01-26-2023, 10:37 PM   #1
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
G80 Aftermarket Clutch Options

I have a 2022 G80 MT with Clutch Masters FX 400. I have had nothing but trouble with this upgrade and I am looking for suggestions and alternatives. The clutch does not fully disengage at the stop. I tried replacing slave and had tranny dropped 4 times already.

Are there alternatives?
Does anyone have experience with this clutch?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:05 PM   #2
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Watching...

That's a bummer man :/. I haven't heard much from folks with this upgrade but I'm very interested.

Manufacturer say anything?
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2023, 11:24 PM   #3
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Watching...

That's a bummer man :/. I haven't heard much from folks with this upgrade but I'm very interested.

Manufacturer say anything?
Ya, so they told me that my first one was out of warranty because I didn’t install it right away… ya, first one! They ended up sending me a second clutch only. At this point they stoped replying to me because according to them, 15 units were sold and I’m 1 of 2 people who are having disengament issues. The new clutch didn’t last very long and then I took the car to another shop which was recommended by a fellow tuner. The shop dropped the trany and told me right away that the clutch don’t fit. I went back to the manufacturer who said 1-send it back and maybe we’ll do something for you or 2-buy a new set at a discount. Shipping back and forth with time spent in a rental I might as well just go with option 2. After installing the clutch and flushing the trany + new slave and hydraulic flush (for the 10th time)… the shop called me today and said that there is improvement but the clutch does not fit the car. Same issue is present where there is resistance going into first after stopping.

So 4 x 1000 for the labour and 2 x 2200USD for the parts. Not counting the slaves I went through thinking that the slave was the issue.

I’m totally lost for words and I’m back to square one where I was about 6m ago when i originally installed FX 400

We have a big group of MT G80 but I’m not finding any luck with solutions…

Online, I can’t find anything compatible so I am reaching out for the first time to see if anyone out there has any info.
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13469.00
LuckyBrand1309.50
vitipr171.00
M_Torx328.00
      01-26-2023, 11:31 PM   #4
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Subbing
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:36 PM   #5
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I would hit up G80_Soom he has a working FX400 in his car. Maybe he can provide some insight? As to how well it works, I have no idea. Check this thread, it may help.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1916513

Appreciate 4
      01-26-2023, 11:49 PM   #6
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I would hit up G80_Soom he has a working FX400 in his car. Maybe he can provide some insight? As to how well it works, I have no idea.
Soom and I speak about this constantly as we were pretty much the first ones upgrading the clutch. I called his shop and they had trouble with this but somehow figured it out, the suggestion was to chnage the slave but I’m already through 4 slaves.

1- (original) cdv delete
2- second original cdv delete
3- F80 slave with no CDV
4- back to G80 with CDV untouched

The second clutch kit I bought (in the car now) is feeling best ever but the shop told me that it will eventually go to the point it was with the previous clutch kit because there is resistance going into first gear because there clutch is not coming apparat far enough, at the point of resistance tou can feel the car etching forward slightly which was the issue with the previous.

They are saying the slave is maxing out and working property but it’s not enough to push the disks apart.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      01-27-2023, 12:06 AM   #7
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_g80_mt View Post
Soom and I speak about this constantly as we were pretty much the first ones upgrading the clutch. I called his shop and they had trouble with this but somehow figured it out, the suggestion was to chnage the slave but I’m already through 4 slaves.

1- (original) cdv delete
2- second original cdv delete
3- F80 slave with no CDV
4- back to G80 with CDV untouched

The second clutch kit I bought (in the car now) is feeling best ever but the shop told me that it will eventually go to the point it was with the previous clutch kit because there is resistance going into first gear because there clutch is not coming apparat far enough, at the point of resistance tou can feel the car etching forward slightly which was the issue with the previous.

They are saying the slave is maxing out and working property but it’s not enough to push the disks apart.
Ok, at least you’ve gone that far. I know zero about the G80 clutch system, as my car is a Comp, but, I’ve dealt with clutches on many cars and I’ve heard of similar issues on different platforms. Some of the things, I remember, were while using Clutch Masters clutches, but this kit comes with its own flywheel. I've had at least 3 CM clutches, that I can remember. Otherwise, I’d say I know we had to have the flywheel turned and have a step cut into it, so, it would disengage properly. But this was with an oem pressure plate on another brand of car.

The next thing was manual pedal adjustment. Does the clutch pedal manually adjust from under the dash? Like I said, I’m not sure how this system works. But I know we had some issues with clutch drag and adjusting the pedal, which changed the bite point, helped.

Third, we stacked washers between the bell housing mount point and the slave cylinder. Meaning, remove the two slave bolts and get a washer that would fit bellhousing, washer, slave cylinder, then slave bolt. This moved the slave cylinder forward 2-3mm and would release the clutch.

It sounds like if the manufacturer can’t provide anymore info, and that you’re stuck looking for solutions to their problem. Which always sucks.

