BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-02-2021, 05:29 AM   #111
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
That's not the issue, not from what they have said. Good hypothesis, but not the issue.

They don't expect the 6MT to sell nearly well enough to develop two drivetrains for it. In many markets (UK for example) they aren't even offering it. They have no concerns about warranty or with clutch dumps at high rpms because they could limit that from happening. The economics of developing two different drivetrains for a "niche" product don't add up. They'll still sell the same amount of cars as well.

They are still getting all the 6MT drivers (myself included) because we have nowhere else to go (I don't even wanna hear the word Cadillac Blackwing, I wouldn't even rent a Cadillac while on vacation at Disney if I could help it).

Many 6MT lunatics are RWD purists (count me in there). If AWD was the only 6MT option, sure, I would buy it. But if I had a choice between RWD or AWD I would choose RWD every time for sportiness and weight savings.
Other choice is Porsche GT4 and 911 GT3 both offered in MT.
And the 911 non-GT variants. I am not a fan, and I put way too many miles on my cars. I have done the math and for me, a 911 Carrera S is affordable but the cost of ownership is ridiculous. The least amount of miles I've ever put in a car in a 3 year lease is 65k.

Everyone else who has a 911 babies it and sells it long before it hits 65k, so I would be effectively signing my financial death warrant to buy or even lease one.

Also, it's not nearly as good looking if a car. I've been looking at 991's as dedicated track cars however.

Last edited by frankiebones; 03-03-2021 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25112.00
zamboni1130.50
      03-02-2021, 05:35 AM   #112
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
That's not the issue, not from what they have said. Good hypothesis, but not the issue.

They don't expect the 6MT to sell nearly well enough to develop two drivetrains for it. In many markets (UK for example) they aren't even offering it. They have no concerns about warranty or with clutch dumps at high rpms because they could limit that from happening. The economics of developing two different drivetrains for a "niche" product don't add up. They'll still sell the same amount of cars as well.

They are still getting all the 6MT drivers (myself included) because we have nowhere else to go (I don't even wanna hear the word Cadillac Blackwing, I wouldn't even rent a Cadillac while on vacation at Disney if I could help it).

Many 6MT lunatics are RWD purists (count me in there). If AWD was the only 6MT option, sure, I would buy it. But if I had a choice between RWD or AWD I would choose RWD every time for sportiness and weight savings.
I could not agree with you more!

Sometimes it seems like we get some confused Audi RS buyers in the M3 forums...
The new model cycle brings a lot of the more casual/new members to these forums. They haven't been part of the maelstrom of debate that the last 6 months since the release has been (lucky for them).

Imagine that, they just lived their lives in peace and relative serenity completely ignorant to the raging battle that these forums have been since the release.
Appreciate 5
SYT_Shadow11490.00
heavyD^23688.50
Sedan_Clan25112.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
      03-02-2021, 07:23 AM   #113
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Would you trade your M2 CS for it?
I would not. The CS is a perfect car for me personally and does something completely in terms of driver engagement while the G80 is more in the realm of what the M5 used to be - a luxury land missile.

I am going to be selling my F82 and 135i though, and will consider a G8X as a replacement grand tourer, maybe even replacing the spot that the i8 currently hold in the garage. But if I use it in that role, I'd probably wait for the AWD variant, or maybe even the i4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Baby M5, room for 5, hauls ass, sounds decent, and has a manual. All the new vids and customer reactions have me excited for this car.
Quote:
Quote:
...the G80 is more in the realm of what the M5 used to be - a luxury land missile..
Curious. What is the current M5 to you now?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #114
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I would not. The CS is a perfect car for me personally and does something completely in terms of driver engagement while the G80 is more in the realm of what the M5 used to be - a luxury land missile.

I am going to be selling my F82 and 135i though, and will consider a G8X as a replacement grand tourer, maybe even replacing the spot that the i8 currently hold in the garage. But if I use it in that role, I'd probably wait for the AWD variant, or maybe even the i4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Baby M5, room for 5, hauls ass, sounds decent, and has a manual. All the new vids and customer reactions have me excited for this car.
Quote:
Quote:
...the G80 is more in the realm of what the M5 used to be - a luxury land missile..
Curious. What is the current M5 to you now?
A prom limousine?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #115
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And the 911 non-GT variants. I am not a fan, and I put way too many miles on my cars. I have done the math and for me, a 911 Carrera S is affordable but the cost of ownership is ridiculous. The least amount of miles I've ever put in a car in a 3 year lease is 65k.

