BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #45
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
I also thought the same , but where the market is heading , I doubt they will be underwater.
Car prices won't magically go down anytime soon.

Finance rates just went to 3.9% for 72 months.
I think a 2k-3k price spike is coming shortly for the G8X's too in the US , it's only downhill from here :
I agree that I think actual MSRP price hikes are coming, and interest rates definitely seem to be going up. But I can't agree with your first paragraph. I think as soon as supply-chain issues resolve and cars are more readily available new (either on the lot, or to be ordered and delivered within reasonable time frames), the used pricing will plummet back to typical levels (albeit in relation to higher new pricing, so that will help a bit), while the new pricing stays increased.

Things never seem to come back down (in terms of MSRP). Watch collectors who were active at the time, tell me that when gold spiked in 1980, gold watch prices soared (MSRP, and used). Gold, of course, came way back down, for decades, but the MSRPricing never moved back down accordingly. I think we'll see the same thing with new cars...
Keywords are "as soon as supply chain issues resolve"

That's the gamble , depends on when you think it will resolve.
IMO , not anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:05 PM   #46
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
The dealers and manufacturers are addicted to msrp, low incentives and low residuals like crack addicts.

They only thing i see moving the market in a significant way is when people finally start to realize our economy is a house of cards, with "growth " only resulting from significant and nearly out of control under reported inflation due to crazy monetary and fiscal policy.

But. I could be wrong....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:24 PM   #47
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competion RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
The dealers and manufacturers are addicted to msrp, low incentives and low residuals like crack addicts.

They only thing i see moving the market in a significant way is when people finally start to realize our economy is a house of cards, with "growth " only resulting from significant and nearly out of control under reported inflation due to crazy monetary and fiscal policy.

But. I could be wrong....
Or people's ideology leading them to believe the economy is in bad shape. But hey, to each their own. The inflation will pass

Chip shortages and global supply issues due to covid caused the car mess along with numerous other consumer goods. I see it daily as I sell building materials sourced from all over the world

Last edited by Vishal50028; 01-09-2022 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #48
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Keywords are "as soon as supply chain issues resolve"

That's the gamble , depends on when you think it will resolve.
IMO , not anytime soon.
I don’t think the return will be immediate, but if we’re still anywhere near the current disruptions, in 30+ months, then I think we will all have much bigger problems than can be addressed on a car enthusiast forum.
Appreciate 2
GGG333603.50
      01-09-2022, 04:17 PM   #49
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal50028 View Post
Or people's ideology leading them to believe the economy is in bad shape. But hey, to each their own. The inflation will pass

Chip shortages and global supply issues due to covid caused the car mess
My points are not ideological.

Yes, inflation will eventually pass, it always does. But the question is when and what will the damage have been?

I agree the chip shortage and covid had a major impact on the current market, but I don't see pricing coming back to 'normal' until people realize that things are not as rosey as they seem. Once they do, most will stop paying MSRP (or over in many cases it seems) for a new car as demand will decline and balance out more with supply.

BMW and MB have already said they are going to keep a close eye on supply (ie: cut supply if they start to catch up with demand) so I think its going to take a market shock like a housing or stock market correction. People are using their homes and investment accounts as ATMs like they did in 2008. One big shock to either and things will change quickly

Everyone with a brain has an opinion. Only time will tell I guess. Here's hoping YOU are correct!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #50
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal50028 View Post

Chip shortages and global supply issues due to covid caused the car mess

Yes, inflation will eventually pass, it always does. But the question is when and what will the damage have been?

I agree the chip shortage and covid had a major impact on the current market, but I don't see pricing coming back to 'normal' until people realize that things are not as rosey as they seem. Once they do, most will stop paying MSRP (or over in many cases it seems) for a new car as demand will decline and balance out more with supply.

