BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

08-19-2019, 04:43 AM   #23
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I'm waiting for the Z06 next year. Excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #24
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I'm waiting for the Z06 next year. Excited.
Agreed, the Z06 should look very interesting and will be available by the time M4 hits. The second year should also allow them time to work out some kinks in the new C8. Even the current gen C7 Z06 can keep up with a Huracan and 458 when I drove them, and was very thrilling.
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #25
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

https://www.motortrend.com/news/c8-c...win-turbo-v-8/

Take my money.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #26
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
If they'd just put on mounting points for roof bars then I'm so bailing from the next M4.

(Need some way to carry 2 bikes and 2 cats ... roof bars can solve the first problem, but not so much the second!)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #27
///Mthusiast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Why would anyone buy an M4 over a C8?

Genuine question. It's not practicality cause let's be honest, if you really care about having more than one passenger you're not going to buy an M4.

Interior quality? I'll give you that one, but just by a hair. American car makers have made huge strides in interior fit and finish in the past few years, while BMW interiors look absolutely the same as they did 4 years ago.

Don't even get me started on the looks. I think in the past it was a toss up. I truly think F8x and E9x gen M cars looked amazing; understated but aggressive. If it's going to look anything like the G80 prototype, it's gonna be an absolute turd in the styling department. Plus, BMW is not filling me with confidence given their latest abomination that is the 2GC.

Obligatory picture because I love this thing. Good on Chevy for completely shaking up this market.

[IMG]https://st-automobilemag-com.cdn.amp...ound%7C660:371[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:34 PM   #28
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mthusiast View Post
Genuine question. It's not practicality cause let's be honest, if you really care about having more than one passenger you're not going to buy an M4.
Nonsense. We only have one parking space and I need a car that is fun on the track, good for commuting and I can (very) occasionally take a couple of extra adults in the back. More often I need to transport 2 cat carriers to the vet.

If they hadn't screwed up the roof rack mounts then I used to carry 2 bikes, and occasionally two 24' long single sculls on the roof of my E92. Now I have a 'stealth hitch' on the F82 to take a hitch-mount bike carrier.

Try doing any of that with a C8, or a Porsche. (If I could then I definitely would!)

Last edited by pbar; 10-17-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #29
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Kinda comes down to personal choice. I think the M8 would be more of a competitor to this then the M4 (despite it being a land yacht). But I do like that companies are now setting a fire under the luxury markets ass. Being that you can get the C8 with so much for 60k, really makes you question is it worth going upscale seeing how much less you get for the same price.

Now this by no means says that Chevy is matching the luxury/exotic market by any means but for value they're playing a strong hand right now.
      10-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #30
Mdoa
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Simple - Stick Shift
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      10-17-2019, 10:56 PM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

Interior quality? I'll give you that one, but just by a hair. American car makers have made huge strides in interior fit and finish in the past few years, while BMW interiors look absolutely the same as they did 4 years ago.

Don't even get me started on the looks. I think in the past it was a toss up. I truly think F8x and E9x gen M cars looked amazing; understated but aggressive. If it's going to look anything like the G80 prototype, it's gonna be an absolute turd in the styling department. Plus, BMW is not filling me with confidence given their latest abomination that is the 2GC.

Obligatory picture because I love this thing. Good on Chevy for completely shaking up this market.

I have no desire to own a Chevy, and if I'm going to give up usable back seats and decent trunk space, I'll be in a 911 GT3. Nothing about the new C8 is enticing enough for me to buy it despite it looking pretty good (...although I still prefer the C6 Z06).
Appreciate 1
Rxpert186.50
      10-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #32
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

What is that? Looks kind a like a lambo.

Anyway, totally personal. If there are some bmw fan boys rooming around on the Chevy boards to ask why you would buy a Chevy, send them away
      10-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #33
///Mthusiast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

I guess the form factor does come with an extra bit of practicality. Mounting roof racks, tossing stuff to carry around in the backseats, likely maneuvering around town too.

Z06 (at least ZR1) is rumored to have a 5.5L DOHC flat-plane crank V8 - C8.R engine needs to be in a production vehicle for homologation rules. If this comes to fruition, that would be game over for a lot of these luxury sports cars in its price range..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #34
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
I was about to buy 2020 M4 because I think the design is perfect and just what I like about BMW, but after the introduction of C8 convertible, I'm convinced it's time to buy a corvette. I didn't buy the c7 because of interior design, but C8 is just perfect for my taste, especially considering the price! I read every single thread about M4 here and that says a lot. I truly love the car, but C8 makes more sense to me. Can't wait until mine arrives next year.
      10-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #35
Mdoa
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
I was about to buy 2020 M4 because I think the design is perfect and just what I like about BMW, but after the introduction of C8 convertible, I'm convinced it's time to buy a corvette. I didn't buy the c7 because of interior design, but C8 is just perfect for my taste, especially considering the price! I read every single thread about M4 here and that says a lot. I truly love the car, but C8 makes more sense to me. Can't wait until mine arrives next year.
So which one you are leaning toward?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #36
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
If they'd just put on mounting points for roof bars then I'm so bailing from the next M4.

