home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-01-2024, 03:57 PM   #67
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I’ve done 4 tunes with Paul on my F-bodies, all a great experience. The last tune was extra hot sauce which got my built F82 to a 10.0s 1/4mi.

A built G80 is next and Paul’s already paid.
      03-01-2024, 04:26 PM   #68
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 2018 M2

I can certainly chime in on this subject but be prepared for another lengthy read. I have had the experience of utilizing both tuners on my 2023 G80 Xdrive and CJ on my Big Turbo F87. To start I am not here to bash on anyone, I am simply giving you my unbiased and honest opinion based off of my experience with Cary Jordan and Paul Johnson Tunes.

I have had my G80 Xdrive since last June and if anyone knows me I do not keep any of my cars stock for long. I know there is risk; however, I accept these going in. This goes without saying that when I do mod I am wanting to ensure I have the best experience with whatever platform it is as possible. Alright now that that’s out of the way I am going to separate my experience by starting off with a list of my mods as well as Carys experience, followed by Paul Johnson.

Vehicle: 2023 G80 Xdrive
Intake: MST Intakes
Downpipes: MAD Catless Downpipes
Midpipe: AA EL Midpipe
ECU: Femto CustomROM Unlock Bm3 / Full OTS Map Pack / Custom Cary Jordan E50 Tune / Custom E55 Paul Johnson Tune
TCU: CS Map Pack(Steering, Suspension, Diff) / XHP Full OTS Map Pack
Suspension: KW HAS
Spacers: BMS 13MM all around

Cary Jordan Tune
Total Revisions: 7

Alright so I began my Custom tuning journey with Cary Jordan. I believed regardless of the chatter going on with bimmerpost I had a good experience with him on my prior platform which was a Big Turbo F87 M2. The experience with him at that time was quite good as he was very knowledgeable about the F Series N55/S55 Platform, and I had zero issues with him and car was performing to my satisfaction.

I went ahead and gave him another go on my S58. At first when I flashed his base map the car felt good. It felt like there was a surge in power in the lower rpm band range hence to me seeming the vehicle was moving out faster. As I began logging and receiving new revisions i began getting what felt like oscillation cuts. It almost felt like a fuel cut or something but was only happening around 6k+ rpm intermittently. I addressed this with him and he continued to make adjustments; it seemed to be somewhat flip floppy with it getting better and worse. Towards my last and final revision CJ informed me that the fueling is maxed out and he cannot go further and I proceeded to go just agree with him and was told if I am having any additional oscillation or misfire I need to change my spark plugs out.

So I went ahead and swapped my plugs out to if I remember right they were NGK96206 (correct me if I am wrong) and gappend them to .022. This did make the car feel somewhat smoother but I was still facing the same issue so I began working on my XHP settings and tweaking them and that’s when things seemed to smooth out a bit more; however, that’s when I ran into my first scary power cut. The car cut my redline down to 4K rpm’s and gave me some vanos codes. (I can post them up if anyone is interested) At this point I felt something was off and the car seemed to be fighting itself, so at this point I went ahead and spoke with another forum member who was experiencing the same sort of issues I was and I went ahead and dragy’d a run on the car. To my surprise the car was trapping a 7.0 - 7.3 second 60-130 time with my best being 6.87. After comparing these result it was running no quicker than the OTS E50 map which was quite disappointing as when I ran the OTS map I didn’t have a single oscillation or misfire issue. At this point I went ahead and deleted CJ’s map and after some research, pulled the trigger on Paul Johnson.

Paul Johnson Tune
Revisions: 4 (currently still revising)

So right out the flood gates Paul Johnson is completed different. He gave me a specific breakdown on what advanced settings he wanted me to activate in the dataloging advanced settings that CJ never did, as well as his level of being thorough/care seemed to be much higher and more involved. Upon flashing his initial base map I already trapped a 6.5 second 60-130 continuously and immediately noticed the car was leagues smoother at idle and power delivery was extremely smooth yet strong. It was quite surprising to me the level of dedication him and his team on the S58 platform and is super meticulous and very informative/responsive. I have continued to cut my times and should be in the 5’s with my latest revision but just haven’t had the time to take the car out since “Seattle Weather”. The shifts are crisp and smooth, power delivery is strong, it makes me really enjoy the car again without worrying about something blowing up.

Recap: so the big takeaway that I have really gathered from my experience is that it seems as though Cary Jordan hasn’t figured out how to manipulate the tables regard torque limits, fuel trim applications, etc regarding the S58 platform. I believe with time that he may get this figured out but as of the moment i personally do not feel confident with his tunes for the S58 platform. I would ideally recommend just sticking with the OTS e50 map if your not looking to be faster as CJ’s map is not going to give you and gains and tbh it’s running worse than the OTS map.

