BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-05-2022, 07:08 AM   #1
rgoldm2
Rep
Drives: g82

Any 911 owners?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Can someone comment on the comparison of a g80 to a 911. I know the 911 new is much more expensive. I'm talking more about a 2017-2019 991.2 compared to a new g80. Ignoring warranty etc type issues. How do they compare from a driving perspective?

Yes I have actually driven both of them but months apart and for 10 mins each. I have a g80 manual that's at port and will prob arrive in 4 weeks or so but I'm worried it's not going to be a fun enough weekend car. I have a daily already.

My prior weekend car was a Alfa 4c which was a lot of fun but lacked any refinement or comforts. I also owned a Stelvio quadrifolgio as a daily with that. I was kinda bored by that car after a few months though. I'd like a better balance compared to the 4c but I'm not looking for a daily driver. I also really want the option to put my children in the rear occasionally so I don't want a two seater.

I understand this is a g80 forum but hoping for some unbiased opinions. Just a discussion, not knocking either car. I've been on here as I'm waiting for delivery of my g80
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12973.50
      02-05-2022, 08:56 AM   #2
rkusmc
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CompX Convertible

I have had a 991.1 and a 991.2 (daily drove both for 3 years each, in Chicago). Both are more fun than a G83 (I just picked one up in Dec) because of the way you can feel the road (they feel like go-karts compared to a G8X). With that said, the G8X is fun enough for me and a lot more practical/refined. There is still much fun that can be had in this car and at such a value. The things that made me go G83 was that is is a lot easier/livable daily and that the build I did for Porsche was about $150K and I didn't feel it was worth the difference (or the wait). So it was more about value and fun, not about my ability to afford a 911
Appreciate 2
nathanm4683.00
translux481.00
      02-05-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

M3/M4 vs 911 https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779987

BMW M3 v 911 Carrera Track Test [Carwow] https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1892560

Feel like a lot of people on here (myself included) have cross-shopped the two. I'm still waiting on a G80 allocation, and it seems a 992 allocation is even harder to get. Those two forums I added might help give you some opinions on the matter. The overall consensus seems to be that when it comes to value, the G8X is hard to beat. You can get one fully loaded for the price of a base 992. If you want 6MT like myself, you're going to have to get a CarreraS, so you're looking at spending roughly 40-60K more. Practically speaking, you obviously can't compare a 4-door grocery-getter to a two seater you might not be able to fit your golf clubs in. However, when people speak of pure driving dynamics, nothing drives like a 911. If this is just going to be a weekend car, and your budget allows it (and you can find one), I'd go for a 992 all day! Check those forums out though, maybe they will help give you some clarity.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you were asking about the 991.1 and 991.2. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #4
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkusmc View Post
I have had a 991.1 and a 991.2 (daily drove both for 3 years each, in Chicago). Both are more fun than a G83 (I just picked one up in Dec) because of the way you can feel the road (they feel like go-karts compared to a G8X). With that said, the G8X is fun enough for me and a lot more practical/refined. There is still much fun that can be had in this car and at such a value. The things that made me go G83 was that is is a lot easier/livable daily and that the build I did for Porsche was about $150K and I didn't feel it was worth the difference (or the wait). So it was more about value and fun, not about my ability to afford a 911
I mirror this 100%. I had a 2015 911s PDK and it was more fun to drive and felt more connected to the road. It was also my weekend car as my other is a Jeep rubicon. That said, I have a young one that I never took in the car with me and wanted to have something that I could fit my family in to enjoy at times my weekend fun car. Yes the 911 has back seats, but no way your fitting a car seat and a passenger in the front all together. Not to mention the safety, I did not feel comfortable sticking my toddler in the back of that thing period. So it sat and I didn't drive it much.

Additionally, I also feel the car was too good at being more hardcore and honestly was not fun to cruise in. I felt like I had to push it well over legal speeds to enjoy the car for what it was. Also I did not have a glass roof so I felt very enclosed. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice car and it was fun to drive, but was not really a car for my needs at this time in my life. Car was very dependable and no issues either.

The G80 manual has been a great balance. I have not had a manual in over 11 years and I think that really helped here. Not to mention I ordered it the way I wanted. The steering feel is much more numb than the 911, but that's expected, but also still has enough feel of the road for me to be ok with it. And the best thing of all is I can take my family with me if I want even as a weekend car. My daughters car seat is still sitting in it for when I want to take her out in it. This is what was important to me and she loves riding in daddy's fun car.