(Need some way to carry 2 bikes and 2 cats ... roof bars can solve the first problem, but not so much the second!)
www.seasucker.com

No need for traditional mount points, but you may prefer a traditional hard mount which I understand.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #37
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
www.seasucker.com

No need for traditional mount points, but you may prefer a traditional hard mount which I understand.
OT, but Seasuckers for 2 bikes is a lot of money and a good way to pull off your CF roof ;-)

The stealth hitch (https://stealthhitches.com/) was definitely more sturdy and <$500. Took me about 2 hours to fit, but then I can remove/install the invisible hitch part in 10 seconds.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #38
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

- Manual transmission is the big one, IMO.

- Having the ability to transport 3 passengers at least occasionally is HUGE compared to never being able to transport more than 1.

- More cargo space.

- Better fit and finish.

- Simply better as a daily driver in terms of luxury (since let's be honest, most people buy M3/M4s as over-priced daily drivers).

- The C8 has a terrible cockpit design. Looks like it was designed by a child.

All that said, if I wanted an automatic car, I'd definitely get the C8Z LT3 over the M4. It's just too good of a driver's car and it's going to be FAST.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #39
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

]
With an opening statement like that I suspect I'm wasting time explaining it. But as the interwebs are around forever I'll break it out

The list is VERY long...

The M3 and M4 are mechanically identical, so you choose an M4 for aesthetics. So you'd really be comparing the C8 to both the M3 and M4.

Off the top of my head:

-4 or 5 seats vs 2. No matter how annoying it is to put passengers in the back of a coupe it is a lot easier than stuffing those passengers into the frunk of a C8 (picture that, please)

-As they weigh the same, many will prefer having the ability to carry 4/5 people over the 'dedicated sports car' that somehow is as much of a porker but has less trunk space and 2/3 people less capacity

-Because if all you cared about were 0-60 times you'd have a Tesla. I could care less that the C8 gets to 60 in under 3 seconds. And I'd bet the G80 AWD will also get there in under 3 seconds if ruling stoplights is your thing

-Because you can easily own a M3/4 as your only car. You can carry a twin mattress in the back if you bring down the seats. You can take your kids to school. It's pretty difficult to have any two seater as your only car

-Because most of the time we're driving in regular roads. So the added performance of the C8 weighs against the limitations a 2 door 2 seat sportscar have. I find the precision and feel of all controls and attention to detail of BMW vs GM during normal driving to be a strong proposition towards the M - but of course, perhaps you don't notice/appreciate the difference.

-Because we want normal steering wheels

-Because some of us know that mid engined cars are significantly harder to drive at the limit than front engined ones

-Because when I take an M3 in for service I can leave with a X3 m40i. Service is annoying enough without getting some piece of crap as my rental. I drive rentals often enough as I travel for work. No, thank you!

-Because Chevy engages in too much 'check the box itis'. Ohh now they have a DCT... but have you read the reviews? I'd happily bet money the 'automatic' of the G80 will still be better. The specific implementation of technology is as important as the tech itself!

-Because you can fit 4 tires in the back of an M3/4, so you can drive your kids to school during the week then throw some slicks on the car for the weekend track event. Without having to trailer and have a trailer+tow vehicle handy

-Because you can still get the M3/4 with a manual and you like manuals

-Because some recognize that the 'leaps and bounds' of advancement in making interiors not be horrible pieces of shit is just like Audi RS and their efforts to make their cars not be understeering pigs: it's just that, an effort. I recall reading how the C7 interior blahblahblah. Well now it's been out for years and people can recognize it is what it is

-Because I want to be able to turn off the dash screen at night and (shocker) still be able to change the volume/station/song without having the screen turn back on!

-Because the C7 Z51 overheated twice while a magazine had it and did a 'spirited mountain drive'. Not the Z06, the regular Z51 C7. Cars should not be able to be overheated on the street, period

-Because they released the C7 Z06 that heatsoaks after one hard lap. Then excused it because it doesn't have enough frontal area for proper cooling. If you can't refrigerate your 650hp car well, don't release it with 650hp. That they felt this was acceptable tells you a whole lot about Chevy

-Because I've read the Motortrend and Road&Track reviews, and don't want to buy a Z51 equipped C8 with "plowing understeer", supposedly dialed in on purpose because Chevy knows the car is now harder to handle due to being mid-engine. Don't remember that level of understeer from my time behind the wheel at the track with a cayman GT4 or at the street with a boxter...

-Because some don't need a wall separating them from their codriver. I guess if your codriver is a zombie it could come in handy, for all other cases no thank you

From mags that are openly stated fans:

That said, we’re left with a few impressions about the transmission that we think will endure even once it receives final production software. The good news is that the Corvette’s first-ever 8-speed dual-clutch automatic moves the car off the line smoothly, and shifts are executed with less of a delay than with the old 8-speed automatic. And then there’s the less-than-good news: we doubt, even once it’s in production tune, that the Tremec dual-clutch will respond to shift commands as quickly as the DCTs from Porsche, McLaren, or Lamborghini. Ditto with actual shift times. This transmission, at least in preproduction trim, seems a good ways off the best.

