BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

12-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #67
soulcrft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Sakhir Orange ZCP

I already see the water collecting on those hood scoops.
I'm definitely not crazy about the hood design that's for sure.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #68
darielsantana
Private
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
I can't help but think people are willing this car to become beautiful over time.

I find it ugly but get that ugly cars can still become peoples' favourites. I'm just accepting it and moving on (and notably not buying one).
+1000

I bought a M5 after I saw that horrible thing. I was so excited for a G80 xDrive and they ruined it.

2016 F80 M3 Austin Yellow- Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #69
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
People keep neglecting this review (English- language bias perhaps?).

For me, what got me excited was the pre-reveal video of a 6MT car being driven hard with impressive heel-toe driving.
I really hope that the first real reviews confirm these strengths.

Nonetheless, I'am still suspicious because BMW doesn't really communicate about them but prefers to send dragon ball z kind of clips into the world emphasising and even expanding on the controverse they introduced with the design.

I had at least the impression that with previous generations, they were immediately all into technology and drivers experience. Is this a signal it's no longer their priority?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #70
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

The butt can be trusted but the face is busted...
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #71
speedracerM4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I'm sorry, but the pictures posted convince me that there is no angle on this car that looks good aside maybe from the profile. The wheel gap is enormous, the front end looks like a beaver and the butt end looks like that of a baboon.
Appreciate 6
      12-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #72
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Speaking of weight, are we also forgetting that the M2CS weighs close to as much as a no option E92 M3?
How much does a E93 M3 weigh? Looks like 3800lbs compared to the 3600lb M2 CS.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #73
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaalrasha View Post
Every new M3 car launch had people being skeptical... people who didn't like the car when it was first shown / announced and everything ... happens all the time.

While i remember people not liking the new car before, it's the first time so many people actually really still hates it... And the monkey marketing around doesn't help either... I think it's pretty clear BMW is trying to change its target consumers. While i know tones of doctor / dentists / layers buying a sleek F82 with m performance parts, mainly just for show, these guys for sure ain't gonna take and G80 / 82 with performance part, they would look like ricer boys.
Nah man. I was considering keeping my e92 until I saw the M4 concept. There was no doubt about the looks. Turbos yes but not the look.
Agreed. I can't ever recall people complaining about the look and styling of a M3 before.

Don't think it happens for ferraris, porsches and lambos each time they release a car and their sales keep going up. BMW leadership must think they know something the rest of the industry doesn't. I hope they are right.
Appreciate 2
KoenG1417.50
stein_325i25051.00
      12-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #74
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaalrasha View Post
Every new M3 car launch had people being skeptical... people who didn't like the car when it was first shown / announced and everything ... happens all the time.

While i remember people not liking the new car before, it's the first time so many people actually really still hates it... And the monkey marketing around doesn't help either... I think it's pretty clear BMW is trying to change its target consumers. While i know tones of doctor / dentists / layers buying a sleek F82 with m performance parts, mainly just for show, these guys for sure ain't gonna take and G80 / 82 with performance part, they would look like ricer boys.
Nah man. I was considering keeping my e92 until I saw the M4 concept. There was no doubt about the looks. Turbos yes but not the look.
Agreed. I can't ever recall people complaining about the look and styling of a M3 before.

Don't think it happens for ferraris, porsches and lambos each time they release a car and their sales keep going up. BMW leadership must think they know something the rest of the industry doesn't. I hope they are right.
Yes and no.

Had they kept the same style as the last front end, I'm sure people would have barked that they need to refresh their styling etc.

Like it or not, they jumped off the deep end and I like that they at least took a shot at it. I also don't think it's that bad and overall, it's a much better car for those of us who don't care about weight/track issues. Better tech, nicer interior, overall jump to the next level.

I'm more surprised that there isn't more of an uproar at the pricing vs the front end.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #75
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockArrival View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
There is also a history here where a truly terrible photo leaked first that for sure didn't help set the tone. That said the extent of judgment before the car has been seen IRL has been unprecedented and the same is now happening to the driving dynamics. In the end my guess is still that all will be fine and it will be seen as a worthy M car in all aspects.
I really don't understand how the driving dynamics are getting poo-poo'd all while we watch the same engine in the X3M just crushing it!

