BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #111
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

If it was a difference like 700/month for a manual that I like or 1k+ for a awd competition spec ($300+ a month) I'd just take the rwd as I enjoy that too, but tbh otherwise I'd go awd cause you can turn it off.

I'm talking US lease prices btw. I used to be a big rwd guy but when you're in tight corners cars can go sideways so easy at this power levels it's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #112
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

RWD for me. I don't drive my fun cars in the rain enough to need AWD (and in the snow, never!), and I don't need the fastest 0 to 60 times for my car to feel special (stoplight hero I'm not). Of course if I do get caught in the rain, I know how to be careful.

I've driven my friend's F90, and even when you turn off the AWD, the steering still feels too numb and isolated, with that drive shaft still turning in the front. It's fast as hell, but rather boring to me. Too isolated, too big, and dare I say, almost too fast.

...which is why I never purchased the latest Audis, even though I love their interiors. The steering is just dead to me in an Audi, but they have awesome traction from a dig. The only Audi I would consider is that 1st Gen Audi R8, because that AWD system has negligent affect on its steering, and I like that design.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #113
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

The AWD will have great numbers on paper but for a daily driver, I'd skip the extra weight, complexity, and cost. Then again the G80 is starting the get to that size/weight where this could be treated like a fast GT in which case I could see the appeal of the AWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #114
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

RWD for me. It doesn't snow here and if it did I would just get snow tires for winter like I did with my Miata in Connecticut. The right tires help a lot more in snow. AWD with the standard summer tires will still send you off the road fast. Having had mostly RWD but two AWD cars I've decided the front wheels should steer and the rears should propel. Plus the reviewers so far have said the car puts down the power very well. I don't drag race so traction off the line isn't important to me. All that said, I appreciate that the AWD likely will allow you to put it into pure RWD, so other than a relatively minor weight penalty I guess you get the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #115
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

I like the M AWD bc you also get RWD ... best of both worlds...

0-60 times are irrelevant ... until you feel your organs shift posteriorly and you quickly approach the speed limit. quickest car I've had this experience in is the 991.1 911 Turbo. I want to feel that more. The M3 isn't quite 911 Turbo level but I'm sure it's still very quick feeling.

However ... traditionally, RWD is much more fun on an autocross or road course ... AWD had gotten very good but it still doesn't allow the same rotation that's really fun in a RWD.

I'm torn... I always want to have at least one manual/RWD car but I'm shopping for a new track car and so:

If I get a manual GT3, ZL1 1LE or C7 Z06 I'll probably get AWD/DCT

If I get a C8 Z06 (dual clutch only) then I'll get manual M3.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 01:35 AM   #116
mikey_c
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Enthusiast View Post
Hi all,

I have recently ordered my first M4 a M4C RWD for expected March delivery. Very excited about that...!!

Still I am wondering about your preferences regarding RWD vs AWD? My head is still thinking should I have waited for the AWD?

1) Are the expected differences RWD vs AWD that much in daily driving in warm weather or what is your experience with the previous F82 RWD?

2) Is the added traction and expected better performance more in the 0-100km/h area or also in the 80-120km/h, 100-200km/h area, which I would think is the more frequent use case in daily driving?

3) I know we have no real performance data as of today but whats your estimation comparing the two drivetrains and how do previous F82 drivers look at the drivetrain question?

I will do a short term lease so the choice of RWD/AWD is not that important to maybe buying the car. Still wanted to know what your drivetrain choice looks like with the facts we currently have...

Thanks for your feedback & happy holidays...!!
In my opinion there is no better drivers car than a RWD BMW (manual please). THe G80 is unique in many ways but is still the best driving car in my class by a mile and is why you get an M rather than an MB or Audi. It's clear BMW wanted to make a major statement with the G80, beyond just the grill design and the G80 and complete new direction for the M3. THe competition with the ZF and an AWD variant make it clear BMW wants more mass appeal(and Audi S and MB amg sales). The competition is pretty awesome (I love that ZF) but the AWD option is sales and not driver driven.

I would do AWD only if necessary, so if you spend significant time driving in rain/snow/icy conditions it might be the way to go. But if that isn't a factor (or you are comfortable with snow tires) RWD is the way to go.

AWD will likely be faster at launch, so definitely the way to go if you spend significant time drag racing. 0 to 100 may be the most useless stat, whether it be a daily driver or a race car, very rarely if ever, do you launch from a standstill! It's the 80-120km and 100-200km that matter more to me(the s58 nailed it) and there is no difference between the AWD and RWD there. In my option in RWD out weights any potential performance benefits of AWD, in both handling and enjoy ability. In fact the AWD will only hinder performance in most conditions.

Stick with the RWD! And enjoy your M4
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #117
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
RWD for me. I don't drive my fun cars in the rain enough to need AWD (and in the snow, never!), and I don't need the fastest 0 to 60 times for my car to feel special (stoplight hero I'm not). Of course if I do get caught in the rain, I know how to be careful.

I've driven my friend's F90, and even when you turn off the AWD, the steering still feels too numb and isolated, with that drive shaft still turning in the front. It's fast as hell, but rather boring to me. Too isolated, too big, and dare I say, almost too fast.

