BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-21-2023, 10:55 PM   #1
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 6MT Chalk/Fiona

2024 M3 Base vs 2019 Camaro SS 1LE

Hey Guys!

Recently Sold my Camaro and Have an M3 on order, should be delivered by end of December

Question for you guys, I have been looking at specs on both car and I noticed how the Base M3 has 10 more HP but 60 torque Less

I haven't been able to truly drive the new g80 m3 base as during test drive, they had no manual only a comp RWD and I definitely liked the power but how does it compare to the Base?

Ive driven and loved the f80 M3 in manual and DCT and thought both were awesome, is the new manual G80 faster than all of them?

Need to think about getting a JB4 if its slower than the Camaro, I wouldn't go past Map 1 as I liked the way the comp drove as far as power goes

what do you guys think? Will I notice the difference?
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2023, 11:38 PM   #2
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I don’t think you need to tune the m3 to keep up with a Camaro SS as both are likely to run low 12’s at about 115-120mph in the quarter mile. You are correct that the m3 is only up a small amount of power (published) but my assumption is that bmw underrates their actual power much more than Chevy.

I have a 6 spd m3 and while for bragging rights having 500+hp would be nice, I really can’t imagine a scenario on the road where more is necessary.
Appreciate 2
Llarry15993.50
eugenebmw1480.50
      09-22-2023, 04:50 AM   #3
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

If you’re picking a car because you want it to be faster than some other car then you’re doing it wrong.
2011ninja3396.00
VR1638.00
OUGrad05526.50
stormlv932.00
eugenebmw1480.50
a1gio2214.50
      09-22-2023, 07:36 AM   #4
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
You likely know this but the 8 speed is faster. I’ve had manuals my whole life and still love them but it’s unlikely you will ever be able to beat an M3 8 speed. The M3 comp XDrive has been recorded at 2.8 seconds 0-60 and should run the 1/4 about 11.5 or better. The 8 speed manual mode is pretty fast shifting when in S3 and shifting with the paddles. Fully understand why you want a manual but if you want faster than a 1LE I’d go with the comp with XDrive.

I also advise being careful with even a piggyback tune. If the tune alters the boost, BMW can see that in the DME. If you blow the engine BMW requires a dump of the DME and they will see the boost over spec and that would likely cause them to reject the claim even if the piggyback is removed prior.

Thanks for helping save the manuals! I’ve gotten to the point where I finally accept that the auto’s are faster even though the 8 speed is not as engaging as the M6. Also which they’d change the M6 to handle the additional tq of the Competion.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 09:51 AM   #5
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

The manual M4 is faster than the Camaro
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4261.50
eugenebmw1480.50
      09-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #6
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

I routinely race a ZL1 1LE at my local road course track. His lap times are lower because he has more tire and grip that I do on stock staggered Cup2* vs his Goodyear SC3Rs. However on the straights, I am marginally beating him to the braking zones in top speed.
      09-22-2023, 09:00 PM   #7
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowredlev View Post
Hey Guys!

Recently Sold my Camaro and Have an M3 on order, should be delivered by end of December

Question for you guys, I have been looking at specs on both car and I noticed how the Base M3 has 10 more HP but 60 torque Less

I haven't been able to truly drive the new g80 m3 base as during test drive, they had no manual only a comp RWD and I definitely liked the power but how does it compare to the Base?

Ive driven and loved the f80 M3 in manual and DCT and thought both were awesome, is the new manual G80 faster than all of them?

Need to think about getting a JB4 if its slower than the Camaro, I wouldn't go past Map 1 as I liked the way the comp drove as far as power goes

what do you guys think? Will I notice the difference?
I’ve owned 5 f-bodies (all with various levels of mods). The manual M3 can trap 121mph with a good driver on a decent surface. It’s faster than the 2015 ZL1 I owned previously. The Base M6 M3 actually dyno about the same as the comp above 4000-4500rpm. You’ll love it.
      09-23-2023, 10:31 AM   #8
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i xdrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Based on my tracking comparison and Novice+ driver.

BMW Xdrive comp is faster then Camaro ZL1 on a straight line, especially easy faster then SS. Also proven on some roads

On the track I was able to keep up after ZL1 and put some pressure on him feeling that I can go faster out of any corner. As result on the strainght lines opening I could jump out and pass him. But its long straight.

