Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-12-2024, 02:19 PM   #67
GabesSlowM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IOMG M4/Mustang GT S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabesSlowM4 View Post
Hey guys, been following this thread. I agree with OP that this may be related to the idler pulley. I have another thread talking about the issue. I live in a dry desert so I hardly noticed a whine or have it cold enough to replicate the issue upon start up. However, recently we had a few rain showers which brought in humidity. While in idle this noise or a similar noise occurred. Fast forward a week or two the weather completely drys up and warms. With this the noise completely disappears. Again, last week we get another shower of rain and humidity has been hovering around the 50% range here. The sound returns.
Here are the sounds mine make. Again no codes are thrown or any issues with the car being brought up to operational temperature. It does sound like idler pulley may be improperly grease packed.
https://files.fm/f/ak5fxm46bq
https://files.fm/f/utydgsbhaz
These are the two separate occurrences that I recorded!
I have an oil change scheduled for this Friday and to have this checked out. I have already sent my SA a copy of the video. He has it saved and documented. In my other thread I had thought my appointment was this past Friday..... It's this upcoming Friday Felt like an idiot when they told me I was a week early lol....
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2024, 04:00 PM   #68
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Very interesting cause I just noticed that on mine but its not as loud as the otheres here.

It only squeaks every 10 or so starts in the morning when its below 35.
      03-12-2024, 04:31 PM   #69
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys, been following this thread. I agree with OP that this may be related to the idler pulley. I have another thread talking about the issue. I live in a dry desert so I hardly noticed a whine or have it cold enough to replicate the issue upon start up. However, recently we had a few rain showers which brought in humidity. While in idle this noise or a similar noise occurred. Fast forward a week or two the weather completely drys up and warms. With this the noise completely disappears. Again, last week we get another shower of rain and humidity has been hovering around the 50% range here. The sound returns.
Here are the sounds mine make. Again no codes are thrown or any issues with the car being brought up to operational temperature. It does sound like idler pulley may be improperly grease packed.
https://files.fm/f/ak5fxm46bq
https://files.fm/f/utydgsbhaz
These are the two separate occurrences that I recorded!
I encourage everyone to bring this in to have it looked at so BMW knows it’s a common issue. That’s the only way something will be released.

I’ve also noticed a correlation with humidity, sometimes it’ll be cold but doesn’t make the sound. Then if it has rained and it’s cold, it definitely does it.

My dealer has a pulley on order at the moment but didn’t specify which one yet and they’ll be keeping it til next week when temps drop back down. Will report back soon!
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 09:12 PM   #70
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Is there a way to have this moved to the Mechanical Maintenance/TSB section? I made this a while ago when I was still fresh to the forum.
2017 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White (traded in)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:17 AM   #71
ObsessedM3C
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisp97 View Post
I encourage everyone to bring this in to have it looked at so BMW knows it’s a common issue. That’s the only way something will be released.

I’ve also noticed a correlation with humidity, sometimes it’ll be cold but doesn’t make the sound. Then if it has rained and it’s cold, it definitely does it.

My dealer has a pulley on order at the moment but didn’t specify which one yet and they’ll be keeping it til next week when temps drop back down. Will report back soon!
update for me: they’ve gone ahead and replaced the belt, tensioner, AND pulley all under warranty as that’s what BMW said to do. they reported back no noise but the weather has been really good here lately so idk how much water that statement can hold. I’ll keep an eye on it. definitely bring it in because for Canada atleast there is a something for it.
Appreciate 2
Krisp97296.50
      03-14-2024, 10:33 AM   #72
GabesSlowM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedM3C View Post
update for me: they’ve gone ahead and replaced the belt, tensioner, AND pulley all under warranty as that’s what BMW said to do. they reported back no noise but the weather has been really good here lately so idk how much water that statement can hold. I’ll keep an eye on it. definitely bring it in because for Canada atleast there is a service bulletin for it.
Good to hear! I have my appointment first thing tomorrow morning. I'll ask about the service bulletin! I'm state side so i'll see what they say.
Appreciate 1
Krisp97296.50
      03-14-2024, 11:31 AM   #73
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
update for me: they’ve gone ahead and replaced the belt, tensioner, AND pulley all under warranty as that’s what BMW said to do. they reported back no noise but the weather has been really good here lately so idk how much water that statement can hold. I’ll keep an eye on it. definitely bring it in because for Canada atleast there is a service bulletin for it.
I got the same thing I believe...

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2089581

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 11:54 AM   #74
GabesSlowM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyShiftG80 View Post
Yup! Yours sounds like mine! Mine isn't as loud and doesn't have the obnoxious cold start whine but does this at idle. Will go away with revs as well. Hopefully the pulley isn't back-ordered I was gonna get a loaner but don't wanna pay for it long term.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:02 PM   #75
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad to hear that! I was told they replaced a pulley and testing tomorrow morning, although it wont be too cold. I may have them hold onto it until this coming Monday as temperatures will be dropping back down to the 30's Fahrenheit to confirm no sound.

They did confirm they completed the replacement so I will post an update soon once I know what exactly they did and if that fixed it.
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2024, 02:13 PM   #76
ObsessedM3C
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyShiftG80 View Post
get it checked!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-14-2024, 03:24 PM   #77
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
get it checked!!!!
That is one hell of a technician RO write up. That guy deserves a raise for the dedication.

