average household income 2018 to 2019.
2) The age range which saw the largest INCREASES in average household income 2018 to 2019 was the 55-64 age range, followed by the 35-44 age range.
3) The 15-24 year age range (which presumably has the largest concentration of youtube/tiktok/IG influencers) has not shown significant cumulative increase in mean/median incomes over the past 5 years, relative to the other age groups. This suggests the "youtube millionaires" represent a very small % of the group to a point where their income figures are negligible to the overall income figures (of ANY age group).

I'm not denying that influencers have impact on purchasing decisions (just that they don't really have an impact on overall income levels, which was your original premise). The issue is when you're leveraging an $80k car to reach that audience using questionable at best marketing tactics, you risk alienating the people that can actually afford said car.

As I mentioned before, people will still buy or not buy the car (hell, BMW was the #1 luxury automaker in sales last year), but the marketing campaign is just downright bizarre and even embarrassing.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 6
EXE462097.00
stein_325i25051.00
Ilyam5888.50
DAC17170.50
      01-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #51
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Cheapens the experience of owning an $80k+ car, regardless of who you are. I don't have an issue with them wanting to market to younger audiences.. the issue is their marketing is absolutely ridiculous, and the car which they ARE marketing to younger audiences is out of reach for most financially (it's out of reach for most regardless of age range, but ESPECIALLY for younger audiences).

But again, that's not the issue. I'm simply saying, younger audience or not, the marketing campaign is incredibly bizarre. Remember when BMW had to apologize for using the "ok boomer" tagline? Again, BMW seems to be taking the "bad press is good press" approach as if they're trying hard to get noticed and get everyone talking. The reason I say this cheapens the experience is because BMW's are not cheap, they're expensive relative to the average car. It has nothing to do with BMW customers needing to get over themselves.

I can't believe I'm actually engaging you in this.... but you need to look at data before you start making anecdotal claims. You're LITERALLY describing things using anecdotal evidence.

You can do your own analysis if you'd like, but here's the data for mean and median household income by age range, year over year in the US:
https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...lds/h10ar.xlsx

A few points:
1) Despite your claims of all these social media influencers and their impact on the younger audience, the 15-24 age range actually saw a DECREASE in average household income 2018 to 2019.
2) The age range which saw the largest INCREASES in average household income 2018 to 2019 was the 55-64 age range, followed by the 35-44 age range.
3) The 15-24 year age range (which presumably has the largest concentration of youtube/tiktok/IG influencers) has not shown significant cumulative increase in mean/median incomes over the past 5 years, relative to the other age groups. This suggests the "youtube millionaires" represent a very small % of the group to a point where their income figures are negligible to the overall income figures (of ANY age group).

I'm not denying that influencers have impact on purchasing decisions (just that they don't really have an impact on overall income levels, which was your original premise). The issue is when you're leveraging an $80k car to reach that audience using questionable at best marketing tactics, you risk alienating the people that can actually afford said car.

As I mentioned before, people will still buy or not buy the car (hell, BMW was the #1 luxury automaker in sales last year), but the marketing campaign is just downright bizarre and even embarrassing.

To each their own I guess. I can agree that the marketing campaign is a bit odd but it’s their product and they can market it how they want. Like you and I agree people can choose to buy or not.
Appreciate 1
DAC17170.50
      01-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #52
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Getting G80/82?

I've had the very first of the last three generations of M3/4 Coupe, but holding off this time. Partly because we just got my wife a new Mercedes, but also just not totally jazzed about the direction BMW has gone with this, primarily the forever increasing size & weight. My F82 is already at the limit of what I want in that regard. I may soften after a while, but I may wait and see how the next M2 (G87) turn out.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
      01-21-2021, 04:18 AM   #53
pgw85706
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 911, 2020 540iX (wife's)

G82 Delivery

I am interested to know what is being quoted for delivery and what is most likely delivery for G82 Competition Individual BMW order delivered to the Spartanburg Performance Center. Thank you. Patrick
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #54
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

I am sticking to my rule of never buying the first year model. Followed the rule successfully for the last 3 generations. LCI is always the way to go for the M3 and by then I would have a much better idea of what the car is all about (in person and test drives, forum feedback, etc.).