If any of you have any questions please let me know but this has just been my experience with these two platforms 👍
Appreciate 11
forcefed2562.50
TopJimmy5460.00
RUNSOK237.00
DocMus0.00
MIM5219.50
davisy2k177.50
Sonic RR118.50
FSociety3812.50
eric97h95.50
NickPJT111.50
      03-01-2024, 04:48 PM   #69
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep

TopJimmy my Paul tune is a bit hot sauce too as I’m getting ready for a drag and roll event 03/09-03/10. He has certainly been the best to work with by far 🔥
Appreciate 3
TopJimmy5460.00
NickPJT111.50
      03-02-2024, 12:09 AM   #70
1BAD4DR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 23 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronM2LCI View Post
I can certainly chime in on this subject but be prepared for another lengthy read. I have had the experience of utilizing both tuners on my 2023 G80 Xdrive and CJ on my Big Turbo F87. To start I am not here to bash on anyone, I am simply giving you my unbiased and honest opinion based off of my experience with Cary Jordan and Paul Johnson Tunes.

I have had my G80 Xdrive since last June and if anyone knows me I do not keep any of my cars stock for long. I know there is risk; however, I accept these going in. This goes without saying that when I do mod I am wanting to ensure I have the best experience with whatever platform it is as possible. Alright now that that’s out of the way I am going to separate my experience by starting off with a list of my mods as well as Carys experience, followed by Paul Johnson.

Vehicle: 2023 G80 Xdrive
Intake: MST Intakes
Downpipes: MAD Catless Downpipes
Midpipe: AA EL Midpipe
ECU: Femto CustomROM Unlock Bm3 / Full OTS Map Pack / Custom Cary Jordan E50 Tune / Custom E55 Paul Johnson Tune
TCU: CS Map Pack(Steering, Suspension, Diff) / XHP Full OTS Map Pack
Suspension: KW HAS
Spacers: BMS 13MM all around

Cary Jordan Tune
Total Revisions: 7

Alright so I began my Custom tuning journey with Cary Jordan. I believed regardless of the chatter going on with bimmerpost I had a good experience with him on my prior platform which was a Big Turbo F87 M2. The experience with him at that time was quite good as he was very knowledgeable about the F Series N55/S55 Platform, and I had zero issues with him and car was performing to my satisfaction.

I went ahead and gave him another go on my S58. At first when I flashed his base map the car felt good. It felt like there was a surge in power in the lower rpm band range hence to me seeming the vehicle was moving out faster. As I began logging and receiving new revisions i began getting what felt like oscillation cuts. It almost felt like a fuel cut or something but was only happening around 6k+ rpm intermittently. I addressed this with him and he continued to make adjustments; it seemed to be somewhat flip floppy with it getting better and worse. Towards my last and final revision CJ informed me that the fueling is maxed out and he cannot go further and I proceeded to go just agree with him and was told if I am having any additional oscillation or misfire I need to change my spark plugs out.

So I went ahead and swapped my plugs out to if I remember right they were NGK96206 (correct me if I am wrong) and gappend them to .022. This did make the car feel somewhat smoother but I was still facing the same issue so I began working on my XHP settings and tweaking them and that’s when things seemed to smooth out a bit more; however, that’s when I ran into my first scary power cut. The car cut my redline down to 4K rpm’s and gave me some vanos codes. (I can post them up if anyone is interested) At this point I felt something was off and the car seemed to be fighting itself, so at this point I went ahead and spoke with another forum member who was experiencing the same sort of issues I was and I went ahead and dragy’d a run on the car. To my surprise the car was trapping a 7.0 - 7.3 second 60-130 time with my best being 6.87. After comparing these result it was running no quicker than the OTS E50 map which was quite disappointing as when I ran the OTS map I didn’t have a single oscillation or misfire issue. At this point I went ahead and deleted CJ’s map and after some research, pulled the trigger on Paul Johnson.

Paul Johnson Tune
Revisions: 4 (currently still revising)

So right out the flood gates Paul Johnson is completed different. He gave me a specific breakdown on what advanced settings he wanted me to activate in the dataloging advanced settings that CJ never did, as well as his level of being thorough/care seemed to be much higher and more involved. Upon flashing his initial base map I already trapped a 6.5 second 60-130 continuously and immediately noticed the car was leagues smoother at idle and power delivery was extremely smooth yet strong. It was quite surprising to me the level of dedication him and his team on the S58 platform and is super meticulous and very informative/responsive. I have continued to cut my times and should be in the 5’s with my latest revision but just haven’t had the time to take the car out since “Seattle Weather”. The shifts are crisp and smooth, power delivery is strong, it makes me really enjoy the car again without worrying about something blowing up.

Recap: so the big takeaway that I have really gathered from my experience is that it seems as though Cary Jordan hasn’t figured out how to manipulate the tables regard torque limits, fuel trim applications, etc regarding the S58 platform. I believe with time that he may get this figured out but as of the moment i personally do not feel confident with his tunes for the S58 platform. I would ideally recommend just sticking with the OTS e50 map if your not looking to be faster as CJ’s map is not going to give you and gains and tbh it’s running worse than the OTS map.