Heres to hoping its gone for good
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2024, 09:46 AM   #78
GabesSlowM4
Private First Class
Rep

Just dropped the car off will update you guys further! Hoping they can replicate the problem
Appreciate 1
Krisp97296.50
      03-15-2024, 10:27 AM   #79
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just dropped the car off will update you guys further! Hoping they can replicate the problem
My repairs are complete, they mentioned they were going to test it today but its not very cold. So depending on how that goes, I think I am going to ask them to hold onto it until Monday to test one last time in the cold after sitting all weekend just to make sure.

Removing the belt/pulleys is a process on these cars. They have to remove under paneling, bracing, charge pipe, different pieces from the top, and drain coolant just to get access. German Engineering
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 12:24 PM   #80
GabesSlowM4
Private First Class
Rep

SA reached out to me initially saying they were unable to replicate the problem. I then told them to let the car warm up to operational temperature. They did and they were able to replicate the issue. Like others have said the pulley is on back order but should be in on Tuesday. They’re going to start with just the belt and repeat the procedure to see if the noise returns. If it does then they’ll order the idler as well as the other components to replace. They have to go in steps per BMW. However the SA did say they have been having some issues with some S58’s belts/idler pulleys.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #81
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
SA reached out to me initially saying they were unable to replicate the problem. I then told them to let the car warm up to operational temperature. They did and they were able to replicate the issue. Like others have said the pulley is on back order but should be in on Tuesday. They’re going to start with just the belt and repeat the procedure to see if the noise returns. If it does then they’ll order the idler as well as the other components to replace. They have to go in steps per BMW. However the SA did say they have been having some issues with some S58’s belts/idler pulleys.
Glad you are on the right track getting this fixed! This is finally coming into light. It blows my mind that for the last year I have been trying to get this fixed, I have heard people say "my car does it too, its normal"

If my car sounds funny and its under warranty still, I am taking it in . No other vehicle makes this sound on cold start except these S58 motors. Moral of the story -- its NOT normal and many were quick to dismiss it.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 02:59 PM   #82
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
They are testing mine one last time this coming Monday after it cold soaks all weekend. We both agreed it will be a good idea to test it in the 20-30 deg Fahrenheit temperatures Monday morning to verify it is truly good to go
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 04:04 PM   #83
GabesSlowM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They are testing mine one last time this coming Monday after it cold soaks all weekend. We both agreed it will be a good idea to test it in the 20-30 deg Fahrenheit temperatures Monday morning to verify it is truly good to go
Hoping its resolved for you! Many best wishes!
Appreciate 1
Krisp97296.50
      03-15-2024, 04:08 PM   #84
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hoping its resolved for you! Many best wishes!
Hey you too, sounds like your service department is onto it also! Its like chasing a ghost. lol

I just am excited to be able to drive it and not have it making an egregious sound when starting it up in the mornings.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 09:54 AM   #85
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: They ended up replacing the deflection pulley (aka idler pulley) and retested this morning and all was good after sitting all weekend. After what I have been reading, many dealers are replacing tensioner AND deflection pulley, most of the issues seem to stem from the deflection pulley alone.

Almost a year and a half of chasing the issue and it is hopefully fixed for good!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:34 AM   #86
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

BMW really needs to put out a TSB for this. For those of you who ran into this issue and had your dealer spend a lot of time back and forth with BMW tech hotline or even by themselves trying to isolate the issue, have them escalate your case and work performed to the tech line for them to build a TSB case from it. If they get enough hits for the same thing, they will issue one and it’ll make future fixes on this for users go by a lot quicker since it’ll pop in their searches if they look it up.
Appreciate 2
Krisp97296.50
      03-18-2024, 10:57 AM   #87
Krisp97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
BMW really needs to put out a TSB for this. For those of you who ran into this issue and had your dealer spend a lot of time back and forth with BMW tech hotline or even by themselves trying to isolate the issue, have them escalate your case and work performed to the tech line for them to build a TSB case from it. If they get enough hits for the same thing, they will issue one and it’ll make future fixes on this for users go by a lot quicker since it’ll pop in their searches if they look it up.
Love this. That is why I have been encouraging everyone to take it in and not write it off as "normal" lol. Hoping this becomes more widely known soon for those in the future.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #88
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Love this. That is why I have been encouraging everyone to take it in and not write it off as "normal" lol. Hoping this becomes more widely known soon for those in the future.
Lol, having the king of idler and tensioner pulleys engine (ie Audi’s supercharged 3.0) in my S4, I can tell you I’ve spent some quality time with my front end in service mode fixing this same type of issue in the past. Let’s just say that when you go with higher crank pulley sizes to make more power, changing the accessory belt becomes a dance of loosing tensioners enough to swing completely out the way so you can remove or partially remove an idler behind them to be able to slip that belt off. Yeah, fun. It’s been my findings that steady squealing that doesn’t change intonation much is usually a static mounted idler and if there any kind of wha wha intonation affect to the sound it’ll usually be the tensioner, which depending on spring tension health can deflect quite a bit as you rev the engine either a little or a lot. Either way, the issue is the bearing in them and nothing more. On the S58, since it’s just one small belt and package, loosen the tensioner, take the belt off to reduce drag and spin either pulley by hand. The problem one will usually make a small mouse sound as you spin it back and forth or it’ll feel a tiny bit gritty on the spin.

Now imagine having this sound constantly and be RPM based… had that happen in a WRX years ago and it was one of the guide/idler pulleys for the timing belt. That was fun getting the dealership to trust what I was saying and to just dig in there and find the goofy one. First time they’d seen that. Lol
Appreciate 2
Krisp97296.50