BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

12-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #23
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

You guys are right about the going backwards, especially for a daily or regularly driven car. Newer tech and modern turbos are great. Regarding X4M suspension, it's fine on street if you're the only one in the car but as soon as you add passengers you notice "geez this thing is bumpy".

I will say though that it is the handling king of performance SUVs. It truly feels like a heavier M3. On that note, the G8x will certainly feel like an M3 too.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #24
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Time is ruthless to cars even those who were favorites in their time. I’m even hesitant to recommend a 991 of this reason.
I think I actually like the buttons more than the 992 setup.

If I'd stretch to a used 991.2 or 992 it would have to be a Manual car. I drove my DCT M2 vs my friends M/T M2 back to back on track and altough I was faster in my car I had a lot more fun in the M/T.

I had a M/T in my 135i tuned to 550whp and partly sold the car because of that so I wanted to try DCT this time around and alought its a fantastic transmission is does remove some involvment.

I still have to test drive Porsche M/T vs PDK.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #25
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
On that note, the G8x will certainly feel like an M3 too.
Thats scary
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #26
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

So there is the option to run 3 cars? Pickup an M340i or 330i to replace the Civic. Keep the M2 and modify it further for track, or if you fancy a change of scenery pickup something more compromised for the fun car I.e. Evora, Cayman, GT350R etc. Covers all bases without compromise.
Appreciate 3
akhbhaat180.50
PLF693762.50
Bumpinjeep5362.00
      12-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #27
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
So there is the option to run 3 cars? Pickup an M340i or 330i to replace the Civic. Keep the M2 and modify it further for track, or if you fancy a change of scenery pickup something more compromised for the fun car I.e. Evora, Cayman, GT350R etc. Covers all bases without compromise.
Yeah, this. Or just put snows on the M2, as mentioned. Maybe consider the S3/S4 as well.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is, too, since that's roughly what I did after trying to do exactly what you're trying to do: one car to rule them all. Identical requirements, even. You'll pretty much be left with the M3 and RS3/5, as already discussed above...but none of them truly thrilled me from behind the wheel. Obviously, we're all looking at the G80 with curiosity, and I'm mostly sticking around here to see how it pans out (if I can ever get past the horrible aesthetic), but given the size and weight I'm probably hoping against hope...I've autocrossed the M340 and turned big track laps in the M5C/M8C and the slow in, slow out, point-and-shoot muscle car driving style doesn't suit me. In the end, I just kept my old ZHP as a grocery getter (dirt cheap to run and still brilliant on the tight, congested, 35-45 mph roads around my home) and bought a Porsche.

Honestly, the M2 is tough to beat as a one-car-quiver, since it's more fun to drive than the M3 under all conditions, albeit at the cost of some utility (but not too much). Shame we can't get that platform with four doors...it's about the size of an E46 (which, as above, I've been driving in one form or another for decades), so I already know it wouldn't be awkward at all. For a year-round daily driver and occasional back road bomber, I would probably buy one without a second thought.
Montaver2066.50
      12-31-2020, 12:10 AM   #28
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
I read the OP twice. I can't make sense of some of the details/question.

You're having a kid so you are going from 3 cars down to 2 (because the civic isn't up to snuff for the kid)....and now you want a 'do it all' (including track time) car...

*head scratching*

Why not just replace the civic with a $10k-$20k vehicle that fits the bill....why: gain a kid, lose a vehicle, and compromise your 'weekend' 'track car'?? I can't see how it's the money- as your talking about $100k+ vehicles...

*more head scratching*

As it is the M3 is a compromised track car imo (g80 4,000lbs; auto trans; 'do it all'). It sounds like your M2 fit your weekend car bill...Idk, I just can't wrap my head around the premise.

I get it that many people would like a well rounded car that leans towards certain traits- I've been one of them. I just don't get where you're coming from in this 'musical cars' idea given the situation you described. It sounds like you just want to get a new car, and only want 2 vehicles now, and therefore want to dump the civic and M2- if so then there's plenty of well rounded vehicles that CaN be tracked, and fit the other bills— and there's a direct correlation between which bills, to what extent, and the price.
Appreciate 1
Habber3393.00
      12-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #29
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
I read the OP twice. I can't make sense of some of the details/question.