If any of you have any questions please let me know but this has just been my experience with these two platforms 👍
Wow this was the exact same experience I had with my dyno tuned g80 by Jordan. The throttle felt so sensitive it was not pleasant to drive. I got rid of the tune weeks later pissed I paid so much money for him to dyno tune it. I just knew the car wasn’t right. Got with Paul and never looked back car runs amazing all the way through the gears and top end. Throttle is perfect and I love driving the car on E!!
Appreciate 2
Sonic RR118.50
      03-02-2024, 01:50 AM   #71
sanczo17@wp.pl
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240

I asked for my money back
because he didn't finish make a map
he told me there are no refunds
job done

Be careful with the services from JordanTuned, LLC
Appreciate 2
Sonic RR118.50
      03-02-2024, 09:48 AM   #72
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

I think it’s import to research who you will be tuning with. Look for those who have great success with multiple cars of the same platform and ideally the same combo you have.

Right now I’m feeling Utku, Paul, and STI Mikey. Mike has those Puerto Rican boys flying!
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2024, 10:23 AM   #73
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

I have only heard negative things about Jordan tunes. I would stay away.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2024, 07:21 PM   #74
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep

I totally agree with making sure to research especially with what is recommended for each specific platform based off of the most recent recommendations/experiences from other members as they are the ones who are truly using/testing the results of the tunes/services received. At this current moment in time I would highly recommend Paul Johnson or Stimikey (Mikey) for the S58 platform. They are extremely passionate in the worth that they do and their teams are extremely thorough with each and every individual they work with.

My recommendation is that if you notice any sort of irregularity please do not hesitate informing your tuner of the inconsistency and give as much possible details with explaining what you are experiencing and where you are feeling it in the rpm band. If you are feeling any sort of sudden power cut, make sure to immediately let off the throttle and cease continual WOT operations.
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      03-03-2024, 12:14 PM   #75
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
If you are feeling any sort of sudden power cut, make sure to immediately let off the throttle and seize continual WOT operations.
probably want to cease them instead of seize them
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50
      03-04-2024, 12:21 AM   #76
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for pointing that out. Was pretty sick when I was writing it up. Haven’t gotten around to fixing all the grammatical errors 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:11 AM   #77
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. Was pretty sick when I was writing it up. Haven’t gotten around to fixing all the grammatical errors 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 12:05 AM   #78
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

I can only speak to F80 Paul's tunes based on my old M2 Comp. (S55) I'll save you the boring read I've already posted on other threads, but the dude can tune a car! I reached out to them about potentially tuning my G82 and they immediately responded, and remembered me from that tune they did on my old car... That's worth something to me, because at least you know they're paying attention to their customers.

Bottom line, if you need/want a no BS FAST car that'll actually run well, and you can drive, don't hesitate to reach out to Paul Johnson and his team. I will point out one more thing...if you're one of those guys who are too lazy or just don't "feel" like following explicit instructions, don't waste their time and then bash them for not being good tuners. They're only as good as the information you return to back to them. (datalogging) YES, it's important!
Appreciate 3
TopJimmy5460.00
Dawgz1015.00
AshtonPJT281.00
      03-11-2024, 04:14 PM   #79
eric97h
Bmw340i Mppsk, bm3 tune,vrsf downpipe dinan intake
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i fbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
I have only heard negative things about Jordan tunes. I would stay away.
Boy do i have a story to tell you i had my 2018 bmw 340i b58 tuned by cary jordan this was before the birth of the new m340i and the new fuel pumps even came out and he said its ok to go full e85 tune . He convinced me i went full e85 custom tune on my 340i i even got a dyno cuz i tried to street tune it with him and it genuinly did not work i kept having power cuts and it was scary af even after the dyno tune this still happened me and him got in a huge argument he also tried to tune my car even down to e50 and e40 and i was still fuel cuttin new plugs i dont get how he didnt realize that the 340i fuel pump couldnt handle that at the time i got a full refund from him and all i have heard is bad things from him. sorry for my run on sentence but i needed to get this out asap lmaoo
|firehawk tires and hawk perfomance brake pads | |bimmer code, | upgraded spark plugs full carbon exterior
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:31 AM   #80
mikewho_G82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82X

more options than just these two. I use Bend Calibration who have been very good to me and they are extremely knowledgeable on the S58. check them out you will be happy you did.
Appreciate 1
DocMus0.00
      03-22-2024, 11:20 AM   #81
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

GTP is another one local G8x guys I know recommend very highly. Several great options, which makes it harder to choose.
      04-01-2024, 05:26 AM   #82
kurdishcuts
kurdishcuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
GTP is another one local G8x guys I know recommend very highly. Several great options, which makes it harder to choose.
I’m currently on an e40 tune by GTP Yerbol. Took about 4 revisions. Car is aggressive and feels great through the powerband. I’m still learning as well as my G80 is my first car I’ve ever had custom tuned. I plan on reaching out again to check some logs to see if everything still looks good and healthy as it’s been a few months driving with his tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 01:49 PM   #83
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurdishcuts View Post
I’m currently on an e40 tune by GTP Yerbol. Took about 4 revisions. Car is aggressive and feels great through the powerband. I’m still learning as well as my G80 is my first car I’ve ever had custom tuned. I plan on reaching out again to check some logs to see if everything still looks good and healthy as it’s been a few months driving with his tune.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0