No hurry here.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:42 AM   #55
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgw85706 View Post
I am interested to know what is being quoted for delivery and what is most likely delivery for G82 Competition Individual BMW order delivered to the Spartanburg Performance Center. Thank you. Patrick
I think you might be in the wrong thread with this question Patrick.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #56
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Need to read some reviews, need to drive the car (I'm not buying something without driving it), need to see it in person, and I'll prob consider getting a post LCI car and cross my fingers for a manual wagon and see how the new M2 will be.

Specs matter less than the unquantifiable feel of a car. Case in point, I have a GSF that I absolutely love, and that car was disregarded by most buyers when it came out (and still is) as being porky, overweight, and underpowered, but to me, it just "feels" right.

But props to bmw for making a stick. That alone will keep be interested in potentially picking this up in a few years.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317871.50
EXE462097.00
      01-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #57
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Specs matter less than the unquantifiable feel of a car. Case in point, I have a GSF that I absolutely love, and that car was disregarded by most buyers when it came out (and still is) as being porky, overweight, and underpowered, but to me, it just "feels" right.
Absolutely LOVE the GS-F. I had the opportunity to drive one around a track and it was a total joy. By no means was it FAST, but the way it sounded, the way the throttle responded with that NA V8, the steering response... just a great car and such a shame Lexus did such a terrible job marketing it.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
Sublime001129.00
EXE462097.00
      01-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #58
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2nvs2001 View Post
Not really though. I find these videos to be a let down as they have very little actual technical content. There's not much to be learned. It's still more about social media than actual geeking out.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
PLF693762.50
Sublime001129.00
Poochie9099.00
      01-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #59
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely LOVE the GS-F. I had the opportunity to drive one around a track and it was a total joy. By no means was it FAST, but the way it sounded, the way the throttle responded with that NA V8, the steering response... just a great car and such a shame Lexus did such a terrible job marketing it.
At least they didn't use BMW marketing, eh "boomer"? Lol.

I'm glad you liked the GSF; It's such a blast and makes you work for it.

Just not worth it to me to buy on specs alone, especially when you're dropping $70k+ on a car. Would be nice if BMW sent some demos to regional dealerships so people can drive it instead of getting the typical hard sell from a dealership trying to convince you how special it is and how it can't be driven bc it's an M product.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317871.50
      01-23-2021, 08:18 PM   #60
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Fair enough but I’m not talking about anecdotal evidence. The fact of the matter is that those of you who are complaining just don’t understand how social media works and the impact it has on the younger generation.
Just because we don't like it doesn't mean we don't understand it.

Quote:
So what some might not be able to afford a G80 but they may be able to afford an E92 and now a F80. What I’m saying is your thought process is severely limited. Let’s move away from social media for a bit. A lot of complaints also came from the partnership with KITH (again lack of understanding). So because some of you feel BMW isn’t addressing your concerns and your concerns only then marketing is a failure. Your last sentence says it all. It cheapens the experience, but who’s experience? Get over yourselves. Seriously. Those who do social media, and are into high end urban clothing can easily afford this stuff. Case in point I sold 6 pairs of Jordan’s and those 6 pairs of sneakers covered the cost of my CF Seats. Just because you’re not into what BMW is doing doesn’t make it wrong.
I don't think it's "wrong" nor do I think it's "right". It think it placates the perpetual narcissism of social media and piggybacking. KITH aka Ronnie Fieg is a "clothing designer" that takes existing products and changes the color, adds a few cosmetic changes, markets hype, upcharges them, and then sells it at his boutique. That's like if Walmart changed the color of the G80, limited production and called it a WALM edition. Hypothetically, except of adding the KITH logo, what if walmart made the exact same changes that Ronnie Fieg did to the G80? Would it be as highly regarded? Probably not. I actually do like the interior colors, but it's not exactly original, they are simply the same colors used on the ///M logo for decades. I could have done the same thing with a custom order (if BMW would allow). The "value" then for those who see value in the KITH name is simply in the KITH name. By definition, that is superficial. However, if Mercedes released a lightweight C63S Hamilton edition with a tuned engine, chassis, and suspension ALONG WITH some personal design and settings input from Hamilton himself then we would have something of substance instead of what is basically someone adding lipstick and a lens flare to the Mona Lisa.

