01-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #23
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
I'm looking forward to the actual review videos when someone takes it out - gives it a good thrashing and tells us how it goes!
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      01-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #24
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Cool video. I like the idea of the brake tuning. Is the grill itself CF with the CF pack? Still dont like the idea of staggered wheel diameter, and I am not really buying that it helps cornering.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #25
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I walk by a house when I take my daily walk that has had a bunch of BMWs in the driveway and recently a couple of Giulias. Today the owner was outside so I stopped and asked him what he thought of the differences. He loves the Giulia (but he also still likes BMWs and is picking up another one next week) more than the BMW. He said that the ride is much smoother and he recently was chased by an M5 comp that couldn't keep up with him because of its weight (and he isn't driving a Quadrifoglia).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #26
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I walk by a house when I take my daily walk that has had a bunch of BMWs in the driveway and recently a couple of Giulias. Today the owner was outside so I stopped and asked him what he thought of the differences. He loves the Giulia (but he also still likes BMWs and is picking up another one next week) more than the BMW. He said that the ride is much smoother and he recently was chased by an M5 comp that couldn't keep up with him because of its weight (and he isn't driving a Quadrifoglia).
An M5 comp not keeping up with a Giulia (non QF) does not make sense. Unless the M5 was driven by an old grandma or this race happened in a tight parking garage.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 3
brava09767.00
Robin_NL8716.00
      01-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #27
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Now that it's on the front page...release the Kraken!

(And by Kraken I mean people threatening to move to Porsche).
Porsche doesn't really have an M3 competitor do they? By that I mean a small(ish) 4 door sedan like the f80/g80.

As much as I dislike the new G8x, I'd probably take it over the panny from a looks perspective alone.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #28
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Sigh, it's comedy hour lol. At this point in the game, grills are a non issue. The people who are repulsed by the grills have all declared they'll be buying GT3's, GT4's or keeping their F80's. What we care about is this car's performance relative to the F80's.

We expect better lap times, better driving dynamics relative to the F80's, better steering and doubt these cars will disappoint in this regard. If the G80 fail to deliver on those technicalities then we can denounce this new gen M3. So until we have the data to support or refute those metrics, everything else is noise.
      01-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #29
///M Performance
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition LCI

Monstergrill here, Monstergrill there.
But the biggest fails in this video are that the new m3 and m4 are as competition (motorsport line) very chubby with 1800kilos and the steering wheel is to the wrong side
In this size with this kilos it is not an sportscar. Its an luxery ice station wagon.
Maybe only the LCI Touring can rescue my heart <3
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      01-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #30
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkoboe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post

You go from this by Biermann, an actual Motorsport engineer, to that meandering drivel above.

Hair plug Flasch smh a sign of the times.
In 2014, this video is what made me stop debating the purchase of my M4 and pull the trigger. There were so many engineering changes to the car like the rigid subframes and the carbon fiber drive shaft that nobody would ever see, but made the car what it was, a true M car.

Now we get hokey videos of M town, hipsters, and “it is fast.”

It is not my M anymore.
This x 100! Could not agree more.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #31
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Quote:

You go from this by Biermann, an actual Motorsport engineer, to that meandering drivel above.

In 2014, this video is what made me stop debating the purchase of my M4 and pull the trigger. There were so many engineering changes to the car like the rigid subframes and the carbon fiber drive shaft that nobody would ever see, but made the car what it was, a true M car.

Now we get hokey videos of M town, hipsters, and “it is fast.”

It is not my M anymore.
In drivetrain and chassis balance, it was a great M product.

All other areas it sucked balls and was not worthy to wear an M badge

Poor shock damping
Poor traction/stability control system that worked against you.
Lack of traction
Drive slap issues
Brake pads not mating well with steel rotors which caused vibrations
Door sills them creaked over every driveway.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 2
Pinkoboe226.50
      01-04-2021, 11:31 PM   #32
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm looking forward to driving the G8X Ms!
You and me (and judging by the comments lately, ONLY you and me) both.
Youuuuu are not alone.... * Michael Jackson voice* 🤣
      01-05-2021, 02:26 AM   #33
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Performance View Post
But the biggest fails in this video are that the new m3 and m4 are as competition (motorsport line) very chubby with 1800kilos and the steering wheel is to the wrong side
In this size with this kilos it is not an sportscar. Its an luxery ice station wagon.
Maybe only the LCI Touring can resque my heart <3
Agree. Everyone is over the grill and people have decided which camp they're in (base 4 series is the only true horror).

What's going to be a shocker is the G8X XDrive weight. Seems the M5CS will still be a little heavier so I guess it's lightweight?
      01-05-2021, 05:55 AM   #34
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Now we get hokey videos of M town, hipsters, and "it is fast."

