home
Classifieds Sponsors Classifieds Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons

05-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #1
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

IND | Rogue Engineering G8X M2 / M3 / M4 OCTANE Short Shift Kit

*ROGUE ENGINEERING FULL OCTANE SHORT SHIFT KIT WITH ADJUSTABLE SHIFTER THROW/HEIGHT NOW AVAILABLE*

BMW has been known for its relatively poor shifter feeling, even in today's high performance M models; therefore, one of the most satisfying upgrades you can make to your BMW is to its factory shifter mechanism. The Rogue Engineering OCTANE Short Shift Kit represents years of experience and research; RE continues to design and build the best short shift kits on the market.

The RE OCTANE features a CNC-machined 303 stainless steel lever, adding 150g more weight to the top of the shift lever—drastically improves shifter feel—while maintaining a factory profile to accept any BMW shift knob. Additionally, since the lower shift lever and the main pivot ball are all 303 stainless steel, RE has gone a step further by allowing it to be adjustable so shifter throw/height can be tailored to the users' liking (within reason). The distance is pre-set by Rogue Engineering, but can be modified by the user.

The stainless pivot ball not only offers the adjustability feature, but more importantly offers extreme durability over the factory unit. When combined with the change to Delrin AF for the lower pivot bushings, a material proven to be very heat resistant (an important feature in this location), you're ensured a long lasting product that will be smooth to operate over time regardless of driving condition.

Product Details:
  • RE-Modified OEM shift carrier and pivot cup
  • Adjustable Height/Throw via new adjustable pivot ball
  • 303 stainless steel shift lever
  • Delrin AF shift carrier and shift lever bushings; prevents binding and adds resistance to drivetrain temperatures exceeding 200°F
  • Stainless steel adjustable shifter pivot bushing ensures durability
  • Made in USA

The Rogue Engineering G8X M2 / M3 / M4 OCTANE Short Shift Kit may be viewed at the following link to our online store:
https://ind-distribution.com/product...hort-shift-kit

Please contact IND by phone or email for more information or to place your order.
866.963.4520 | info@ind-distribution.com

Last edited by IND-Distribution; 04-06-2023 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
Jeg_e90m3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 x-Drive Comp

Garage List
pretty interested in this. Any photo's of what it looks like installed compared to stock?
Appreciate 1
kaveh_h64.50
      05-09-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
ToMorNotToM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BSM G80 M3

this seems promising for us three pedal dinos
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
Yas_sir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80

Anyone install this? Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
AhsanU3829.50
      08-29-2022, 04:21 PM   #5
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas_sir View Post
Anyone install this? Thoughts?
I have.

Not trying to gloat or brag, but I have about $25k in mods on the car, and can tell you that one of the most impactful and worthwhile mods I've done is the SSK from Future Classic made by Rogue Engineering. I welcome anyone in the tri-state area to try it out if they wanna feel the shifter. I've had one forum member feel it and he agreed - it changes the experience and makes it that much more fun
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 05:44 PM   #6
Yas_sir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
I have.

Not trying to gloat or brag, but I have about $25k in mods on the car, and can tell you that one of the most impactful and worthwhile mods I've done is the SSK from Future Classic made by Rogue Engineering. I welcome anyone in the tri-state area to try it out if they wanna feel the shifter. I've had one forum member feel it and he agreed - it changes the experience and makes it that much more fun
Def appreciate the feedback. Stock shifter is def too rubbery for my taste

I was originally looking at auto solutions, but production seems to be very delayed. Then started looking at CAE, but think it would be too aggressive for what I want. So this seemed like a great alternative. I might go ahead with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 12:49 AM   #7
Hoovzz777
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 g80

Quote:
I have.

Was the installation hard?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 03:41 PM   #8
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Bump. Any videos of shifting through the gears with this? How many hours is the install?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 12:16 AM   #9
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Bump. Any videos of shifting through the gears with this? How many hours is the install?
Depends on the shop that's doing it and their experience really.