So between the two, completely different cars and hard to compare, but for the Swiss Army knife of vehicles, the G80 is that car and I'll be good with it for a good bit. Until I get bored with it and move on as I have a bad habit of doing. Lol.
ChrisM41627.50
      02-05-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkusmc View Post
I mirror this 100%. I had a 2015 911s PDK and it was more fun to drive and felt more connected to the road. It was also my weekend car as my other is a Jeep rubicon. That said, I have a young one that I never took in the car with me and wanted to have something that I could fit my family in to enjoy at times my weekend fun car. Yes the 911 has back seats, but no way your fitting a car seat and a passenger in the front all together. Not to mention the safety, I did not feel comfortable sticking my toddler in the back of that thing period. So it sat and I didn't drive it much.

Additionally, I also feel the car was too good at being more hardcore and honestly was not fun to cruise in. I felt like I had to push it well over legal speeds to enjoy the car for what it was. Also I did not have a glass roof so I felt very enclosed. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice car and it was fun to drive, but was not really a car for my needs at this time in my life. Car was very dependable and no issues either.

The G80 manual has been a great balance. I have not had a manual in over 11 years and I think that really helped here. Not to mention I ordered it the way I wanted. The steering feel is much more numb than the 911, but that's expected, but also still has enough feel of the road for me to be ok with it. And the best thing of all is I can take my family with me if I want even as a weekend car. My daughters car seat is still sitting in it for when I want to take her out in it. This is what was important to me and she loves riding in daddy's fun car.

So between the two, completely different cars and hard to compare, but for the Swiss Army knife of vehicles, the G80 is that car and I'll be good with it for a good bit. Until I get bored with it and move on as I have a bad habit of doing. Lol.
This is why you need a 8 car garage. today you feel like a hooligan, tomorrow you feel like cushy cruising. Cars are like shoes..purpose built. You don't jog in ugg boots.

Someone really need to perfect a car share service.
      02-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #6
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post

Someone really need to perfect a car share service.
https://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/

Not perfected nor cheap but makes sense in cities.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoldm2 View Post
Can someone comment on the comparison of a g80 to a 911. I know the 911 new is much more expensive. I'm talking more about a 2017-2019 991.2 compared to a new g80. Ignoring warranty etc type issues. How do they compare from a driving perspective?

Yes I have actually driven both of them but months apart and for 10 mins each. I have a g80 manual that's at port and will prob arrive in 4 weeks or so but I'm worried it's not going to be a fun enough weekend car. I have a daily already.

My prior weekend car was a Alfa 4c which was a lot of fun but lacked any refinement or comforts. I also owned a Stelvio quadrifolgio as a daily with that. I was kinda bored by that car after a few months though. I'd like a better balance compared to the 4c but I'm not looking for a daily driver. I also really want the option to put my children in the rear occasionally so I don't want a two seater.

I understand this is a g80 forum but hoping for some unbiased opinions. Just a discussion, not knocking either car. I've been on here as I'm waiting for delivery of my g80
Have you thought about a used m2 if you want more refinement than a 4c and a backseat?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 04:16 PM   #8
rgoldm2
Rep
Drives: g82

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Have you thought about a used m2 if you want more refinement than a 4c and a backseat?
I have. I was planning to go m2c but figured I'd get more with a g80. It also allows less restriction to the auto rev matching(the g80). Any insight into the two? I've never driven the m2 or m2c
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:06 AM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

To answer the original question, succinctly: For a weekend toy, it's the 911. You know, money no object, etc.

My last 911 was a 991.1 and I found it very disappointing. I have not driven the 991.2 or 992. I have no plans to, as they are just too expensive for me, and I think the Boxster/Cayman is a better car.

Quote:
I was planning to go m2c but figured I'd get more with a g80. It also allows less restriction to the auto rev matching(the g80). Any insight into the two? I've never driven the m2 or m2c
I had an OG M2 6-speed. Fun little car, a lot more raw and less comfortable (and noisier) than the G8x, it had more understeer and yet less rear traction when powering out of turns, and I just didn't enjoy it like I do the G82, even though it's much larger and a smidgen heavier.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #10
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I had an OG M2 6-speed. Fun little car, a lot more raw and less comfortable (and noisier) than the G8x, it had more understeer and yet less rear traction when powering out of turns, and I just didn't enjoy it like I do the G82, even though it's much larger and a smidgen heavier.
My G82 replaced the old M2C.
The driving experience between the two is substantially different IMO.
If you like the raw, go-kart feel, road noise and firmer ride, F87 will provide more of that.
The G8x, on the other hand is a much more refined ride.
Bumps and cracks on the road doesn't jar your bones.
The car eats up road imperfections much better than the F8x, yet still feels planted and communicative, albeit not Porsche-level.