She really doesn't photo well though.
Some care about more than 0 to 60 times :
Totally agree! I never think to myself how fast can I get to 60. I tend to be quite conservative with my ///M3. Every so often I push it on the highway, but I definitely don't abuse the vehicle. I have always been one who looks at vehicles from an aesthetic point of view, and for me the new G8x just doesn't exemplify what the ///M division should be. But again, maybe I need to see one for myself as well. :
Why even get an M car if you don't drive it like it's supposed to be driven?
Because I want one! : And How is it exactly suppose to be driven anyways? :
As I stated before, I do push it on the highway at times, but I tend to be cautious when driving around others. Plus, how fast can you really drive here in the states anyways?? :
      12-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #76
jwr0721
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

For the life of me I don't understand why BMW has gone this direction instead of more towards a retro style, similar to the Peugeot e-Legend.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #77
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Not sure I agree, some are even getting annoyed that we dilute dedicated drag time threads with too much tracking related noise

It is a potential new area of strength for the M3/4 though so it’s natural there is some excitement over it.
That's also another disruptive change we saw during 2020. Forum is more excited for straight line performance while M used to be all about vehicle dynamics.

BMW M was proud to announce in 1993 that the e36 M3 only had 236ftlb unlike the MB C36 amg. This allowed for light weight build and lower inertion driveline with much better dynamic responses. Also the car was clearly more nimble and setting new standards in yaw dynamics back then. Even the latest F80 made this a priority, while the engine was also a real hammer wrt torque. With smart light weight build, it could combine dynamics with torque.

Now, we discuss mainly about 400m drag races between a mixture of highly tuned frankenstein cars without any warranty.

BTW just got a mail from my dealer, he states when I want a "dynamic performance oriented BMW", I certainly have to check out the X range! LOL!
Appreciate 1
lcs195636.00
      12-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #78
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Look, man, it's simple.
If all opinions were identically positive, this place would get boring real fast.
If you do not wish to read negative opinions about a car you personally like - on a public Internet forum, mind you - well, you can go ahead and create a G8x-specific worship forum that only bum lickers could have access to. Places like that already exist so you wouldn't be the first one.
Wow. Way to completely miss my point. I already said everyone’s entitled to their opinions and post away to your heart’s content. Doesn’t bother me much. I just observe these posts to try to understand human nature.

But you never answered my question... which is why do people incessantly post the same old tired criticisms in every single thread about a car they hate? Are they gluttons for punishment? Do they actually want to try to convince others to change their minds and join the hate the G8x tribe? Is it misery loves company? At this point, I couldn’t give 2 fucks if people like the looks or not. I’ll admit at one point, it was annoying reading the negative posts in every thread. Now the hate is just background noise and something that I pity the haters for... because I know it must feel bad for them to carry so much hate in their hearts... about a car that they have no desire to buy, no less!

I read the “anybody got kicked out of the G8x forum” thread over on the F80 forum for entertainment. It’s so interesting to see how worked up people get over trivial shit and to see how the hate morphs and evolves over time and to see how often people post and whether the hate dies down and who picks up the torch and runs with it. Truly fascinating stuff from a sociological perspective.

Seriously, life is too short to spend that much effort to actively seek out opportunities to spew hate over and over again. It’s mentally unhealthy. And, in this pandemic stricken and politically and socially divided world, there are already plenty of things to hate on and tear apart our society over. Why must we also do this about something as trivial as a car?
Appreciate 6
Ikester192120.50
BimmerFix1358.00
Scorp!on1510.00
russell21147.00
M3AWD3178.00
khanyam4801.50
      12-23-2020, 11:33 PM   #79
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

That interior would look bitchin in an Alpine White build
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #80
russell21
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 440i

I bought a m440i I know it's not the m4 but I totally love it you have to see it in person because pictures don't do it justice
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Scorp!on1510.00
AlterZgo1537.50
khanyam4801.50
      12-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #81
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

The new cars are beautiful in some people's eyes, but consensus is that they don't look good in pictures... Still think the M4 is way better than the 4, i can't get over the audi side profile look on both ... the side line under the door handle starts nowhere to go nowhere it's just been forced across the door for no real purpose, for me the side is worse than the front actually (i've seen 4 series in the flesh).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #82
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Quote:
Look, man, it's simple.
If all opinions were identically positive, this place would get boring real fast.
If you do not wish to read negative opinions about a car you personally like - on a public Internet forum, mind you - well, you can go ahead and create a G8x-specific worship forum that only bum lickers could have access to. Places like that already exist so you wouldn't be the first one.
Wow. Way to completely miss my point. I already said everyone’s entitled to their opinions and post away to your heart’s content. Doesn’t bother me much. I just observe these posts to try to understand human nature.