BMW and MB have already said they are going to keep a close eye on supply (ie: cut supply if they start to catch up with demand) so I think its going to take a market shock like a housing or stock market correction. People are using their homes and investment accounts as ATMs like they did in 2008. One big shock to either and things will change quickly

Everyone with a brain has an opinion. Only time will tell I guess. Here's hoping YOU are correct!
Yup, these brands are in huge profit right now and they have no reason to change anything.
You're exactly right , they will purposely cut supply because why change something that works so well for them right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #51
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I think it's not only inflation and shortages, it's also the massive increase in wealth. The stock market, incomes and real estate values have created a ton of additional wealth and few thousand extra is nothing to a lot of people these days.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:59 PM   #52
jwt2440
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 - 6MT Triple Black

I ordered a Mercedes SUV for the wife in early 2021 and took delivery 8 months later in September. I'm in SoCal and so is dealership. Dealer gave me $4k off sticker ($100k car) when I ordered and when the car arrived offered me $15k not to pick it up. I wired the cash to buy the car outright within 30 minutes of that phone call so they wouldn't back out of the deal. Everyone called me stupid for not taking the money. Those calling me stupid were friends who aren't married and don't have to deal with a wife. Long story short is the market is weird AF.
Appreciate 4
GGG333603.50
vj1233785.50
Geo_FF140.00
      01-09-2022, 06:00 PM   #53
WATCHMY6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisaxena33 View Post
Am I crazy for hesitating on doing an out of state deal with a negotiated 2500 markup for a m3 allocation? Currently I'm on a local dealer waitlist at #6. Wanted to get some opinions. My biggest issue with it is that they won't cover shipping and its like a 12 hour drive which I'm not going to do (maybe). There is also a 399 etching fee ... sigh
I had to pay 5000… if you want it, what is an extra 2500
Appreciate 3
      01-09-2022, 06:34 PM   #54
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Fair enough. Just got to take this day-by-day.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #55
Geo_FF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340xi Portimao Blue

Garage List
Quote:
When the mark-ups get this crazy (I’m seeing 15-25k thrown around above), how do banks even underwrite those loans?? I wouldn’t think a bank would be willing to base LTV off of a grossly inflated purchase price. (Puts BMWFS and the dealers in an odd spot though - the dealers claiming that’s the current market price, but then if the manufacturer’s own bank won’t write the loan on the marked-up price, wouldn’t be a great look…)
Each bank has its own policy of course, but mine for example goes up to 120% LTV on auto loans.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 10:06 PM   #56
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_M240i View Post
Each bank has its own policy of course, but mine for example goes up to 120% LTV on auto loans.
Wow. I guess that would help enable high mark-ups, if they’re financeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:12 AM   #57
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_M240i View Post
This reminds me of the 2008 housing crash....Can anyone say "cash-out refi"?
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2022, 07:50 AM   #58
yahh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / V10 R8 / Lotus Elise

Quote:
Yup, these brands are in huge profit right now and they have no reason to change anything.
You're exactly right , they will purposely cut supply because why change something that works so well for them right now.
One of my good friends is a GM at a Mercedes dealer here and they are contemplating moving towards the Tesla style ordering system and only keeping a few cars on hand for test drives. They're making 4-5x the amount on new cars vs what they used to and they're not discounting new cars below MSRP to get them moved when they sit too long. This way they're not investing money upfront and locking it up in the new cars so then they can purchase more used cars which have higher margins. On top of that, the service department profits way more from used cars.

Quote:
Wow. I guess that would help enable high mark-ups, if they’re financeable.
They don't use MSRP though, they use market value so markups shouldn't be relevant. Depending on who it is, they use KBB, Edmonds, or MMR which is the most accurate because it uses the last 5-10 actual sales to show market value.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:13 PM   #59
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahh View Post
They don't use MSRP though, they use market value so markups shouldn't be relevant. Depending on who it is, they use KBB, Edmonds, or MMR which is the most accurate because it uses the last 5-10 actual sales to show market value.
Isn't that a distinction without a difference here, in this market and when we're talking about new car acquisition financing?