I can't hide my concept for these modern "designers" who basically take someone else's hard work and changes a few colors and gets fellated on social media by all the others desperate for the same type of "fame".

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 01-23-2021 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
DAC17170.50
      01-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #61
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

We (including me) are getting on in age and don’t understand this whole social media thing either. BUT, that doesn’t mean it won’t potentially sell cars. I personally dislike the look of the new M3/4, but that’s me. Ultimately, the cars will sell or they won’t; BMW will analyze the hell out of the market and they’ll change their advertising and marketing accordingly. Or, hopefully, they’ll make changes to the front of the car!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #62
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just not worth it to me to buy on specs alone, especially when you're dropping $70k+ on a car. Would be nice if BMW sent some demos to regional dealerships so people can drive it instead of getting the typical hard sell from a dealership trying to convince you how special it is and how it can't be driven bc it's an M product.
Hmm. My local dealer will let anyone test drive an M car. Their feeling is that a few test miles on a car won't stop anyone from buying it.

I test drove my M2 before bought it.
      01-23-2021, 10:18 PM   #63
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The HEA cars are supposed to be those demos... but the dealers greed sell them instead
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:36 AM   #64
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Just because we don't like it doesn't mean we don't understand it.

I don't think it's "wrong" nor do I think it's "right". It think it placates the perpetual narcissism of social media and piggybacking. KITH aka Ronnie Fieg is a "clothing designer" that takes existing products and changes the color, adds a few cosmetic changes, markets hype, upcharges them, and then sells it at his boutique. That's like if Walmart changed the color of the G80, limited production and called it a WALM edition. Hypothetically, except of adding the KITH logo, what if walmart made the exact same changes that Ronnie Fieg did to the G80? Would it be as highly regarded? Probably not. I actually do like the interior colors, but it's not exactly original, they are simply the same colors used on the ///M logo for decades. I could have done the same thing with a custom order (if BMW would allow). The "value" then for those who see value in the KITH name is simply in the KITH name. By definition, that is superficial. However, if Mercedes released a lightweight C63S Hamilton edition with a tuned engine, chassis, and suspension ALONG WITH some personal design and settings input from Hamilton himself then we would have something of substance instead of what is basically someone adding lipstick and a lens flare to the Mona Lisa.

I can't hide my concept for these modern "designers" who basically take someone else's hard work and changes a few colors and gets fellated on social media by all the others desperate for the same type of "fame".

I’m not sure if you actually ever been in a KITH Boutique or just did a refresh on the internet. KITH or Ronnie Fieg absolutely makes their own designs. As a matter of fact I would spend (I have) $140 one one of their sweatshirts over some of the crap that’s pushed in stores of other retailers simply because of the quality of materials. Show me another designer who used 500 GSM cotton for sweatshirts and 250 GSM cotton t-shirts? I’ll wait.

Additionally, what you refer to as “using someone else’s design” is called a collaboration or collab, which is exactly what the KITH Car is all about. It’s a G80 M4 with an added touch.