Everyone else who has a 911 babies it and sells it long before it hits 65k, so I would be effectively signing my financial death warrant to buy or even lease one.

Also, it's bit nearly as good looking if a car. I've been looking at 991's as dedicated track cars however.
How do you get out of overmilage fees or do you buy it out?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #116
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
I pay the overmileage fees.

If they offered 18k mile/year leases I would do that. I have run numbers and it's actually cheaper to get a 12k lease (as opposed to a 15k/year lease) and pay the overmileage.

My friend does a similar amount of driving and leases S560 Benz's. He does a 7,500 mile/year lease and pays the overmileage at the end because it is cheaper to do so.

Appreciate 1
DS_BMW1603.00
      03-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #117
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also, it's bit nearly as good looking if a car. I've been looking at 991's as dedicated track cars however.
Depends on your relationship with your dealership. When I have leased in the past, for example, I was buying another car (...and I always bought from the same person), so it was never an issue.
Appreciate 1
DS_BMW1603.00
      03-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #118
InsideMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Depends on your relationship with your dealership. When I have leased in the past, for example, I was buying another car (...and I always bought from the same person), so it was never an issue.
Dealers are starting to get this email....😂

We would like to remind you that the BMW Press Department currently has a Global Embargo in place, prohibiting anyone from publishing or posting any first driving impressions of the M3/M4. This applies in particular to video footage of anyone driving the car and providing their opinion on these products. The embargo needs to be respected and adhered to by ALL BMW Dealers, News Outlets, etc. The embargo expires on March 9th 6pm (Eastern Time) at which time you are allowed to publish, post and release any materials that you have produced. As such, the Automotive Sales department asks that dealers refrain from driving the vehicles, or offering customer test drives, as these both contribute to social media posts violating the embargo.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #119
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
It sounds 95 % ASD from inside the cabin i can tell u that. I could live with this sound in my M2 like for a week and then i had it disconnected plus new exhaust plus windows open.... mandatory on modern bmw imo.
As I said I think it sounded great and was comparing it to the S58 in my X3M as it sounds different, I've been driving ASD equipped M cars for the last 7 years and I have zero issue with it despite coming from a line of E46 and E92 M3s before those. My post was about it sounding good to me not whether you can stand the sound your M2 makes.
PABrian149.50
      03-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #120
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
It sounds 95 % ASD from inside the cabin i can tell u that. I could live with this sound in my M2 like for a week and then i had it disconnected plus new exhaust plus windows open.... mandatory on modern bmw imo.
As I said I think it sounded great and was comparing it to the S58 in my X3M as it sounds different, I've been driving ASD equipped M cars for the last 7 years and I have zero issue with it despite coming from a line of E46 and E92 M3s before those. My post was about it sounding good to me not whether you can stand the sound your M2 makes.
+2
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #121
il Nemico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

@silber

Can you post a photo of your M2 CS next to the G80 M3?

Would love to see the side by side size comparison.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #122
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Sorry you're right i didnt read "fake or not". My bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #123
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Nemico View Post
@silber

Pics of this comparison were just posted yesterday or the day before. It's noticeably smaller, as expected. I'm not sure what you're trying to garner from pics when you already know the M2CS is about the size of an E46 M3 and the G8X is E39 M5 sized (...more or less).
Appreciate 3
solstice5456.50
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      03-02-2021, 11:02 AM   #124
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Pics of this comparison were just posted yesterday or the day before. It's noticeably smaller, as expected. I'm not sure what you're trying to garner from pics when you already know the M2CS is about the size of an E46 M3 and the G8X is E39 M5 sized (...more or less).
The same debate rage with the F8X. And yes it’s a large car, if you want a compact the G8X ain’t it neither is the F8X. That train sailed decades ago.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25112.00
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      03-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #125
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
The same debate rage with the F8X. And yes it's a large car, if you want a compact this car ain't it.
Yep! It's cyclical. We have largely the same debates every 6 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #126
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

video private. did BMW NA come knocking?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #127
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340iX (6MT) - X3///M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
video private. did BMW NA come knocking?
OP, what happened to the video? I as well am curious to know if BMW NA really has that kind of reach...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #128
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The same debate rage with the F8X. And yes it’s a large car, if you want a compact the G8X ain’t it neither is the F8X. That train sailed decades ago.
Sedan_Clan in 3 generations (E46 to G80) the M3 has grown exactly 12 inches...That's not that bad, everyone is surprised to read that. In 19 years it grew at a rate of .63"/year.

