03-18-2024, 02:18 PM   #1
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
CS spoiler quality?

Guys,

I just got my cs style spoiler installed a few weeks ago. I love the way it looks and fits. The one thing I did notice is a imperfection in the weave in one spot. You can’t notice it at certain angles but other you can, again it doesn’t stick out very bad. Is my ocd kicking in or what. I purchased it from a reputable mfg as well.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:27 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Are you talking about that one small area in the last pic where you can see a bit more black horizontal line where the weave intersects? I mean geez… how the fuck did you even find that? 😂

Look, I get it, I’m OCD and a perfectionist too on some things, but I’ve learned (as hard as it is) nothing is perfect and yeah… I tend to be the one to find the flaw in stuff, but sometimes you can’t live like that and you’ve got to let some thing slide. Did you get a good deal? Are you overall happy with it? Based on that, how much of a red flag is this for you? Keep in mind that CF is a weaved fabric and unless you lay it down perfect and then mess with it to the most finite degree before locking it down, you’re going to get some kind of small imperfection. In my opinion, what I’m seeing (if that’s what you’re seeing) isn’t a big enough flaw. Now, if you found some wavy weaving and striations in the patter, then yeah, that’s the kind of defect you’d want to get addressed.

(edit)
I’ve looked again at your pics and see now what you’re saying. It’s a larger area but what you’re seeing is an inherent shiny layout of the fabric and light hitting it. Since it is bigger and easily noticeable on the other pics, you can submit it to the place you bought it from and see if they’re willing to replace it… just be sure to request they closely inspect the next one before sending it out to make sure you don’t get another messed up one. Also, from past experience, I’ve been in situations where I kept looking to fix a very minor defect like this in something and the replacements were even worse and in other ways… sometimes it’s not worth the hassle in the search for that perfect thing. I swear sometimes I used to feel like that was karma biting me in the ass saying “Oh, the first wasn’t good enough huh?!” 😂

Last edited by SwankPeRFection; 03-18-2024 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:39 PM   #3
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Are you talking about that one small area in the last pic where you can see a bit more black horizontal line where the weave intersects? I mean geez… how the fuck did you even find that? 😂

Look, I get it, I’m OCD and a perfectionist too on some things, but I’ve learned (as hard as it is) nothing is perfect and yeah… I tend to be the one to find the flaw in stuff, but sometimes you can’t live like that and you’ve got to let some thing slide. Did you get a good deal? Are you overall happy with it? Based on that, how much of a red flag is this for you? Keep in mind that CF is a weaved fabric and unless you lay it down perfect and then mess with it to the most finite degree before locking it down, you’re going to get some kind of small imperfection. In my opinion, what I’m seeing (if that’s what you’re seeing) isn’t a big enough flaw. Now, if you found some wavy weaving and striations in the patter, then yeah, that’s the kind of defect you’d want to get addressed.

(edit)
I’ve looked again at your pics and see now what you’re saying. It’s a larger area but what you’re seeing is an inherent shiny layout of the fabric and light hitting it. Since it is bigger and easily noticeable on the other pics, you can submit it to the place you bought it from and see if they’re willing to replace it… just be sure to request they closely inspect the next one before sending it out to make sure you don’t get another messed up one. Also, from past experience, I’ve been in situations where I kept looking to fix a very minor defect like this in something and the replacements were even worse and in other ways… sometimes it’s not worth the hassle in the search for that perfect thing. I swear sometimes I used to feel like that was karma biting me in the ass saying “Oh, the first wasn’t good enough huh?!” 😂
I know what your saying ha. When I took it out of the box, I never noticed it. Everything looked perfect. It was like a few days later after I installed it and I was outside and the light just hit it right. The mfg did send me videos and pictures of a new one and it looks pretty good but even looking at the pics of the new one it seems like there could be a few spots. The guy did say its hard to be perfect on these spoilers.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 04:48 PM   #4
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
That almost looked like a scratch when I saw the first few photos. That said, if you look close enough you'll find imperfections on the OEM CF roof too. Its up to you how picky you want to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 09:14 PM   #5
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Oh no!!! Why would you do that to him?! He’s never going to be able to sleep now. 🫢🙃
Appreciate 1
Jax327436.00
      03-18-2024, 10:07 PM   #6
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just go to show that even OEM CF sometimes not perfect…. I’d leave it. Literally nobody would ever notice that.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:41 AM   #7
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thank you guys for talking me off the ledge lol. I think I will just keep this one and let my OCD brain get over it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:26 PM   #8
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax327 View Post
I purchased it from a reputable mfg as well.
I've seen junk from "reputable" manufacturers, the trick is to catch the issues before you install it and ask them to replace it, if they're reputable they will.
Making carbon simply isn't easy, parts with perfect carbon aren't cheap. Manufacturers don't simply throw away a part that has defects, they sell it to the reseller at a discount or to those ebay/ali sellers who sell it for half price to what others are selling perfect parts for.
There's a chance the seller you got it from knew about these tiny defects, but some people aren't as picky as others and wont notice them.

