BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-22-2022, 11:59 AM   #1
N0Carrier
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

Looking to get back into another BMW, possible m3 competition xdrive -a few questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi everyone, I've taken a hiatus from BMWs for a while.

I used to own an e60 M5 and an e39 504i touring. So far I'm at 2 strikes with the e60 rod bearing failures and the e39 nikasil liner problems (along with the sub par cooling system and timing chain guide issues)

I took a break and went back to my comfort zone and picked up a GTR for the last several years.

With used GTR values being what they are, I'm tempted to sell and get into an M3 comp. xdrive

1. How reliable on a whole are turbocharged bimmers these days? I know early 335s and what not had high pressure fuel pump issues, and GDI engines have carbon deposit issues.
2. How reliable is the G80 platform?
3. I've been told wait time is approx 3 months to order one? What are the chances of getting one at or slightly below MSRP these days? I'm on the west coast.
4. in RWD mode, is the car noticeably/measurably any faster in the top end since its driving two fewer wheels?
5. For those that drag race, what kind of trap speeds are stock G80s turning? I've seen roughly 121-122, but a few magazines have quoted 124mph. The reason I ask is I'm hoping the M3 to give me about the same amount of grunt my GTR does, while adding a bit more practicality to the mix.
6. I'm buying this car to drive, not collect, but just curious as to what you think the depreciation is going to be in the 5-10 year range? I know just now e46s are starting to creep back up.

thanks for your consideration
Appreciate 1
g80z673.00
      11-22-2022, 12:21 PM   #2
g80z
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: honda civicghini

Garage List
The reliability for the s58 is extremely strong, just a more built b58 with an additional turbo. I have seen this guy run 10s on a mechanically stock g80 on a solid tire setup. 3 months... that's far from the truth if you plan on ordering. I have had a luckily quick turnaround on my incoming g80 and I'm approaching month four but the car has yet to ship it's all a lottery these days about getting an allocation and then getting a ship. Some people have waited between 10-1 year, if you find a dealer with an allocation that'll tremendously cut down your wait. I got mine for MSRP and I'm from NorCal but if you take a look in the regional section there tend to be real updated lists of MSRP dealers in the respected area. As for depreciation, I believe these cars will take a dip within the next few years but given the grand scheme of things maybe creep back up in 7-10 years due to them being the last real m3/4. Good Luck I hope you join the g8x team!
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0Carrier View Post

I can chime in on a few, hope this helps.

2. How reliable is the G80 platform? VERY -- the fatal flaw of the e9x was the rod bearings, f8x was the crank hub, no one knows about the g8x yet but it's rumored to be the steering rack (?). Either way, these are much more reliable than the previous gen and pretty much bullet proof assuming you run a stock tune.

3. I've been told wait time is approx 3 months to order one? What are the chances of getting one at or slightly below MSRP these days? I'm on the west coast. Close to a 0% chance if you buy off the lot lol, if you order then you should get one at MSRP. Could be wrong here

4. in RWD mode, is the car noticeably/measurably any faster in the top end since its driving two fewer wheels? No, RWD will always be faster on the top end. This is because it doesn't have the additional 100lbs on the front axle. There was a drag vid posted by C&D (or some company). Off the line, the x-drive smoked the rwd. But after 130mph+ the rwd pulled a car length or so on the x-drive.

6. I'm buying this car to drive, not collect, but just curious as to what you think the depreciation is going to be in the 5-10 year range? I know just now e46s are starting to creep back up. Hard to say. But the LCI won't help. The G8X LCI (new headlights and tails) is due spring/summer of 2023 I believe, so pretty soon.

thanks for your consideration
Hope this helps

Last edited by Tall Tom Cruise; 11-22-2022 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
ominousM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp Xdrive

The G82 M4 Xdrive is a lot like a GTR at the drag strip. I was surprised to see my car running faster than mostly stock GTR's at the track the day I was there. The S58 is like the VR38DETT in that they are fairly detuned from the factory and you can gain a lot.

With JB4 on lowest setting (map1) I ran a 10.96 @126.8 on pzeroes which are not good for drag racing.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #5
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominousM4 View Post
The G82 M4 Xdrive is a lot like a GTR at the drag strip. I was surprised to see my car running faster than mostly stock GTR's at the track the day I was there. The S58 is like the VR38DETT in that they are fairly detuned from the factory and you can gain a lot.

With JB4 on lowest setting (map1) I ran a 10.96 @126.8 on pzeroes which are not good for drag racing.
Why would you be surprised at that? Pretty much the same car. I was a bit disappointed when the new M cars were running the same times as a 10 year old GTR. Should have been a bit quicker stock in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 04:28 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Why would you be surprised at that? Pretty much the same car. I was a bit disappointed when the new M cars were running the same times as a 10 year old GTR. Should have been a bit quicker stock in my opinion.
The M2/3/4 was never just about drag times. The M240i was beating base M2's iirc on the drag strip when the M2 came out. German's don't traditionally prioritize the drag strip as much as 'merica.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #7
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
The M2/3/4 was never just about drag times. The M240i was beating base M2's iirc on the drag strip when the M2 came out. German's don't traditionally prioritize the drag strip as much as 'merica.
I agree. It's just 90% of people on this forum are all about it. Until they lose, then it's all about the road course. Lol
Appreciate 3
Gfit2716.00
jmg18710.50
g80z673.00