BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-26-2023, 10:24 AM   #1
GScott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Pending ‘23 M3

Anyone regret getting Frozen paint

I have read all the threads and know everything involved in maintenance, repair, etc… What I want to know is does anyone who purchased frozen paint regret their decision? I’m not interested in doing a matte wrap so please no responses from non-owners.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2023, 10:30 AM   #2
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
I have read all the threads and know everything involved in maintenance, repair, etc… What I want to know is does anyone who purchased frozen paint regret their decision? I’m not interested in doing a matte wrap so please no responses from non-owners.
Not at all.

The maintenance aspect is blown out of proportion. Yes you can’t buff out scratches but the paint does a great job of hiding micro scratches you don’t even see them. Deep scratches can’t really be buffed anyway so if it really bothers you you’ll need to repaint. Repainting will be more difficult on a frozen color but definitely can be done.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 10:44 AM   #3
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

No regrets, from a maintenance standpoint. Only thing is scratches. For instance, a tool feel off my garage wall and clipped the rear fender and took some paint with it. $1500 dollars to fix a scratch 1/4” large. But I would still order frozen again. The look is totally worth the anxiety
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #4
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Quote:
If your keeping it long enough to be worried about minor defections just PPF the whole thing.

If your getting rid of it in say 2/3 years. Drive it and forget about the imperfections that occur within that time frame

. Simple.
Appreciate 1
ericj0n45.50
      03-26-2023, 11:47 AM   #5
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I do regret it.

I never had a matte finish car, and wanted to try it out, so I got a Frozen Pure Grey II G80.

First off, I take really good care of my cars and I hate any chips or scratches. With frozen, I decided to ppf the entire car, so that was about 6k right there. On a glossy car, I would never ppf the whole car, normally just the bumper/hood/rockers.

Then comes the anxiety if I ever need any paint work. I keep hearing that matching frozen color and finish is difficult.

If and when I order and LCI G80, I'll definitely go back to a regular glossy color.
Appreciate 4
      03-26-2023, 03:15 PM   #6
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

do the frozen wheel finishes require the same care ? i've been using regular quick detailer and washing soaps. should i get matte specific products?

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #7
Asymmetrick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4/G82 CSL

No regrets whatsoever! Got two frozen G8x (M3 FDG and M4 FBG) and I love both colors. Next car is likely to be matte/frozen as well.

As mentioned above, current chatter regarding the maintenance of frozen paints is completely overblown. Very easy once you get your car fully PPFed. Get Dr. Beasley's matte care products (Matte Body Wash & Matte Final Finish) and wash your car every other week using the two-bucket method and you'll be all set. You won't believe how good your car looks (and how many compliments you will get).
||| 2016 Mineral Silver X5 40e
Appreciate 4
ericj0n45.50
ny2nj189.50
      03-26-2023, 08:14 PM   #8
trackday96
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 CS, Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Similar to Asymmetrick, once you have the car ppf'd, no concerns, but ppf is pretty much a requirement. I tried to go two weeks without ppf (XPel Stealth installer was backed up) and the water spots that developed were brutal to handle. I would also echo the comments on Dr Beasley's (their waterless wash was really helpful for the quick fix stuff too).
      03-26-2023, 08:28 PM   #9
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

I regret not getting it. I did full Xpel Stealth on my BSM M4 and I love it. But, looking back I'd rather have done FDG or Frozen Black w/Xpel Stealth.

If nothing else, so I can stop answering the question "Is that a wrap?"
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:13 AM   #10
ericj0n
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp xdrive

I'll echo many of the comments already stated here. Absolutely no regrets, even after worrying about it every day for 6 months while I waited for the car.

To put your mind at ease, I think there are really two options:
1) if you plan on owning the car for a long time, definitely PPF the entire car and never worry about general wear and tear again.
2) If you are leasing and/or switch cars quickly, just PPF the front bumper and hood for much less.

Regardless of the path you take, the Dr Beasley matte specific products are great, and I highly recommend them. In general, washes are easier on frozen paints for a small/normal amount of dirt and grime.

Good luck with your decision!
      03-27-2023, 07:46 AM   #11
Mowe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2022 BMW M4   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
do the frozen wheel finishes require the same care ? i've been using regular quick detailer and washing soaps. should i get matte specific products?
I assume when you say frozen for wheels you mean matte. If yes then the answer is yes. They do require either special care or just plain soap and water.

I had matte wheels and once a detailer used “special” wheel cleaner and welp. It stained the entire wheel and had to be refinished.

I’ll never go matte on wheels again. Just my .02
      03-27-2023, 08:15 AM   #12
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

From everything i've seen, frozen + full xpel stealth looks 99% the same as regular paint + full xpel stealth. someone please explain what the benefit is of going frozen if you're going to cover it in stealth ppf anyway?
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      03-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #13
static_void
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Competition xDrive

The only "regret" I have is the cost of PPFing the entire car, but the peace of mind was worth it. The car gets a stupid amount of attention and comments on the road or at car meets due to the paint. The number one question I get asked, by far, is, "Who did this wrap?"

Would I do Frozen paint again? Probably, as long as I kept in mind the cost of PPF. It wasn't cheap.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 12:36 PM   #14
static_void
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
I do regret it.

I never had a matte finish car, and wanted to try it out, so I got a Frozen Pure Grey II G80.

First off, I take really good care of my cars and I hate any chips or scratches. With frozen, I decided to ppf the entire car, so that was about 6k right there. On a glossy car, I would never ppf the whole car, normally just the bumper/hood/rockers.

Then comes the anxiety if I ever need any paint work. I keep hearing that matching frozen color and finish is difficult.