It is not my M anymore.

Poor shock damping
Lack of traction
Drive slap issues
Nearly all the issues you're describing did not present in later production years, but your point is well taken.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:23 AM   #35
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

100% I recall this and the 5 or 6 little videos of how the car was lightweight engineered...the CF driveshaft! The stiff chassis. The CF boot on the M4. All epic stuff. Now we have an angry man raging around in an M Performance car looking.... just like a madman and angry WTF.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #36
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Sigh, it's comedy hour lol. At this point in the game, grills are a non issue. The people who are repulsed by the grills have all declared they'll be buying GT3's, GT4's or keeping their F80's. What we care about is this car's performance relative to the F80's.

We expect better lap times, better driving dynamics relative to the F80's, better steering and doubt these cars will disappoint in this regard. If the G80 fail to deliver on those technicalities then we can denounce this new gen M3. So until we have the data to support or refute those metrics, everything else is noise.
What if it exceeds expectations on performance and driving feel? Does that overcome the design and size challenges?
Appreciate 2
DCG781.50
N54MPower283.50
      01-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #37
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Project Manager British 🇬🇧 guy James Thompson. I've been wondering who we should blame for screwing up the exterior look of our favorite car. Can never trust a guy in immaculately clean fake work boots 🥾 shoes.

I do like the staggered Wheels! 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #38
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Quote:

Now that's ☝🏻 funny 😂!

I fully agree.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #39
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post

What if it exceeds expectations on performance and driving feel? Does that overcome the design and size challenges?
The design is a non issue for me. I don't love the grill but that won't deter me from buying one provided it's a better performer than the F80. For now the G80 is my next car after current lease ends next year.
      01-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #40
RinconHeat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Quote:
Now that it's on the front page...release the Kraken!

(And by Kraken I mean people threatening to move to Porsche).
Folks threaten all the time. I'd be willing to bet it's a promise this time around.
It is for me! I'm currently searching for my perfect 991.2 s.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25075.00
      01-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #41
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Performance View Post
Maybe only the LCI Touring can resque my heart <3
Yes!!!

What the heck are these monstrosities? They aren't sports sedans - too big and heavy. They aren't luxury cars. Reliable? Nope. Enjoyable to drive? I suppose, for a certain type of Euro-flavored Mustang driver who enjoys stop light drag races and hand motion activated radio controls. "Lifestyle" product? I don't know, maybe this product fits the 'Jersey Shore' culture and lifestyle. It's ironic how many BMW drivers would express contempt at owning a Buick or Oldsmobile. Yet, these M3/M4s are German versions of those marques.

Oh wait - here's BMW's answer to the new target customer (from my archives).

Bye-bye Bavarian Motor Werks. You were once remarkable. Now, simply annoying.
Attached Images

Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #42
///M4TT
18’ F82 ZCP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F82 ZCP in MGM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It is not my M anymore.

Poor shock damping
Lack of traction
Drive slap issues
Nearly all the issues you're describing did not present in later production years, but your point is well taken.
That's why you wait for the LCI before you B-U-Y.
      01-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #43
N54MPower
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

Quote:
Folks threaten all the time. I'd be willing to bet it's a promise this time around.
The only Porsche anyone looking at cross-shopping against a G8X is a Macan Turbo or base Cayenne. New Porsche GT cars are not close in price to the G8X, and non GT 911's are closer in price to an M5 Competition. In a world of electric cars and SUVs, the M3/M4 offers a unique package and continues to be despite MB, Audi's efforts, etc.

These aren't apples to apple comparisons. They are knee jerk reactions to a change. I get it; humans don't like change. I'm sure BMW M will lose a few customers just as Porsche did when they went from air to water-cooled, but overall I'm willing to bet that BMW will be fine.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3498.00
      01-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #44
RinconHeat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54MPower View Post
Quote:
The only Porsche anyone looking at cross-shopping against a G8X is a Macan Turbo or base Cayenne. New Porsche GT cars are not close in price to the G8X, and non GT 911's are closer in price to an M5 Competition. In a world of electric cars and SUVs, the M3/M4 offers a unique package and continues to be despite MB, Audi's efforts, etc.

These aren't apples to apple comparisons. They are knee jerk reactions to a change. I get it; humans don't like change. I'm sure BMW M will lose a few customers just as Porsche did when they went from air to water-cooled, but overall I'm willing to bet that BMW will be fine.
This simply isn't true. There are plenty of slightly older Porsche models that price comparatively with the hideous new BMW models. Furthermore, nearly ANY professional driver or enthusiast will and have gone on record to say that the 911 and largely the 718 are superior drivers cars (m2cs aside).
Appreciate 0