I’m not going to argue or challenge how you define social media (everyone has their own opinion) but the fact of the matter is, it’s here to stay and it’s the way that most companies market their products. I don’t know BMW’s end game but someone in the company felt the current market strategy was the right way forward. As enthusiasts, we have to finally come to the realization that their market doesn’t revolve around us. I’ve been hearing the same argument (what about their enthusiasts) since I joined this forum 10+ years ago. As many of you have said in this forum, “BMW is marketing to people who can’t afford this car, I’m saying BMW is marketing to people who can in a few years and for longer periods of time, than you or I may be interested in their cars. I don’t know about anyone here but I bought (leased) my first BMW at 23 and bought my second at 24 and guess what? I’ve been leasing and buying BMW’s since (now 41). Paid off my E92 M3, will be adding the G80 to the garage (E92 will be daily) and when I get back stateside will lease my wife her BMW of choice. Again because you don’t agree with their marketing doesn’t make it wrong, and doesn’t make it right as you so wisely stated above.
Appreciate 1
khanyam4801.50
      01-24-2021, 02:38 AM   #65
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
We (including me) are getting on in age and don’t understand this whole social media thing either. BUT, that doesn’t mean it won’t potentially sell cars. I personally dislike the look of the new M3/4, but that’s me. Ultimately, the cars will sell or they won’t; BMW will analyze the hell out of the market and they’ll change their advertising and marketing accordingly. Or, hopefully, they’ll make changes to the front of the car!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:19 AM   #66
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I’m not sure if you actually ever been in a KITH Boutique or just did a refresh on the internet. KITH or Ronnie Fieg absolutely makes their own designs. As a matter of fact I would spend (I have) $140 one one of their sweatshirts over some of the crap that’s pushed in stores of other retailers simply because of the quality of materials. Show me another designer who used 500 GSM cotton for sweatshirts and 250 GSM cotton t-shirts? I’ll wait.
You are asking the wrong guy. I wear $30 jeans and $50 sweaters because they get the job done. When they wear out in a year, I donate them and get a new one. I don't care about name brands or fashion trends. I wear New Balances because they are comfortable. I am not a sneaker head nor will I ever will be because I like to get my shoes dirty and worn out by using them. 500 GSM cotton means nothing to me because I can buy 4-5 of similar enough looking items at the retail store made of a polyester cotton blend. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate well made items, and if you want to spend $140 on a sweater, I would never take that away from you. I have a $400 jacket that I love, but those items are few and far between the costco specials I normally get. I will never shop at KITH because a $160 hoodie with a Native American style print in turquoise is not my style. I'm not trying to impress anyone with $55 Lucky Charms gloves. WTF is that anyway?!

Quote:
Additionally, what you refer to as “using someone else’s design” is called a collaboration or collab, which is exactly what the KITH Car is all about. It’s a G80 M4 with an added touch.
Exactly. It doesn't take a genius to use the M colors on the seats then slap a giant KITH logo on the roof. Again, if walmart did it no one would care, but Kith has "followers". It's a cult of personality. It might as well be a Kim Kardashian edition for all I care.

Quote:
I’m not going to argue or challenge how you define social media (everyone has their own opinion) but the fact of the matter is, it’s here to stay and it’s the way that most companies market their products.
I didn't say it was going away.

Quote:
I don’t know BMW’s end game but someone in the company felt the current market strategy was the right way forward. As enthusiasts, we have to finally come to the realization that their market doesn’t revolve around us.
It doesn't have to, and yet I don't have to like it, nor does it have to revolve or even target me. Voicing my opinion isn't going to make it go away. I would not be so narcissistic to think that it will. Nevertheless, I will voice my opinion.

Quote:
I’ve been hearing the same argument (what about their enthusiasts) since I joined this forum 10+ years ago. As many of you have said in this forum, “BMW is marketing to people who can’t afford this car, I’m saying BMW is marketing to people who can in a few years and for longer periods of time, than you or I may be interested in their cars. I don’t know about anyone here but I bought (leased) my first BMW at 23 and bought my second at 24 and guess what? I’ve been leasing and buying BMW’s since (now 41). Paid off my E92 M3, will be adding the G80 to the garage (E92 will be daily) and when I get back stateside will lease my wife her BMW of choice. Again because you don’t agree with their marketing doesn’t make it wrong, and doesn’t make it right as you so wisely stated above.
Again, I understand the strategy. I am also in my 40's, I've had many bimmers and several M cars. As someone who has a career in media, I know that I am no longer the target demographic. In the past 7 years I've had 7 new bimmers. Like you, I will probably be getting another for my wife in 3 months and I will be shopping for my F80 replacement later this year and then a commuter replacement for my i3 next year. I was hoping the G80 would be in my garage regardless of the questionable marketing because in the end ad agencies make the ad and the engineers make the car. Oops, they lost their long time M head engineer Albert Biermann. This brings me to my last, and most important point:

All this effort to capture a new audience with edgy marketing, youth oriented social media friendly strategies, bold designs and "collabs" with influencers, and they forgot about the car itself.

Any questionable marketing strategies would easily forgiven if the G80 looked beautiful and continued the spirit of what the M3/4 has stood for. You don't have to make a car bigger and heavier to appeal to a new audience. That already existed in the M5.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 7
stein_325i25051.00
DAC17170.50
b2nvs2001108.50
AlterZgo1537.50
Mavus2014.50
CanAutM321104.50