Last edited by frankiebones; 03-03-2021 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25112.00
      03-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #129
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Yeah, and a GT4 with similar options will be in another galaxy, all while offering the utility of a bicycle with a basket attached to the handlebars. That said, the GT cars are great, but the comparisons aren't fitting.
These are the same comparisons we get all the time from these geniuses
I'd love to watch any of these geniuses go to their wives and explain that instead of buying a 4 door sedan, they are going to buy a 2 seat car that sucks for everything except the track.

I also really like how someone will go to one car, load it with every option there is, then compare it against the base version of another car.
So the CCBs were 'necessary' for car A, but if you go to car B, now they are no longer necessary. Logic 101!

And yet still, instead of buying those cars and going to the forum of their new acquisition, they stick around here to utter stupidities.

Then one day they'll take their 'racecar' to the track and get spanked by a 4 door sedan

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 03-02-2021 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 4
AHall981.50
PABrian149.50
i128316.00
      03-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #130
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The same debate rage with the F8X. And yes it's a large car, if you want a compact the G8X ain't it neither is the F8X. That train sailed decades ago.
Quote:
Quote:
The same debate rage with the F8X. And yes it's a large car, if you want a compact the G8X ain't it neither is the F8X. That train sailed decades ago.
Sedan_Clan in 3 generations (E45 to G80) the M3 has grown exactly 12 inches...That's not that bad, everyone is surprised to read that. In 19 years it grew at a rate of .63"/year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Yeah, and a GT4 with similar options will be in another galaxy, all while offering the utility of a bicycle with a basket attached to the handlebars. That said, the GT cars are great, but the comparisons aren't fitting.
These are the same comparisons we get all the time from these geniuses
I'd love to watch any of these geniuses go to their wives and explain that instead of buying a 4 door sedan, they are going to buy a 2 seat car that sucks for everything except the track.

I also really like how someone will go to one car, load it with every option there is, then compare it against the base version of another car.
So the CCBs were 'necessary' for car A, but if you go to car B, now they are no longer necessary. Logic 101!

And yet still, instead of buying those cars and going to the forum of their new acquisition, they stick around here to utter stupidities.

Then one day they'll take their 'racecar' to the track and get double fisted by a 4 door sedan
Agree with all of the above.

Ya know, when I first came to BMW in 2000-2001 with the E46 330ci, and later a few E46 M3's, etc., I used to take the Porsche comparisons seriously.......

....until I actually priced one out AND talked to owners about the maintenance. Ughhh, it was a reality check. Big time!

I built a G82 a month ago with CF buckets and options similar to my current F82. I also started building a Porsche Carrera S. I hadn't even finished the comparable build and the P car was already $50k more than the G82.
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11490.00
AHall981.50
PABrian149.50
      03-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #131
Silber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 M2CS, '19 i8 , '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Nemico View Post

Unfortunately I wasn't able to line them up for a good side by side - there wasn't really room. G80 is significantly longer, which makes sense considering that it's longer than the F80 and the F87 is sorter than that.

[On Order] 2023 i4 M50 - Frozen Pure Grey | Fiona Red Merino
2020 M2 CS 6MT - Hockenheim | Black 763M
2019 Vorsteiner i8 - Sophisto | Tera Dalbergia Brown Int. | 3M Satin White Aluminum Wrap
2010 135i 6MT - Black Sapphire | Black Int. | VMR V710 | 1M Bumper | Rieger Diffuser
Appreciate 1
il Nemico137.50
      03-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #132
Silber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 M2CS, '19 i8 , '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by i128 View Post
OP, what happened to the video? I as well am curious to know if BMW NA really has that kind of reach...
I posted earlier that it was requested I take it down until the embargo was up. A bunch of dealers got slapped by corporate earlier this week for letting people out on drives as soon as the cars arrived. I don't want to cause more trouble for the dealer, so I've locked it down until the embargo is up on the 10th.

[On Order] 2023 i4 M50 - Frozen Pure Grey | Fiona Red Merino
2020 M2 CS 6MT - Hockenheim | Black 763M
2019 Vorsteiner i8 - Sophisto | Tera Dalbergia Brown Int. | 3M Satin White Aluminum Wrap
2010 135i 6MT - Black Sapphire | Black Int. | VMR V710 | 1M Bumper | Rieger Diffuser
Appreciate 2
i128316.00