You're having a kid so you are going from 3 cars down to 2 (because the civic isn't up to snuff for the kid)....and now you want a 'do it all' (including track time) car...

*head scratching*

Why not just replace the civic with a $10k-$20k vehicle that fits the bill....why: gain a kid, lose a vehicle, and compromise your 'weekend' 'track car'?? I can't see how it's the money- as your talking about $100k+ vehicles...

*more head scratching*

As it is the M3 is a compromised track car imo (g80 4,000lbs; auto trans; 'do it all'). It sounds like your M2 fit your weekend car bill...Idk, I just can't wrap my head around the premise.

I get it that many people would like a well rounded car that leans towards certain traits- I've been one of them. I just don't get where you're coming from in this 'musical cars' idea given the situation you described. It sounds like you just want to get a new car, and only want 2 vehicles now, and therefore want to dump the civic and M2- if so then there's plenty of well rounded vehicles that CaN be tracked, and fit the other bills— and there's a direct correlation between which bills, to what extent, and the price.
I think it's normal the first post is hard to make sense of, It's like asking the impossible.

I was curious about having more opinions on this idea, it's why I created this thread in the first place.

As more ppl shim in with various experiences I realize that the confusion I feel means there is no absolute best choice. One thing that will clear things up is drive the G80, it should be easier to wrap a head around this afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 08:12 AM   #30
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
If I were you, I'd just slap winter tires on the M2 and use it year round. The M2 you already own is the great all rounder you're looking for. I've been driving RWD ///M cars through all 4-seasons for the last 20-years without issue. I also had my 2 kids (now 7 and 10) owning 2-doors and it has never been a problem for me.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
PLF693762.50
solstice5456.50
      12-31-2020, 08:23 AM   #31
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
If I were you, I'd just slap winter tires on the M2 and use it year round. The M2 you already own is the great all rounder you're looking for. I've been driving RWD ///M cars through all 4-seasons for the last 20-years without issue. I also had my 2 kids (now 7 and 10) owning 2-doors and it has never been a problem for me.
Appreciate your input, my original plan was to continue with M2 until end of summer and decide from there. I also ordered myself a full suspension e-bike to start traveling to my office and construction sites in the summer so using the M2 when a car is needed should be plenty.

This is all resting on the not so final decision that my wife gets rid of her 2000$ civic. She has no desire to drive a car except for a means to go from point A to B, whatever she has to go to work or do groceries she will do with it. Hence why she still has that old car. The Q5 TDI is perfectly fine for her when she needs a car.

I don't feel so good about the newborn traveling in a used up 2007 civic, although plenty of ppl do it, we are in a position were we can have better.

I hope the changes I make to the M2's suspension this winter make me love it because with the awfully roads around here I never really liked the way it rides straight from when I picked it up in the showroom.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #32
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Quote:
Appreciate your input, my original plan was to continue with M2 until end of summer and decide from there. I also ordered myself a full suspension e-bike to start traveling to my office and construction sites in the summer so using the M2 when a car is needed should be plenty.

This is all resting on the not so final decision that my wife gets rid of her 2000$ civic. She has no desire to drive a car except for a means to go from point A to B, whatever she has to go to work or do groceries she will do with it. Hence why she still has that old car. The Q5 TDI is perfectly fine for her when she needs a car.

I don't feel so good about the newborn traveling in a used up 2007 civic, although plenty of ppl do it, we are in a position were we can have better.

I hope the changes I make to the M2's suspension this winter make me love it because with the awfully roads around here I never really liked the way it rides straight from when I picked it up in the showroom.
So it sounds like you aren't very attached to the M2. Keep the Q5, sell the worth nothing civic, cancel the ebike (what is that like $5-10k?), sell the M2 and buy a G80 xDrive. It will certainly be a hoot on track.

