Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-31-2023, 02:25 PM   #1
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

MAD: New Product Release -G8x M3 M4 Axle Back Exhaust

MAD G8x M3 M4 Axle Back Exhaust

The G8x M3/M4 excels in nearly every aspect compared to its precursor, but the prevailing concern among enthusiasts lies in its sound quality. Similar to its predecessor, the S55 in the F8x, the S58 in the current generation still leaves room for improvement. While the stock sounds are a step up from the previous generation, they still have an excess of raspiness that fails to convey the refined aggression inherent to the brand's signature performance models. MAD remedies this shortcoming with a valved axle back exhaust system that delivers a deeper, more impactful note, and adds a level of amplification beyond the stock version. When paired with the optional single midpipe, it yields an even louder, smoother, and fuller sound.

To achieve the desired sound volume and tone befitting the G8x M3/M4, we increased the tubing size to 76mm (from the stock's 70mm), which reduces backpressure and allows a freer flow throughout the system. The larger piping diverges into multiple paths as it approaches the vehicle's rear, the choice of which is determined by the factory exhaust valves that are retained.

When the valves are closed, flow is directed into the MAD muffler, and exits through the two inner tips. This restricts noise during low-speed driving and produces a more subdued yet deeper sound. When the valves are open during high-load conditions, most gases bypass the muffler entirely for a near-straight pipe design, achieving maximum aural enjoyment. This harmonious balance satisfies a range of tastes and offers civility or passionate aggression as the situation demands. MAD has determined this combination to be appropriate for the brand's signature performance models that cater to discerning enthusiasts who want the best in all scenarios.

Visually, MAD's G8x M3/M4 exhaust is meticulously constructed entirely from T304 stainless steel and TIG welded for superior visual appeal and color. The entire system is brush finished for a perfect look straight out of the box. The attention to detail isn't limited to the unseen parts once the exhaust is installed; it extends to the exhaust tips as well. MAD's exhaust includes substantial quad 4.5-inch (114mm) clamp-on exhaust tips. Despite their large size on paper, the tips seamlessly integrate and fill the factory cut-outs, achieving the OEM+ look with an added touch of audible attitude.

Features:

Connects to Factory Midpipe (Cutting required) or MAD Single Midpipe (No Cutting required)
Maximum gains of +5 HP and +5 lb-ft of torque
Pleasingly louder, sportier sound
Drone abatement technologies reduce cabin resonance
4.5-inch (114mm) tips
Larger diameter piping for increased flow (76mm vs. 70mm)
7-pounds lighter than the stock axle back (Stock: 44-pounds vs. MAD: 37-pounds)
Reuses stock exhaust valve actuators, and the operation of exhaust valve is unchanged so the exhaust tone can be adjusted via the M-drive settings
Includes extended valve harness
Computer-controlled exhaust valves are retained and limit noise during low-speed driving, and open fully during high-load conditions
100% 304 Stainless Steel construction
Factory-like fitment with included mounting hardware

Visit our site for Pricing

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 09-12-2023 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
Nate.G82521.00
      07-31-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
Sp2pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX

Do you have any driving videos of a G80 with JUST the axleback and everything else stock?
Wondering if that cuts out the rasp in the higher rpm range.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 04:21 PM   #3
emthreepa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Connects to Factory Midpipe (Cutting required) or MAD Single Midpipe (No Cutting required)

For those already having Active Autowerke Equal Length Midpipe...
I'm assuming since the AA EL connects to stock axle back, and this requires cutting to connect to stock midpipe, those trying to hook this up to AA EL would need a modification, not direct fit?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emthreepa View Post

For those already having Active Autowerke Equal Length Midpipe...
I'm assuming since the AA EL connects to stock axle back, and this requires cutting to connect to stock midpipe, those trying to hook this up to AA EL would need a modification, not direct fit?
If they use the front two dimple as the cut point it should work fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 12:35 AM   #5
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp2pilot View Post
Do you have any driving videos of a G80 with JUST the axleback and everything else stock?
Wondering if that cuts out the rasp in the higher rpm range.
I don't at the moment but, it would be much much quieter without our midpipe.