Im going to reach out to my buddy Norris in Virginia, he owns P2uned and Prayontoo Racing. They have some 8-9 sec Supras. I know hes starting to deal with manual Supras. One of his biggest race sponsors, is also Clutch Masters, and Driveshaft Shop. He also has a tuned G82.
Attached Images

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 01-27-2023 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
ChrisM41621.50
      01-27-2023, 07:13 AM   #8
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, at least you’ve gone that far. I know zero about the G80 clutch system, as my car is a Comp, but, I’ve dealt with clutches on many cars and I’ve heard of similar issues on different platforms. Some of the things, I remember, were while using Clutch Masters clutches, but this kit comes with its own flywheel. I've had at least 3 CM clutches, that I can remember. Otherwise, I’d say I know we had to have the flywheel turned and have a step cut into it, so, it would disengage properly. But this was with an oem pressure plate on another brand of car.

The next thing was manual pedal adjustment. Does the clutch pedal manually adjust from under the dash? Like I said, I’m not sure how this system works. But I know we had some issues with clutch drag and adjusting the pedal, which changed the bite point, helped.

Third, we stacked washers between the bell housing mount point and the slave cylinder. Meaning, remove the two slave bolts and get a washer that would fit bellhousing, washer, slave cylinder, then slave bolt. This moved the slave cylinder forward 2-3mm and would release the clutch.

It sounds like if the manufacturer can’t provide anymore info, and that you’re stuck looking for solutions to their problem. Which always sucks.

Im going to reach out to my buddy Norris in Virginia, he owns P2uned and Prayontoo Racing. They have some 8-9 sec Supras. I know hes starting to deal with manual Supras. One of his biggest race sponsors, is also Clutch Masters, and Driveshaft Shop. He also has a tuned G82.
This is great advice…I went through something similar with my old F-body race car and a Stage 4 sintered iron disc clutch. When I finally had it sorted I could dump the clutch on that car at 7K rpm on slicks and it would not slip. It also worked amazing on the road course. OP I hope you get it sorted!
M_Torx328.00
      01-27-2023, 07:17 AM   #9
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

There is no way to adjust the pedal. G80 does not have the option. The shop mentioned that they tried to find a way to adjust travel but no luck.

The way that the slave cylinder is designed is to be put up right against the transmission, there is no way to make it go deeper. That would be a perfect solution.

Plz touch base with me once you hear back from P2, the manual is B58 but I’m sure it’s very similar
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      01-27-2023, 07:22 AM   #10
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
There is no way to adjust the pedal. G80 does not have the option. The shop mentioned that they tried to find a way to adjust travel but no luck.

The way that the slave cylinder is designed is to be put up right against the transmission, there is no way to make it go deeper. That would be a perfect solution.

Plz touch base with me once you hear back from P2, the manual is B58 but I’m sure it’s very similar
B58 been out for a while so I think there are many options for this upgrade
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      01-27-2023, 01:06 PM   #11
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
B58 been out for a while so I think there are many options for this upgrade
Unfortunately, I think the manual just came out for 2022.

Appreciate 1
M_Torx328.00
      01-27-2023, 01:14 PM   #12
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately, I think the manual just came out for 2022.
B58 in a 340/240 ans so on been out since 2015 I think. I looked up clutch options and you can get them
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      01-27-2023, 01:25 PM   #13
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
B58 in a 340/240 ans so on been out since 2015 I think. I looked up clutch options and you can get them
Your other more feasible option would be to have someone custom mill you an extended pushrod. Like I’m saying, I don’t know anything about the G80 setup, but, if it’s like every other slave that I know, the pushrod isn’t under pressure, and sealed.

Pulling the rubber boot off, and the pushrod falls out, because all it does, is just push on the face of the slave cylinder hydraulic plunger. If that’s the case, get a slave extension custom milled out of billet. Try a few different lengths.

Like this. https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...roductid=18900
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-27-2023, 05:42 PM   #14
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Your other more feasible option would be to have someone custom mill you an extended pushrod. Like I’m saying, I don’t know anything about the G80 setup, but, if it’s like every other slave that I know, the pushrod isn’t under pressure, and sealed.

Pulling the rubber boot off, and the pushrod falls out, because all it does, is just push on the face of the slave cylinder hydraulic plunger. If that’s the case, get a slave extension custom milled out of billet. Try a few different lengths.

Like this. https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...roductid=18900
Hey I can’t reply to your msg for some reason…

Initial communication was with L***, he sent me the clutch disk and pressure plate only.

K**** asked me to send the kit back or to just buy one at at a better price, I went with the new kit because rental alone would have cost me the price of the clutch.

I haven’t reached back to him to let him know that the second kit is flawed🤷🏻‍♂️ I am waiting for rhe shop to send me a detailed email with the findings.

Let’s put it this way, when I’m pull up to the light and let the clutch out, going back into first, there is resistance and the car starts moving forward on flat ground. That’s with the brand new clutch

I hope this answered your question.

I also took the slave apart and I don’t think I can do anything with it… push rod is fixed and if I pop it open I can’t put it back to original. Push rod is fixed to the piston.