There I solved all your woes.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #33
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So it sounds like you aren't very attached to the M2. Keep the Q5, sell the worth nothing civic, cancel the ebike (what is that like $5-10k?), sell the M2 and buy a G80 xDrive. It will certainly be a hoot on track.

There I solved all your woes.

Thanks that me me laugh hahaha !

Unfortunately the e bike is not a nessecity but more a way to get in better shape while making the daily commute more interesting. And it's in pre-release so it's only 2600$ but yeah normally the equivalent can creep to 5-7k.

But yeah I ain't much attached to the M2, I think between the time I baught it and now, the definition of my expectations from the cars I own have changed a bit. Past winter and even now I find myself more and more thinking about really wanting to drive the car, thinking often about it stored under a blanket serving no purpose. Its starting to unerve me in a deeper way.

Up until we get our hands on those G80's it's only speculations, A low option M3 6MT with buckets could be fun even though it's RWD only..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #34
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Hey folks,

I currently own a 2018 M2 and I have specific needs due to changes in my life situation, here is a little resumay:

we currently have 3 cars but are expecting our first child next summer and we plan to get rid of my wife's old Honda civic for safety concern while transporting our future children. She will be using my daily Q5 when needed and I'll switch between "the sportier" car when needed on a daily basis. We also have 2x 55lbs Husky Dogs but will not transport them in that car.

Now here is were it gets more complicated, the M2 is more of a weekend car since I store it in the winter and do around 8-10 track days per summer with it. It's got a Ohlins suspension, AP big brake kit, 18 inch Apex wheels with track day tires, Quick fit pro harness and misc stuff..

So let's list the needs

- Good daily driver
- Great track day car
- Ok/Good family hauler (4 doors)
- AWD (Serious winter here)

In a perfect world M3 wagon would allow to get the dogs in there too but BMW seems dertimined to deny us that pleasure..

Another possiblity is putting winter tires on the M2 witch is not totally out of the question and saves a lot of $..

So any directions or advice is welcome, I think this thread could be a nice discussion for track enthusiasts looking for the sort of do it all car because they are at a point in there life were they don't want to have a track only car on the side or there track days are less than before.
You cannot "have it all" when it comes to kids, dogs, winter weather and track days... not in a single car.

A Q5 and M3 will get you close especially if you aren't towing (which is one of my personal requirements added to your list, so it makes it even harder).

The M3 is a great family (wo)man who does some track days. With the AWD and some winter wheels/tires you'll be in great shape. You'll mostly lose out on the edgier and smaller/sportier aspects of the M2 which is likely a better "drivers car."

Another option is you keep the M2 as your fun/track car and add a third car for commuting & family hauling if you find you really need a second car to fit that bill. If you're getting tired of the M2 then sure, swap it for an M3.

I will say that as much as I love love love the M5/M6/M8... I ended up dropping my M6GC CP bc it's just not fun at low speeds, only when you're tripling+++ the speed limit which is not something I wanted to keep doing. Around town and on the highway it was comfy, but could rarely feel like I was enjoying its potential unless I was going way too fast. I got a Camaro with V8 and stick shift which is loud and fun at any speed. An M2 or M3 definitely can be fun (mostly if it's manual) at most speeds too... even without losing your license and going to jail.

You'll get a million opinions... just do you!

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #35
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Honestly, I think the best course of action would be to keep the Q5, keep the M2, and either purchase some snow wheels/tires for the M2 or buy a cheap AWD car/truck with a 6 speed transmission. That way, you get to keep the size and safety of the Q5. Keep the fun sports/track car in the M2. Get the safety of AWD in the winter and the fun of a manual transmission in the 3rd vehicle.
Or if you decide to just get the snow wheels/tires for the M2, you get to enjoy a sporty car all year round. Which is a win/win in my book.

