G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

01-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #221
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Yes, BMWblog is partial towards BMW. BMWblog is referring to the AWD when it mentioned the G8X will be a 4000 lb car.

"So when equipped with an automatic and all-wheel drive, the new BMW M3 and M4 tip the scales dangerously close to 1,800 kg (4,000-ish lbs)." https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/12/u...ing-bmw-m3-m4/

"The G82 BMW M4 used in this video was the lightest possible M4 possible, being a manual, rear-wheel drive car. When equipped with the eight-speed automatic gearbox, all-wheel drive and the standard seats, the G82 M4 gets actually crests just north of the 1,800-ish (4,000 lb) mark. So, yes, the manual M4 is barely heavier than the old M4 and that’s very good, if properly equipped. But the majority of M3 and M4 customers will get the auto/all-wheel drive car and those cars are significantly heavier (some markets, such as the UK, will only be getting those versions for now)." https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/11/g82-bmw-m4-heavier/
With AWD I wouldn't be surprised to see it around 4000lb. Again, AWD was always going to have a huge weight penalty, it's like that in every single car where it's available.
Wanting AWD not to weigh is like wanting rain not to wet you. It is simply not possible. Whoever is surprised at AWD cars weighing much more than RWD cars may also be surprised Santa doesn't exist, or that jumping off tall things can hurt you.

The auto to 6MT is a known entity, it's been beaten to death already. It's 55lb. We don't need to wonder what an auto G8X weighs, because it weighs 55lb more than the 6MT one.

The fact that 'most cars will be AWD' is irrelevant. If some idiot got AWD and all the weight-increasing options (but none of the lightening ones) and has a 4k lb car when they wanted lightness above all, well, that's what happens when you load weight adding options to a car --> it weighs more. Shouldn't BMW giving people the option of speccing either lighter or heavier versions of the car be a good thing?

The elephant in the room is that weight is mostly a factor for people who want to track seriously. On the street an M5comp weighs ~4400lb and handles incredibly well, it is almost scary.
The track people, well guess what, they'll try to spec a lightweight car. Because weight is a factor for them.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-14-2021 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #222
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Ok, I understand 50/50 is not ideal, but it's preferable to 53 front/47 rear?
As a former M2 owner and current 1M owner, as you add power it becomes almost impossible to achieve weight balance. The S55 that went into the M2 Comp made the Comp heavier overall and the front of the car supporting the engine made the weight balance change on the car with the front weight increasing substantially.

The bigger more powerful engine that requires other features will always add weight. The constant increase in HP has made the cars heavier and affected the weight balance with so many components being added to the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #223
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
When someone shows a ridiculous weight like that it is clear there's a mistake.
When Audi took out the RS4 they also stated a DIN weight of like 3500lb which was later corrected to its real weight. That's fine. Mistakes certainly happen.

I'm using the DIN weight to compare options like 6MT vs 8AT, G82 vs G80, etc. The G8X weight I'm taking straight from the video.

In the case of the F8X the DIN weight seems to match up quite nicely with my car. The G8X BMW weighed was on corner scales, like my car, so unless gravity was reversed or HK speakers weigh 50lb and my CF hood, prop shaft and no center console add up to nothing, I feel we have a good proxy for its weight.

I'm more than happy to bet that the G8X RWD is not going to gain 250lb more than my CS, more or less apples to apples comparison between them [midpoint of the 200-300lb range you mentioned earlier]

The constant comments of 'we don't know what the options of the G8X are' are beating a dead horse. It may or may not have HK because we don't know if that's standard in Germany. Their mention of 'lightweight build' tell me no Exec package. Still, we do know my options and my car was weighed the same way that car was weighed.
It's not an error. The DIN standards were different then.

Your car being close to the DIN standard does not prove the DIN weights are absolutes. I demonstrated multiple cases where cars weighed by reliable sources came lower than the (new standard) DIN weight, but you conveniently choose to ignore that point. This OP in this very thread also shows a G82 weighing less than the DIN weight .

