Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
I found the original install instructions (non plug & play harness) here: https://www.awron.de/wp-content/uplo...F97_F98_EN.pdf

What I don't see is if this install can be accomplished with zero wires showing in cabin? And what steps are removed from the above instructions with the plug & play harness?
Its a bit hard to illustrate, as there's nothing to show once it's installed - it's completely invisible.

No wires are seen from either install, that's the beauty of the kit. It operates as if it were an OEM feature.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 03:06 PM   #178
farishat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 330i ZHP, 2024 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Its a bit hard to illustrate, as there's nothing to show once it's installed - it's completely invisible.

No wires are seen from either install, that's the beauty of the kit. It operates as if it were an OEM feature.
Sounds really promising. You guys should do an install video. Also, dahler has a kit that plugs into the valve connectors in such a way that the OEM wire plugs into their harness which in turn plus into the valve connector, leaving nothing hanging unconnected and gets automatically invisible when taken to dealer for service. Is this connected the same way, or?
Appreciate 1
dtronics412.00
      02-21-2024, 04:56 PM   #179
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by farishat View Post
Sounds really promising. You guys should do an install video. Also, dahler has a kit that plugs into the valve connectors in such a way that the OEM wire plugs into their harness which in turn plus into the valve connector, leaving nothing hanging unconnected and gets automatically invisible when taken to dealer for service. Is this connected the same way, or?
The new Awron PnP harnesses installs the same way, you can see the EVC actuator connectors on the harness. The Awron module automatically goes into diagnostic mode (bypassed) when equipment is plugged into the OBD2 - all working together with the OEM ecosystem. There's no need to remove the kit for service, as the dealership won't find what they aren't looking for.

This picture shows an unassembled view of the Awron module. Awron units use an aluminum enclosure and invested in their own in-house SMT pick & place machines for assembly - these are professionally built as automotive electronics is their primary field. Mating connectors are AMP/Tyco, just like BMW uses, no shortcuts are taken.

CG Precision VSC-2
Numerous failures. Not worth reviewing.

Dahler
On the left is a picture the Dahler kit posted a couple of weeks ago. Among the wiring spring clamps (not recommended for automotive environments, due to vibration), I was a bit surprised to see they're powered by a $8 ATMega32u4 Adruino board and remote/receiver module, you can see the hand soldering and leftover flux on the header pins. Certainly not even in the ballpark of the $520 they're getting for the kit.

Dahler Kit Components
ATMega32u4 Adruino board - $8
QIACHIP Wireless 433Mhz RF Module Receiver - $7
433mhz remote - $1.57
Plastic project box, Miscellaneous daughterboard & wiring - $n/a

SST
Got a SST EVC module in and opened it up to see what's inside - amazing, - its almost identical to the Dahler unit and also using the $8 ATMega32u4, not surprised as these are typical for homebrew units.

SST Kit Components
433mhz remote - $0.88

In the end, one can clearly see the Awron has much higher build quality, more features, and OEM integration & professional build quality
Attached Images

Last edited by tom @ eas; 02-23-2024 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2024, 10:02 PM   #180
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

Does this basically cover what’s involved with the install of the controller w/ the PnP harness:

-Disconnect the battery negative
-Remove the panel under the glovebox
-Remove the drivers side panel
- Complete wiring in the FEM control unit (no need to do anything under the hood)
-Remove the lower entry trims aka door sills front and rear
-Route the wires through the removed doors sills to the trunk
-Exit the wires through the rubber plug in the trunk floor
-Connect to the EVC’s
-Replace trim/ panels

Does that pretty much cover what we’re looking at with this install?

Also, someone asked good question “
dahler has a kit that plugs into the valve connectors in such a way that the OEM wire plugs into their harness which in turn plus into the valve connector”. Does the AWRON controller use the OEM wires or do we have to zip tie the OEM wires away from the action?

If this install is more or less what I outlined above, PM me pricing for the controller w/ the PnP harness shipped to 02818 and I’ll order it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 04:47 PM   #181
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
Does this basically cover what’s involved with the install of the controller w/ the PnP harness:

-Disconnect the battery negative
-Remove the panel under the glovebox
-Remove the drivers side panel
- Complete wiring in the FEM control unit (no need to do anything under the hood)
-Remove the lower entry trims aka door sills front and rear
-Route the wires through the removed doors sills to the trunk
-Exit the wires through the rubber plug in the trunk floor
-Connect to the EVC’s
-Replace trim/ panels

Does that pretty much cover what we’re looking at with this install?

Also, someone asked good question “
dahler has a kit that plugs into the valve connectors in such a way that the OEM wire plugs into their harness which in turn plus into the valve connector”. Does the AWRON controller use the OEM wires or do we have to zip tie the OEM wires away from the action?

If this install is more or less what I outlined above, PM me pricing for the controller w/ the PnP harness shipped to 02818 and I’ll order it.
There no need to go into the engine compartment with the PnP harness, the EVC signal is instead grabbed from the EVC acutators with the provided connectors instead of at the DME.

Installers will prefer the standard harness as it's quicker once you are experienced with installs, DIY will most likely like the PnP route, since no cutting of wires is needed. Either way - we have you covered.

The PnP harness has both a male/female 3PIN connector (pictured) which plugs inline of the EVC actuator. One end goes into the actuator, the other into the OEM plug. This allows the Awron to work as a gateway module and take full control over the EVC actuators.

Appreciate 2
      02-24-2024, 05:19 PM   #182
bmagic1771
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Hey Tom, I ordered my unit from you guys but I’m not sure how the updates work. Will there be a notification when plugging the USB into the computer, an email sent to you, do you have to check every once in a while in this thread, or email you guys my self?

