BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-05-2023, 05:43 PM   #23
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exuberantwombat View Post
I'm having a hell of a time trying to pull of the two side plastic pieces. Can someone walk me through that part? No matter what I try nothing is budging.
Use a pry tool to get the bottom of the two pieces (towards the bottom of the windshield) apart, then at the top near the headliner, there are two pins (one on each side for each piece) that slot into the center piece that's glued onto the windshield. Pull those out, around the center piece and they should come right off.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 04:48 AM   #24
JPF711
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp xdrive

Garage List
All this info is great! Got the covers off, identified the black connector and see which wires to tap. But in the videos I don’t see how they are removing the black connector/plug. I can’t get it out to give me more room to work with. Does it pull strait out? Concerned I’ll break something. Am I best off leaving it in place and tapping? Not sure my meat hooks can get in there even with needle nose pliers.
Any tips greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:08 AM   #25
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF711 View Post
All this info is great! Got the covers off, identified the black connector and see which wires to tap. But in the videos I don’t see how they are removing the black connector/plug. I can’t get it out to give me more room to work with. Does it pull strait out? Concerned I’ll break something. Am I best off leaving it in place and tapping? Not sure my meat hooks can get in there even with needle nose pliers.
Any tips greatly appreciated!
No other suggestion than just straight brute-force. Get a needle-nose pliers, grab the connector, and pull straight up towards the roof.

You honestly don't need to take the connector out, just slide it into the connector wire hole and it'll work. The medium-sized taps work best, insert easily, and hold in well.
Appreciate 1
JPF71119.50
      01-24-2024, 02:36 PM   #26
JPF711
Rep

Garage List
Got her done. I think. Mistakes were made but none of them visable. Now have to test out all the electronics running through that connector to make sure they all work. And after soiling myself doing it I’ve decided to never touch a wire in the car again.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:44 PM   #27
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Got her done. I think. Mistakes were made but none of them visable. Now have to test out all the electronics running through that connector to make sure they all work. And after soiling myself doing it I’ve decided to never touch a wire in the car again.
You might get a battery warning if you let your car sit a couple of days. Since the car does not shut down immediately it must see the drain from the radar detector. It just tells you to “start the engine”. I fixed this by turning off my detector before shutting down the engine. I also wrapped the mirror tap with cloth tape to ensure it stays put and the cord does not rattle.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:54 PM   #28
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
You might get a battery warning if you let your car sit a couple of days. Since the car does not shut down immediately it must see the drain from the radar detector. It just tells you to “start the engine”. I fixed this by turning off my detector before shutting down the engine. I also wrapped the mirror tap with cloth tape to ensure it stays put and the cord does not rattle.
There is generally ignition on switched power wire for the mirrors that only provide power when ignition is in the On position. This is generally where you want to tap into. You just have to make sure you don’t tap the auto-dimming power wire as that’s generally switched off when you put the car in reverse and that can get annoying with the radar restarting. If you do it this way, then you don’t have to worry about turning it off each time with is tedious. You cut the engine off and the radar shuts down with it, no fuss no muss.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:37 PM   #29
JPF711
Rep

Garage List
Tapped where others have had luck, the brown wire and red wire. It does switch off about 6min after locking car. I did have an oops moment when lost my grip pulling/disconnecting the black plug which along with a bit too much force chipped a little plastic off the plug and , gulp, a tiny 1mm bit of insulation off a wire (white?) in the plug which I was able to wrap with electrical tape. Does have me wondering if everything is working up there. The car g82 has all the assistance options. No error messages. 20 mile road test didn’t notice anything amiss. Still have my fingers crossed that I didn’t mess up. I’ve actually done it before in an Audi, but this car is sooo much nicer I was sweating bullets.
Appreciate 2
kgelfen3602215.50
Tobster3630.50
      01-24-2024, 06:42 PM   #30
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tapped where others have had luck, the brown wire and red wire. It does switch off about 6min after locking car. I did have an oops moment when lost my grip pulling/disconnecting the black plug which along with a bit too much force chipped a little plastic off the plug and , gulp, a tiny 1mm bit of insulation off a wire (white?) in the plug which I was able to wrap with electrical tape. Does have me wondering if everything is working up there. The car g82 has all the assistance options. No error messages. 20 mile road test didn’t notice anything amiss. Still have my fingers crossed that I didn’t mess up. I’ve actually done it before in an Audi, but this car is sooo much nicer I was sweating bullets.
If you did enough damage to break the wire, it wouldn't be working at all, and you'd immediately get an error message. You're fine.
Appreciate 1
JPF71119.50
      01-24-2024, 06:51 PM   #31
JPF711
Rep

Garage List
Thanks!
Appreciate 0