...which is why I never purchased the latest Audis, even though I love their interiors. The steering is just dead to me in an Audi, but they have awesome traction from a dig. The only Audi I would consider is that 1st Gen Audi R8, because that AWD system has negligent affect on its steering, and I like that design.
Pretty much says it all. I have a Jeep which I use for rain and of course, winter. I'm at the age where I could care less about the 0-60 times With all the improvements to traction and reviewers actually commenting how much improved that traction is, I just don't see the need. (If you could capably drive the F with summer tires on ice cold roads during the winter months, you'll be just fine with RWD in the G!). Anyone living in a winter state where this would be your DD in all weather, then AWD would have to be a serious consideration. Will I look at it again three years from now after we get everyone's reviews and thoughts, and of course after LCI and other changes? For sure!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #118
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
If it was a difference like 700/month for a manual that I like or 1k+ for a awd competition spec ($300+ a month) I'd just take the rwd as I enjoy that too, but tbh otherwise I'd go awd cause you can turn it off.

I'm talking US lease prices btw. I used to be a big rwd guy but when you're in tight corners cars can go sideways so easy at this power levels it's annoying.
you can disengage the front diff and only use RWD just like in the F90 M5/M5C so if you spec your car right the weight difference should be a bit less. CF seats save 20lb for example which is ~1/5th the weight penality for AWD.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #119
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

If I was in the sun belt, RWD without a question. But where I live, as a daily, AWD is definitely more convenient.

In terms of driving experience, I don’t think AWD has anything over RWD. RWD is sharper, lighter, more fun to drive. Unless you count drag racing as driving experience.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #120
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Awd for me. Drag racing is something I enjoy and awd helps for sure. Not necessary, as I only race on the track, but I dig it. And then driving on the street, a little extra confidence I'm good with as well...Mostly due to the power levels that will be possible with tunes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #121
StocktonBomb
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTR (FBO + E85)

RWD simply because my last four cars were AWD. I'm feeling the need to mix it up for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #122
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

We all agree the biggest advantages of AWD are:
- poor weather conditions (yes you can make RWD work most of the times but there's no denying that AWD will always work better in rain, snow & colder temperatures)
- drag racing / stoplight racing

But to me AWD will also put the power down better than RWD in other real world day-to-day situations like:
- merging into traffic from a stop or yield position without going sideways and having traction control slow you down until you're well into 3rd. Reviewers proved that the G8x puts the power down better than an F8x but your tires are only new for a couple of thousand miles and then your traction starts getting worse & worse
- then there's different scenarios with colder temperatures where traction on summer tires is further impacted
- many of us end up tuning those cars and if you want to enjoy your extra power & torque at any speed below 60mph you probably need AWD in my opinion. Hard to imagine a 600whp RWD G8x putting the power down in 2nd gear and well into 3rd.
- besides we don't know how the driving dynamics will be for the AWD version yet so we're making assumptions based on other AWD cars such as the F90 M5. I'm guessing even track performance will be much better and the car will take corners on the track or your spirited mountain drive much better and give you more confidence while still being rear-biased. Maybe not as much fun as RWD but definitely going to be interesting to experience something new with an ///M

That's why I'm getting it

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #123
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:

you can disengage the front diff and only use RWD just like in the F90 M5/M5C so if you spec your car right the weight difference should be a bit less. CF seats save 20lb for example which is ~1/5th the weight penality for AWD.
Are you sure AWD is only 100 lbs? I thought it would be more. Higher power cars need better transfer cases and overall stronger parts so I'd be surprised if it's just a 100 lb difference, then I think everybody will be hopping all over it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #124
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_c View Post
In my opinion there is no better drivers car than a RWD BMW (manual please). THe G80 is unique in many ways but is still the best driving car in my class by a mile and is why you get an M rather than an MB or Audi. It's clear BMW wanted to make a major statement with the G80, beyond just the grill design and the G80 and complete new direction for the M3. THe competition with the ZF and an AWD variant make it clear BMW wants more mass appeal(and Audi S and MB amg sales). The competition is pretty awesome (I love that ZF) but the AWD option is sales and not driver driven.

I would do AWD only if necessary, so if you spend significant time driving in rain/snow/icy conditions it might be the way to go. But if that isn't a factor (or you are comfortable with snow tires) RWD is the way to go.

AWD will likely be faster at launch, so definitely the way to go if you spend significant time drag racing. 0 to 100 may be the most useless stat, whether it be a daily driver or a race car, very rarely if ever, do you launch from a standstill! It's the 80-120km and 100-200km that matter more to me(the s58 nailed it) and there is no difference between the AWD and RWD there. In my option in RWD out weights any potential performance benefits of AWD, in both handling and enjoy ability. In fact the AWD will only hinder performance in most conditions.

