Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
dasmikechen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xdrive

Driving in the Winter

I know for some, driving an M3 in winter is blasphemy, but that is precisely why I moved on from the GT-R back to the Evo X platform as it was a blast to drive in winter but the GT-R was a dog and didn't offer anything in the way of fun. As the M3 got an AWD platform, I figured now was my time to get GT-R speed, with Evo AWD performance in both summer and winter (OEM squared Michelin Alpin 5s currently mounted).

First snow here in MN where I am and so I took the M3 xdrive out to play. I am trying to figure out the right settings to give me the same level of confidence, predictability, and performance in snow as the Evo X and am struggling. The thing understeered ( slid with the anti-lock breaks locked for 30-40 feet under 5 MPH into a pole) and taking her around a few more times she is just really hard to predict.

Does anyone have any setting suggestions or advice?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
PA5s are not suitable for MN winters but if it's this bad already, it's going to get worse for you if there's no issues with your setup.

Check your tire pressures (should be around 35 PSI cold), make sure engine is in the eco mode and brakes are in comfort. If these are brand new PA5s, maybe some more miles are needed to get more grip out of them.

Mine is RWD and I mostly have issues getting moving if there's loose snow on the ground, even with minimal throttle.
      11-14-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
dasmikechen
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
PA5s are not suitable for MN winters but if it's this bad already, it's going to get worse for you if there's no issues with your setup.

Check your tire pressures (should be around 35 PSI cold), make sure engine is in the eco mode and brakes are in comfort. If these are brand new PA5s, maybe some more miles are needed to get more grip out of them.

Mine is RWD and I mostly have issues getting moving if there's loose snow on the ground, even with minimal throttle.
Thanks, they are pretty new, less than 100 miles on them, and the second time out there were a lot more predictable. I don't think the MY23 has eco mode, is it safe to assume I just translate that to the most non-aggressive setup? Would it be better/worse to use MDM traction mode? With this setting, I can get the rear to swing out, vs. without this setting the car pushes a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
"Efficient" mode then. MDM will allow you to get more sideways which could help in getting going with deep snow, but it would be better to have DSC off in that case. While you're driving, DSC on as MDM wouldn't benefit there.
Attached Images

11-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #5
dasmikechen
Private
United_States
Rep

Okay this is how she was set when she pushed and couldn't correct and ended up kissing the pole.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 08:57 PM   #6
TVonthe80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 TV G80 50j

Had my ‘23 out today to see how’d it would do in the snow compared to my evo 9. I agree with OP that it is less predictable. There’s something organic about the fixed 50/50 evo ratio that makes it intuitive to drive fast in the snow.

I didn’t play too hard, but sport 4wd seemed a bit more tail happy than needed. I think I’ll stick in normal 4wd and figure out how this car likes to get setup for the turn. Sometimes it pushed, sometimes it turned in great. Need more seat time. Or I’ll just say eff it and go rwd and drive sideways everywhere like I’m back in college