I would recommend our resonated midpipe to get the smoothest sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:57 AM   #6
docjavier
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 F10 535i

PM sent.
      08-01-2023, 07:54 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Saw this video a few weeks ago. Sounds pretty good, especially for the price!

Any chance of some additional sound clips? NRP was kinda stingy.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 10:05 AM   #8
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Saw this video a few weeks ago. Sounds pretty good, especially for the price!

Any chance of some additional sound clips? NRP was kinda stingy.

Thanks!
Sent them this thread. They are going to work on a new video 👍
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 06:33 PM   #9
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Is there any drone what so ever with the valves closed?

Are the tips adjustable? I prefer them flush or a little tucked in.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 06:33 PM   #10
Devils41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
I'm looking to pre-order but do you have any pics of the Carbon tips? curious to see what they look like before I order.

Current: '23 G80 M3 Comp - BG over FR
Past: '16 Mineral Grey M235i, '03 e46 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 08:25 PM   #11
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE M3 View Post
Is there any drone what so ever with the valves closed?

Are the tips adjustable? I prefer them flush or a little tucked in.
Obviously it depends on your setup but with our non res single Midpipe no drone.

The tips are fully adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 02:18 AM   #12
Johndaks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
MAD G8x M3 M4 Axle Back Exhaust

The G8x M3/M4 excels in nearly every aspect compared to its precursor, but the prevailing concern among enthusiasts lies in its sound quality. Similar to its predecessor, the S55 in the F8x, the S58 in the current generation still leaves room for improvement. While the stock sounds are a step up from the previous generation, they still have an excess of raspiness that fails to convey the refined aggression inherent to the brand's signature performance models. MAD remedies this shortcoming with a valved axle back exhaust system that delivers a deeper, more impactful note, and adds a level of amplification beyond the stock version. When paired with the optional single midpipe, it yields an even louder, smoother, and fuller sound.

To achieve the desired sound volume and tone befitting the G8x M3/M4, we increased the tubing size to 76mm (from the stock's 70mm), which reduces backpressure and allows a freer flow throughout the system. The larger piping diverges into multiple paths as it approaches the vehicle's rear, the choice of which is determined by the factory exhaust valves that are retained.

When the valves are closed, flow is directed into the MAD muffler, and exits through the two inner tips. This restricts noise during low-speed driving and produces a more subdued yet deeper sound. When the valves are open during high-load conditions, most gases bypass the muffler entirely for a near-straight pipe design, achieving maximum aural enjoyment. This harmonious balance satisfies a range of tastes and offers civility or passionate aggression as the situation demands. MAD has determined this combination to be appropriate for the brand's signature performance models that cater to discerning enthusiasts who want the best in all scenarios.

Visually, MAD's G8x M3/M4 exhaust is meticulously constructed entirely from T304 stainless steel and TIG welded for superior visual appeal and color. The entire system is brush finished for a perfect look straight out of the box. The attention to detail isn't limited to the unseen parts once the exhaust is installed; it extends to the exhaust tips as well. MAD's exhaust includes substantial quad 4.5-inch (114mm) clamp-on exhaust tips. Despite their large size on paper, the tips seamlessly integrate and fill the factory cut-outs, achieving the OEM+ look with an added touch of audible attitude.