I did the CDV delete (another must IMO) alongside the SSK and was charged 4 hours for that job by experienced folks at BimmerClinic/MaximumPSI.

I'll eventually have videos of me banging through the gears and demonstrating the difference in throws as well as the quick shifts that can be attained through the SSK in tandem with the CDV delete and BMS clutch stop. I'm looking to buy a DJI Action 3 soon and making some small videos to demonstrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovzz777 View Post
I wouldn't know, but I'm sure if you're handy with your car, you can do it eventually.
Appreciate 1
DBV778.50
      03-27-2023, 11:22 PM   #10
M4T8
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G82 M4 (Insta M4_Scorpio)

Installed on 3/25/23 on 2023 G82 M4

Quote:
I have.

^^ *It seems like* this person is sponsored by Rogue Engineering or something because I BARELY notice a difference between the stock shifter and the SSK. If it wasn't a BEAST to install, then I'd recommend it anyway. BUT, DAMN!

1. MUST have a 2 Post LIFT
2. MUST remove the exhaust, and transmission mount (remember to support the tranny), must remove about 6' of heat shield (easy), MUST disconnect the drive shaft.
3. Then there is the rubber seal/boot, which *snaps* if you're not careful, accessed after you disassemble the center console to get to the shifter lever which is nearly impossible to put back into place with the new gearshift assembly.

With experienced and professional help, this is a 3-5 hour job.

It's cool, but honestly NOT worth it. The difference is minimal at best and I regret having done it.
*The stock shifter wasn't that bad in hindsight*

Last edited by M4T8; 03-28-2023 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: I misused the term SSK and needed to replace it with "Rogue Engineering"
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 02:59 AM   #11
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4T8 View Post
^^ This person must have gotten paid by SSK or something because I BARELY notice a difference between the stock shifter and the SSK. If it wasn't a BEAST to install, then I'd recommend it anyway. BUT, DAMN!

1. MUST have a 2 Post LIFT
2. MUST remove the exhaust, and transmission mount (remember to support the tranny), must remove about 6' of heat shield (easy), MUST disconnect the drive shaft.
3. Then there is the rubber seal/boot, which *snaps* if you're not careful, accessed after you disassemble the center console to get to the shifter lever which is nearly impossible to put back into place with the new gearshift assembly.

With experienced and professional help, this is a 3-5 hour job.

It's cool, but honestly NOT worth it. The difference is minimal at best and I regret having done it.
lol.

I'm not sponsored by anyone and have never been paid to promote a product. The only part I have ever received a discount for is my axle back from GTHaus, so no. Also, SSK stands for short shift kit, it's not a company. FutureClassic sell the SSK and Rogue Engineering actually create it.

You must have either installed it incorrectly or received a faulty unit. Given your issues during install, it could be either or both, but I'm leaning towards the former as a professional shop literally charged me 2 hours of labour for the SSK install and 4 hours to do both the SSK and the CDV removal.

The people that have driven my car have had only positive things to say and they also echo my sentiments. There is also a person I'm on a 6MT group chat with on Instagram that installed it and he feels exactly as I do. If you feel as strongly as you do, you should send it back and get a new one from FC/Rogue Engineering or whomever you bought the kit from.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #12
M4T8
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G82 M4 (Insta M4_Scorpio)

*NOT* An 'Easy' Install but doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovzz777 View Post
As I mentioned in the post above, it's not an easy install. I've done over $20k in mods to my '23 G82 and installed (with or without help) all but the suspension from H&R & wheels from Apex.

Forums are for us to share our thoughts, experiences, and opinions based on those experiences. I took the post by another in this thread seriously and, based upon their recommendation, purchased the SSK by Rogue Engineering. With professional help, I did the installation and it was a BEAST! Fun, but a beast! If you are not a femme ladyboy with manicured hands like another in this thread and you like doing your own work, it is one way to get to know your car WELL!