Just would like some clarification on the updating.
      02-24-2024, 11:41 PM   #183
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The new Awron PnP harnesses installs the same way, you can see the EVC actuator connectors on the harness. The Awron module automatically goes into diagnostic mode (bypassed) when equipment is plugged into the OBD2 - all working together with the OEM ecosystem. There's no need to remove the kit for service, as the dealership won't find what they aren't looking for.

This picture shows an unassembled view of the Awron module. Awron units use an aluminum enclosure and invested in their own in-house SMT pick & place machines for assembly - these are professionally built as automotive electronics is their primary field. Mating connectors are AMP/Tyco, just like BMW uses, no shortcuts are taken.

CG Precision VSC-2
Numerous failures. Not worth reviewing.

Dahler
On the left is a picture the Dahler kit posted a couple of weeks ago. Among the wiring spring clamps (not recommended for automotive environments, due to vibration), I was a bit surprised to see they're powered by a $8 ATMega32u4 Adruino board and remote/receiver module, you can see the hand soldering and leftover flux on the header pins. Certainly not even in the ballpark of the $520 they're getting for the kit.

Dahler Kit Components
433mhz remote - $1.57

SST
Got a SST EVC module in and opened it up to see what's inside - amazing, - its almost identical to the Dahler unit and also using the $8 ATMega32u4, not surprised as these are typical for homebrew units.

SST Kit Components
433mhz remote - $0.88

In the end, one can clearly see the Awron has much higher build quality, more features, and OEM integration & professional build quality
Couple points here:

1) I don't think the VSC2 is not worth reviewing. Majority of the failures were from people who mounted the controller incorrectly (i.e. to a piece of the exhaust) instead of following the instructions. I ran one for a while before switching cars and to the SST (which I impulse purchased as a "backup" in case my VSC2 failed, which it never did) and had no issues and mine never failed (due to correctly installing it). I still actually have it on a box as my new backup, actually.

2) What are the AWRON's BOM costs? I'm not sure why plastic, wiring, and assembly is "n/a," these have real costs?

3) I think it's pretty disingenuous to compare part costs without a) saying what AWRON's are and b) not considering things like time and effort to develop the firmware that's flashed on these (albeit readily available), getting a return on running their distribution for selling them, offering things like warranties and support, returns, refurbishment, production, etc. I'm sure you're well aware there are a lot of costs that aren't exactly tangible in a piece of hardware for the end product.

This is not to say AWRON's product isn't objectively better. As someone who doesn't own one, I think it is. Straight up. It offers more functionality and more flexibility. I just personally don't think it's worth it as I don't really care for any of the features it offers over any of the more "dumb" offerings. I felt the need to comment on this comparison for the reasons I posted above and I don't think it's fair to "look down" on any of these products just because they're not yours. I get that you're trying to push your product, but be fair about it.

They offer a similar path to identical functionality (but without some of the fine tuning stuff) for a little less (VSC2) or more (SST) than half the price for those that don't want to mess with running wires along the various panels and door frames along the entire length of their car just to get some valve control.

(I'm not even considering the Dahler here because that's just expensive for no reason)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 12:40 AM   #184
Predatar
Private
Rep
Drives: G82X

@Tom what does your shop charge to install the PnP Awron?
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 01:50 PM   #185
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatar View Post
@Tom what does your shop charge to install the PnP Awron?
PM incoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmagic1771 View Post
Hey Tom, I ordered my unit from you guys but I’m not sure how the updates work. Will there be a notification when plugging the USB into the computer, an email sent to you, do you have to check every once in a while in this thread, or email you guys my self?

Just would like some clarification on the updating.
Check in the thread for the time being, or make note of your SW version and check in anytime and we can tell you if updates have been provided since.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:24 AM   #186
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

kevin @ eas thanks for getting this installed in my car yesterday, really enjoy being able to open and close the valves with the oem button.
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8209.00
      03-06-2024, 03:26 PM   #187
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Will the pnp harness work with a unit purchased last summer, and do you sell them stand alone?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:03 PM   #188
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
Will the pnp harness work with a unit purchased last summer, and do you sell them stand alone?
If you are referring to the silver module, unfortunately no.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:09 PM   #189
Workaholic
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp xDrive 2024

hi Tom, sorry for spamming different threads - I guess this is the right place to ask the question.

Shipping is aprox 50 USD and I also expect that they will tax us as it's coming from outside the EU. So probably will cost close to 100 USD to get this to the Netherlands.

I see that Awron is a germany company with their own webshop, can you confirm the plug and play harness is something that you guys have made? Or is this coming from Awron? Not seeing that option on their website.

Obviously I would prefer buying via you guys.. maybe we can route the parts to the Netherlands if you guys purchase direct? Would appreicate a DM/PM if you have an idea on how we can get this done. I'm part of a larger G80 group of riders here, I think many (20+) of us are interested if this works out.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:15 PM   #190
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
hi Tom, sorry for spamming different threads - I guess this is the right place to ask the question.

Shipping is aprox 50 USD and I also expect that they will tax us as it's coming from outside the EU. So probably will cost close to 100 USD to get this to the Netherlands.

I see that Awron is a germany company with their own webshop, can you confirm the plug and play harness is something that you guys have made? Or is this coming from Awron? Not seeing that option on their website.

Obviously I would prefer buying via you guys.. maybe we can route the parts to the Netherlands if you guys purchase direct? Would appreicate a DM/PM if you have an idea on how we can get this done. I'm part of a larger G80 group of riders here, I think many (20+) of us are interested if this works out.
PM incoming.

Appreciate 0