If and when I order and LCI G80, I'll definitely go back to a regular glossy color.
Although I don't really regret the Frozen paint these are excellent points and I have expressed the same sentiments to friends/family before so I hear ya. It's more money, anxiety, maintenance, and the fear of damage is a real concern (for me).
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      03-27-2023, 12:56 PM   #15
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
From everything i've seen, frozen + full xpel stealth looks 99% the same as regular paint + full xpel stealth. someone please explain what the benefit is of going frozen if you're going to cover it in stealth ppf anyway?
There are a couple of reasons that if I had to do it all over again I'd go frozen vice BSM with Xpel Stealth, but the main one is that there are areas that aren't covered in PPF that are still shiny BSM. They include the door handles, the underside of the hood and the painted surfaces under the hood (I show my car at local C&Cs), in the door jams, inside the trunk, etc. I see them and I think to myself that I'd rather have it be consistent inside and out so that there isn't a line between matte and gloss.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2023, 01:06 PM   #16
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
I've said it before, it's not the same. When you look at a glossy car with matte film, it doesn't really look like frozen paint. Frozen still has a way to reflect objects and light how the light bounces off the surface is different. For example, when I look at the hood while driving, I can clearly make out lights and objects reflecting off the frozen paint.

That said, a matte wrap will get you the 'look' but I think unless you spent time with a frozen car and really look at the paint in detail (which most won't - unless it was your car) it would be hard pressed to appreciate the differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_void View Post
Although I don't really regret the Frozen paint these are excellent points and I have expressed the same sentiments to friends/family before so I hear ya. It's more money, anxiety, maintenance, and the fear of damage is a real concern (for me).
I will say, I'm definitely a little more OCD than most folks and I have yet to see any damage repair look as good as factory paint. With Frozen it's even worse. I do realize most people don't think like myself.

I also love detailing my own cars and I loved the freshly waxed look of glossy paint as well.
Appreciate 3
FISH225402.50
KevinGS3359.00
chris7197334.00
      03-27-2023, 01:13 PM   #17
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowe View Post
I assume when you say frozen for wheels you mean matte. If yes then the answer is yes. They do require either special care or just plain soap and water.

I had matte wheels and once a detailer used “special” wheel cleaner and welp. It stained the entire wheel and had to be refinished.

I’ll never go matte on wheels again. Just my .02
i have the frozen gold 763m wheels on my m2. just didn't know if the same paint process is applied to those. i've used my regular car wash soap, coin operated spray wash, and meguiars quick detailer on them and haven't noticed a difference. but i'll switch to a matte detail spray and soap if thats whats recommended

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      03-27-2023, 01:52 PM   #18
GScott
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks everyone. Locked in the change to Frozen Portimao. I enjoy washing my cars so maintenance wasn’t an issue. I plan to do Dr. Beasley’s and will probably invest in a water deionizer.
Appreciate 5
ScullyD5165.50
maelfyn156.50
dini_g80188.00
      03-27-2023, 01:54 PM   #19
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
I have it on the CSL, seems to be very easy to care for, just use a Dr Beasley's matte waterless wash and wipe the car down with microfiber towels. I didn't get it PPF'd and its holding up great.

But it is something you should wipe all the bugs/bird poop/etc off the car immediately after driving.

BTW: PPFing a frozen car changes the finish quite drastically. See the chris harris video where he only did a "Clear bra" on the PPF of the car.

I didn't PPF my CSL and i get lots of compliments from random people that no nothing about cars "is that wrapped? cause it looks different then any matte wrap i've ever seen". And thats cause its not wrapped. Frozen Brooklyn Grey looks vastly different than wrapped frozen brooklyn grey IMO.

I'm not a guarentee to PPF my Frozen Pure White CS either, cause my fear is, you will turn a uniquely painted BMW white into something that looks like a wrapped AW car. Why spend 133k on a CS to make it look like an AW matte wrapped M3 just cause i'm worried i might get a scratch.

Last edited by ScullyD; 03-27-2023 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 03:15 PM   #20
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
I've said it before, it's not the same. When you look at a glossy car with matte film, it doesn't really look like frozen paint. Frozen still has a way to reflect objects and light how the light bounces off the surface is different. For example, when I look at the hood while driving, I can clearly make out lights and objects reflecting off the frozen paint.
i agree that it's not the same, but do you think that frozen paint maintains those unique qualities once you've also covered it with matte film? That was really more my point, that once you cover it it's going to look pretty much the same. But fully admitting i've only seen this in photos and could be wrong.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #21
Grrveer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (sold) 2018 M2 (sold)

I do miss the shine/gloss of a freshly washed and corrected paint once in a while….. but do find that frozen dark grey suits the g80 really well.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 04:13 PM   #22
GScott
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
I have it on the CSL, seems to be very easy to care for, just use a Dr Beasley's matte waterless wash and wipe the car down with microfiber towels. I didn't get it PPF'd and its holding up great.

But it is something you should wipe all the bugs/bird poop/etc off the car immediately after driving.

BTW: PPFing a frozen car changes the finish quite drastically. See the chris harris video where he only did a "Clear bra" on the PPF of the car.

I didn't PPF my CSL and i get lots of compliments from random people that no nothing about cars "is that wrapped? cause it looks different then any matte wrap i've ever seen". And thats cause its not wrapped. Frozen Brooklyn Grey looks vastly different than wrapped frozen brooklyn grey IMO.

I'm not a guarentee to PPF my Frozen Pure White CS either, cause my fear is, you will turn a uniquely painted BMW white into something that looks like a wrapped AW car. Why spend 133k on a CS to make it look like an AW matte wrapped M3 just cause i'm worried i might get a scratch.
I’m not doing PPF for that reason. I plan on having the Dr. Beasley’s Pro installed and will be using their products exclusively. If I get a scratch I’ll deal with it.
Appreciate 2
ScullyD5165.50
ny2nj189.50