I'm not sponsored by anyone nor do I 'toss the salad' of any manufacturers of aftermarket parts (as seen here > https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=SSK ) so my opinions and experiences are totally unbiased. I've been driving manual transmissions for 30+ years with dozens of track days and happily go over over 100 MPH every single day

In my honest opinion, the difference between the stock shifter and the SSK from Rogue Engineering is minimal/negligible. If you love adding mods, and have the equipment, tools, and help ... then go for it! If you like adding everything possible to your Bimmer and know a reputable shop that does great work and want the best SSK on the market, then do it!

If you think there is going to be a marked or huge difference in the 'driving experience' from this SSK, then you will likely be disappointed. Just my honest opinion and I hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 10:51 AM   #13
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4T8 View Post
As I mentioned in the post above, it's not an easy install. I've done over $20k in mods to my '23 G82 and installed (with or without help) all but the suspension from H&R & wheels from Apex.

Forums are for us to share our thoughts, experiences, and opinions based on those experiences. I took the post by another in this thread seriously and, based upon their recommendation, purchased the SSK by Rogue Engineering. With professional help, I did the installation and it was a BEAST! Fun, but a beast! If you are not a femme ladyboy with manicured hands like another in this thread and you like doing your own work, it is one way to get to know your car WELL!

I'm not sponsored by anyone nor do I 'toss the salad' of any manufacturers of aftermarket parts (as seen here > https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=SSK ) so my opinions and experiences are totally unbiased. I've been driving manual transmissions for 30+ years with dozens of track days and happily go over over 100 MPH every single day

In my honest opinion, the difference between the stock shifter and the SSK from Rogue Engineering is minimal/negligible. If you love adding mods, and have the equipment, tools, and help ... then go for it! If you like adding everything possible to your Bimmer and know a reputable shop that does great work and want the best SSK on the market, then do it!

If you think there is going to be a marked or huge difference in the 'driving experience' from this SSK, then you will likely be disappointed. Just my honest opinion and I hope this helps
Absolutely golden post my macho-man friend. I'm sure your fingernails were greasy, dirty, and calloused as you angrily typed away your passive aggressive response

You've no idea who I am, what I do for a living, my mechanical knowledge and ability to perform work on my car, or what's going on in my life; but apparently because I don't wrench on my own car, I'm a femme ladyboy your ad hominem attacks are enough to genuinely discredit what you have to say opinion wise, but I'll leave that for other readers to judge.

But lol, saying that I'm tossing any vendor/manufacturers salad because I reviewed their product and recommended it is hilarious. That'd be akin to you leaving a positive review for your H&R springs, and me highlighting the word H&R in your post, then saying you too are tossing the salad of H&R. Are you "tossing" H&R's salad just because you think it's a great set of springs and wanted to share your positive experience? No. I had a positive experience with my SSK, so I shared it. If you feel differently, feel free to share but the ad hominem attacks and baseless accusations that I'm clearly paid by FC/RE are stupid. I could just as easily say you're sponsored by a rivaling company and take your post's credibility away, but I'm not because I'm not a sniveling moron like you are.

Again, I'm not sponsored by FC/RE, and don't promote any products that I don't personally stand behind. I would say that I'm sorry your experience didn't live up to your expectation, but given how you fling insults disguised as a response, I couldn't care less.
Appreciate 1
M4T89.00
      11-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #14
IND-Distribution
Rep

The Rogue Engineering Full OCTANE G8X Short Shift Kit with adjustable shifter throw/height is now available from IND
      01-09-2024, 12:01 PM   #15
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

anybody try this? any reviews?
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 01:42 PM   #16
IND-Distribution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
anybody try this? any reviews?
We installed one in our G87 and we like the improvement. Not overly notchy, but significantly cleans up the feel and much shorter throws.
      01-09-2024, 01:56 PM   #17
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

thanks.. how hard is install?
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 03:18 PM   #18
IND-Distribution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
thanks.. how hard is install?
Unfortunately a little more involved than the more oldschool shift lever-only retrofits. You have to lower the trans a couple inches in order to get the new shift carrier installed.

Depending on facilities and comfort, it's a 2-3 hour job.