As for your own M3cs, it seems to be the "odd ball" here, being on the (very) high side. In fact even heavier than the M3 competition C&D weighed at 3,651lb despite the weight reduction elements your car has (wheels, hood, HVAC).

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #224
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

Your car being close to the DIN standard does not prove the DIN weights are absolutes. I demonstrated multiple cases where cars weighed by reliable sources came lower than the (new standard) DIN weight, but you conveniently choose to ignore that point. This OP in this very thread also shows a G82 weighing less than the DIN weight .

As for your own M3cs, it seems to be the "odd ball" here, being on the (very) high side. In fact even heavier than the M3 competition C&D weighed at 3,651lb despite the weight reduction elements your car has (wheels, hood, HVAC).
DIN weight rules have indeed changed throughout the years. We can see that in the G8X published weights for example.
If you think a non GTS F8X was ever produced that with a full tank weighed 3300lb that's fine, but I'll continue to assume it's a mistake.

DIN weights are not useless. I look at the 6MT to 8AT G82 and see they differ by 55lb, so until I see otherwise I will assume that is the delta. They also serve to tell us what the F80 to the F82 weight delta is, the 6MT to DCT, etc etc.

People have been telling me my cars weights are outliers for quite a few years.
It started with the E46, where everyone swears it's impossible it could weigh 3500lb.
Then I got an E9X, weighed it back to back with the E46 and it showed 3603lb. And it's not the minimum spec either, ZCP wheels are heavy and it also has heated seats and the upgraded sound system.
Now I've weighed my F80 CS and I'm also being told it's an outlier... perhaps the outlier talk is simply because I weigh my cars without giving them any advantages like removing manuals, parts that are meant to go in the car, without removing a few gallons from the gas tank. etc.
A forum member owns corner scales and regularly weighs people's cars. If you look at his weights, in the 'notes' section every single person except my cars have little excuses added, for example:
-F80 CS M3... with TEAL16 forged wheels and CCBs, a little under half a tank
-F82 6MT with no gas
-E46M3 with ARC8 wheels and rear seats removed, almost full tank
the list goes on forever

I click on the link provided and it shows a F80 ZCP with carbon-ceramic brakes. Besides that, I don't see anywhere it was weighed with a full tank

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-14-2021 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #225
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DIN weight rules have indeed changed throughout the years. We can see that in the G8X published weights for example.
If you think a non GTS F8X was ever produced that with a full tank weighed 3300lb that's fine, but I'll continue to assume it's a mistake.

DIN weights are not useless. I look at the 6MT to 8AT G82 and see they differ by 55lb, so until I see otherwise I will assume that is the delta. They also serve to tell us what the F80 to the F82 weight delta is, the 6MT to DCT, etc etc.

It started with the E46, where everyone swears it's impossible it could weigh 3500lb.
Then I got an E9X, weighed it back to back with the E46 and it showed 3603lb. And it's not the minimum spec either, ZCP wheels are heavy and it also has heated seats and the upgraded sound system.
Now I've weighed my F80 CS and I'm also being told it's an outlier... perhaps the outlier talk is simply because I weigh my cars without giving them any advantages like removing manuals, parts that are meant to go in the car, without removing a few gallons from the gas tank. etc.
A forum member owns corner scales and regularly weighs people's cars. If you look at his weights, in the 'notes' section every single person except my cars have little excuses added, for example:
-F82 6MT with no gas
the list goes on forever

I click on the link provided and it shows a F80 ZCP with carbon-ceramic brakes. Besides that, I don't see anywhere it was weighed with a full tank
I never said I believed any F82 on the road would weigh 3,300lb, not even a GTS BTW. Quite the contrary actually, when the F8X was released I was quite vocal about that on the forum. But it is not a "mistake", it is what the DIN standard allowed back then.