I also tried slave extension and it didn’t help I am not sure why, maybe it’s maxing out… I made a little condom looking thing to put over the end of the push rod which killed some of the pedal which I thought was because the extension +rod is maxing out.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      01-27-2023, 07:36 PM   #15
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Following
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      01-27-2023, 08:57 PM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey I can’t reply to your msg for some reason…

Initial communication was with L***, he sent me the clutch disk and pressure plate only.

K**** asked me to send the kit back or to just buy one at at a better price, I went with the new kit because rental alone would have cost me the price of the clutch.

I haven’t reached back to him to let him know that the second kit is flawed🤷🏻‍♂️ I am waiting for rhe shop to send me a detailed email with the findings.

Let’s put it this way, when I’m pull up to the light and let the clutch out, going back into first, there is resistance and the car starts moving forward on flat ground. That’s with the brand new clutch

I hope this answered your question.

I also took the slave apart and I don’t think I can do anything with it… push rod is fixed and if I pop it open I can’t put it back to original. Push rod is fixed to the piston.

I also tried slave extension and it didn’t help I am not sure why, maybe it’s maxing out… I made a little condom looking thing to put over the end of the push rod which killed some of the pedal which I thought was because the extension +rod is maxing out.
It’s ok, I didn’t see this reply, either.

I shot him the reply. Let’s see what he says.

Appreciate 2
      02-05-2023, 10:31 PM   #17
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Ya, so they told me that my first one was out of warranty because I didn’t install it right away… ya, first one! They ended up sending me a second clutch only. At this point they stoped replying to me because according to them, 15 units were sold and I’m 1 of 2 people who are having disengament issues. The new clutch didn’t last very long and then I took the car to another shop which was recommended by a fellow tuner. The shop dropped the trany and told me right away that the clutch don’t fit. I went back to the manufacturer who said 1-send it back and maybe we’ll do something for you or 2-buy a new set at a discount. Shipping back and forth with time spent in a rental I might as well just go with option 2. After installing the clutch and flushing the trany + new slave and hydraulic flush (for the 10th time)… the shop called me today and said that there is improvement but the clutch does not fit the car. Same issue is present where there is resistance going into first after stopping.

So 4 x 1000 for the labour and 2 x 2200USD for the parts. Not counting the slaves I went through thinking that the slave was the issue.

I’m totally lost for words and I’m back to square one where I was about 6m ago when i originally installed FX 400

We have a big group of MT G80 but I’m not finding any luck with solutions…

Online, I can’t find anything compatible so I am reaching out for the first time to see if anyone out there has any info.
Sorry to hear that! I went through the same thing but with my F80. At least they sent you a second one. I sent them the damaged one for them to do “research”. Im still waiting for the replacement they were going to send me, 3 years and counting. File a complain and nothing. I would burn the car before ordering a clutchmaster clutch 😑. Hope you find a solution!

Edit: Shout out to Luis at Clutch Master for never returning my clutch back, and money 😂.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:13 AM   #18
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitipr View Post
Sorry to hear that! I went through the same thing but with my F80. At least they sent you a second one. I sent them the damaged one for them to do “research”. Im still waiting for the replacement they were going to send me, 3 years and counting. File a complain and nothing. I would burn the car before ordering a clutchmaster clutch 😑. Hope you find a solution!

Edit: Shout out to Luis at Clutch Master for never returning my clutch back, and money 😂.
Ya he told me to out the throw out on a short setting and try…. Try what? It’s not long enough on long setting and you want me to waste money to put it on short and try

I did as he suggested and yeah, wasted money as we expected
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      02-06-2023, 08:00 PM   #19
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Ya he told me to out the throw out on a short setting and try…. Try what? It’s not long enough on long setting and you want me to waste money to put it on short and try

I did as he suggested and yeah, wasted money as we expected
Yup. Similar situation. He also suggested a few things and nothing. $5k later car was put to stock and sold. They dont care about your money and/or time. Lesson learned! Hopefully you can somve your situation I know it can be very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:33 AM   #20
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Well this sucks considerkng this was my go to for when I mod the G87
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13469.00
LuckyBrand1309.50
      02-08-2023, 03:48 AM   #21
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M_GOD View Post
Jesus this is not good news for us manual owners. Any other clutch options yet?
I haven't heard anything yet. I would send the stock clutch around to a few places to see what they can do. There are alot of other options with companies, that just don't have anything in their arsenal, yet.

Spec, Tilton, ACT, Exedy, Sachs, Southbend, Xtreme, QuarterMaster. Etc. I would think QM, and Tilton would be most interested. They make twin disks for just about everything.

Appreciate 3
      02-08-2023, 10:25 AM   #22
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
I haven't heard anything yet. I would send the stock clutch around to a few places to see what they can do. There are alot of other options with companies, that just don't have anything in their arsenal, yet.

Spec, Tilton, ACT, Exedy, Sachs, Southbend, Xtreme, QuarterMaster. Etc. I would think QM, and Tilton would be most interested. They make twin disks for just about everything.
Maybe now with the new M2 more people will want an upgraded clutch.
The post said only 15 were sold. That's not a lot of demand
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00