BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

06-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Local dealership just sold used m3 for 15k over...

Local dealership here just received a IOMG w/ Silverstone Buckets ('22, RWD) , MSRP was $85k had about 4k miles on it.

It just sold for $99,400.

I honestly thought that thing would sit being that overpriced, but it was sold 3 days after it got listed.

Why are people paying almost $15k over sticker for a RWD model?

At this point, I honestly think I can drive the one I got coming in for a year and probably exit at close to even...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #2
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM3 View Post
Local dealership here just received a IOMG w/ Silverstone Buckets ('22, RWD) , MSRP was $85k had about 4k miles on it.

It just sold for $99,400.

I honestly thought that thing would sit being that overpriced, but it was sold 3 days after it got listed.

Why are people paying almost $15k over sticker for a RWD model?

At this point, I honestly think I can drive the one I got coming in for a year and probably exit at close to even...
This is the time to sell. As the recession comes and supply chain issues resolve we will see used car prices drop. I could be wrong but a year from now we will not see these premiums.
Appreciate 3
Patton2502939.50
      06-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #3
M4Tejas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Lightbulb

.......because it's a free country

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic
https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTEJAS View Post
.......because it's a free country
Oh ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
22M4C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Competition Converti

This is how I got my allocation… dealer had used M4 with 4k miles selling for $10K over original MSRP/sticker. Said I can take a current allocation coming in and change to my options for MSRP but would need to wait 4 months. So I basically am getting more car for less…just waiting. That was 4/28. 5 weeks later my car is at the port for the last 10 days waiting for a boat, specked out just how I want it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #6
Vector7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

It’s insane to me that people are willing to pay these markups. Where do people get the money to blow?? I’m clearly doing something wrong…
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22M4C View Post
This is how I got my allocation… dealer had used M4 with 4k miles selling for $10K over original MSRP/sticker. Said I can take a current allocation coming in and change to my options for MSRP but would need to wait 4 months. So I basically am getting more car for less…just waiting. That was 4/28. 5 weeks later my car is at the port for the last 10 days waiting for a boat, specked out just how I want it.
Yes so I guess what I’m trying to say is are we transitioning to this type of system where depreciation is stretched out a little longer with more “special” cars being on order basis or are things going to back to the way they were before?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #8
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Yes so I guess what I’m trying to say is are we transitioning to this type of system where depreciation is stretched out a little longer with more “special” cars being on order basis or are things going to back to the way they were before?
I think automakers are putting in their best efforts to maintain this current system as long as they can get a chunk of the profits for themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an online ordering system similar to Tesla's, with a few adjustments so manufacturers can get a share of the profits dealers have been seeing. I can see automakers having multiple ordering options. "Saver" option you get the car at MSRP but you absorb the lead time hit, however long that may be. A "Standard" option you pay MSRP + $5k and lead time is reduced to half. "Expedited Option" which gets you your car within 1 month but costs an extra $10k.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #9
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we see an online ordering system similar to Tesla's, with a few adjustments so manufacturers can get a share of the profits dealers have been seeing.
Yep

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...o-negotiation/
      06-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #10
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

There's a sucker born every minute....
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 3
      06-03-2022, 10:44 PM   #11
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I think automakers are putting in their best efforts to maintain this current system as long as they can get a chunk of the profits for themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an online ordering system similar to Tesla's, with a few adjustments so manufacturers can get a share of the profits dealers have been seeing. I can see automakers having multiple ordering options. "Saver" option you get the car at MSRP but you absorb the lead time hit, however long that may be. A "Standard" option you pay MSRP + $5k and lead time is reduced to half. "Expedited Option" which gets you your car within 1 month but costs an extra $10k.
Yeah, it seems like this is the way its headed. I know in Europe, most of the time people had to order their cars and wait 3-6 months, correct? Maybe I'm wrong on that, but coulda sworn I had seen a few YouTubers discuss that it was normal to order and just wait for your car in EU.

I really don't think the supply chain issues are as bad now as they were, but we still see cars continue to sell way over sticker. I don't see it correcting anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 06:58 AM   #12
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Yeah, it seems like this is the way its headed. I know in Europe, most of the time people had to order their cars and wait 3-6 months, correct? Maybe I'm wrong on that, but coulda sworn I had seen a few YouTubers discuss that it was normal to order and just wait for your car in EU.
2-4 months is the typical timeline for most countries outside NA even pre covid.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:05 AM   #13
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nal13 View Post
This is the time to sell. As the recession comes and supply chain issues resolve we will see used car prices drop. I could be wrong but a year from now we will not see these premiums.
No man you are totally right. It’s depressing because the last five years were really awesome as the economy skyrocketed and unemployment for all Americans plummeted. Now we’re going to see the opposite and it’s already started.

OP let me answer your question as to why someone would pay 15K over for a car. For any product for that matter. Because they can and they want it. That’s it. Capitalism 101.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:07 AM   #14
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassComp View Post
That’s so lame. Let me help you out with your definition. It always brings clarity to the situation.

Sucker = A people or person with the financial means to buy whatever they want however they want and generally have more financial means then MassComp.

You’re welcome.
Appreciate 1
GGG333603.50
      06-04-2022, 07:30 AM   #15
HawaiiG80Green
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
That's so lame. Let me help you out with your definition. It always brings clarity to the situation.