I don't think the G80 is the answer if you're looking for a do it all + track car. If you're looking at AWD, that's a 4000lbs+ car. With tiny brakes.
The consumables for a track car on something that size and underbraked would be very high. Plus it's the size of a last gen 5 series.
I think it would make a great cruising car, not a dual purpose car like the M3 of old.
      01-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #36
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

@Bumpinjeep

Appreciate your input, what you said about size and weight of the G80 vs M5 rings some bells, I am really curious how it's going to drive because for the price of a new G80 AWD here I will probably be able to buy a very nice CPO F90 M5..

Of course it's going to feel isolated and cushy but what you lose in sportyness you gain in luxury and comfort + that crazy V8 scratches a another kind of hitch..

But then again for that kind of money why not go for a X5 hybrid, m550i or last gen X5M, even better all around vehicle. It's a never ending questioning when you are passionate about cars, I'd just love to drive em all !
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5362.00
      01-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #37
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
You can also go with a Golf R. AWD + Manual+ practicality of a hatchback. Put the rear seats down and bam, you have a place for the dogs. And it's fun to drive, not too show off-y, somewhat classy little car.
It's no M5 by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it's a relatively good option for you and you get to keep your M2 track car.
stein_325i25051.00
      01-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #38
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
You can also go with a Golf R. AWD + Manual+ practicality of a hatchback. Put the rear seats down and bam, you have a place for the dogs. And it's fun to drive, not too show off-y, somewhat classy little car.
It's no M5 by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it's a relatively good option for you and you get to keep your M2 track car.
Doing searchs on Golf R, wich is a very nice suggestion to scratch the manual itch, I stumbled on the MB A35, I was surprised it's available with the AMG Performance Seats and seems to have a very nice drivetrain that's even more track day capable than the Golf R.

A basic build with almost no options is only like 10k more canadian than a golf r
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #39
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Doing searchs on Golf R, wich is a very nice suggestion to scratch the manual itch, I stumbled on the MB A35, I was surprised it's available with the AMG Performance Seats and seems to have a very nice drivetrain that's even more track day capable than the Golf R.

A basic build with almost no options is only like 10k more canadian than a golf r
Sure, but you already have a track car that is much more capable than a A35 or a Golf R. At least with the Golf, you have a car that can serve the purpose of dog delivery, daily fun, affordable, fits in small parking spaces, manual transmission, comfortable, you can take people in it in comfort, etc...
seis-speed2426.00
      01-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #40
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Hey folks,

I currently own a 2018 M2 and I have specific needs due to changes in my life situation, here is a little resumay:

we currently have 3 cars but are expecting our first child next summer and we plan to get rid of my wife's old Honda civic for safety concern while transporting our future children. She will be using my daily Q5 when needed and I'll switch between "the sportier" car when needed on a daily basis. We also have 2x 55lbs Husky Dogs but will not transport them in that car.

Now here is were it gets more complicated, the M2 is more of a weekend car since I store it in the winter and do around 8-10 track days per summer with it. It's got a Ohlins suspension, AP big brake kit, 18 inch Apex wheels with track day tires, Quick fit pro harness and misc stuff..

So let's list the needs

- Good daily driver
- Great track day car
- Ok/Good family hauler (4 doors)
- AWD (Serious winter here)

In a perfect world M3 wagon would allow to get the dogs in there too but BMW seems dertimined to deny us that pleasure..

Another possiblity is putting winter tires on the M2 witch is not totally out of the question and saves a lot of $..

So any directions or advice is welcome, I think this thread could be a nice discussion for track enthusiasts looking for the sort of do it all car because they are at a point in there life were they don't want to have a track only car on the side or there track days are less than before.
One thing to remember, newborn car seats and the rear facing stage for convertible (next step after newborn) are the bulkiest of the car seats you will be buying. They will not fit easily into any car with track aspirations that is smaller than an M3. If you have friends with a young one I would borrow a seat and try setting one up in your m2 to get an idea for what the daily car seat grind will be in a small car. Most talking 911 are thinking toddlers who sit front facing., I sure you will find some who figured out the contortion needed for small cars and newborn seats.