I think that you with Base model should be a little but still faster on straight and keep up on corners…. On the and it will be “dog fight” - all depends on pilot (sorry driver) refering to on of the best movies … Top Gun Maverick

Adding JB4 or min RaceChip is the way to go. You really should not blow up the enginee but this simple tune will just secure your advantage over SS models easier. Just wait for a break in period to be over.

Remember. I personally did not meet many standard Camaros, 90% have some mods already.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 05:28 PM   #9
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info guys! What I was worried about was the power feel during driving like on freeways, I do not race people or anything I just wanted to make sure going with the m3 I still stay the same regarding power feel, I’m getting the m3 because I like having 5 comfortable seats as well as having the power and that classic bmw interior
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:29 PM   #10
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys! What I was worried about was the power feel during driving like on freeways, I do not race people or anything I just wanted to make sure going with the m3 I still stay the same regarding power feel, I’m getting the m3 because I like having 5 comfortable seats as well as having the power and that classic bmw interior
Have no fear. The gearing is pretty deep compared to most manuals I’ve driven. This is kinda annoying when you’re cruising long distances and you’re holding 3k rpm for hours on end. But the flip side of that is even if you don’t downshift from 6th, it will take off surprisingly fast if you decide to get on it. Did that last weekend on the way home from a work event, and it seemed like it jumped from 80-125 almost instantly.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 10:32 PM   #11
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
I do not race people or anything
Suuure…
That’s what a lot of of us say 😁

Did I miss why you want a manual over an automatic?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 02:05 AM   #12
AnthonyG4112
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostro View Post
Based on my tracking comparison and Novice+ driver.

BMW Xdrive comp is faster then Camaro ZL1 on a straight line, especially easy faster then SS. Also proven on some roads

On the track I was able to keep up after ZL1 and put some pressure on him feeling that I can go faster out of any corner. As result on the strainght lines opening I could jump out and pass him. But its long straight.

I think that you with Base model should be a little but still faster on straight and keep up on corners…. On the and it will be “dog fight” - all depends on pilot (sorry driver) refering to on of the best movies … Top Gun Maverick

Adding JB4 or min RaceChip is the way to go. You really should not blow up the enginee but this simple tune will just secure your advantage over SS models easier. Just wait for a break in period to be over.

Remember. I personally did not meet many standard Camaros, 90% have some mods already.

The g80/2x is faster than a zl1 in a straight line from a dig, not a roll. I have both, raced both against each other and the g8x is just not faster from a roll. From a dig unless the zl1 can hook somewhat, it's not close.

The g80x is faster than an ss 1le from a roll, dig, but the ss holds her own. Ive had multiple and raced plenty of those, I wouldn't say its close, but I wouldn't say the SS is a slouch either. The base M should be close to an SS but if the SS is auto, that's a tough call.

You want a more raw experience, should have stayed with an SS all day. You want refined, better build quality, a does everything well car? M car all day, whether the ss is faster or not. If you have the loot go with the M and build that, if you're interested in performance go with the x and build that. A built g8x in my opinion can be the ultimate car.

If you have more questions private message me, I've had both cars and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 06:21 AM   #13
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post

I also advise being careful with even a piggyback tune. If the tune alters the boost, BMW can see that in the DME. If you blow the engine BMW requires a dump of the DME and they will see the boost over spec and that would likely cause them to reject the claim even if the piggyback is removed prior.
My impression is that the car relies on feedback for controlling boost pressure so the piggyback alters the value of the boost pressure signal that the ECU is seeing (lowering it) so it is actually adding more boost pressure than it thinks. As far as the ECU is concerned the boost pressure is correct and normal. A dump of the DME shouldn't show anything unusual. If I'm wrong please explain why as I plan on adding a piggyback but do not want to void the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 06:41 AM   #14
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Hey Guys!

First off I agree that the M3 horsepower number advertised by BMW is conservative where the opposite is probably true for the Camaro. Secondly the extra horsepower of the BMW with lower torque value is due to that horsepower being measured at a higher RPM.