Having owned an AP2 S2000 over a decade ago and with extensive driving time in a Lotus Exige S, NSX, I thought I was geared more towards a hardcore driving experience.
But I find the G8x more pleasant yet still fun enough to drive.
Maybe I'm getting old, or I'm finally starting to appreciate wider spectrum of vehicles.
Appreciate 4
2011ninja3399.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
YamaLink425.00
      02-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #11
LifesAnesthesia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 G82, 911 992

I own a 992 and have orders a G82 for a daily. Speed is comparable but feel is night and day different as others have said.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #12
Cosworthstag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 G80

Just sold my daily AMG GT 63s so dailying 911 Tara 4s running 510bhp. Must say it's the best handing car ever driven. Hoping the M4 due April is going to fill the gap
      02-09-2022, 08:43 AM   #13
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
I currently have a 991.2 Carrera T and buying a new townhouse downtown (Oct. completion date) with a 2 car garage so my 3 car collection will need to be pared down to 2 (other car being my wife's Panamera ehybrid).

The other car is a Volt (my daily) so I need a car that does the 4 door thing (planning first child soon) and the fun thing simultaneously. I seriously considered the RS6 and a Taycan (EV tech is changing too fast), but the G80 M3 saves me about $40k and I could just use that cash to start a trust for the kid and forget about it for 18 years.

Just a bit more pragmatic with this when I'm paying cash for cars, the 911 is phenomenal but it has carbon bucket seats and rear seat delete (lightweight bro). I could make $30k vs. what I paid and it seems like a decent time to sell. I can't really daily that car and struggle to put 3k miles a year on it - at this point it's not worth keeping for the hassle.

To those that ask, I can't get a lift in the garage (8'-6" ceilings), that would have been the ideal scenario. And while I can use wife's panamera, she works as a nurse so she's gone for 13+ hours a day sometimes making the car unavailable.

I think the G80 will be the optimal blend of daily and fun for my needs and I'd be back in a BMW for the first time in 10+ years (had Z4M coupe, e46M, and 135i).
Attached Images

Last edited by Schn3ll; 02-09-2022 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: pic added
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12973.50
      02-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have a 991.2 GTS Cab and Im such a Porsche fanboy (nine 911's) that it would take an engineering masterpiece for me to not love it; the G8X is right there IMHO.

Maybe its more along of the lines that Im so impressed on how the G80 has improved on prior M's Ive owned that my create this feel but I really enjoy both cars almost equally whereas with my F80, F90, and even my F93- not so much.

lets toss price out and just talk about the metal:

Steering, BMW is still not there in feel and weight along but the G80 has narrowed the gap. Its point and shoot but not with the same exact precision that my GTS has.

Interior comfort- BMW is luxury and the GTS is sporty but both make me feel like Im in command of the car. The M is 4 years newer so the tech is better of course but I dont mind what the GTS has; I didnt buy it for the audio or android auto The seats are both equally comfortable and have good grip for my non buffet style body frame.

Handling- The BMW shocks me here again as it closes the gap but its not going to create the same road handling feel I get out of the 991.2- The G80 gets kudos just for improvement IMHO. Porsche engineering with its spring and damper set up continues to impress as each new 911 model comes out, it just grips and soaks up the bumps. The G80 does an incredible job here as well with all the heft it really carries. These dampers might be the best M dampers Ive engaged (12 M cars). Obvi the GTS is lighter but the G80 does a magnificent job of hiding its fatness LOL with the chassis/engineering improvements over prior iterations.

Engine/Sound- oh boy this one has me all torn up... the S58 begs to be ripped but so does the GTS flat 6. Both my cars are modded with aftermarket exhausts but the GTS with the Kline takes the cake here with that LeMans shriek almost all of us love to hear with higher rpms. But, damn the S58 makes me smile too.

Speed- Its close but the the X drive might just out launch my RWD GTS and then its very close at the quarter and 60 to 130's (stock vs stock).

So please remember these are my ownership views and my 991.2 is a cab so its slightly heavier than a normal one but its a GTS vs an S. Every day I drive the GTS Im impressed with the 4 plus year old car and Im equally impressed with the G80 when I get out of the Porsche and drive the same exact roads with the M car. Both cars inspire incredible confidence and really make it fun out there in the real world.

Kudos to M for narrowing the gap!! And mad props to Stuttgart for keeping a 4 year old car so damn relevant in the driving arena.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 8
      02-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #15
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
I currently have a 991.2 Carrera T and buying a new townhouse downtown (Oct. completion date) with a 2 car garage so my 3 car collection will need to be pared down to 2 (other car being my wife's Panamera ehybrid).

The other car is a Volt (my daily) so I need a car that does the 4 door thing (planning first child soon) and the fun thing simultaneously. I seriously considered the RS6 and a Taycan (EV tech is changing too fast), but the G80 M3 saves me about $40k and I could just use that cash to start a trust for the kid and forget about it for 18 years.

