BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-25-2023, 09:04 PM   #67
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 Comp

Flash the BM3 stage 2 map and the XHP stage 3 map. Man she’s a beast now! Can’t use 2wd drive mode anymore below 3-4th gear all she does is spin but in 4wd sport she’s hooks and books. In all it’s a very easy process. Took 8 days from start to finish. Below is the total cost breakdown.

DHL shipping from Florida to Finland
$230

Fees from Femto
750 euros to unlocked
150 euros to shipped DME back

BM3 + map pack
$695

Total cost
Appreciate 7
Jon H391.50
vitipr171.00
TypeDre111.00
KiNG$h!t215.50
pateke198.00
gapband240.00
      04-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #68
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus38 View Post
Flash the BM3 stage 2 map and the XHP stage 3 map. Man she’s a beast now! Can’t use 2wd drive mode anymore below 3-4th gear all she does is spin but in 4wd sport she’s hooks and books. In all it’s a very easy process. Took 8 days from start to finish. Below is the total cost breakdown.

$230

Fees from Femto
750 euros to unlocked

BM3 + map pack
$695

Total cost
Did you arrange the shipment with DHL of your DME back to you after it was unlock or Femto put in the box and you made the payment?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 05:16 PM   #69
M2GUY
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nityrider View Post
Did you arrange the shipment with DHL of your DME back to you after it was unlock or Femto put in the box and you made the payment?
Femto does it
Appreciate 1
Jon H391.50
      04-28-2023, 07:26 PM   #70
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:

$230

Fees from Femto
750 euros to unlocked

BM3 + map pack
$695

Total cost
I’m sorry to be asking so much noob questions because i don’t understand all the tuning software that is used. None of this cost involve in an actual tune from a tuner correct?

is BM3 just the software? Is there other software? Is XHP stage 3 map completely different cost?

Sorry for all the noob questions, really want to tune this car but still a little lost in the software and how things would work. I feel like the Hellcat was so easy lol.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 10:19 PM   #71
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
I’m sorry to be asking so much noob questions because i don’t understand all the tuning software that is used. None of this cost involve in an actual tune from a tuner correct?

is BM3 just the software? Is there other software? Is XHP stage 3 map completely different cost?

Sorry for all the noob questions, really want to tune this car but still a little lost in the software and how things would work. I feel like the Hellcat was so easy lol.
Basically our ECU is locked and it's not quite like how it used to be where you can flash your own right away.

FEMTO handles the unlock and requires that you send your ECU their office in Finland.

BM3 (Bootmod3) is the engine tuning software. Once you get your ECU back from FEMTO, you can flash BM3 or MHD. You must purchase the license before it goes to FEMTO and AFAIK, you cannot change from one to the other without another send out to FEMTO. If you want to use ECUTek, that requires a ECU from a specific year BMW or first year MKV Supra. Send that along with your OEM ECU to FEMTO for them to clone it.

XHP is the transmission tuning software and a separate purchase and flash.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2023, 10:21 PM   #72
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nityrider View Post
When FEMTO receives your shipment, they'll reach out via email with bank wire information. That price is the price of unlock and shipping back to you. They'll ship it back to you in the box they received.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 1
Abacus38237.50
      04-28-2023, 10:27 PM   #73
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

"I’m sorry to be asking so much noob questions because i don’t understand all the tuning software that is used. None of this cost involve in an actual tune from a tuner correct?

is BM3 just the software? Is there other software?"

Bootmod3 aka BM3 is the turner software that allows us to tune the car. It would be like using HP tuners with your Hellcat. BM3 in itself cost $595. You get one free off the shelf (OTS) map with the purchase if BM3. If you want to buy all the OTS maps available it cost $100. Eventually I'm going to get my car pro tune on e50 but as of right now the OTS maps offer plenty of power. Now, there's 3 main flash tuning platforms for our cars. MHD, BM3, or ECUtek. BM3 and MHD requires you to send you DME to Femto so they can unlocked it. Unfortunately they are the only ones who can do it and it requires you to send your ecu to Finland. To run ECUtek you have to send you DME to Finland for them to unlock it and you have to find a pre 6/2020 X3m/X4M DME and have yours clone to it. Its a huge PITA so I recommend you just sticking with BM3 or MHD. You can't go wrong with either platform.

"Is XHP stage 3 map completely different cost?"

