Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

03-29-2024, 12:05 PM   #1
exuberantwombat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Wheel Swap Sanity Check

Hey Guys,

I've been going back and forth with Fitment Industries to find a good set of wheels for winter tires. My goal is to have a 19" square set up for winter tires. My first choice of wheel did not fit and ran into brake calipers. I tried to fix it with spacers but even if spacers did help with the spacing between brake caliper and spokes, I noticed that there was hardly any clearance from the caliper to the inner diameter of the wheel. Like less than a millimeter from touching.

This is the link to the failed first set.

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/bu...spension=Stock

I know factory ET is 20. The failed set used ET22. I was wondering if I had it wrong and I need to go to a smaller ET to have better chance of clearing the brakes. So this is my prospective next choice with an ET15.

Based on info offered on this site, do you guys see any reason this couldn't fit as a square setup?

P.S. These are the tires I'll be using but I don't think it adds much to my question above.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 12:37 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Do you have carbon ceramic brakes?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 12:46 PM   #3
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Fitment Ind is absolute shit in terms of reliable info. Hate to say it, but you should only buy from there if you know EXACTLY what you’re buying brand/size/spec and they just happen to be selling for cheaper. Also, probably expect to get shit balancing on them when you get them. My experience with this was so crappy due to some damage before they even shipped that I had to reach out to Steve Hamilton directly to get them to do anything about it.

Their site is also shit for spec info. For example, the center bore on the first set is too big and the one for the second set is too small (Audi fitment). I don’t know wtf they’re selling, but the fitment info can’t really be trusted… as you found out. Also, design of spoke and backspacing will dictate the offset required to run on a specific wheel. Sometimes this comes into play and needs to be considered.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 03:19 PM   #4
exuberantwombat
Enlisted Member
Rep

I do not have carbon ceramic brakes.

Sure, Fitment Ind can be annoying. I've not reached a place to consider abandoning them yet and still want to work this out if possible. So I still would like to know if there are any hidden gremlins I am missing here. Obviously, time will tell, but I want to know ahead of time if possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 03:23 PM   #5
exuberantwombat
Enlisted Member
Rep

If this next set of wheels doesn't work out, I'll prob start looking elsewhere
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:15 PM   #6
mjj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M4 Comp -on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by exuberantwombat View Post
Hey Guys,

I've been going back and forth with Fitment Industries to find a good set of wheels for winter tires. My goal is to have a 19" square set up for winter tires. My first choice of wheel did not fit and ran into brake calipers. I tried to fix it with spacers but even if spacers did help with the spacing between brake caliper and spokes, I noticed that there was hardly any clearance from the caliper to the inner diameter of the wheel. Like less than a millimeter from touching.

This is the link to the failed first set.

I know factory ET is 20. The failed set used ET22. I was wondering if I had it wrong and I need to go to a smaller ET to have better chance of clearing the brakes. So this is my prospective next choice with an ET15.

Based on info offered on this site, do you guys see any reason this couldn't fit as a square setup?

P.S. These are the tires I'll be using but I don't think it adds much to my question above.
A lower offset like a 10 or 12 would push the wheel outward creating more space between the wheel and the caliper.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:31 PM   #7
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Well, apparently I was wrong about the center bore for the second set and they will work on the G series. That said, the 5mm less offset would push the wheels out away from the caliper, but what I said above about spike design will still hold true. If you were just decreasing offset on the same wheels to get the fitment correct, then that would be easy, but different designs can interfere with calipers and sometimes you have to go more aggressive on the offset to address that. Fingers crossed that they’ll fit for you. Also, if the barrel design are again super tight up front, you might wanna stay off gravel roads… some people have reported pebbles stuck between their calipers and wheels and scraped things up on stock 19s clearance, let alone something even tighter. Good luck.
Appreciate 0