My advice would be
-Keep m2 for track duty and "daddy time"
-Pass Audi to SO
-Get smaller awd sport Sedan or sport suv for daily
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #41
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
One thing to remember, newborn car seats and the rear facing stage for convertible (next step after newborn) are the bulkiest of the car seats you will be buying. They will not fit easily into any car with track aspirations that is smaller than an M3. If you have friends with a young one I would borrow a seat and try setting one up in your m2 to get an idea for what the daily car seat grind will be in a small car. Most talking 911 are thinking toddlers who sit front facing., I sure you will find some who figured out the contortion needed for small cars and newborn seats.

My advice would be
-Keep m2 for track duty and "daddy time"
-Pass Audi to SO
-Get smaller awd sport Sedan or sport suv for daily
Thanks for your input.

After talking to my track buddies today and thinking a lot about it I feel like going G80 route would suit best my need but with some concessions.

One of the reasons to make a move sonner than later is instead of redoing my M2 suspension now and maybe do a part out in less than a year I do it now and car is ready to sell wich may also take some time, who knows.

Ive come to the conclusion that I am ready to make a few concessions to fit all my want/needs.
- G80 (fonctionnal to transport todddler if needed)
- Manual (fills my need for more street engagment/enjoyment)
- RWD (concession but better on track/weight)
- Carbon seats (less comfort but concession for track enjoyment)

My wife will be at home for a full year from July/August so the Audi will be available if there is a big storm for the next winter. There is some cost savings to be had by having only two cars also, plates, fuel, maintenance etc. If I don't like it after a year I just buy another daily and will still have the G80 as weekend/track car wich I will probably be much more tempted to take for joy ride etc. There is also some excitment of discovering the ''new'' thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:20 AM   #42
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

OP welcome to being a dad and a car enthusiast. People handle this in many different ways. I know a mother of three that daily-drives a 1983 911 with a testy clutch....Others will buy a Large Suburban for one kid.

Being a father of 3 and manual transmission fan - The F80/6MT was a sweet spot, I really enjoyed it as a family hauler and did many road trips with my wife and 3 kids no issue. If the new model has roof-rack inserts (people say yes, but I have not seen proof) that will be of great value for family driving. But, it does not solve the one car do it all for winter for me, because I drive to the mountains on steep hills and inclines, so I need an additional vehicle.

My current daily is a Golf R with a cargo box and it has been great actually, it is so much more roomy than you would think, but I am considering a G80 RWD manual and using my off-roader for ski trips....not sure, because I do like my winter driving in something sporty.

Just an FYI - CTV5 is leaked to have AWD/6MT. If this leak is correct, that could be a great car, but it will be more expensive and harder to attain than the G80. I think it is going to be vey popular.

Just some random thoughts from someone who has/is hauling kids around in many different manual trans sporty cars....

Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50
      02-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #43
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

After talking to my track buddies today and thinking a lot about it I feel like going G80 route would suit best my need but with some concessions.

One of the reasons to make a move sonner than later is instead of redoing my M2 suspension now and maybe do a part out in less than a year I do it now and car is ready to sell wich may also take some time, who knows.

Ive come to the conclusion that I am ready to make a few concessions to fit all my want/needs.
- G80 (fonctionnal to transport todddler if needed)
- Manual (fills my need for more street engagment/enjoyment)
- RWD (concession but better on track/weight)
- Carbon seats (less comfort but concession for track enjoyment)

My wife will be at home for a full year from July/August so the Audi will be available if there is a big storm for the next winter. There is some cost savings to be had by having only two cars also, plates, fuel, maintenance etc. If I don't like it after a year I just buy another daily and will still have the G80 as weekend/track car wich I will probably be much more tempted to take for joy ride etc. There is also some excitment of discovering the ''new'' thing.
RS6?
Appreciate 1
Montaver2066.50
      02-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #44
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post

RS6?
Would worry about track consumables (tires, brake pads/discs)

That thing is heavy, I wrote to BMW Canada to pressure them for an M3 Touring
Appreciate 0