I too was also torn between the automatic and the manual in ordering my M4 as I always felt I was more connected with driving the vehicle with the manual. However, there is no doubt that the automatic will be faster than the manual. But the biggest factor swaying my decision was the X-Drive. Having so much horsepower on the street is useless if you cannot get the power to the road with street tires. When I drag raced my 72 Chevy Nova with a twin turbo small block V8 - even with the widest racing slicks I could fit on the car (with a 4 link rear suspension) I would fry the slicks off the line. Going with a taller tire to reduce torque and increase the contact patch only brought the boost pressure in quicker and didn't help traction. Therefore I chose the automatic with the X-Drive for my M4.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 05:03 PM   #15
shadowredlev
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG4112 View Post
The g80/2x is faster than a zl1 in a straight line from a dig, not a roll. I have both, raced both against each other and the g8x is just not faster from a roll. From a dig unless the zl1 can hook somewhat, it's not close.

The g80x is faster than an ss 1le from a roll, dig, but the ss holds her own. Ive had multiple and raced plenty of those, I wouldn't say its close, but I wouldn't say the SS is a slouch either. The base M should be close to an SS but if the SS is auto, that's a tough call.

You want a more raw experience, should have stayed with an SS all day. You want refined, better build quality, a does everything well car? M car all day, whether the ss is faster or not. If you have the loot go with the M and build that, if you're interested in performance go with the x and build that. A built g8x in my opinion can be the ultimate car.

If you have more questions private message me, I've had both cars and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
My M3 is on the boat right now so waiting for the port installed suspension then delivery to the dealer

I loved my ss 1LE it was a 19 so it was a manual, my favorite thing about it was the V8, raw power, and how well the car put the power down

But my main gripes with the 1LE was the car was very basic, When I would sit in the car it just did not feel premium, build quality was not too good, and I HATE the chevy service experience, went to 3 different dealers and all told me my brakes were causing a squealing sound and full left turns, turned out the brake line just fell out of place and was rubbing against my tire, crazy how chevy just tucks in the brake line into the fender, the chevy dealer service are all assholes, one of the reasons why I probably wont ever get a c8 z06

I drove a manual m4 with carbon buckets and ripped it with the client advisor and I am definitely happy with it, It felt slower but it wasn't slower, it just had no road noise compared to the 1LE so it felt slower

overall im excited for deliver of the m3, been driving an electric car since I sold the Camaro and I am already so tired of not rowing my own gears

thanks for everyones replies BTW
Appreciate 3
      12-05-2023, 05:47 PM   #16
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkb View Post
If you’re picking a car because you want it to be faster than some other car then you’re doing it wrong.
Totally agree. Get a 600+ hp EV, you will beat everyone
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 10:05 PM   #17
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Quote:
I am already so tired of not rowing my own gears
You just answered your question. The rest is all BS. Enjoy the last vestiges of old skool engagement.
      12-06-2023, 12:40 PM   #18
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
My M3 is on the boat right now so waiting for the port installed suspension then delivery to the dealer

I loved my ss 1LE it was a 19 so it was a manual, my favorite thing about it was the V8, raw power, and how well the car put the power down

But my main gripes with the 1LE was the car was very basic, When I would sit in the car it just did not feel premium, build quality was not too good, and I HATE the chevy service experience, went to 3 different dealers and all told me my brakes were causing a squealing sound and full left turns, turned out the brake line just fell out of place and was rubbing against my tire, crazy how chevy just tucks in the brake line into the fender, the chevy dealer service are all assholes, one of the reasons why I probably wont ever get a c8 z06

I drove a manual m4 with carbon buckets and ripped it with the client advisor and I am definitely happy with it, It felt slower but it wasn't slower, it just had no road noise compared to the 1LE so it felt slower

overall im excited for deliver of the m3, been driving an electric car since I sold the Camaro and I am already so tired of not rowing my own gears

thanks for everyones replies BTW
I had a '17 50th anniversary SS w/ 6MT before my M2C.
Although the powertrain was more thrilling from idle to full throttle, none of that car felt premium. I never expected it to be.

After owning 2 Ms, I don't think I could go back to another domestic muscle unless they up their game in overall fit/finish.
Appreciate 0