XHP is the software that allows us to tune our transmissions. Unlike the Hellcats which use HP tuners for both we have to use two different tuning program. XHP program along with the OTS maps cost about $480. I highly recommend you get it. The stage 3 map along with BM3 OTS E50 map is such lethal combo.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2023, 07:56 AM   #74
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
Basically our ECU is locked and it's not quite like how it used to be where you can flash your own right away.

FEMTO handles the unlock and requires that you send your ECU their office in Finland.

BM3 (Bootmod3) is the engine tuning software. Once you get your ECU back from FEMTO, you can flash BM3 or MHD. You must purchase the license before it goes to FEMTO and AFAIK, you cannot change from one to the other without another send out to FEMTO. If you want to use ECUTek, that requires a ECU from a specific year BMW or first year MKV Supra. Send that along with your OEM ECU to FEMTO for them to clone it.

XHP is the transmission tuning software and a separate purchase and flash.
Quote:
"I’m sorry to be asking so much noob questions because i don’t understand all the tuning software that is used. None of this cost involve in an actual tune from a tuner correct?

is BM3 just the software? Is there other software?"

Bootmod3 aka BM3 is the turner software that allows us to tune the car. It would be like using HP tuners with your Hellcat. BM3 in itself cost $595. You get one free off the shelf (OTS) map with the purchase if BM3. If you want to buy all the OTS maps available it cost $100. Eventually I'm going to get my car pro tune on e50 but as of right now the OTS maps offer plenty of power. Now, there's 3 main flash tuning platforms for our cars. MHD, BM3, or ECUtek. BM3 and MHD requires you to send you DME to Femto so they can unlocked it. Unfortunately they are the only ones who can do it and it requires you to send your ecu to Finland. To run ECUtek you have to send you DME to Finland for them to unlock it and you have to find a pre 6/2020 X3m/X4M DME and have yours clone to it. Its a huge PITA so I recommend you just sticking with BM3 or MHD. You can't go wrong with either platform.

"Is XHP stage 3 map completely different cost?"

XHP is the software that allows us to tune our transmissions. Unlike the Hellcats which use HP tuners for both we have to use two different tuning program. XHP program along with the OTS maps cost about $480. I highly recommend you get it. The stage 3 map along with BM3 OTS E50 map is such lethal combo.

Thank you so much guys for the detail response. I get it now. Hellcat had the Diablo or HP tuner. So this is really similar.

The free off the shelf map is generic tune? If I want to custom tune, there’s options like Paul, Jordan and HCP? Does the generic tune remove the speed limiter?

Can you run flex tune on this if I don’t want to deal with mixing fuel for E30 or E40….and this is the really stupid question…When guys are mentioning they’re running E30, E40….All these mixes/fuel. They have to refuel at home right…?

I’ve never deal with mixing fuel before. I’m not looking to chase records. I’m looking for a little more sauce in case I run into Shelby GT 500 or stock Z06 that I can slay
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 09:42 AM   #75
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much guys for the detail response. I get it now. Hellcat had the Diablo or HP tuner. So this is really similar.

The free off the shelf map is generic tune? If I want to custom tune, there’s options like Paul, Jordan and HCP? Does the generic tune remove the speed limiter?

Can you run flex tune on this if I don’t want to deal with mixing fuel for E30 or E40….and this is the really stupid question…When guys are mentioning they’re running E30, E40….All these mixes/fuel. They have to refuel at home right…?

I’ve never deal with mixing fuel before. I’m not looking to chase records. I’m looking for a little more sauce in case I run into Shelby GT 500 or stock Z06 that I can slay
There's a few OTS maps that BM3 offers. Once you download the map, you can change some basic settings like Speed Limiter removal and burbles. Do this before you flash the map. If you want custom, I'm currently undergoing the tuning process with Paul and it's been great. Well worth the money. BM3 OTS maps are still really good though.

If you want to run flex, you need to install one of the flex fuel kits offered. The Fuel It kit is not compatible. I'm running the Visconti kit but the BM3 kit is right around the corner and I would wait for that. BM3 customer service is top notch. When guys say they are running X, those are mixes of regular pump gas and E85. With our cars it's fairly easy to calculate using the BMW app for your car and an E85 mixture app. Pull the tank percentage data from the BMW app and then plug it into the e85 app. It'll tell you how much gas to pump and how much e85 to pump. Do remember that you do need to have a CAN Bus Flex Fuel sensor or else the flex fuel map will not adjust by itself.
Attached Images

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 3
      04-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #76
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There's a few OTS maps that BM3 offers. Once you download the map, you can change some basic settings like Speed Limiter removal and burbles. Do this before you flash the map. If you want custom, I'm currently undergoing the tuning process with Paul and it's been great. Well worth the money. BM3 OTS maps are still really good though.