Last edited by forcefed; 03-19-2024 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 3
Jax327436.00
CMW33310.50
eman45171724.50
      03-22-2024, 11:57 AM   #9
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Drive only at night, there fixed.
      03-22-2024, 03:22 PM   #10
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
CS “Style” and "Reputable mfg" leads me to believe its not OEM. If its not OEM, it doesn't matter how "reputable" the manufacturer is, its not going to be OEM quality.

If it was OEM, and you ordered it from a parts counter, it would have a warranty, and you could get it swapped out, under warranty.

There is a reason why I have $12,000 in OEM carbon on my car, and thats because nothing even comes close.

Appreciate 2
eman45171724.50
dtronics412.00
      03-23-2024, 01:16 AM   #11
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
CS “Style” and "Reputable mfg" leads me to believe its not OEM. If its not OEM, it doesn't matter how "reputable" the manufacturer is, its not going to be OEM quality.

If it was OEM, and you ordered it from a parts counter, it would have a warranty, and you could get it swapped out, under warranty.

There is a reason why I have $12,000 in OEM carbon on my car, and thats because nothing even comes close.
I didnt state it was OEM, but stated it was from a reputable dealer on this site.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13472.00
eman45171724.50
      03-23-2024, 09:34 AM   #12
CMW33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
I've seen junk from "reputable" manufacturers, the trick is to catch the issues before you install it and ask them to replace it, if they're reputable they will.
Making carbon simply isn't easy, parts with perfect carbon aren't cheap. Manufacturers don't simply throw away a part that has defects, they sell it to the reseller at a discount or to those ebay/ali sellers who sell it for half price to what others are selling perfect parts for.
There's a chance the seller you got it from knew about these tiny defects, but some people aren't as picky as others and wont notice them.
So right. True carbon fiber is neither easy nor cheap to make--even in China. I have a conspiracy theory that a lot of aftermarket stuff marketed as carbon fiber is just fiberglass with a "carbon fiber" wrap. But I hope I am wrong.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13472.00
Sonic RR118.50
      03-23-2024, 11:26 AM   #13
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax327 View Post
I didnt state it was OEM, but stated it was from a reputable dealer on this site.
I just saw other posts mentioning it was OEM. If it’s no OEM, you just get what you get. There are 3-4 carbon places in china that make everything. That should have been caught on a QC inspection before they shipped it out. I can see, clearly in the pics, that there is a problem with the weave. That was my biggest issue with buying “reputable” carbon. One person’s perception of “good” is another man’s perception of trash. I would send the pics to the seller and see what they’re willing to do. Maybe they can help.

Appreciate 1
eman45171724.50
      03-23-2024, 11:58 AM   #14
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just saw other posts mentioning it was OEM. If it’s no OEM, you just get what you get. There are 3-4 carbon places in china that make everything. That should have been caught on a QC inspection before they shipped it out. I can see, clearly in the pics, that there is a problem with the weave. That was my biggest issue with buying “reputable” carbon. One person’s perception of “good” is another man’s perception of trash. I would send the pics to the seller and see what they’re willing to do. Maybe they can help.
They offered to send another one out but they just refunded me $100 bucks and I said screw it.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      03-23-2024, 12:12 PM   #15
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMW33 View Post
I have a conspiracy theory that a lot of aftermarket stuff marketed as carbon fiber is just fiberglass with a "carbon fiber" wrap. But I hope I am wrong.
Nah, when you flip the part over you see the exposed carbon. There's also a noticeable weight difference between a dry carbon part and an abs part with carbon wrap.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      03-23-2024, 01:03 PM   #16
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Currently going through that with a "reputable" vendor on 2 parts which have several defects. I also have a lot of OEM carbon fiber on my car straight from BMW, with the exception of a quality R44 spoiler and AT, gas cap. It's hard to put even slightly defective pieces on your prized ride.

So far, the vendor requested pictures and videos of the parts, then agreed to send a return shipping label. The team has to further inspect the pieces before we come to an agreeable solution. At this stage, I'm a little reluctant now to receive a replacement.

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00