We're not that far off for our previous E46 and E9X. My 6MT E46 weighed ~3,550lb and my well optioned DCT E92 ~3,690lb, both all stock and "practically" fully fuelled. I was quite amazed frankly when I found my DCT M4cs weighed in the same ballpark as my 6MT E46. My car is not far off the M4cs weighed by three different reliable German publications, so I have to assume it is in the right ball park.

And I never said DIN weights are useless, I just said they are not an absolute. Actual cars on the road can be either lighter or heavier than DIN weights by a non-negligible margin.

As per C&D testing procedures, they always weigh with a full tank. It is one of the few North American publications that are rather thorough with their measurements:

Quote:
From start to finish, the prep process is very thorough. All the information is recorded on a template called a track sheet. When the test is completed, the track sheet's data is stored in our database where it will live on for eternity as reference material. First, the vehicle is carefully topped off with fuel and weighed using our Intercomp wireless scales. The corresponding weight of each corner is then recorded on the track sheet. This is where the total weight, as well as front and rear weight distribution, will be calculated and recorded.
And BTW, CCB are worth ~8kg on the F8X

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-14-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #226
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
As per C&D testing procedures, they always weigh with a full tank. It is one of the few North American publications that are rather thorough with their measurements:

And BTW, CCB are worth ~8kg on the F8X
I wonder how different that 8kg, 20lb is vs the weight reduction stuff the F80 CS has.

I actually ran into the C&D people at VIR while they were filming the Lightning Lap that will be released at some point this year. Really nice group of people. I got a subscription after the event.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-14-2021 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      01-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #227
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wonder how different that 8kg, 20lb is than the weight reduction stuff the F80 CS has.
The CCB weight difference comes a vendor that was quite thorough with his endeavour :

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1307736

Quote:
I actually ran into the C&D people at VIR while they were filming the Lightning Lap that will be released at some point this year. Really nice group of people. I got a subscription after the event.

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #228
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:

-F82 6MT with no gas
the list goes on forever

The DIN weight std that BMW used at the release of the F8x allowed curb weight without driver, fuel and fluids (often called dry weight).

Not a mistake, but a marketing opportunity by BMW to state a weight under 1500kg.

As we all know, you need both fuel and fluids as well as a driver, so in the real world no F82 was ever that light on the showroom.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #229
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The DIN weight std that BMW used at the release of the F8x allowed curb weight without driver, fuel and fluids (often called dry weight).

Not a mistake, but a marketing opportunity by BMW to state a weight under 1500kg.

As we all know, you need both fuel and fluids as well as a driver, so in the real world no F82 was ever that light on the showroom.
As far as I know, the new DIN weights also are without driver.

Are you sure that the old DIN weights were without fluid?

My understanding is that the revision to the DIN weights is mainly about how the cars are configured for the official weighing.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #230
apirumann
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 99 E46 323i

Quote:
Actually, contrary to what BMW wants us to believe, 50/50 is not "ideal" for handling dynamics. It is a question of polar moment of inertia: the farther the center of gravity resides relative to the rear axle, the greater the force needed from the front tires to get the car to change direction. There is a reason why all great sports and race cars have a rear weight bias. And yes, a 1~2% shift is significant.
Quote:
For sure it is. As I stated, the closest the CG to rear axle, the better (up to a certain limit naturally) and every % counts.

Are not these contradicting arguments? The 53 percent of the weight of the car is in the front, 47 percent in the back. That means the majority of the weight is closer to the front axle than the rear axle. Additionally, if BMW achieved something better this time (not a 50/50 weight distribution), would not they mention their achievement? Could you be a bit biased?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #231
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apirumann View Post
Are not these contradicting arguments? The 53 percent of the weight of the car is in the front, 47 percent in the back. That means the majority of the weight is closer to the front axle than the rear axle. Additionally, if BMW achieved something better this time (not a 50/50 weight distribution), would not they mention their achievement? Could you be a bit biased?
Re-read and you might comprehend .

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #232
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
I wonder how different that 8kg, 20lb is vs the weight reduction stuff the F80 CS has.

