BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-23-2024, 04:44 PM   #1
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

AC evaporator failure?

5k miles on my MY2023 car, last week noticed the car was blowing only cool air on the passenger and rear vents. The driver side vents blew coldish air on max AC. Dropped off the car yesterday and they said they don't know the cause but think it's the AC evaporator which sits inside the dash. Seems like a pretty invasive repair. I don't think I've seen anyone else with this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 07:53 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

That's pretty random, and an unlikely failure. I can't really tell from your post what your symptoms are. When you say cool air on the passenger and rear vents, is that full COLD air like the AC is working properly? Are you getting full cold air ANYWHERE? If so, that would mean your evaporator is working properly. And I would suspect the blending doors in the AC system to be at fault, not the evaporator. If you're not getting ANY cold air at all, then I would suspect the actual cooling system (evap, condensor or compressor) at fault. And honestly, the evap would be the last thing I would suspect since it's new and it's something that really only fails from rust. Unless it's just defective.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3403.50
      04-24-2024, 10:37 AM   #3
skyline408
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
That's pretty random, and an unlikely failure. I can't really tell from your post what your symptoms are. When you say cool air on the passenger and rear vents, is that full COLD air like the AC is working properly? Are you getting full cold air ANYWHERE? If so, that would mean your evaporator is working properly. And I would suspect the blending doors in the AC system to be at fault, not the evaporator. If you're not getting ANY cold air at all, then I would suspect the actual cooling system (evap, condensor or compressor) at fault. And honestly, the evap would be the last thing I would suspect since it's new and it's something that really only fails from rust. Unless it's just defective.
The symptoms are if you set max ac with dial control all the way in the 'cold' area. The driver side vents will blow cold AC air like it's supposed to, but the cold AC air tapers off the more you use the AC. The passenger vents and the rear vents only blows cool air (almost like no AC)

A quick search on this symptom shows it shows up quite a bit on G30 cars, but not so much on the G20s.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2042300

The possible evap issue is from the dealers mouth, which they have done a single day of testing with the car. I really_really hope it is not the evaporator as I saw what it. takes to get that replaced (everything from seats forward)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:49 AM   #4
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
It sucks, but failures happen. Nothing you can do but let them warranty it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:56 AM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
The symptoms are if you set max ac with dial control all the way in the 'cold' area. The driver side vents will blow cold AC air like it's supposed to, but the cold AC air tapers off the more you use the AC. The passenger vents and the rear vents only blows cool air (almost like no AC)

A quick search on this symptom shows it shows up quite a bit on G30 cars, but not so much on the G20s.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2042300

The possible evap issue is from the dealers mouth, which they have done a single day of testing with the car. I really_really hope it is not the evaporator as I saw what it. takes to get that replaced (everything from seats forward)
1. That's weird, but seems to be corroborated by the post you linked.
2. Honestly, I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep having the dash pulled apart like that. It'll go back together fine. Take lots of pics of the interior before you bring it in so you make sure there are no scratches that show up afterwards, otherwise...you're good.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:08 AM   #6
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

I have a g30 and just had this happen to it, 4k quote for repair, super involved requires removing the whole dash/steering column.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:56 PM   #7
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
Quote:
5k miles on my MY2023 car, last week noticed the car was blowing only cool air on the passenger and rear vents. The driver side vents blew coldish air on max AC. Dropped off the car yesterday and they said they don't know the cause but think it's the AC evaporator which sits inside the dash. Seems like a pretty invasive repair. I don't think I've seen anyone else with this issue?
How ironic. My 2023 M3 is in now for AC blowing warm on passenger side. Opposite of yours. I have had AC issues for the last year.

It came in from the factory with no refrigerant, then they determined an AC line was leaking, now a year later i'm getting the Evaporator replaced. I was told it is a big job as well, not super thrilled but what can you do.
2017 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White (traded in)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:21 PM   #8
skyline408
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisp97 View Post
How ironic. My 2023 M3 is in now for AC blowing warm on passenger side. Opposite of yours. I have had AC issues for the last year.

It came in from the factory with no refrigerant, then they determined an AC line was leaking, now a year later i'm getting the Evaporator replaced. I was told it is a big job as well, not super thrilled but what can you do.
Same on my car. The driver side blew cold ac air, but the longer your drove the car, the weaker it got. The passenger and rear vents blew much warmer air.
Appreciate 1
Krisp97299.50
      04-30-2024, 09:03 PM   #9
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Same on my car. The driver side blew cold ac air, but the longer your drove the car, the weaker it got. The passenger and rear vents blew much warmer air.
I feel some relief that I am not alone or going crazy. It got worse the higher the fan speed. When on Max AC, it makes it even worse. It can't keep up and passenger side goes nearly ambient temp. Driver side stays decently cool.