Stick with the RWD! And enjoy your M4
I disagree. If you are never going too tune the G then yeah, RWD may be your best bet. I'm not a fan of zero traction for the first 2 gears like my M4 is now. Even from a roll you can spin the tires on on my F82. I love the confidence my GTR gives me at +1000 HP. It slips a bit from a dig, but from a 20-40 roll, the R888 dead hook. Such a cool thing to not have to worry about that. To each his own. Just know that when the AWD version comes out, you will be losing on any road, track/course to the 4 wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #125
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure AWD is only 100 lbs? I thought it would be more. Higher power cars need better transfer cases and overall stronger parts so I'd be surprised if it's just a 100 lb difference, then I think everybody will be hopping all over it.
I don't think it will be a huge amount more. I believe unread somewhere bit was around 100lbs maybe in the official press release? I'll have to find out
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #126
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it will be a huge amount more. I believe unread somewhere bit was around 100lbs maybe in the official press release? I'll have to find out
I know I've seen a 120 lbs estimated figure somewhere but not from an official source

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #127
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Just know that when the AWD version comes out, you will be losing on any road, track/course to the 4 wheel drive.
I'm used to losing races. My E46 was never the fastest, nor was my S2000 and my current E93. But on a road course, or serpentine back roads, not many people finished and had a better smile/mile ratio. Fast cars can be utterly thrilling (harnessing all that power), with a huge adrenaline rush...but I've learned the difference between the adrenaline rush and pure enjoyment. I could care less about roll races, and pink slip contests...but for many, I know that's their thing. And if that was my thing, I wouldn't be buying a G8X. There are more purpose-built, and easily-moddable cars (like that GTR you mentioned, or a flash-tuned Audi), or just get a used M5 sleeper and shock a lot of people in the utter insanity of how fast that thing is.

AWD gives you a huge dose of security, but that's security I don't need, especially with how sophisticated the latest traction control and rear diff systems are these days. The RWD AMG GT puts the power down, and it seems like BMW nailed the RWD G82 as well...it may squirm a bit, but then it just goes. And the fact that we can how dial in exactly how much it'll squirm sounds like heaven to me.

Again, glad BMW is giving us both options (RWD and AWD). So we can each be happy with our purchase.
Appreciate 2
M3AWD3183.00
W///7494.00
      03-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #128
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm used to losing races. My E46 was never the fastest, nor was my S2000 and my current E93. But on a road course, or serpentine back roads, not many people finished and had a better smile/mile ratio. Fast cars can be utterly thrilling (harnessing all that power), with a huge adrenaline rush...but I've learned the difference between the adrenaline rush and pure enjoyment. I could care less about roll races, and pink slip contests...but for many, I know that's their thing. And if that was my thing, I wouldn't be buying a G8X. There are more purpose-built, and easily-moddable cars (like that GTR you mentioned, or a flash-tuned Audi), or just get a used M5 sleeper and shock a lot of people in the utter insanity of how fast that thing is.

AWD gives you a huge dose of security, but that's security I don't need, especially with how sophisticated the latest traction control and rear diff systems are these days. The RWD AMG GT puts the power down, and it seems like BMW nailed the RWD G82 as well...it may squirm a bit, but then it just goes. And the fact that we can how dial in exactly how much it'll squirm sounds like heaven to me.

Again, glad BMW is giving us both options (RWD and AWD). So we can each be happy with our purchase.
You're making too much sense for this forum!! Unacceptable!

We should all be thankful for BMW providing the G8x in both RWD & AWD options, and even with a RWD Manual in this day & age

Appreciate 1
solstice5457.50
      03-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #129
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
You're making too much sense for this forum!! Unacceptable!

We should all be thankful for BMW providing the G8x in both RWD & AWD options, and even with a RWD Manual in this day & age
Agreed and it’s not like you can’t have both. If the AWD turns out to be a barnstormer with no major downgrades there’s enough time for most to upgrade for the next car after this since the majority here seem to lease. I always buy so I will wait to make sure I make the best choice for me. I’ll likely keep it until the next generation.
Appreciate 1
M3AWD3183.00
      03-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #130
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:

I agree. Very cool to have both options. I feel most people street race/ drag race whatever you want to call it, more than take it to road course. I'm just giving my opinion about the traction. I've had many high power RWD Vette,300zx, 350z Turbo. I'm over the useless 1-3 gears. I want to hook and launch. If people are going to up the power and do that type of racing in this new G, I'm saying AWD hands down. Yeah, it seems to have decent traction now. Diff story when they go full bolt on E-85 down the road. Then the thing is just melting tires. To me, that is zero fun
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      03-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #131
9153mark
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 f31 Xdrive Touring

RWD
Xdrive is great, my 330 was and was a great daily. But my fun cars have always been Astons and like the driving experience and feel RWD gives. M3c will be my daily and want a pure driving feel every day.
Xdrive transfer box will mean 4 new tyres every time the rears get down... With 2 kids it would eat up my disposable too quickly...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 04:09 PM   #132
Bimmerhawk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Undecided

I live in the “snow belt.” My RWD 335i sport has been extremely reliable with Blizzaks for 14 years now. It’s close to the time to say goodbye to this fantastic car; maybe a year or two.

I think my next car will likely be the g80 M3, new or used. I can’t say I’m convinced that the extra expense of AWD would be worth it for me. I also love the feel of RWD in “normal” conditions.
Appreciate 0