Features:

Maximum gains of +5 HP and +5 lb-ft of torque
Pleasingly louder, sportier sound
Drone abatement technologies reduce cabin resonance
4.5-inch (114mm) tips
Larger diameter piping for increased flow (76mm vs. 70mm)
7-pounds lighter than the stock axle back (Stock: 44-pounds vs. MAD: 37-pounds)
Reuses stock exhaust valve actuators, and the operation of exhaust valve is unchanged so the exhaust tone can be adjusted via the M-drive settings
Includes extended valve harness
Computer-controlled exhaust valves are retained and limit noise during low-speed driving, and open fully during high-load conditions
100% 304 Stainless Steel construction
Factory-like fitment with included mounting hardware

Visit our site for Pricing
Sorry, I am a little confused when you first announced the product (on the NRP prototype install video) you said that the full catback system would be available first, and I quote for under 2500$ (lol) and that the axel back would be sold at a later date.
Are you going to sell this as a complete catback system? (Was really interested in this)
Or do I have to buy a midpipe and axle back separately? Or both options are available cause I don't see a full catback pre order option available yet?

Last edited by Johndaks; 08-04-2023 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Proof
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #13
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndaks View Post
ISorry, I am a little confused when you first announced the product (on the NRP prototype install video) you said that the full catback system would be available first, and I quote for under 2500$ (lol) and that the axel back would be sold at a later date.
Are you going to sell this as a complete catback system? (Was really interested in this)
Or do I have to buy a midpipe and axle back separately? Or both options are available cause I don't see a full catback pre order option available yet?
And what timeframe are we talking regarding “preorder”?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 12:45 PM   #14
Nick71692
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S5 Sportback

Sub'd for an axle back sound clip. Love the look of it and a lighter version than going with a full setup.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #15
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndaks View Post
Sorry, I am a little confused when you first announced the product (on the NRP prototype install video) you said that the full catback system would be available first, and I quote for under 2500$ (lol) and that the axel back would be sold at a later date.
You are correct. Initially we were going to release the full system which would include a single midpipe. If you go back to that thread we received many comments and pms regarding selling a full system from customers who have already purchased our midpipe or may have wanted a resonated version instead.

After listening to customer feedback we have decided to sell them as separate products that can be used alone or together as a full system. I believe this allows for a more flexible exhaust system and better for everyone in the long run.

Our retail pricing is $98 over what we initially wanted but of course with your forum discount you can get it even lower than 2500 Shipped.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 08-04-2023 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
Devils41262.50
      08-04-2023, 01:13 PM   #16
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner View Post
And what timeframe are we talking regarding “preorder”?
Both Mid Pipes versions are ready to ship and axle backs are due to ship October 8th.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2023, 02:53 PM   #17
Johndaks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Quote:
You are correct, initially we were going to release the full system which would include a single midpipe. If you go back to that thread we received many comments and pms regarding selling a full system from customers who have already purchased our midpipe or may have wanted a resonated version instead.

After listening to customer feedback we have decided to sell them as separate products that can be used alone or together as a full system. I believe this allows for a more flexible exhaust system and better for everyone in the long run.

Our retail pricing is $98 over what we initially wanted but of course with your forum discount you can get it even lower than 2500 Shipped.
Thank you
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2023, 04:45 PM   #18
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Dope! Oem downpipes, just need the option of 100% quiet for headaches and hang overs lol

Glad I waited! I’d like to support a smaller company than Dinan.

Quote:
Obviously it depends on your setup but with our non res single Midpipe no drone.

The tips are fully adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #19
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE M3 View Post
Dope! Oem downpipes, just need the option of 100% quiet for headaches and hang overs lol

Glad I waited! I’d like to support a smaller company than Dinan.

Appreciate it!

Maybe consider going resonated and a valve controller.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 08-04-2023 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 11:46 PM   #20
aimetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ram rebel

Quote:
You are correct. Initially we were going to release the full system which would include a single midpipe. If you go back to that thread we received many comments and pms regarding selling a full system from customers who have already purchased our midpipe or may have wanted a resonated version instead.

What’s this forum discount I’m reading

Interested in midpipe / axel
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 10:12 AM   #21
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

You have pm.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #22
ajmart85
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Base

Yeah I'd be down for a full system for under $2,500 shipped. Let us know MAD!
Appreciate 0