The evaporator is supposed to arrive soon but it's a big job getting access to it under the dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 05:02 AM   #10
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Had this happen to me. BMW denied warranty so I did it my self.

Bought a used newer core on eBay with a blower for about 250$. It’s a big pain in the ass to replace especially if you do it alone. Took me two days
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CJ4211560.50
      05-01-2024, 07:19 AM   #11
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
Why would they deny warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 08:13 AM   #12
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Bought a used newer core on eBay with a blower for about 250$. It’s a big pain in the ass to replace especially if you do it alone. Took me two days
That is crazy. How wasn’t that covered? I’ve never had an issue getting my issues approved in the 8 visits I’ve had for warranty issues
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 08:25 AM   #13
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
My car was modded to much according to them, although none of the mods had anything to do with the AC system.
Tried a few dealers around me and none happen to be aftermarket mod friendly.
Was for the better anyway.
I didn’t like the idea that a new tech would probably for the first time in his career rip up my dashboard out and not forget a few nuts and bolts at the end.

Funny thing, I did this twice.
The first time I took my evaporator to a radiator repair shop to have it repaired and that worked for about a month lol.
Next time I just bought the entire AC evaporator and blower assembly from
eBay and it’s been going strong ever since.

These do have a known weakness, same evaporators are used on a few different bmw models and I believe on the x3 they do have a service bulletin out for it.
Here is where the leak was and my initial fix which didn’t work. The evaporator pipes are very flimsy and to me it looks like a very poor design
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Krisp97299.50
      05-01-2024, 08:28 AM   #14
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
I replied in another post. Long reply
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:49 AM   #15
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My car was modded to much according to them, although none of the mods had anything to do with the AC system.
Tried a few dealers around me and none happen to be aftermarket mod friendly.
Was for the better anyway.
I didn’t like the idea that a new tech would probably for the first time in his career rip up my dashboard out and not forget a few nuts and bolts at the end.

Funny thing, I did this twice.
The first time I took my evaporator to a radiator repair shop to have it repaired and that worked for about a month lol.
Next time I just bought the entire AC evaporator and blower assembly from
eBay and it’s been going strong ever since.

These do have a known weakness, same evaporators are used on a few different bmw models and I believe on the x3 they do have a service bulletin out for it.
Here is where the leak was and my initial fix which didn’t work. The evaporator pipes are very flimsy and to me it looks like a very poor design
Interesting, I have been getting all of the misfortunate with the "known issues" on my car. Never in my life have I been so unlucky with a car. Had the common cold weather idler pulley squealing. finally fixed. Now this is my 4th visit for AC issues. Last year they replaced seals in the expansion valve, a low side AC line, and now this is happening.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:59 AM   #16
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Interesting, I have been getting all of the misfortunate with the "known issues" on my car. Never in my life have I been so unlucky with a car. Had the common cold weather idler pulley squealing. finally fixed. Now this is my 4th visit for AC issues. Last year they replaced seals in the expansion valve, a low side AC line, and now this is happening.
Just lemon the shit and get another one. Only way BMW will get the message. If they keep dicking you around, dick them around.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:59 AM   #17
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I feel you. The second time it happened to me I was close to selling my car. 100% would have sold it if the second fix didn’t solve the issue. But it seems they were having a hard time trying to actually diagnose what’s wrong with yours
Appreciate 1
Krisp97299.50
      05-01-2024, 11:41 AM   #18
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Just lemon the shit and get another one. Only way BMW will get the message. If they keep dicking you around, dick them around.
Far past that point, outside of the 1 year criteria and didnt expect to continue having issues. I have considered ordering a 2025 at times but prices have continued rising along with rates vs. when I bought mine.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3403.50
      05-01-2024, 11:43 AM   #19
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I feel you. The second time it happened to me I was close to selling my car. 100% would have sold it if the second fix didn’t solve the issue. But it seems they were having a hard time trying to actually diagnose what’s wrong with yours
Yes it does. They claimed to have seen dye leaking in those areas when they did previous repairs so that is why they amended those parts. Now somehow two days in to diagnosing this time, BMW instructed them to replace the evaporator which it now seems is a weak point. But like other things, BMWNA doesnt want to jump straight to that first.
Appreciate 1