But you never answered my question... which is why do people incessantly post the same old tired criticisms in every single thread about a car they hate? Are they gluttons for punishment? Do they actually want to try to convince others to change their minds and join the hate the G8x tribe? Is it misery loves company? At this point, I couldn’t give 2 fucks if people like the looks or not. I’ll admit at one point, it was annoying reading the negative posts in every thread. Now the hate is just background noise and something that I pity the haters for... because I know it must feel bad for them to carry so much hate in their hearts... about a car that they have no desire to buy, no less!

I read the “anybody got kicked out of the G8x forum” thread over on the F80 forum for entertainment. It’s so interesting to see how worked up people get over trivial shit and to see how the hate morphs and evolves over time and to see how often people post and whether the hate dies down and who picks up the torch and runs with it. Truly fascinating stuff from a sociological perspective.

Seriously, life is too short to spend that much effort to actively seek out opportunities to spew hate over and over again. It’s mentally unhealthy. And, in this pandemic stricken and politically and socially divided world, there are already plenty of things to hate on and tear apart our society over. Why must we also do this about something as trivial as a car?
We need to give the haters their own subforum!

I am not afraid to criticize even a car that I love or own, but if i hate a car I express my opinion once or twice and get over it and move on. I have better things to focus on.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 3
russell21147.00
AlterZgo1537.50
khanyam4801.50
      12-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #83
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I really curious to know why people who clearly despise this car continually come to read these threads and post their opinions over and over again. There's that thread in the F80 forum for haters to go hog wild with the hate. Why not just post there? Does hating on this car in every thread really add to the discussion at this point? If I didn't like something, I wouldn't keep going back to look at it or reading about it or caring about it. I'd move on.

I have zero interest in BMW SUVs (other than the XM3/4) or the 7 series so I never click on any front page stories on BMW SUVs or 7 series cars or participate in those forums. Just wondering what is the psychology for people who hate something to keep coming back to stare at it and talk about it incessanty and continually tell people their opinions about how bad the car looks and speculating about how bad it will drive when no one's really tested/driven one yet and there have been no actual real driving tests by any respected automotive journalists.

Reminds me about the absolute hate people spewed about the M2 when specs were released and it was pretty much the same weight as an M3. People were apoplectic... yet today, the M2, M2 comp and M2 CS are considered the best M cars BMW has produced in the last 10+ yrs almost universally.

And please... I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and please post away if it makes you feel better, but I'm genuinely curious why you would do that if you hate the car so much.
Look, man, it's simple.

Everybody has got an opinion. Opinions are like buttholes - everyone has a butthole. We are still, as far as I know, allowed to voice our opinions on this forum freely (with the exception of stupid occasional bans).

The BMW M3 is THE quintessential BMW and so we all here are passionate about any generation M3 that comes out. This means a lot of people with opinions are going to make comments about it. This means that there are going to be differing opinions; positive, negative and everything in between.

And it is not only the M3 that a large percentage of enthusiasts is worried about. It's the whole direction BMW is taking right now with their cars and marketing strategies that many just cannot associate with. They're concerned. It's like seeing a close person of yours spiralling into problems that they caused themselves.

The fact is this M3/4 does not have much going for it on paper. Even BMW secretly admits this by somehow omitting technical details about it in their press and commercial materials. They'd rather stir shit up by focusing on the grilles and put screaming monkeys in official launch films and make it look like the M3 is now rather a lifestyle look-at-me-I-drive-an-M3 choice.

And you can spin this any way you want, this thing does not look as good as your current F80. And it's not just the kidneys - it's that they got rid of the Hoffmeister Kink, the sharp shoulder line on the side of the car, made it look overcomplicated, bloated and they tried so hard to make it interesting and unique that they... ended up with a car that does not look like a BMW at all. Lexus RC F comes to mind.

And it's much heavier - too heavy for an M3. And it's got a laggier engine, no DCT, and a tiny cheap brake caliper. And you know it.

It's just about whether you tolerate it or not, and that's up to everybody because again, everybody's opinion, taste and preferences are diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
What about this post makes it news worthy? Hell make a post from someone not liking the car and make it news worthy as well.

The entire G8x forum is so contrived.
So true. A more negative post would not make it to the front page. Bimmerpost should rather bring back Car of the Month awards and other stuff to get the community going again like in the E9x days.