If you want to run flex, you need to install one of the flex fuel kits offered. The Fuel It kit is not compatible. I'm running the Visconti kit but the BM3 kit is right around the corner and I would wait for that. BM3 customer service is top notch. When guys say they are running X, those are mixes of regular pump gas and E85. With our cars it's fairly easy to calculate using the BMW app for your car and an E85 mixture app. Pull the tank percentage data from the BMW app and then plug it into the e85 app. It'll tell you how much gas to pump and how much e85 to pump. Do remember that you do need to have a CAN Bus Flex Fuel sensor or else the flex fuel map will not adjust by itself.
BMW app..? Not the one that is official BMW where you can pay monthly car payments app?

How much is the Visconti flex fuel kit?

How fast were you on your OST Maps with XHP trans tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 10:09 AM   #77
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW app..? Not the one that is official BMW where you can pay monthly car payments app?

My BMW app. It connects to your car and you can do things like remote lock/unlock, ventilate cabin, check how much fuel you have, location, bird's eye view, etc.

Visconti kit is $650.

I didn't get a chance to run a Dragy with the OTS map. I did run a 9.76@141 with Paul Johnson tune but it's still undergoing revisions.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 3
      04-29-2023, 11:42 AM   #78
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

If it doesn't rain Sunday I'll be able to tell you how fast the OTS e50 is at the test and tune. I suspecting low 10s around 135 trap.

IG Perseus_Actual
Performance: DP, Intakes, BM3 Flex Fuel tune By Bend Calibrations
Cosmetic: CF front lip, Diffuser, and Spoiler
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2023, 12:53 PM   #79
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If it doesn't rain Sunday I'll be able to tell you how fast the OTS e50 is at the test and tune. I suspecting low 10s around 135 trap.
That’s pretty solid. Is this with DP?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 01:15 PM   #80
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s pretty solid. Is this with DP?
I have DPs and Drop in filters sitting in my garage but I haven't installed them yet so this will be tune only.

IG Perseus_Actual
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 01:45 PM   #81
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep

Wow really interested to see how it will do without dp. I would like not to remove my stock cats. I hate the smell.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 08:04 PM   #82
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow really interested to see how it will do without dp. I would like not to remove my stock cats. I hate the smell.
Couldn’t run today due to weather but we’ll try again Thursday. Also my draggy will be in tomorrow so I can get some 60-130mph times.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2023, 08:58 PM   #83
LeRoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp XD.

Quote:

Wouldn’t it make a difference if you were full of 93 to begin with. Or if you already had mix in it?
I assume this app is just assuming you’re already running an emix.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:10 PM   #84
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
Wouldn’t it make a difference if you were full of 93 to begin with. Or if you already had mix in it?
I assume this app is just assuming you’re already running an emix.
Depends on the map you are running. If you are running the flex fuel map and you have the proper flex fuel sensor installed then the car will adjust depending on how much e85 your running. If you aren't running a flex fuel map then it'll just assume what you running.

IG Perseus_Actual
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:12 PM   #85
LeRoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp XD.

Quote:
Depends on the map you are running. If you are running the flex fuel map and you have the proper flex fuel sensor installed then the car will adjust depending on how much e85 your running. If you aren't running a flex fuel map then it'll just assume what you running.
Right on. Thx
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:26 PM   #86
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You have to tell the app what your current ethanol content is. So if you have a full tank of 93, it'll tell you to remove X amount of 93 and add e85.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
LeRoy389.00
      05-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #87
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You have to tell the app what your current ethanol content is. So if you have a full tank of 93, it'll tell you to remove X amount of 93 and add e85.
Do you to measure out if it's true E85 at the Gas station before you pump or do you just have a 55 gallon drum of it at home? Some of the gas stations around me sometimes can be as low as E75.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 11:59 AM   #88
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Couldn’t run today due to weather but we’ll try again Thursday. Also my draggy will be in tomorrow so I can get some 60-130mph times.
Can't wait to see it man. I just saw there's catted DP from MAD. Is that what you're currently planning to install. I assume that will eliminate the smell quite significantly.
Appreciate 0