Just a bit more pragmatic with this when I'm paying cash for cars, the 911 is phenomenal but it has carbon bucket seats and rear seat delete (lightweight bro). I could make $30k vs. what I paid and it seems like a decent time to sell. I can't really daily that car and struggle to put 3k miles a year on it - at this point it's not worth keeping for the hassle.

To those that ask, I can't get a lift in the garage (8'-6" ceilings), that would have been the ideal scenario. And while I can use wife's panamera, she works as a nurse so she's gone for 13+ hours a day sometimes making the car unavailable.

I think the G80 will be the optimal blend of daily and fun for my needs and I'd be back in a BMW for the first time in 10+ years (had Z4M coupe, e46M, and 135i).
I had a 2018 Panamera 4s after the 991 hoping to check the 4 door box as well. Car drive like a mid size sedan and was nice, but the thing was a tank size wise and was always worried about running over curbs etc. Not to mention not many younger folks drive these things. Good car, but the G80 just works better and feels faster and the panny lasted only 4 months for me. Not to mention 6MT was just what I needed at many years without that made it even better.

I will say this and it sounds bad as there is a snob aspect in this, but you do feel more special driving a 911 or even the panny vs say my G80. Now the G80 is a great car and still higher end than many and I will even say so far I have gotten more looks in it than the 911, but something about the driving experience and yes, snob appeal of driving the P-Car. Having the Porsche crest on the steering well to boot that stares at you adds to that as well.
      02-09-2022, 09:21 PM   #16
DrAnzo2.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT

I am taking delivery of a tanzanite g80 xdrive with carbon buckets for my dd this May/June. I also have a deposit on a 992 C2S in 7-speed manual that should come in 18-24 months. I’m planning on using the 911 on weekends and when the weather is nice up here in Montana. Hopefully the m3 and C2S complement each other nicely…

In a perfect world I would be getting a GT3 instead of the C2S, but the ADMs on new GT3s right now are more than I can stomach. Even the GTS models are commanding a large ADM from most of the dealers I’ve spoke to.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      02-09-2022, 10:11 PM   #17
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAnzo2.0 View Post
I am taking delivery of a tanzanite g80 xdrive with carbon buckets for my dd this May/June. I also have a deposit on a 992 C2S in 7-speed manual that should come in 18-24 months. I'm planning on using the 911 on weekends and when the weather is nice up here in Montana. Hopefully the m3 and C2S complement each other nicely…

In a perfect world I would be getting a GT3 instead of the C2S, but the ADMs on new GT3s right now are more than I can stomach. Even the GTS models are commanding a large ADM from most of the dealers I've spoke to.
This is great, but can you answer the OP's original question? What is your experience if any with a 911 vs just ordering one with none?
      02-10-2022, 06:17 AM   #18
DrAnzo2.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is great, but can you answer the OP's original question? What is your experience if any with a 911 vs just ordering one with none?
Good point, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. I only have experience with 997/991/992 911s and the E92/F80 m3… but am buying the g80 m3 without any time behind the wheel. Haven’t been able to find one to test drive yet. Sounds like the g80 is a big step forward performance wise.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:19 AM   #19
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

These cars are night/day difference. 911 is like 500 lbs lighter. It handles and feels like a go cart compared to the huge and heavy M3. However it is a highly impractical weekend and short trip car. M3 is a great fun practical daily driver and long trip car even with MT. The 911 is more raw noisy performance than the M3 which is more refined. Apples and oranges...

Last edited by gohawks23; 02-10-2022 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 3
2011ninja3399.00
MannyS357.00
      02-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #20
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAnzo2.0 View Post
Quote:
Good point, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. I only have experience with 997/991/992 911s and the E92/F80 m3… but am buying the g80 m3 without any time behind the wheel. Haven’t been able to find one to test drive yet. Sounds like the g80 is a big step forward performance wise.
All good. I never was able to get a test drive either. First car I have ever purchased sight unseen with very little information. And unfortunately I have bought a lot of cars as I charge too much. You'll enjoy it though. It's a very nice car.
      02-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #21
DrAnzo2.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All good. I never was able to get a test drive either. First car I have ever purchased sight unseen with very little information. And unfortunately I have bought a lot of cars as I charge too much. You'll enjoy it though. It's a very nice car.
Seems like a lot of G8Xs on dealer lots are customer orders, so finding one to test drive is difficult right now. Just glad there’s so many reviews available to get an idea of what it’s like.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:53 PM   #22
r33_RGSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I have driven G80 M3 6MT for almost a month, while I have 997.1 C4S 6MT and 991.2 Carrera T PDK.

I personally would pick Porsche 991.2 over G80 M3.
Even though it is a bit disconnected compare to the 997, but it still better than G80 M3.

The suspension and transmission is quite numb.
Steering feedback is live-able since it is not much different than my F97 X3MC.
Attached Images

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0