"Market value" right now for a new G8x is no lower than MSRP (perhaps higher), so if a lender is willing to lend 120% (or similar) against a new car's "market value" as determined by recent sales etc., that's going to inherently be a marked-up value as compared to MSRP. Unless I'm missing something...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:34 PM   #60
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahh View Post
One of my good friends is a GM at a Mercedes dealer here and they are contemplating moving towards the Tesla style ordering system and only keeping a few cars on hand for test drives. They're making 4-5x the amount on new cars vs what they used to and they're not discounting new cars below MSRP to get them moved when they sit too long. This way they're not investing money upfront and locking it up in the new cars so then they can purchase more used cars which have higher margins. On top of that, the service department profits way more from used cars.

When my local dealer had many 3s,5s, and 7s on the lot back in the day, the specs were always iffy it seemed. Maybe they are better off once lead times normalize
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:24 PM   #61
yami sukehiro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
This is really encouraging to hear. I'm currently next up for an allocation at Bill Jacob's. Started as number 4 on the list in late November.

What is your scheduled production date? Would love to know about your spec as well.
Hmm this is slightly concerning after reading the other reply. Is that after February allocations were released this month or have you not heard about any released allocations this month from your sales guy?
I believe December allocations were already spoken for when I put my order in at the end of November. My guess is the four customers ahead of me got the January allocations when they were released in December.

The hope is they get more m3 allocations for February this month. I don't think those have been released yet.
Any news on allocations at bill jacobs for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:41 PM   #62
CodyAXM
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 On Order

Considered the same thing myself . Happened to get lucky and local dealer called me and told me someone dropped out on an order and I was still able to edit build. Pains me to be patient - but sometimes it just makes a lot more sense.
When this market adjusts - I see it happening already on RWD M3’s since so many are becoming available - People who paid $2-5-10k over, will all be very upset when the same dealer won’t even offer sticker back. Unfortunately, many people will be stuck holding a bag and it won’t be a big green bag, it’ll be red. Bright red.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:15 AM   #63
wfydaniel
Private
China
Rep
Drives: G30 540i + G82 M4C Xdrive

i mean, 2500 markup seems like a discount in times like this

G30 540i Bluestone
G82 M4C Xdrive IoMG / YMB
Golf 7.5 280tsi White
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:18 AM   #64
wfydaniel
Private
China
Rep
Drives: G30 540i + G82 M4C Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyAXM View Post
Considered the same thing myself . Happened to get lucky and local dealer called me and told me someone dropped out on an order and I was still able to edit build. Pains me to be patient - but sometimes it just makes a lot more sense.
When this market adjusts - I see it happening already on RWD M3’s since so many are becoming available - People who paid $2-5-10k over, will all be very upset when the same dealer won’t even offer sticker back. Unfortunately, many people will be stuck holding a bag and it won’t be a big green bag, it’ll be red. Bright red.
same here, i hijacked a delayed allocation and i was able to edit the spec. otherwise i will be lined up for a Feb. allocation and my estimated delivery time would be October, if im lucky enough.
now my car will be ready to ship to Shanghai around March

G30 540i Bluestone
G82 M4C Xdrive IoMG / YMB
Golf 7.5 280tsi White
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:22 AM   #65
amuk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by yami sukehiro View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is really encouraging to hear. I'm currently next up for an allocation at Bill Jacob's. Started as number 4 on the list in late November.

What is your scheduled production date? Would love to know about your spec as well.
Hmm this is slightly concerning after reading the other reply. Is that after February allocations were released this month or have you not heard about any released allocations this month from your sales guy?
I believe December allocations were already spoken for when I put my order in at the end of November. My guess is the four customers ahead of me got the January allocations when they were released in December.

The hope is they get more m3 allocations for February this month. I don't think those have been released yet.
Any news on allocations at bill jacobs for you?
No news yet, but judging by the thread below, new allocations haven't been released to dealers yet.

Allocation update - January https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1891971
Appreciate 0