I understand why the people are vocal about this vehicle. It's the g8x which replaces the model we have always bought and enjoyed. I have owned every redesign since the 1999 e36, and I have never disliked the new model so much that it steered me away from buying one. This redesign was so radical that it moved a lot of people away from it, just look at their M performance parts for the g8x 🤢

I enjoy reading an unbiased forum, and for the most part it's not hate I read, it's disappointment. Will some minds change once they can actually drive one and maybe x-drive comes out; possibly. I haven't written off the car myself, I'm caught in the limbo most of us are in that saw the M8 release and never thought the g8x would go so wild in the redesign.

To those that love the car, good for you. There's no hate or jealousy, we aren't 1992 Civic drivers that come on here to troll, we are happy for you. Go buy it and make some in-depth reviews, we would love to see them.

Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 7
KoenG1417.50
stein_325i25051.00
M3AWD3178.00
AlterZgo1537.50
yousefnjr6115.00
Mavus2014.50
      12-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #84
apirumann
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 99 E46 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAlpine View Post
I understand why the people are vocal about this vehicle. It's the g8x which replaces the model we have always bought and enjoyed. I have owned every redesign since the 1999 e36, and I have never disliked the new model so much that it steered me away from buying one. This redesign was so radical that it moved a lot of people away from it, just look at their M performance parts for the g8x 🤢

I enjoy reading an unbiased forum, and for the most part it's not hate I read, it's disappointment. Will some minds change once they can actually drive one and maybe x-drive comes out; possibly. I haven't written off the car myself, I'm caught in the limbo most of us are in that saw the M8 release and never thought the g8x would go so wild in the redesign.

To those that love the car, good for you. There's no hate or jealousy, we aren't 1992 Civic drivers that come on here to troll, we are happy for you. Go buy it and make some in-depth reviews, we would love to see them.

^ This!

I am relieved to see adults care to share their opinion on this forum too.

When G8x came out, I was so disappointed. Then I watched M Town, got disappointed more.

I was at the dealership yesterday picking up some parts. After I was done, I checked out the new M440i in white. I am one of the bunch who criticizes the new design the most. I even suggested the design team should be fired but... seeing the car in flesh, changed my mind. The car does not look weird like in the photos. The lines that look so confusing and contradicting in the photos are really not there. I agree with whoever said it was not photogenic. That is so true. I do not think I can express this in words, you just need to see the car in person. White is not even a car color I like. I only saw the car in the showroom and sat in it. So it may not look that good outside, I do not know yet. Inside is spacious for a 6' 1" guy but not very comfortable and some interior elements look a bit tacky and cheap. I did not drive the car so I don't know how it handles. If it handles like a BMW, I may have a tough time deciding between F8x and G8x.
Appreciate 1
russell21147.00
      12-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #85
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:

Iirc it was “labia” front bumper, the hood line, and headlights connected to the grill. Wasn’t as polarizing as the g80 though that’s for sure.

Interesting about Porsche, I think that sneak peak of the new GT3 has these same hood indents a la Charger/G80. Must be a thing for designers now. Although to be fair to Porsche it looks like there’s a functional vent in there.

12-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #86
2008e92328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Like the interior, that's about it. It doesn't matter though, it's not like I could afford one anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #87
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Why even get an M car if you don't drive it like it's supposed to be driven?
The more expensive a car is the more this is the outcome.
      12-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #88
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Raptor, 2008 Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
This car has some weird photo angles to it, but overall it is a nice looking car and takes cues from the old combined with the new and moving in a new direction, but as always looks are subjective and some will like it some won't but i doubt the next iteration will have this grill and not because of amount of negativity surrounding the car, and the grill but because the next M will probably be Phev or probably full EV where the grill no longer has a point in existing. And will be redesigned accordingly, unless they want to take advantage of the grill and put all radars and tech behind it then it will probably be transparent grill from the inside so the tech will work behind the grill.

If we are talking about a 8 year cycle of cars before a new model appears, then that will put us at year 2029 or 2030 if this car starts rolling out around 2021 that will hit the target for when a lot of countries will have already forbidden sales of new ICE engines and at this point there won't be anymore development of new ICE engines. It is a waste of money for car companies to keep putting R&D money in to ICE engines no matter how efficient they become they are still burning fuel and releasing carbon dioxide and still needs oil drilling and refinement to be converted in to fuel then transported on massive ships & trucks to fuel stations and this is beating a dead horse pretty much at year 2030-2040 that doesn't mean that all ICE cars are gone by 2030 that won't happen but new cars wont be sold with ICE engines, that is for sure.
I completely agree that this could be the last iteration Of a 500 horsepower ICE 3 series. The aftermarket will fill in the "I hate the front grill" with options in the near future.

For everyone that hates it, simple solution, buy something else.
Appreciate 0