Sucker = A people or person with the financial means

That's so lame. Let me help you out with your definition. It always brings clarity to the situation.

Sucker = A people or person with the financial means to buy whatever they want however they want and generally have more financial means then MassComp.

You're welcome. [/QUOTE]

100% Agree to this statement. I paid $15k over msrp on our G63 back in February. Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:38 AM   #16
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector7 View Post
It’s insane to me that people are willing to pay these markups. Where do people get the money to blow?? I’m clearly doing something wrong…
I have one anecdotal answer: a lot of buyers paying impulsive impatient ADM are in real estate. And most of those are single divorced males with money burning holes in their bedazzled white thread jean pockets.
12K plus shipping is the latest must-have-it new car from my friend's realtor coworker who is the aforementioned demographic. Sold a Supra, didn't want to wait 4 years for his z06 allocation. Now he gets to wear a flat brim hat, super tight tshirt with gothic wings, and show off his BMW sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:38 AM   #17
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That’s so lame. Let me help you out with your definition. It always brings clarity to the situation.

You’re welcome.
Money is not an issue for me fortunately, I'm cheap I admit, but I've always frowned upon predatory sales practices like what's currently happening in certain markets, like autos and watches.

And IMO if someone pays a high markup on a superfluous purchase, like on a new M3 or Rolex Daytona, then yes you're a sucker since you are just lining the pockets of a middle man....
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 4
Rux643.50
MMM.PWR3452.00
Seedster2279.00
cbertels1215.50
      06-04-2022, 07:42 AM   #18
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You’re welcome.
Money is not an issue for me fortunately, I'm cheap I admit, but I've always frowned upon predatory sales practices like what's currently happening in certain markets, like autos and watches.

And IMO if someone pays a high markup on a superfluous purchase, like on a new M3 or Rolex Daytona, then yes you're a sucker....
Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome.

And IMO if someone pays a high markup on a superfluous purchase, like on a new M3 or Rolex Daytona, then yes you're a sucker....
Please refer back to your definition of sucker. It does help bring clarity to your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:49 AM   #19
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please refer back to your definition of sucker. It does help bring clarity to your opinion.
Seems we both have an opinion on this subject.

If you paid ADM on your BMW, my condolences....

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:56 AM   #20
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Seems we both have an opinion on this subject.

If you paid ADM on your BMW, my condolences....

Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome.

OK I'm gonna have to charge you $200 for free counseling here shortly.

I have extremely strong contacts with Rolex and somewhat strong contacts with AP and Patek. (I wish they were stronger with these two). I have never paid a dime over retail for any watch I own and I have quite an extensive collection. I did not pay over for my G80 xdrive. Not a single penny. In fact after everything was done I actually got it discounted a little. And a priority Build.

Your opinion rings a bitterness and jealousy not wisdom and prudence. Are these other people that agree with you? Of course there are and those people are also bitter and jealous. I know of a guy that paid over $100,000 for a chandelier in his foyer that's a replica of Tony Starks chest power piece. Lol. Would you pay that much money for that? Doubtful so he's a sucker to you. $100,000 to you and I might be completely different in value to someone else. That $100,000 to them might be the same feeling to you and I about $10,000. When you judge so harshly how someone else handles their money it does not look favorably upon you. I would think you would have a close family member or friend who could read what you wrote and tell you the same thing.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2022, 07:57 AM   #21
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiG80Green View Post
100% Agree to this statement. I paid $15k over msrp on our G63 back in February. Lol
Maybe it's a generational thing, but paying $15k over MSRP is nothing to be proud of....best to keep info like this to yourself.
Appreciate 1
MMM.PWR3452.00
      06-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #22
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your opinion rings a bitterness and jealousy not wisdom and prudence. Are these other people that agree with you? Of course there are and those people are also bitter and jealous. I know of a guy that paid over $100,000 for a chandelier in his foyer that's a replica of Tony Starks chest power piece. Lol. Would you pay that much money for that? Doubtful so he's a sucker to you. $100,000 to you and I might be completely different in value to someone else. That $100,000 to them might be the same feeling to you and I about $10,000. When you judge so harshly how someone else handles their money it does not look favorably upon you. I would think you would have a close family member or friend who could read what you wrote and tell you the same thing.

I don't think his opinion rings jealousy or bitterness. I'm not well off by any means, but I just can't see how you drop $15k more than MSRP on a used car that's not even the top trim. But I get it, people are entitled to do whatever they want with their money. I do, however, still find it odd that it's happening with M3/M4. They aren't even limited production.

The reason I even made this thread was to hear from others on what they thought in regards to the current market situation. That is, for the past 14-16 months, I've heard "wait it out, this bubble will burst" etc... but if anything, the cars that I have been browsing seem to be selling far more than their value, and they continue rising.

I get someone said "because its a free country" or "because they have the means to do it." But those people with means to do it, most likely will always have means to do it and maybe this is somewhat close to the new norm?

I wont complain on my end. I got to drive my M2C for a good 6 months and sold it at a profit. If I can do the same with the G80 and drive it for a year and break even, there's no way I wont continue to take advantage of this market and enjoy different cars in the meantime.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50