BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-14-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

car wash basics

Ok..after being too lazy to hand wash cars, I finally gave in and decided to hand wash my car atleast during the warm months. Wanted to make sure Im doing the right thing. Was going with a pressure washer/foam gun method than the 2 bucket method. Looked at all the online reviews and before I sink a ton of money into it and decide to not handwash my car, thought Id start with baby steps. Here is what I was planning to do AKA the touchless style but please correct me if this is not the correct way to do it

1. Pressure wash with 40 deg (car wash) nozzle vs mist using garden hose
2. Use foam cannon and apply thick coat of snow foam
3. Scrub the wheel with a wheel brush
4. Pressure wash off the foam vs wipe the foam with a car wash mitt
5. Dry with waffle weave vs double loop vs microfiber towel and/or use my leaf blower

Im confused if I should wipe down the foam with a mitt or just power wash it and save drying time by just using my leaf blower (its pretty strong) instead of the towel dry

Thanks and I apologize if I offended the die hard hand car washing community with my silly questions or doing something thats considered a big no-no
Appreciate 1
tatarwj378.00
      04-14-2023, 08:14 PM   #2
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

You won’t really get it clean without a contact wash unfortunately.
I start with the wheels first. Using a mild wheel cleaner for the rim and all purpose cleaner diluted for the tires. Once the wheels are rinsed, I will foam down the body and let it dwell for a few minutes. Rinse well then foam the body once more before using the wash mitts. I find it faster using multiple wash mitts rather than a single mitt and grit guard. I have 6 in the suds bucke at first , then chuck each one into an empty bucket after a section is done. After the contact wash, rinse down everything well then go onto your drying method. Personally I use the glacier 1200 drying towels from McKee’s 37. You will want to use some form of lubricant while you’re drying with a towel. I use a rinseless wash and just spray each section before dragging the towel across.
Drying with forced air is safe, but only works well if you have a hydrophobic layer (wax, sealer, ceramic, graphene coating etc)

Happy to answer any more questions.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2610.00