To note is that CCB weight reduction in terms of the rotors count ~3x the weight reduction from for example CF seats when it comes to acceleration. That’s the approximate factor of power required to accelerate static mass vs rotating mass if I recall right from past discussions.

Luckily most if not all of that 8kg rotational weight can be mitigated by going with the 18/19 wheel setup if you are a weight purist as BMW put it I suspect that is not possible with the CCBs. due to front brake clearance.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #233
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
To note is that CCB weight reduction in terms of the rotors count ~3x the weight reduction from for example CF seats when it comes to acceleration. That’s the approximate factor of power required to accelerate static mass vs rotating mass if I recall right from past discussions.

Luckily most if not all of that 8kg rotational weight can be mitigated by going with the 18/19 wheel setup if you are a weight purist as BMW put it I suspect that is not possible with the CCBs. due to front brake clearance.
That's another myth that has been debunked many times.

Where did you get that 3x factor? Do a little research before posting

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #234
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's another myth that has been debunked many times.

Where did you get that 3x factor? Do a little research before posting
Nice tone.
Why not post the debunk if you know it instead?

The same applies though, the CCB weight whatever the impact can be mitigated to a degree by selecting the 18/19 setup if CCBs does not fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #235
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice tone.
Why not post the debunk if you know it instead?

The same applies though, the CCB weight whatever the impact can be mitigated to a degree by selecting the 18/19 setup if CCBs does not fit.
Sorry about the “tone”, it was indeed a bit harsh. Long day...

Here you go: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=Inertia

Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      01-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #236
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Thank you

Since I suspect you do more research than pretty much anyone else here would you take a stab at guessing the weight difference between the 18/19 and 19/20 setup offered for the G8X?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #237
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you

Since I suspect you do more research than pretty much anyone else here would you take a stab at guessing the weight difference between the 18/19 and 19/20 setup offered for the G8X?
While your talking about wheels, I stumbled upon M8 owners who estimated the weight of there 863m wheels 20/20 size to be 19-20lbs and the same model 963m will be available for the G80. They are addressed for track in m performance literature.

They could end up being very light in 19/20 size, interesting.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      01-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #238
apirumann
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Re-read and you might comprehend .
"the closest the CG to rear axle, the better"

You are exactly saying "more mass in the rear is better" but this BMW has less mass in the back. Again; 53 Front (more mass in the front). I think you need to comprehend what you are really saying...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:01 PM   #239
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Not sure whether I'm following you. 50/50 isn't ideal cos it's better to have more mass at the rear up to a limit. 50/50 though not ideal is still better than 53 front 47 rear. Where's the contradiction?
      01-15-2021, 01:30 AM   #240
apirumann
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not sure whether I'm following you. 50/50 isn't ideal cos it's better to have more mass at the rear up to a limit. 50/50 though not ideal is still better than 53 front 47 rear. Where's the contradiction?
His logic is;
1 - 50/50 is not great as BMW wants us to believe,
2 - Rear bias is better

G80/82
1 - Has no 50/50
2 - Has no rear bias either.

So, G80/G82 is even worse than a 50/50 car, yet he is arguing with the people who are not fond of this weight distribution ??? What is the point?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:55 AM   #241
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So, G80/G82 is even worse than a 50/50 car, yet he is arguing with the people who are not fond of this weight distribution ??? What is the point?
Somewhere along you’ve misunderstood. CanAutM3 is leading the pack that is critical of the G8X technical characteristics and the added weight on the front axle and change in rear-front distribution is on of his main area of criticism.

I.e. he is agreeing with you. Heck he is even jumping ship to one of car worlds most rear weight biased cars a lot based on that specific change...
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-15-2021, 04:22 AM   #242
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
"the closest the CG to rear axle, the better"

You are exactly saying "more mass in the rear is better" but this BMW has less mass in the back. Again; 53 Front (more mass in the front). I think you need to comprehend what you are really saying...
Yes, that's it: more mass to the rear is better; BMW moving in the wrong direction.

What's so hard to comprehend : ?

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-15-2021 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0