BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-22-2023, 08:53 AM   #23
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Not to give you false hope here, but the mobile touchup guys really can work magic. I've seen repairs much larger than yours will likely be and couldn't tell that there was ever an issue. I'd at least give that a shot before repainting the whole bumper skin. Worst case, you are back to where you are now. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      06-22-2023, 03:53 PM   #24
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You don't want to repaint part of the car unless it looks bad enough to go down that road. If they have to repaint they will have to wait like 2-3 months to re apply PPF which means you'll have to make sure the car doesn't pick up any scratches or chips on that panel for that period of time. If you don't wait long enough to PPF after painting it will pull the paint up.
I suggest you get them to give to money to take care of it later or offset the reduced value of the vehicle.
I’ve not heard that you have to wait after repainting to apply PPF. I just had my car repaired and repainted and PPF applied within a week. Niether the body shop or the PPF installer mentioned anything about that. Both reputable shops as well.
      06-22-2023, 05:11 PM   #25
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
I’ve not heard that you have to wait after repainting to apply PPF. I just had my car repaired and repainted and PPF applied within a week. Niether the body shop or the PPF installer mentioned anything about that. Both reputable shops as well.
Well, fresh paint/clear coat needs time to offgas. That process happens faster in warm environment, which is why they bake it for a while to speed up the process. Factory paint gets a higher temp bake I believe.

Answers seem to vary. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1267...apply-ppf.html

From personal experience I've seen clear coat peel when an installer couldn't get a custom cut piece right, and tried to remove it to try again, only to have clear coat come up. The panel was resprayed, baked, waited at least a week before PPF. You probably won't know if it's going to peel paint up until the ppf has to come off.
Appreciate 1
yaymitch899.00
      06-30-2023, 08:20 PM   #26
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
Hey guys, I recently had a full front PPF done on my G80 from a local, reputable shop. I did a high level inspection at the shop and things looked ok for the most part. However, after getting the car home, I noticed that when they trimmed the PPF around the parking sensor on the bumper, that they also cut into the paint itself. It looks like they trimmed to close and essentially removed bumper material along with the PPF, as the outer edges of the circle are black now instead of blue.

I've already contacted the shop, but what would you guys do in this situation? I think the only true fix at this point would be to remove the PPF, repaint the entire front bumper and then re-apply PPF, which seems crazy for a brand new car.
To start, firebomb the shop, put on your warpaint, and start doing ritual voodoo.

I jest, how about take pictures and talk to the owner like a sensible man explaining your dissatisfaction with his botched ppf job.

Wait for a response.

Converse and state your expectations for remedying said botched job.

If that doesn’t work, see step 1.
Appreciate 1
mirob3069.50
      06-30-2023, 08:42 PM   #27
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Pics would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 01:32 AM   #28
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
You don't.
Appreciate 1
yaymitch899.00
      07-01-2023, 01:49 AM   #29
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List

Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      07-01-2023, 04:21 AM   #30
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I have heard this mostly from gun shy PPF installers wanting to avoid trouble. Most reputable body shops have the ability to cure the paint prior to pickup and this should avoid these types of issues.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 1
yaymitch899.00
      07-01-2023, 07:19 AM   #31
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 CompX; '98 m Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
this is why i dont do ppf. no shop around me is as good as some of these ones you see on youtube (topaz detailing) with a dust free shop room, printed precut pieces, no blades near your car, wrapped edges.

had it done on my 458. they didnt damage the paint but there dust between the film and paint which very noticeable on dark colors. edges started peeling after 1-2 years. they used multiple pieces on the front bumper and i could see the lines were they tried to join them.
Same. If it doesn’t come out absolutely 100% perfect (& stay 100% perfect over time), it would just bug the absolute hell out of me. A tiny rock chip here & there over the 5 years I will have this car doesn’t bug me at all. No PPF for me.
Humdizzle6078.00
      07-02-2023, 02:13 AM   #32
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxberryJam View Post
Same. If it doesn’t come out absolutely 100% perfect (& stay 100% perfect over time), it would just bug the absolute hell out of me. A tiny rock chip here & there over the 5 years I will have this car doesn’t bug me at all. No PPF for me.
And I’m the exact opposite. A tiny rock chip would totally irk me. I’ve had four M cars now (not counting the one on the way) two of them I bought used. When looking at used M cars I wouldn’t even consider the ones that hadn’t been PPFd by the previous owner.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. That’s said I would implore any owner with the CF roof to get that PPFd at a minimum.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 3
      07-02-2023, 03:03 AM   #33
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
And I’m the exact opposite. A tiny rock chip would totally irk me. I’ve had four M cars now (not counting the one on the way) two of them I bought used. When looking at used M cars I wouldn’t even consider the ones that hadn’t been PPFd by the previous owner.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. That’s said I would implore any owner with the CF roof to get that PPFd at a minimum.
Agreed. PPF can always be removed and redone. Once you get damage on the paint that needs a touch up or a refinish you're never getting that factory paint back. My car has already been saved several times by PPF, from my kids hitting it to a bird shitting down half of it including the roof. Which brings me to the roof. Fixing any damage on the CF roof is going to be a challenge. Just get the PPF.
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      04-02-2024, 12:34 PM   #34
althepal
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 MT

Hey everyone, I'm about to get a full car PPF done and this has been a great thread to read.

Bringing some of these concerns to my installer, I decided to go with a "hybrid" install instead of full hand cut. This will combine some hand cut film and some computer cut film and should minimize the risk of damaging the painted (and non painted) surfaces.

The areas that will be kept hand cut will be pretty much only where there's room to wrap the edges and where the hand cuts can essentially be made off the surface off the car. These are:

Hood, Fenders, doors, mirrors. He wants to hand cut the mirrors because a good application requires a lot of stretching and moving of the film.

These vulnerable areas will be computer cut:
1/4 panels, roof, bumpers, grille, trunk, diffusor, trim on windows.

There are probably some areas he forgot to mention.

I've also been undecided about going with a matte film, but since there will be some computer cut pieces, I believe it would show more glossy paint coming though in the areas that can't be stretched and wrapped. So I'll probably just keep the car glossy.
Appreciate 0