Pulling 1.03 g of skidpad grip seems fine—until you realize that the base C7 Z51 managed 1.08 g six years ago. And in that car, the tester’s notes didn’t complain of plowing understeer.

Since understeer can be interpreted as “stability,” several of our editors suspected that this handling characteristic may have been engineered in on purpose by GM to ensure that C8 buyers who have never driven a mid-engine car won’t immediately wrap it around a tree. I doubt this. The violent lifts, spazzy steering flicks, and brake-stabs required to make the Corvette rotate are at odds with the new car’s delicate feel.

The steering doesn’t communicate the handling limits either, neither changing in effort as the front tires fall into understeer nor, more disappointingly, coming alive if the rear end does starts to rotate.

GM’s chassis-tuning track record is coloring our impressions here, but the previous Corvette—as well as the Alpha-platform Camaro, ATS, and CTS—seem to defy the laws of physics at their handling limits. Even if they understeer mildly, those cars’ chassis respond to miniscule additional steering inputs or slight changes in throttle position even at the absolute handling limit, making them continually adjustable. The C8 Corvette doesn’t perform this same magic trick.

Yet. Maybe it’s just a matter of tuning, or tire selection. One GM insider hinted to us that future variants of the Corvette might be less one-dimensional at their handling limits. That will be a welcome upgrade for master-level drivers trained on exotic mid-engine cars. What’s also disappointing is that the 149-foot 70-to-0-mph braking performance stopped short of matching that first C7 Stingray’s 146-foot stop—to say nothing of the several later Stingrays we tested, which stopped as many as 13 feet sooner than that.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 10-23-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #40
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:

Nor comfort. My F80 M3 was barely more comfortable than my GT-R, it's an excessively harsh ride which is supposed to be the trade-off (comfort & utility) you get over sport cars like the Corvette.

BMW has changed from a chassis/suspension champion to a mega-HP monster engine company. There is NO QUESTION that the new Corvette is going to be a more comfortable car to drive on a daily basis - auto journalists are unanimous in raving about the ride quality.

Which leaves utility. You get back seats in the BMW. Yes, this matters to some people. But at this point the performance and comfort concessions you have to make to get the BMW over the Corvette do not warrant the expense - I'd go with the 2-car solution (daily + sports car) rather than go with a tremendously flawed single-car solution like the M3.

I realized just how bad the M3 was when I test drove the Alfa. That Italian car just does everything better across the board with one notable exception: how long it takes to get parts from Italy. Which is why I sold my Quadrifoglio.

But the Corvette? Yes, it looks cheap, especially on the inside. It's not a very good looking car. It's a GM product which means it's probably going to fall apart and catch on fire like everything else they build. But as a driving experience? As something that would be enjoyable and practical enough to use on a daily basis? C8 hands down. HANDS DOWN.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #41
BBoyM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition AW/SO

Garage List
The C8 Corvette will be something special. However, one thing that was alluded to/mentioned earlier, but is often overlooked, is the service/ownership experience. Historically, this is were the Corvette experience falls short. I have always felt it GM/Cheverolet should address this issue. For me, there are certain expectations when buying a luxury/performance vehicle that have not been met to date by GM/Cheverolet (by most of their dealerships) . There are a few dealerships who have addressed the issue. If the Corvette will continue to be sold and serviced through Cheverolet dealerships, I don't see this as a simple solution. Like I said, for me, it's part of the ownership experience.
      11-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #42
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

If BMW does (and it appears very likely they will) go with that monstrosity grille I would definitely go for the Corvette.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #43
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoyM3 View Post
The C8 Corvette will be something special. However, one thing that was alluded to/mentioned earlier, but is often overlooked, is the service/ownership experience. Historically, this is were the Corvette experience falls short. I have always felt it GM/Cheverolet should address this issue. For me, there are certain expectations when buying a luxury/performance vehicle that have not been met to date by GM/Cheverolet (by most of their dealerships) . There are a few dealerships who have addressed the issue. If the Corvette will continue to be sold and serviced through Cheverolet dealerships, I don't see this as a simple solution. Like I said, for me, it's part of the ownership experience.
+1

My biggest fear about owning one of these cars would be having it serviced by mechanics who normally work on the tractor engines in pickup trucks.

But since I'm too embarrassed to be seen walking into a Chevy dealership that's unlikely to happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #44
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Totally understand lusting after its performance and looks, but it's going to be much lower (climbing in and out), much less usable space inside, lower body work (easier to scrape/crack the bumper), etc etc which all are going to be a bit change from the M4/3.
The C8 has an available option that raises the front end a couple of inches. It will even remember up to a thousand locations.

https://youtu.be/f0FBZ7x5jng

That's brilliant. I have a $100 front splitter from eBay on my F32 that I replace a couple of times a year. It's cheaper than repairing scrapes under the chin... or chewing up an expensive carbon fiber piece.
Appreciate 0